Author Topic: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook  (Read 28328 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 02:15:06 am »
There's several different ways I make this, but this is probably the easiest! It is fast, simple and requires NO baking!  :D

Key Lime Pie

You will need:

9" graham cracker pie crust
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. non-dairy topping (ie: Cool Whip)
1/2 cup lime juice

Mix condensed milk with non-dairy topping at medium speed until blended. Add lime juice to mixture and blend well. Pour into graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.  :D

This sounds delicious!  Is it legal to make something so rich and easy?  My eyes are opened.  I am enlightened.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 02:20:11 am »
It sounds like Indiana and Arkansas are somewhat similar; we use some of the same terminology Shasta. DId you also call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper" when you were growing up? We did! And like you, I grew up on cornbread! Mom also made lots and lots of fry bread, which is a Lakota Sioux recipe. Maybe I'll post a fry bread recipe here sometime soon! It's good!!  :D

Same thing on the meals---there was no "lunch". LOL I grew up in Missouri, but it was in the southeast corner of the BOOTHEEL, so just 1/2 mile from Arkansas. I could ride my bicycle to Arkansas in minutes. Our daily cornbread was usually accompanied by beans---Great Northern beans---sometimes white and sometimes brown. My doctor said that I had about the LOWest cholesterol he'd ever seen---I credited the beans. LOL Did your folks raise a garden? We had to have a garden every year too. Looking forward to the fry bread recipe. My granny made the best "chocolate gravy"--no recipe, tho. She just made it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 02:27:30 am »

This sounds delicious!  Is it legal to make something so rich and easy?  My eyes are opened.  I am enlightened.

Clarissa, it should be illegal because it's so good! I was taught this recipe when I lived in South Florida. I use several variations of it though, but this is one of the easiest I think. It's one of the best too! Key Lime Pie is VERY good during the summer, when it is so hot and muggy outside, but it's also good any time of the year. I'll normally make two or threee of them at a time, because my room mate loves them, and so does Alex when he's here visiting me.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:01 am »
Same thing on the meals---there was no "lunch". LOL I grew up in Missouri, but it was in the southeast corner of the BOOTHEEL, so just 1/2 mile from Arkansas. I could ride my bicycle to Arkansas in minutes. Our daily cornbread was usually accompanied by beans---Great Northern beans---sometimes white and sometimes brown. My doctor said that I had about the LOWest cholesterol he'd ever seen---I credited the beans. LOL Did your folks raise a garden? We had to have a garden every year too. Looking forward to the fry bread recipe. My granny made the best "chocolate gravy"--no recipe, tho. She just made it.

Oh Lord Yes!!! Dad had a garden. He grew tomatoes, carrots, butter beans, spinach, snap beans, turnips, and about 7 kinds of lettuce!! He loved his garden, but he gave most of what he grew away to friends and neighbors. He had to plow his garden under several years ago because he isn't in any shape to take care of a garden that big anymore.  :'(

But he sure did enjoy his garden for many years and we had more vegetables (and fruit too) than we knew what to do with!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 02:47:55 am »
Mom and Dad accidentally grew a winter carrot once. In January I think. Ewww, it was terrible.  :P

They yanked it out of the ground and brought it in and COOKED it!!! It had the consistency of rubber and it squirted out a terrible tasting juice when we tried to eat it. I damn near got sick right where I sat.  :laugh:

Whew! Lord! I'll never forget that awful tasting winter carrot as long as I live!  :P  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 04:14:46 am »
And I'm not exaggerating about that winter carrot either. It looked like something Harry Potter cut off the Whomping Tree.

I swear that sucker had branches growing on it.  :P

And for those of you in Northern Climes, if you find something growing in your garden in the middle of January... just leave it there. Don't pull it out, and PLEASE GOD don't try to eat it. Just leave it there and let nature take it's course. Okay??  :P

injest

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:39 am »
It comes in a can, Clarissa. You should be able to find it in your grocery store. Look for Borden's "Eagle Brand". If you can't find it, you can always  substitute it with buttermilk. I like the sweet milk because it adds a sweet taste to the corn bread.  :D

ok...I can handle the Indian thing. I can handle the African/American thing. I can handle the gay thing. Heck, I can even handle the Dang YANKEE thing.

but I draw the line at SWEET cornbread!!

THAT is just WRONG!! Sacrilege! I can't let my mom know I am associating with someone that likes his cornbread sweet!

:laugh: :laugh: ;) :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 07:58:57 am »
Now don't you go dissing us Yankees, Jess!

I read this somewhere once:

To people from the rest of the world, Yankees are Americans.
To Americans, Yankees are New Englanders.
To New Englanders, Yankees are from Vermont.
To Vermonters, Yankees are people who eat cheddar cheese with their apple pie for breakfast.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 08:03:36 am »
Here's a cornbread variation...I guess this is a Yankee recipe, I got it out of the (Maine) newspaper years ago.

Creamy Double Corn Cornbread

2 large eggs
1 15 oz. can cream style corn
3/4 to 1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1 cup cornmeal

Mix eggs, cream style corn and sour cream together. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add to the liquid mixture. Stir lightly until mixed. Turn into a greased and heated 9 inch square pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until well browned. Cut into squares and serve.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:35 pm »
When I was growing up--in the country--we called regular milk "sweet milk" to distinguish it from buttermilk. We called the sweetened condensed milk "Eagle Brand Milk" even if that's not the brand we used. We also used "light bread" for regular bread to distinguish it from cornbread which was served daily. Seems so strange now.

Us too, sweet milk was regular milk...  :)

David my Mom used to make cornbread too and her recipe was almost the same as your.  Except she reduced the buttermilk to ½ cup and added one  can of cream style corn.  It was so moist and delicate there was never any left over but I bet it was just as good the next day too.  My Dad use to put it in a bowl with a little milk on it.

Hey Shasta!  Mom also use to make Chocolate Gravy for us too!  This is her recipe, it is delicious...

Chocolate Gravy

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS

1.   Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add cocoa and flour; stir until a thick paste is formed. Stir in sugar and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.  Serve over hot buttered biscuits, toast or pancakes.
Life is not a dress rehearsal