Author Topic: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook  (Read 28398 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 12:42:24 pm »
Mom use to take Teddy and me berry pickin and she would bake pies and cakes…the cake is my favorite

Melt-In-Your-Mouth-Huckleberry Cake

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 cups fresh huckleberries

DIRECTIONS

Beat 1/2 cup butter or margarine in large bowl until creamy; add 1 cup white sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until light and creamy. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Fold in beaten egg whites. Fold in the fresh berries. Shake a little of the dry ingredients over the berries, before adding them to the mix so the berries won't sink to the bottom.

Turn into a greased 8 by 8-inch pan. Sprinkle top of the batter lightly with granulated sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Huckleberry Pie

INGREDIENTS
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup lard
3 cups fresh huckleberries (you can substitute frozen)
1 cup sugar
6-8 Tbs. Flour ( You can add more flour or less depending on preference)

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 425°

Pour huckleberries into medium bowl and toss sugar and 6-8 tablespoons four with them (gently) until all berries are covered. Set aside and make pastry.

In medium bowl mix 2 cups flour, salt and lard, using two knives or any other pastry blender. I always do it with my fingers, squeezing the lard into the flour mixture until it's all crumbled and looks like cornmeal. (Wash hand first) Add about 8 tablespoons of ice water, tossing gently with a fork until it sticks together and can be rolled out. (Add more water to make it stick, a little at a time.) Roll out 1/2 of the dough on a floured, flat surface. Place on bottom of pie pan and fill with huckleberry mixture. Roll remaining dough and put on top of pie. Deal the edges and crimp edges in decorative style. Put fork pricks in the center for air to escape. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely.

Note: This always leaks, no matter how carefully you try to crimp the edges, so if you don't have an oven that cleans itself, put a lining of tinfoil under the pie to catch the spill.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 01:24:30 pm »
For those of you who enjoy Gazpacho (the Spanish cold soup), you might want to try Salmorejo. It's similar to Gazpacho but thicker. I got the recipe from a cookbook.

Ingredients:

2 pounds of ripe tomatoes
1 clove of Garlic
10 ounces of bread (Spaniards use baguette, the remains of the day before. Not very fresh).
1/2 Cup of Olive oil
Vinegar to taste (try not to add much, just a bit)
Salt to taste
A slice or two of cured ham

Preparation

In a blender mix the tomatoes, with the bread, the olive oil, the garlic, the salt and the vinegar until it is fully blended and soft. Put in the fridge for two hours or so until it is cold. Before serving, cut the ham slices into dices, and add them to each dish. Like in the picture:

Some people add a boiled egg cut into dices. But I don't like it. I prefer it with ham.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 02:24:04 pm »
ok...I can handle the Indian thing. I can handle the African/American thing. I can handle the gay thing. Heck, I can even handle the Dang YANKEE thing.

but I draw the line at SWEET cornbread!!

THAT is just WRONG!! Sacrilege! I can't let my mom know I am associating with someone that likes his cornbread sweet!

:laugh: :laugh: ;) :-*

Jess, it doesn't make the cornbread sweet. It just makes it a little sweeter. It's a very slight sweet under taste.

You're a trip girl!!  :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 03:09:53 pm »
Oh I love the Huckleberry recipes, I am gonna try them. Need a conversion table though...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

:D

Mel

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:37:03 pm »
Oh I love the Huckleberry recipes, I am gonna try them. Need a conversion table though...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

:D

Mel

Enjoy Mel !  Glad I could provide you with a recipe  ;D

This jam is one my Mom made in large batches and froze every fall she served it with venison, elk and duck or goose. I still make it in the fall and freeze it in small plastic containers.  Bob and I love it and so far so does everyone I've ever served it to.  It is delicious with roasted or grilled pork, lamb or chicken.  My brother always steals a container when he's in town he likes it on steak on the grill or fresh trout.

Sweet Onion Jam

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds sweet onions
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (my Mom used Cider Vinegar but I find balsamic gives it more depth)
1/3 cup dry red wine
dash salt

PREPARATION:

Peel onions; cut in half lengthwise then slice thinly.
Melt butter in a large skillet or saucepan; add sliced onions and cook, covered, over medium-low heat until tender and translucent. Stir frequently.

