Author Topic: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!  (Read 59290 times)

rtprod

OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:31:49 am »
Hi everyone,

I saw it -- it's a top-notch Hollywood film, possibly the best commercial action movie since Jan De Bont's original Speed. 

Everything here works -- there are no way over the top, CGI effects, no corny one-liners, no hip attitude and posturing.  Rather, it's an efficient, wonderfully edited, scored and shot thriller.  There are sequences here that are mounted with such care--the cinematography, editing and sound design--and to top it off, a great performance from, yes, Tom Cruise, and a real romantic heart at the core.  It's more in the vein of Lethal Weapon and Die Hard and a dash of True Lies than anything modern and ironic.  Some standout sequences include an early helicopter chase while trying to de-fuse a bomb planted in someone's brain, a very brisk, funny and thrilling inflitration of the Vatican, and a prisoner transport that goes horribly wrong on what appears to be Seven Mile Bridge in the Florida Keys.  And then there's the matter of a parachute precariously low over nighttime Shanghai. 

Moment to watch for:  a surprising scene at the end of the film involving CPR that I can't describe, but that actually choked me up.

It's a vast improvement on the awful second picture and even better than the first one.  This is the real deal folks, and the audience I saw it with went nuts for it.  This is why we go to Hollywood movies--it is escape done with a streak of such cleverness--I'm jaded on this franchise and Cruise, but the film is a stunner. 

Highly recommended -- it ranks with V for Vendetta, United 93, Thank You for Smoking and Akeelah and the Bee as one of the year's best movies, and I'm tempted to put it at the top of the list. 

A minor quibble -- Philip Seymour Hoffman is not given much to do really, or any compelling monologue or meat in his character, which keeps him from being a great villain.

Let the Tom Cruise baggage go and appreciate what he's done here, because it's a terrific performance and it might get undersold since the film itself is such a big event. 

rt   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:45:14 am by rtprod »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:47:35 am »
Thanks for adding that last part, because I was honestly considering not seeing it (even though I love action movies) because Tom Cruise gives me the heebie jeebies. You've made me really want to see it!
When does it come out?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:48:32 am »
Hi Sparkle,

It comes on this Friday, May 5.

GO!

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 11:50:27 am »
Yep convinced me to see it also ;)

It's also directed and co-written by J.J. Abrams who co-wrote one of my favorite thrillers Joy Ride, so there's another plus.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:59:50 am by EnnisDelMar »

rtprod

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 11:59:36 am »
Little D,

I love Joyride as well, which takes a very simple scenario and pumps it up to a level of intensity that's scary as hell.  It's directed by John Dahl, and you may want to check out some of his other films like The Last Seduction and Red Rock West, both worthy (particularly Seduction). 

um, rt   ;)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:16:24 pm »
Oh no, it's payback time. My movie friend wouldn't go see MATCHPOINT because she doesn't like Woody Allen, some moral B.S. with the whole Sue Yi thing or whatever her name. I missed my window of opportunity to see that saw something rather forgettable that weekend

So now she wants me to go see MISSION IMPOSSIBLE #12 and I'm going to pull the "ethics" boycott. Why feed Tom Cruise's ego, I will say and there are some other issues I have with Cruise, being mean to Brooke Shields as example.  :) 

I might go sneek in, if there is any male nudity with Tom Cruise. Is there? That will get me in. He looked good on the cover of GQ. Still don't want to READ about him, just look at him.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:24:12 pm »
As Mandy Moore said in American Dreamz, I'd rather poke my own eyeballs out with toothpicks and then eat them...or something.  Tom Cruise makes me gag.  But I'm sure it'll be a huge hit.  I'm waiting for X-Men 3.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 12:35:49 pm »
Better then the first 2 then? 

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:21:34 pm »
Part 2 was a disaster in my book, completely laughable garbage misdirected by John Woo, and the first one was certainly competent.  This is a whole new ballgame, and stands apart from both. 

This is a terrific film, and I think it's sad to throw the baby out with the bathwater over Cruise.  He's always a good actor -- Collateral, anyone? -- and here he is very effective. 

Juan, just let go of that and you'll have a great time watching this one, trust me.  The X-MEN trailer is absolutely awesome and all signs point to a great movie, but I can never trust anything directed by Brett Ratner so I'm hoping and being cautious. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:44:59 pm by rtprod »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:26:31 pm »
I'm boycotting it. I don't like Tom Cruise, at all. But thanks for the review.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:28:59 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

rtprod

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:31:47 pm »
Well, I'm certainly trying to get some of these films off the ground with everyone but I'm batting 0 for 2 these days!  Tough Crowd!

