Author Topic: Good Old Boy to I learned about Women from 'Er. by twistedude.  (Read 9945 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
ALL OR ANY CRITICISM WELCOME, here or by PM or by e-mail!

(1) :(
This ain't no rodeo,cowboy,  I'm NOT sorry, and 's sure as hell ain't all right--and I can't cook worth a damn . Oh--and no sex (to speak of). Things are not as they seem...a HUGE thank you to Leslie, who helped not only get the story, er, unkinked,  but with communications with fanfiction--nearly impossible for a computer-illiterate like me.

Good Old Boy 1983 by Julie Vognar

Live Journal: http://julievognar.livejournal.com/645.html

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2920589/1/

(2) :) :)
NEW STORY: (some of you will hate it the minute you see the title...if you don't like my 35-year-old, 6'5", schoolteacher, with curly red hair,  I'll be happy to leave you alone...)_given a C2 rating by the fanfiction moderator, which means he/.she thinks it's good (whatever that means).

"Prequel: Sentimental Education 1962-63"

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2941248/1/

Live Journal: http://julievognar.livejournal.com/436.html

"Be Nice, Wouldn't It? 1984" (A Distant Sequel)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2948535/1/       

Live Journal: http://julievognar.com/1021.html

(4) :'( ;D >:( >:(
Nobody liiks this poem over HERE; I hoped maybe someone would like it over THERE...guess it's hopeless. It's sort of suppposed to be funny, except the French soldiers are suffering so horribly...guess it's as washout. (about 135 people have tried to wade thriough it on fanfiction..dunno if they made it or not)

Poem: difficulties encountered while researching the horrors of war

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2959414/1/

Live Journal: http://julievognar.livejournal.com/1145.html          

New story, sequel to "Good Old Boy" A high school  senior has a long and informative day (also fun). Name's Bobby Twist.

"A Day in the Life 1984"

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2963268/1/

Live Journal: http://julievognar.livejournal.com/690.html                         
  CAUTION: the stiory cointains explicit heterosexual ciontent, which may not be suitable foir some readers.  

(6) :'( :'( :'( :'( :) :)

My only Jack and Ennis stiory (two crows sorrow?), edited to put a little cheer at the end. .

Just Bones

Live Journal: http://julievognar.livejournal.com/1501.html

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2970254/1/

New story:   The Clothes that You Once Wore, 1984

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2998444/1/

This is the sequel to "Good Old Boy" and "A Day in ther Life." Many of you will find it Wrong. I disagree with you. It's still for Martha, Kevin and Michaela. Long drives can be lonely...Or educational.

I posted and then took this story down, because I thought some of the writing was bad. When I found out that a reader objected to it on moral and Brokeback taboo grounds, I immediately corrected the writing (and little bit of content), and reposted it. Nothing like a little opposition to get a riot started. Most of the inspiration for my revision came from a discovery about the way a top-of-the-line '84 Chevvy is made.

New story: And I Learned about Women from 'er, 1985"

Short, sad..funny(?). Jack comes to see Lureen once to impart some information, and then again when he realizes the information will do her no good.

www.fanfiction.net/s/3055439/1/

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:56:06 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: "Good Old Boy" by Julie Vognar
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:09:17 am »
Julie,
This was Freakin' Awesome!  Brilliant!  That paragraph right after Roy leaves (that's all I'll say) just came out of no where and hit me like a freight train.  I didn't see that coming at all!  I was reading this in bed and almost fell out of it!  Great job.  I loved this!  Thank you.  :)

Eric

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:38:26 am »
Julie

sorry have not read your story yet.......have not been too well but you bet I am going to read it!!!

am so proud of you for writing it and finishing it and most of all being true to your vision

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:40:35 pm »
sfericsf--praise from you is praise indeed.=. That's exactly the way i wanted that paragraph to work..sorta sneak in, and drop a ton of bricks on you!

Kea--get on the stick (actually, don't. I'm sorry you're not feeling well...didn't you just move across an ocean, or something? Yeah--you're in New Zeeland now...I wanna go there!) Story will NOT improve your mood, and probably won't do anything for your health, one way or the other.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:51:07 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:00:53 pm »
I just want to add in that if they were to ever add more material to the movie, and re-release it as a director's cut, I would want this story included in the new movie!!!!!!!

***spoilers****

I think it would fit perfectly in between Ennis leaving the Twist house, and Junior driving up to Ennis's trailer a few years later.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:46:13 am »
Julie,

I read the story again.  It’s not a cheerful one, but a good story with effective writing.  It answered the question if Lureen knew by addressing her doubts about Jack, and a reasonable explanation to Jack’s death. Though myself prefer to have Jack’s death as ambiguous, your story makes sense too.  Thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to read more stories from you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:57:09 pm by JennyC »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:00:50 pm »
For the record, I think Jack's death is left COMPLETELY ambiguous...fiction-fiction is not fact-fiction.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "Good Old Boy" ; "Prequel: Sentimental Education"
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:56:04 pm »
New story by me today, For the record, I am more inclined to believe this one than the first one... Prequel: Sentimental Education Jack, the summer of 1962. 1962? Yeah, 1962.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2941248/1/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:39:17 pm by twistedude »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 01:16:33 pm »
Julie,

Interesting story.  Though I am an Ennis/Jack purist, the first summer of Jack/Jim works for me.  I was just a little bit surprised that they have only known each other for 3 hours, before err, you know.  But what do I know about “an 18-year-old kid stuck for a week with 42 rotting sheep” ;)  I like how you weaved the “Sorrow Acre” story in your story.   Your story also has laid a foundation for what we know about Jack's mother later in the story/movie. The post card from Jacob is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing the story!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:42:40 pm by JennyC »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:27:13 pm »
Jenny, I'm thrilled that you like it at ALL! When I saw your name, I looked up your post with fear and trembling. And finally, someone mentioned "Sorrow Acre"!  Did you see my picture of "The Chariot of Apollo," by Redon (first post in this thread)?