Combine the remaining ingredients; add to the sliced onions and stir to blend. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until syrupy. The syrup should coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.

Keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days. Freeze in small amounts for later use.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 01:15:08 am »
Oh WOW Dottie, that sweet onion jam sounds really good!  :D

I'm gonna try that sometime!

Here's another recipe....

Hoosier Country Fried Chicken

You will need:

3 lbs frying chicken (cut into pieces)
Shortening (trans fat free) or Canola oil which is what I've been using lately
1/2 cup of milk
1 egg
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of corn meal
2 teaspoons of garlic salt
2 teaspoons of table salt
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
1 small pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of black pepper

Blend the milk and egg. Then combine the flour and cornmeal and the seasonings in a paper bag. Shake the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Dip the chicken pieces into the egg/milk mixture and then shake chicken a second time in the seasoning to coat thoroughly and evenly.

Melt the shortening or pour the Canola oil in a skillet to about 1 inch deep and heat to 365 F. Brown the chicken on all sides. Reduce the heat to 275 F and continue cooking until the chicken is tender (about 30-40 minutes). DO NOT COVER! Be sure to turn the chicken pieces several times during cooking. Drain the chicken pieces on paper towels.

If you do not like corn meal, you may leave it out and increase the flour to 1 cup.

For extra crispy chicken, add finely crunched corn flakes to the flour/corn meal mixture.

For extra spicy chicken, increase poultry seasoning to 1/2 teaspoon and black pepper to 2 teaspoons.

For those of you on a diet, remove the chicken skin before frying for a fat free fried chicken!  :D (Try to say THAT fast three times in a row!!)

Enjoy!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 01:28:11 am »
Fried Green Tomatoes

This is very popular in Indiana and one of my favorites for lunch!!!

You will need:

4 medium green tomatoes (If you don't like green tomatoes, you can substitute with half ripened ones)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons table salt
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup milk
Shortening or Canola oil

Thoroughly wash tomatoes, but do not peel them. Cut the tomatoes into 3/4 inch slices and place on paper towels to drain. Combine the flour, salt, sugar and pepper. Dust the tomatoes in the flour mixture on both sides. Add the milk to the remaining flour mixture to make a thick batter. Dip the floured tomatoes in the batter. Fry in the hot oil 1/2 inch deep until golden brown on both sides. This recipe makes about 6 servings.

I always make a sandwich of my fried green tomatoes with white bread and mayonnaise. They are also very good served plain on a plate!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 01:33:12 am »
For those of you who enjoy Gazpacho (the Spanish cold soup), you might want to try Salmorejo. It's similar to Gazpacho but thicker. I got the recipe from a cookbook.

Natali, I'm going to try your soup sometime soon. It sounds WONDERFUL and fairly easy to make! Thanks for posting the recipe!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 01:46:42 am »

Please Stay Tuned For The Fry Bread Recipe!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Mmmmmmm..... Yummy!!!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 11:11:16 pm »
Fry bread has been popular on the Sioux side of the  family for hundreds of years. I was raised on fry bread, and mom would make it once or twice a week, especially on the weekends. Fry bread recipes will vary from tribe to tribe, but the one below is a popular Lakota Sioux recipe and one my mother frequently used. Enjoy!!  :D

Lakota Fry Bread

You will need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, dry milk, and salt together. Stir in the water until you have a sticky dough.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and sprinkle with flour. Roll out to a 16-by-12-inch rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into twenty-four 2-inch squares. Cut a 1/2-inch slit in the middle of each square.

Add enough oil to a deep cast-iron skillet or a deep-fat fryer to reach a depth of 1 to 2 inches and heat it to 350 to 365 degrees. (The oil is ready when a piece of dough sizzles as soon as it is placed in the pan.) In batches, fry the squares of dough, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.

Fry bread is very good served plain, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or drizzled with berry syrup, or topped with your favorite taco ingredients.