First no one wants to see United 93, and now Mission Impossible 3 is going to tank on the CT board as well -- LOL.

Let's see what comes next...

Oh, and I don't like Tom Cruise much as a person these days either, so I feel the same.  But I can accept him as an actor in a role like this, because it is what he does best. 

;D

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:33:52 pm by rtprod »

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 01:35:07 pm »
I'll most likely see Mission Impossible 3. I don't like Tom Cruise either, but not strongly enough to boycot a movie that I will probably enjoy. Thanks for the tip rt!

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 01:46:22 pm »
Part 2 was a disaster in my book, completely laughable garbage misdirected by John Woo, and the first one was certainly competent.  This is a whole new ballgame, and stands apart from both. 

This is a terrific film, and I think it's sad to throw the baby out with the bathwater over Cruise.  He's always a good actor -- Collateral, anyone? -- and here he is very effective. 

Juan, just let go of that and you'll have a great time watching this one, trust me. 

rt
Ohmigod, part 2 was so ridiculous!  That fight on the train, what's it called, from England to France.  I was like, give me a break.  I like John Woo, he's been so off his game for a while. 

I didn't see Collateral but I probably will on cable at some point.  I hear what you're saying, but certain actors that I have issues with, after a certain point I find it hard to watch their movies.  But never say never - I wound up seeing Signs despite the fact that Mel Gibson was in it.

Juan

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 01:55:07 pm »
I wound up seeing Signs despite the fact that Mel Gibson was in it.

Not a Gibson fan?   :)

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 01:57:28 pm »
I love Signs..just thought I'd share that lol

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 01:59:23 pm »
I love Signs..just thought I'd share that lol

I liked Signs too......but I hate Mel Gibson.......with a Passion  (no pun intended)

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 02:01:39 pm »
He's alright I guess..I like him as an actor, not so much as a person.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 02:03:48 pm »
He's alright I guess..I like him as an actor, not so much as a person.

I can't stand him at all.....LOL

I will be seeing MI:III.....tomorrow mornin....

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 02:05:42 pm »
I liked Signs too......but I hate Mel Gibson.......with a Passion  (no pun intended)

Haha, Cute.
I can't stand Mel Gibson either, by the way. Enough to boycott any of his new movies.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 02:20:03 pm »
I can't stand Mel Gibson either, by the way. Enough to boycott any of his new movies.

I guess its mainly his directing that I can't stand....I love The Patriot and Signs and even What Women Want....but its the whole Braveheart starring and directing thing.....I don't know...just bugs me!
Then that whole Passion of the Christ controversy.....and his father denying the Holocaust..... ???

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 02:23:08 pm »
I loved signs, but more for Joaquin than Mel Gibson... I'm not a big fan of his.  I also really do not like Tom Cruise, and not just because of the whole jumping on Oprah's couch/scientology thing, I haven't liked him for quite a while.  I go back and forth on seeing his movies though, because sometimes he just picks good movies to be in and I wind up liking the movie despite him.  I'll probably see MI:3, thanks for the review!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 02:24:51 pm »
I loved signs, but more for Joaquin than Mel Gibson... I'm not a big fan of his.  I also really do not like Tom Cruise, and not just because of the whole jumping on Oprah's couch/scientology thing, I haven't liked him for quite a while.  I go back and forth on seeing his movies though, because sometimes he just picks good movies to be in and I wind up liking the movie despite him.  I'll probably see MI:3, thanks for the review!

Hell Mandy....what have you got to lose?  Anythings better then Closer..... :laugh:

rtprod

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 02:29:11 pm »
Anythings better then Closer.....

To me, Closer is about as raw and honest a look at selfish modern relationships and the impulses and manipulations that drive them than any other film I have ever seen. 

The honest dialogue is acidic and pointed and Natalie Portman (and Clive Owen) is completely heartbreaking, particularly during the scene where she says:

"I'm not sure when your moment was, but I'm sure there was one." 

The scene between her and Clive Owen later in the strip club says a lot about the putting on and taking off of masks, and it's frightening. 

