Author Topic: Discrimination  (Read 18280 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Discrimination
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »
  Kelda....  Let's look at language noting that when a person calls the legitimate postion of a president of any nation into question by calling him "the so called president" of Iran, that is an insult, plain and simple.  She might as well have called him "a fake".  That's not an opinion. 

The President of Iran was elected by his own people.  He isn't the "so called president"; he's the duly elected president of Iran.  That

Just stating my point of view Rayn - which is that the statement was not an insult just an opinion that she dislikes the person - our point of views are obviously different on that! Generally I know I and many other write as we would talk on this board. And if I was to speak this statement I would not see that not as an insult just an opinion.

:)

EDITED TO CLARIFY:

What I'm trying to say here is that this is a board where colloquialisms and easy use language is generally used. I have a good grasp of the English language, I would say, but I don't feel the need in bettermost to go to huge lengths to check that my use is grammatically correct or proper written English is observed (checking dictionaries etc) as I am writing and speaking to my friends in a chatty manner generally. I have to write in a formal matter enough at work!!  :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 11:16:52 am by Kelda »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007, 05:13:46 am »
...., the Iranian President IS the visible head of state for Iran, and he should be treated with absolute and total respect when he is in the United States. I was shocked, angry and disappointed by the way he was treated at Columbia University. They invited him into their "house" and then treated him like crap while he was there. I've always believed Americans to be a warm and kind hearted people; at least for the most part. We certainly didn't live up to those qualities last Monday at Columbia University. It disappoints me.

Exactly, thanks David.... and there have to be others, but you are the first to actually get the real point I am making.  Respect people, or as someone so long ago said in more radical terms...

LOVE YOUR ENEMIES! 

And if you can't love them, at least

Treat them with respect... .

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 05:58:54 am »
Just stating my point of view Rayn - which is that the statement was not an insult just an opinion that she dislikes the person - our point of views are obviously different on that! Generally I know I and many other write as we would talk on this board. And if I was to speak this statement I would not see that not as an insult just an opinion.

I have never given a point of view.  I have only pointed out that I don't like insults on the board, no matter if they are directed toward people I know or toward a distant head of state that no one knows personally.  This is something, as a moderator, you might understand.  But to sum up and be done with it, if Wishes were to speak the statement she wrote, we would hear tone of voice and it would not be polite, of that I am sure. 

I'm sorry, dear Kelda, but you have a misunderstanding of English which, if you care to clear up, any ordinary dictionary will give you the meaning of so-called the way Wishes used it and it's neither nice nor an opinion. 

From the Cambridge Dictionary:

so-called    adjective [before noun]
1. used to show that you think a word that is used to describe someone or something is not suitable or not correct: It was one of his so-called friends who supplied him with the drugs that killed him.

It's ok though, I'm quite used to this sort of thing.  My devotion to words and language are due to being an English teacher, and I can tell you,  even people in university don't get it or don't care to get it.   It's often hard to tell which.   But I do my best and wish you, yours, Kelda.  Farewell.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Pushing the Envelop of Discrimination & Hatred...
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 06:44:57 am »
he is a despot and a dictator He doesn't deserve any respect. I am glad the President of the univerity challanged him.No one has yet. He can spew his propoganda to Diane Sawyer, say what he wants on all the major news channels and no one challenges him at all!   My Grandfather was part of the allied forces that liberated the concentration camps. He went into Nordhausen.  After the people were liberated he was in charge of documenting the atrocities for the Nuremburg war tribunals. My Grandfather still has nightmares today. Anyone who denies the holocost, calls for Isreal and the US to be wiped off the map, murders homosexuals and sponsors terrorists does not deserve any respect. respect is somthing that is earned and in my book he hasn't earned any. If Hitler came to speak would you give him your rspect? What about Pol Pot or  Stalin? He is an evil man not worthy ofmy time or respect!

Once again.... the question comes up in my mind.... why all the hatred? 

My Dad fought the Japanese, but I don't hate them, nor does he.  My grandfather left Russia while Stalin was in power, but he didn't hate him.   

Hitler was a great man, as in "a man of great consequence".    I don't hate him.  In fact, I'm positive I would have completely disagreed with him had I lived in his time, but I would have listened to him speak.  He was a spell binding orator--- I might have asked him the same question, "Why all the hatred?"   But see! Even our gay brother, Jeffery Dahmer, terrifying murderer that he was, had a mother & father who loved him!

There is good and evil in each of us, isn't there?  There is health of body and mind and sickness in every human being...."There are two dogs fighting in every man.  One is mean, vicious, the other, gentle and kind.  Which one will win... The one you feed the most."     

And who is the ultimate judge of men and women?  Is there One, really?  I don't know. 

I do know that when I am filled with hatred and disrespect for other human beings, I hurt no one but myself.  So, why do it at all? Why push the envelop of hate when we can push the envelop of love?    

Push the envelop of love and see what happens.

Think about it, take it to your heart and see what it does there
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:33:05 am by Rayn »

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007, 06:53:12 am »
This is a difficult topic, discrimination, and I feel I've given enough time and energy to it; so farewell fellow brokies on this one.  Bye.

Peace,
Rayn