What do YOU know? What do I know!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:31:48 pm by julie01 »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 03:44:49 pm »
Did you see my picture of "The Chariot of Apollo," by Redon (first post in this thread)?

Oh, so this is the picture in the post card.  I get it now.  Thanks!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 04:42:09 pm »
Hi Julie,

I enjoyed the new story.  I liked hearing about Jack as a younger in-experienced boy learning and acting a lot younger than when we see him the next summer in 1963 when BBM officially begins.  Again, I like stories that 'expand' on BBM.  You did a great job.  And the visuals of the burning sheep will haunt me for a while now.  Yuck!   :D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
I finally got the third story straightened out, and made ALL the changes i wanted, including calling it a sequel (it's a sequel to the movie and my second stiory), as several people suggested.

"Be Nice, Wouldn't It?"

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2948535/1/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:44:54 pm by julie01 »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
I thought of the MMMs as an innocuous design. Planned, are you kidding? Leslie started "A Love Born From Steel" as a one-shot story...who plans...non-existant people just start attacking you! In the middle of talking about Korean pottery..in a psychology group, and I'm sure i won't be able to sit through "United 93" or "The Da Vinci Code" without these criters coming at me..

« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 03:41:26 pm by julie01 »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Julie,

This is another well done story!  A few things I want to comment on:

1.   About “Jack can lie really good” and “probably got that from his mother”, how very true it is.  I love how Jack and Mrs. Twist told those sad and well intentioned lies, and feel sad for the fact that they had to at the same time.
2.   Denver – Duh, I didn’t realize why you had Jim and Jacob in Denver in the last story. 
3.   The Jewish thing with the hand – This is a question.  Is this a well known thing in America, in another word will a person like Ennis with all the traveling he had done know this? Sorry for my ignorance on American culture here.  I actually never notice this from my Jewish friends.  Only came to know this after watched The Sex and The City.
4.   Well, this should not come as a surprise for you  :). I am having trouble with the last 4 paragraphs.  Guess I don’t mind the direction they are going, just have issue with the speed  :).  I can see Ennis and Jim making connection through their love for Jack, but the move was too sudden for me, particularly from Ennis, who was still grieving for Jack’s death, and always needed delicate handling (to warm up).  But again that’s just me.  We all read stories with our own baggage.

Will you ever consider doing an Ennis/Jack story?

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
I POSTED THIS!

Jenny: As far as "Jewish hands" are concerned, Ennis does NOT say anything about Jewish, the narrator does; Ennis just remarks that he "does what he's sayin'" I'm Jewish, and many friends and relatives talk with their hands, and many don't. My best freind was once told by a friend that she was going to shut her up by tying her hands together!

Some say too fast; some say too slow. I am NOT going to make any gereralizations about unattached gay men; I got in enough trouble generalizing about Jews talking with their hands, sometimes (only SOMETIMES, I said, too!).

I REALLY had to make some changes, though, when I discovered that not John Wesley, but St. Augustine, had originally said "the outward and visable sign of an inward and spiritual grace," and I've made some needed changes to the dialogue and action around it.

Far as I'm concerned, the conversation could go on all night...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:17:13 pm by julie01 »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
New stiory, but there's no space for the title! Guess I'll post it elsewhere, too.

"A Day in  Life,"  a sequel (soirt of) to "Good Old Boy"

http://www.fanfiction/s/2963268/1/

A high school senior has a long, busy and informative day. Name's Bobby Twist.
CAUTION: this story contains explicit heterosexual content, which might not be suitable for all viewers. HEE!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 03:56:00 am by julie01 »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
My only Jack-and-Ennis story, kinda spooky, kinda sad, edited to put a little cheer at the end.

Just Bones

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2970254/1/

I feel, as many of you do, that this movie is a true tragedy, in the most exalted sense: it fills us with sorrow and pity, and teaches at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:53:21 pm by julie01 »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
New story:   The Clothes that You Once Wore

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2998444/1/

This is the sequel to "Good Old Boy," and "A Day in the Life." Some of you may find it Beyond Wrong. I disagree. It's still for Martha, Kevin and Michaela, who won't even know it exists. Long drives can be lonely...Or educational.

This is the stiory i posted yesterday and then took down because I thought some of the writing was bad. When a reader told me he objected to it on moral and Brokeback taboo grounds, I immediately corrected some of the writijng, and reposted it. Nothing like a little opposition to start a riot...

Jack Twist's little boy, name of Bobby
Chose revenge as his new favorite hobby.
The slashistas were grossed
When he fucked his dad's ghost
After killing old Roy in the lobby.
                         --Sid melucci, Dave Cullen

(actually, he didn't really like killing the guy, and it weas in the library, but it's still a good limrick.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:55:27 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Good Old Boy to I learned about Women from 'Er. by twistedude.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 08:52:19 pm »
I Learned About Women from 'Er.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3055439/1/

Jack comes back to see Lureen twice, the first time to impart some information, and the sedcond time, because he finds out it won't do her any good.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:01:10 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 04:55:02 pm »
You're still reading them, though nobody's said anything since "Clothes." So, bump!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 01:49:25 pm »
bump for bump';s sake.