The way the control is wrestled back and forth between the four of them and where they end up, is, at least to me, pretty frank and honest. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 02:31:25 pm by rtprod »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 02:33:31 pm »
Thank you rt, that is exactly how I felt about Closer.  It's hard to watch but it's "accurate" as Julia Robert's character says about Dan's book in the movie... I thought the dialogue was absolutely brilliantly written

so there Chris  :P LOL
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 02:35:41 pm »
Thank you rt, that is exactly how I felt about Closer.  It's hard to watch but it's "accurate" as Julia Robert's character says about Dan's book in the movie... I thought the dialogue was absolutely brilliantly written

so there Chris  :P LOL

Well.....I know a lot of people liked it....I just wasn't one of them!  Julia or no Julia I just couldn't sit through it...... ;D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 02:40:30 pm »
Well.....I know a lot of people liked it....I just wasn't one of them!  Julia or no Julia I just couldn't sit through it...... ;D

No worries, you are certainly not alone, most people I know didn't like it, oh well, at least we can agree on BBM and Jarhead, right?? LOL

Now, not likeing When Harry Met Sally, that's something I just can't forgive... LOL JK  ;)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 02:43:37 pm »
No worries, you are certainly not alone, most people I know didn't like it, oh well, at least we can agree on BBM and Jarhead, right?? LOL

Hell yes!  ;D

Now, not likeing When Harry Met Sally, that's something I just can't forgive... LOL JK  ;)

Ummmm......I guess I'm not forgiven!  ROFL

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 02:44:03 pm »
Ohmigod, part 2 was so ridiculous!  That fight on the train, what's it called, from England to France.  I was like, give me a break.  I like John Woo, he's been so off his game for a while. 

I didn't see Collateral but I probably will on cable at some point.  I hear what you're saying, but certain actors that I have issues with, after a certain point I find it hard to watch their movies.  But never say never - I wound up seeing Signs despite the fact that Mel Gibson was in it.

Juan

the train sequence was in part 1 wasn't it? part 2 climatic end happens in Australia. but yeah, I liked neither films and I'm cautious about seeing the 3rd. i might catch a matinee if i'm especially bored between projects.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

rtprod

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 02:52:08 pm »
I just can't drink the kool-aid on this film because it's got jake's naked ass in it.  Nosiree. 

I disliked Jarhead quite a bit and thought it was not engaging, found the characters cocky and annoying, also thought it did not have much truth or anything substantial to say about being a soldier at war.  I also found a certain sniggering "aren't we funny and raucous dudes" vibe to it that just turned me off.

I've seen countless other films that handled this with more insight.  I know Jake starred, but since I'm not a Gyllenhaalic or whatever they hell they are called these days, it didn't resonate for me.  But hey, some of the cinematography was pretty good.  From Sam Mendes, I expected a tad more than what was delivered. 

My approval rating here just sank. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:06:50 pm by rtprod »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 02:54:55 pm »
I disliked Jarhead quite a bit and thought it was not engaging, found the characters cocky and annoying, also thought it did it have much truth or anything substantial about being a soldier at war.  I've seen countless other films that handled this with more insight.  I know Jake starred, but since I'm not a Gyllenhaalic or whatever they hell they are called these days, it didn't resonate for me.  But hey, some of the cinematography was pretty good. 

My approval rating here just sank. 

rt

No of course not....your entitled to your opinion.....most here will disagree but theres nothing wrong with that....
 ;D

rtprod

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 02:57:59 pm »
I go to the movies maybe ten times a year. (Actually, I don't think I went to see a single movie in the theater during 2004... small child + no babysitter + not really excited about any of the movies = stay home and rent something.) And I have disliked Tom Cruise since the 80's. (Enough so that my husband had to trick me into watching Collateral with him. And it wasn't bad. But Tom Cruise is still really annoying.)

So given those kinds of criteria, is MI3 (or anything else released so far this year) worth seeing?

After the Oscars, I swore that I would only go to movies that my friends raved about. So is this a huge rave, or is it a "well, 2006 hasn't been very good so far, but this is good for 2006" rave?

I hear ya, movies today just don't add up to much and the situation, on the whole, is getting progressively worse if you don't live in a major metro area and have access to independent and foreign cinema from around the world.  If you do, there is alway something worthwhile and worth time and money.  

The best thing I can say about MI3 is that if you like a good action film that is expert on nearly every level, moves like lightning and makes you laugh a bit, thrill at its sequences (they are truly off the charts spectacular) and then feel a touch of emotion for its husband and wife in peril (cruise and michelle monaghan), you'll dig this.  

I'm not saying it's BBM, but honestly, it's a superior example of exactly what the genre should be, and almost never is.  And it has a heart as well.  What more do you want?

Besides, if not Cruise, then who for the role -- to my eye, all of the other big action stars are either too "long in the tooth" or have imploded, Vin Diesel style (not that there's anything wrong with him, he got a pretty raw deal and is re-making his career).  

rt

rtprod

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
the train sequence was in part 1 wasn't it? part 2 climatic end happens in Australia. but yeah, I liked neither films and I'm cautious about seeing the 3rd. i might catch a matinee if i'm especially bored between projects.

If you approach it with low expectations you will be blown away. 

Yeah, the train sequence was in part 1.  The hilarious Thandie Newton-falls-out-of-the-convertible-over-a-cliff sequence was in part 2.  LOL. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:14:59 pm by rtprod »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 03:07:40 pm »
If you approach it with low expectations you will be blown away. 

Yeah, the train sequence was in part 1.  The hilarious Thandie Newton falls out of the convertible over a cliff sequence was in part 2.  LOL. 

rt

I have to say, I kinda liked Thandie in the first half of that movie. I had seen her in The Beloved but didn't really connect with her much. In MI:II I hated that she started out a really strong character and devolved into a passive victim who waited for heroic Cruise to save her. I just thought the woman she started out as would have been more pro-active to the end.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

rtprod

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 03:09:58 pm »
I have to say, I kinda liked Thandie in the first half of that movie. I had seen her in The Beloved but didn't really connect with her much. In MI:II I hated that she started out a really strong character and devolved into a passive victim who waited for heroic Cruise to save her. I just thought the woman she started out as would have been more pro-active to the end.

Wait until you see what happens with Michelle Monaghan in the climax of MI3 when a gun is put into her (nurse) hands for the first time.  She nails the scene and it's pretty damn cool.  She has a certain feral quality not unlike the terror Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling felt in Buffalo Bill's lair when she's holding the gun in the climax of that classic. 

rt

rtprod

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 03:13:51 pm »
OH, and I love Thandie Newton immensely in about everything she's ever done.  Sweet girl in person too.  Ever see her in Bertolucci's Besieged? 

rt

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 03:17:16 pm »
OH, and I love Thandie Newton immensely in about everything she's ever done.  Sweet girl in person too.  Ever see her in Bertolucci's Besieged? 

rt

I agree....Thandie was the only reason I could watch Crash....she made that movie IMO!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 03:19:14 pm »
I'll be seeing MI:3 on Friday night...

rtprod

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 03:26:39 pm »
While I'm at it, I'll drive another nail in my coffin...   ;D

I don't want to open up a can of worms here and hopefully this won't, but looking back now I feel sorry that what happened to Crash actually did.  Lion's Gate may have bought their Oscar, but that film, about a year ago, seemed like a much better and pure experience.  Sure, it has its share of heavy-handedness, no clear protaganist, peddles a theme and at times can seem contrived, but there's passion in there too. And good acting.  And some pretty moving scenes.  Unfortunately, the film is now considered an unworthy stinkbomb because of the political maneuvering of its own studio, and that doesn't seem right to me since it does reach for something profound and great, even if it doesn't always reach it.

I'm still hurt by our loss at the Oscars and that scarred me and most of us, and no, I'm not being melodramatic.  I'm sure everyone knows where I'm coming from. And that really hurt, for implications that had little to do with a film (though BBM was the best quality film of the five and deserved to win on merit and not politics). But the assertion that Crash is "trash" just doesn't hold up for me.  If the film had not been in contention for the Oscar and subsequently rode its way to the podium, it would not have been savaged as such through our lens of emotional upheaval, in my mind.  

I too, during Oscar time, was colored by this and spoke candidly about my waning support for Crash because to me as to all of us, the idea of BBM losing was a personal attack, an affront to who I am and seemed like an unthinkable possibility (it was both of these things).  And we all know that it was indeed the Best Picture beyond our own passion for it. 

I think I'm ready to look at Crash again now than the dust as settled, and see it for what it is -- a good film with some big ideas that unfortunately got caught in a crossfire it probably didn't deserve.  

rt

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:35:01 pm by rtprod »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 03:38:49 pm »
While I'm at it, I'll drive another nail in me coffin...   ;D

I don't want to open up a can of worms here and hopefully this won't, but looking back now I feel sorry that what happened to Crash actually did.  Lion's Gate may have bought their Oscar, but that film, about a year ago, seemed like a much better and pure experience.  Sure, it has its share of heavy-handedness, no clear protaganist, peddles a theme and at times can seem contrived, but there's passion in there too. And good acting.  And some pretty moving scenes.  Unfortunately, the film is now considered an unworthy stinkbomb because of the political maneuvering of its own studio, and that doesn't seem right to me since it does reach for something profound and great, even if it doesn't always reach it.

I'm still hurt by our loss at the Oscars and that scarred me and most of us, and no, I'm not being melodramatic.  I'm sure everyone knows where I'm coming from. And that really hurt, for implications that had little to do with a film (though BBM was the best quality film of the five and deserved to win on merit and not politics).  

But the assertion that Crash is "trash" just doesn't hold up for me.  If the film had not been in contention for the Oscar and rode its way to the podium, it would not have been savaged as such through our lens of emotional upheaval, in my mind.  

I too, during Oscar time, was colored by this and spoke candidly about my waning support for Crash because to me as to all of us, the idea of BBM losing was a personal attack, an affront to who I was and seemed like an unthinkable possibility.  And we all know that it was indeed the Best Picture beyond our own passion for it. 

I think I'm ready to look at Crash again now than the dust as settled, and see it for what it is -- a good film with some big ideas that unfortunately got caught in a crossfire it probably didn't deserve.  

rt

I agree....I felt Crash was a good film....decent performances particularly by Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton.  And the story was pretty solid....but I also felt it was mediocre.....nothing special but thats JMO.  Not at all worthy of Best Picture IMO.  More worthy then say Capote but fails in comparison to BBM or even Good Night, and Good Luck....again this is just my opinion....

I also felt that the story had been told many times before....unlike BBM or GN&GL...

I own both the regular and Directors Cut of Crash and have watched it several times.....but IMO the Academy took the easy road in awarding Crash....and in terms of the Academy's Best Picture selections in the past 78 years....it ranks among the worst....JMO

rtprod

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 03:40:31 pm »
So if I live in a small town where movies aren't going to play for long, I've got a potential babysitter available, and my choices are MI3, United 93, Thank You for Smoking*, or staying home and watching a DVD (maybe Capote, which I didn't get to see while it was in theaters), which would you suggest?

(It's nice to have a professional movie watcher available for advice!  )

(* I live in a small college town that usually shows one or two limited release/artier films at any given time. BBM played here for two whole months starting in early January... but that was unusual for any movie. It did really well here.)

Well thanks for asking my advice, how nice.  You are in for three very different experiences with that line-up and that is all about what you are up for--you can't miss with any of them. 

One will blow you away, one will scare the hell out of you and make you think, and the other will make you laugh and think.  Allll gooood.

rt

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2006, 03:41:57 pm »
I'm with you rt. i saw Crash, after the Oscars. And despite all the emotions, despite hating that it's a film set in LA, and the only Asians were used as a joke, despite being annoyed by the over exaggerated characters, I liked the film. There's some meat there to chew on. I do think that the win at the Oscar was the worse thing to happen to it. People will now not be able to see it with out all that drama in their heads. It is saddle with justifying it's win. Where one might see it and say "that's was a fine film", people will now say "it wasn't Oscar worthy." Even now, a few people have post such criticism of it, whether they liked BBM or not.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:44:02 pm by starboardlight »

rtprod

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2006, 03:45:40 pm »
More worthy then say Capote but fails in comparison to BBM or even Good Night, and Good Luck....again this is just my opinion....

Good Night to me, was a very tiny slice and a modest film that rode its way to considerable attention for two reasons -- George Clooney at the helm and and a built-in issue that resonated with the artistic industry voting bodies.  It's certainly well-made and intelligent, but to me it seems content to be a "small" picture in many ways and is a bit esoteric.  Still very well made.

Capote was my second favorite of the nominees, and to me just an amazingly complex character in Capote, with his shifting loyalties and allegiances, his dark heart and impure motivations and ability to be as much of a con man as Perry Smith himself.  And speaking of Smith, Clifton Collins, Jr., was robbed of year-end kudos in my book, and if that is not a powerful supporting character who forces the lead to re-examine himself (the ideal function of a best supporting actor) then what is?  I really dug the vibe of something sickening rising in the heartland, crime, murder and corruption of the soul.  

Guess we're on a disagreeing streak -- and that's good!  

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:49:51 pm by rtprod »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2006, 03:48:28 pm »
  And speaking of Smith, Clifton Collins, Jr., was robbed of year-end kudos in my book, if that is not a powerful supporting character who forces the lead to re-examine himself (the ideal function of a best supporting actor) then what is? 
rt

I thought the exact same thing and wondered if it was because he is not "famous" enough to be nominated?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

rtprod

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2006, 03:49:14 pm »
I'm with you rt. i saw Crash, after the Oscars. And despite all the emotions, despite hating that it's a film set in LA, and the only Asians were used as a joke, despite being annoyed by the over exaggerated characters, I liked the film

Did you think they were used as a joke?  I love the scene where the wife rushes into the hospital to find her husband.  Are you thinking about the undocumented immigrants in the van?  

BTW, I hate the term "illegal alien" because first of all, no human being is illegal.  Secondly, how can someone be an alien on a planet that belongs to all of us?   

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:53:07 pm by rtprod »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2006, 03:50:17 pm »
Capote was my second favorite of the nominees, and to me just an amazingly complex character in Capote, with his shifting loyalties and allegiances, his dark heart and impure motivations and ability to be as much of a con man as Perry Smith himself.  And speaking of Smith, Clifton Collins, Jr., was robbed of year-end kudos in my book, if that is not a powerful supporting character who forces the lead to re-examine himself (the ideal function of a best supporting actor) then what is?  I really dug the vibe of something sickening rising in the heartland, crime, murder and corruption of the soul.
I felt that Capote had some incredible performances.....breathtaking in some cases but the film itself had no weight to it....IMO the performances were Oscar worthy but the film itself wasn't.....but what do I know?  

Yes it is.....I enjoy hearing your opinions.....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2006, 03:56:24 pm »
OT again.....but I also had mixed feelings about Munich.....what did you think?

rtprod

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2006, 03:59:32 pm »
I liked Munich very much, actually.  However, as daring as it is at times, it does amount to little more than a series of executions (all well staged) that become a bit rote after awhile, with one really resonant theme -- terrorism corrputs everyone inside out, there's no "right" and the costs on the individual are greater sometimes than the country.  I loved the scene with the daughter answering the phone, and then the scene with Bana on the phone later in the film.  Great, bizarre sex scene that defies explanation. 

rt

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2006, 03:59:57 pm »
Did you think they were used as a joke?  I love the scene where the wife rushes into the hospital to find her husband.  Are you thinking about the undocumented immigrants in the van?  

BTW, I hate the term "illegal alien" because first of all, no human being is illegal.  Secondly, how can someone be an alien on a planet that belongs to all of us?   

rt

the man got run over by a van, and it was played for laughs, in the boys' dilemma of whether to just drive off or to pull him out. the discovery of the people in the back of the van in that "auto-shop" also seemed like it was played for laughs to me. And the woman arguing insanely at the beginning as also such a joke. I'll admit, I maybe overly sensitive because I'm Asian. That is entirely possible but doesn't change the fact that I was annoyed by those characterizations. In spite of them, I still liked the film.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2006, 04:03:30 pm »
I liked Munich very much, actually.  However, as daring as it is at times, it does amount to little more than a series of executions (all well staged) that become a bit rote after awhile, with one really resonant theme -- terrorism corrputs everyone inside out, there's no "right" and the costs on the individual are greater sometimes than the country.  I loved the scene with the daughter answering the phone, and then the scene with Bana on the phone later in the film.  Great, bizarre sex scene that defies explanation. 

rt

Yeah I guess I liked it too......I went into it with a bit of a bias because I am a big Spielberg fan and I think that I felt obligated to like it.....you know?  I think that can often times ruin a film...

rtprod

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2006, 04:08:21 pm »
I'll admit, I maybe overly sensitive because I'm Asian.

No, that's just fine actually and those points are well taken.  I'm overly sensitive about the BBM Oscar loss too because I'm... well, you know the rest.

Since I didn't identify with Larenz Tate or Ludicris, I found both of them ludicrous actually, and their behavior in that scene repellant.  Yes, the wife is shrill.  And again, the chop shop owner is not worth identifying with.  When that van is opened at the end of the film, there is quite a sense of poetry and wonder to the beginning of their journey.  Guess I'm sensitive to that because I know many who are undocumented immigrants who have arrived here in similar situations. 

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2006, 04:11:45 pm »

rt

Totally agree. I've always hated the term.

But rt, really? You didn't like Jarhead? I thought it was fantastic. It certainly engaged me. However, being a major Gyllenhaalic, my opinion's probably biased.
I agree about Crash. It wasn't a terrible film. I didn't like it like I loved BBM, but I appreciated it. It's a shame all the negative attention it's getting because of the Oscars.
I also liked Capote. I thought PSH captured the character tremendously. All of the acting was great actually, and while the film itself wasn't so fantastic, it definitely had moments that I'll always remember.
I have yet to see Munich or GN&GL.
But yes, I will see MI3 despite the negative Cruise talk. I can look past that and still appreciate a film. I'm hoping to see it this weekend.

Mandy - I still stand by Closer - LOVED it. Like rt said, Natalie & Clive were amazing. Julia? Meh.

Juan - I also can't wait 'til X-Men 3. Just a couple more weeks! *yay!!!*

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2006, 04:14:48 pm »
Julia? Meh.
Tisk Tisk Tisk.....Mandy friend thats not right!  LOL JK  ;D

rtprod

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2006, 04:17:10 pm »
But rt, really? You didn't like Jarhead? I thought it was fantastic. It certainly engaged me. However, being a major Gyllenhaalic, my opinion's probably biased.

No, Mandy dear, you northern-most cornerstone of my FCKU posse, I did not like it.  

Though I certainly like Jake as an actor, I think he was much more "comfortable" as Jack Twist than as Anthony Swofford. Scenes like the recuits watching Apocolypse Now where just....been there, done that.  Yawn.  It's an episodic film, not an epic one, and though there's not a lot that happens in the plot proper that was not my problem with it.  I just found it empty.  Replace Jake's bare ass and santa hat in the lead and see if you still think it's a good movie.  

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:21:41 pm by rtprod »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2006, 04:22:03 pm »
Tisk Tisk Tisk.....Mandy friend thats not right!  LOL JK  ;D

LOL. I like Julia. But really, she wasn't great in Closer; rather blah in my opinon.

No, Mandy dear, the northenrmost cornerstone of my FCUK posse, I did not like it.  Though I certainly like Jake as an actor, I think he was much more "comfortable" as Jack Twist than as Anthony Swofford. Scenes like the recuits watching Apocolypse Now where just....been there, done that.  Yawn.  It's an episodic film, not an epic one, and though there's not a lot that happens in the plot proper that was not my problem with it.  I just found it empty.  Replace Jake's bare ass in the lead and see if you still think it's a good movie.  

rt

Yeah, like I said, my opinion's biased because of Jake. Oh hell yeah, he was better as Jack Twist; no disagreement there. It's not an epic movie, but I thought it was beautiful and well done. We're allowed to disagree, I still loves ya  ;D
BTW, it's FCKU actually, isn't it? lol, NM, you fixed it  ;)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2006, 04:24:14 pm »
LOL. I like Julia. But really, she wasn't great in Closer; rather blah in my opinon.

Ok fair enough...LOL

Yeah, like I said, my opinion's biased because of Jake. Oh hell yeah, he was better as Jack Twist; no disagreement there. It's not an epic movie, but I thought it was beautiful and well done.
Agreed!  Jarhead kicks ass!  The 3rd best film of 2005 IMO...

rtprod

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2006, 04:26:22 pm »
BTW, it's FCKU actually, isn't it? lol, NM, you fixed it  

Yeah, I fixed it babe, don't want to offend my support system do I?  

I liked Julia in Closer, thought she was very good in two particular scenes -- when Anna confesses her adultery in both, once to Larry and later to Dan.   Larry has her by the balls at the end of the film.  Side note:  Cate Blanchett, a real actress, was signed for the role and dropped out because of pregnancy.  Bit of a stretch for two American ex-pats to be living in London dawdling with British guys, but I could buy it. 

Yeah, bring on the tomatoes, pies, whatever ya got....  I'll duck.

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:28:25 pm by rtprod »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2006, 04:29:08 pm »
*tosses a cream pie for even suggesting Crash was good!*

rtprod

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2006, 04:29:15 pm »
I'm really interested to hear what it is about Jarhead that resonates with my fellow board-mates.  Give me the short list so I can chew on something.

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2006, 04:30:23 pm »
*tosses a cream pie for even suggesting Crash was good!*
:laugh: :laugh:

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2006, 04:30:33 pm »
RT, okay, we can disagree about Julia in Closer and about Jarhead, but if we disagree about this, you & I might just be "over"  ;) : I f'ing HATE Missy Elliot. The woman just drives me insane! And I'm generally a loving person.  :laugh:

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2006, 04:31:03 pm »
Side note:  Cate Blanchett, a real actress, was signed for the role and dropped out because of pregnancy. 

As opposed to Julia who is a fake actress?  ROFL JK....I know what you mean!  Movie star vs. Actor....big difference....

Its just funny...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2006, 04:31:45 pm »
I f'ing HATE Missy Elliot. The woman just drives me insane! And I'm generally a loving person.  :laugh:

Well.....I agree with you on that one!

rtprod

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2006, 04:32:07 pm »
Um, my middle-most FCKU cornerstone, littled/ennisdelmar, was that meant...for me?   :-\

lol

your rt  

tehe

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:34:27 pm by rtprod »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2006, 04:34:37 pm »
Thank you Chris.   :)

But seriously, Tom Cruise or Missy Elliot? Tom Cruise all the way. lol

your rt

Awwww  ;) Y'all just kill me, in a good way  :D

rtprod

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2006, 04:35:36 pm »
I f'ing HATE Missy Elliot. The woman just drives me insane! And I'm generally a loving person

Gee, I can almost make the connection between Missy and all these films...

Since when did you become so "random" anyway?  lol

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:41:12 pm by rtprod »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2006, 04:35:58 pm »
The imagery was really beautiful (especially during the oil field scenes). I think it was well directed.
Jake was great, especially in the angry scenes.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2006, 04:36:41 pm »
Thank you Chris.   :)

But seriously, Tom Cruise or Missy Elliot? Tom Cruise all the way. lol

Agreed!  I never had a problem with Tom Cruise to begin with......LOL

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2006, 04:36:53 pm »
haha of course that was not meant for you

Yeah Mandy Missy Elliot is annoying..

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2006, 04:37:42 pm »
RT, there's an E-True Hollywood Story on Missy on TV now, thus the sudden outburst of hate in her direction, lol.

rtprod

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2006, 04:37:55 pm »
haha of course that was not meant for you

*relief sighs, breathes into paper bag*

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2006, 04:39:19 pm »
I'm really interested to hear what it is about Jarhead that resonates with my fellow board-mates.  Give me the short list so I can chew on something.

rt

I guess I felt that it was unlike anything I had seen before.  A fresh story told from fresh eyes IMO!  The performances were great especially by Jake and Jamie Foxx and the directing was genius IMO.  Sam Mendes is awesome! 

The scenery was awesome and to me there was unlike most films these days a small amount of truth to it......JMO
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:41:53 pm by slayers_creek_oth »

rtprod

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2006, 04:40:17 pm »
your rt

Awwww   Y'all just kill me, in a good way 

Y'all?

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2006, 04:44:14 pm »
*relief sighs, breathes into paper bag*

LOL. Too cute, too cute.

*imagines Sheyne here with us in spirit, also hating Missy Elliot with us*

I guess I felt that it was unlike anything I had seen before.  A fresh story told from fresh eyes IMO!  The performances were great especially by Jake and Jamie Foxx and the directing was genius IMO.  Sam Mendes is awesome!  

The scenery was awesome and to me there was unlike most films these days a small amount of truth to it......JMO

Agreed, Chris. Many of the scenes were so gorgeous; showing all this beauty past the dangers of war. It highlighted the futility of war as well. And the characters were all very endearing.

PS. rt, y'all = you & B, in that particular reference.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:46:10 pm by dmmb_Mandy »

rtprod

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2006, 04:44:49 pm »
RT, there's an E-True Hollywood Story on Missy

Wow, yeah, didn't realize she conquered Hollywood already but the way things are going, she's in line for an Oscar next year probably.  lol

rt

rtprod

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 04:47:47 pm »
*imagines Sheyne here with us in spirit, also hating Missy Elliot with us*

Yeah, Mandy, well our beloved eastern hemisphere counterpart will rise and shine shortly and join us here.  I'm flying over to sign her cast, dunno about you guys.

rt

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2006, 04:49:32 pm »
the man got run over by a van, and it was played for laughs, in the boys' dilemma of whether to just drive off or to pull him out. the discovery of the people in the back of the van in that "auto-shop" also seemed like it was played for laughs to me. And the woman arguing insanely at the beginning as also such a joke. I'll admit, I maybe overly sensitive because I'm Asian. That is entirely possible but doesn't change the fact that I was annoyed by those characterizations. In spite of them, I still liked the film.

I share starboard's sentiment, guess because I am Asian too. :)  I watched Crash before Brokeback Mountain, and quite liked the movie and its attempt to address the racial discrimination (subtle or unsubtle) and people’s indifference.  But I always feel the stories are fabricated, especially the characterization. Maybe that’s the drama element, I don’t know, but I just hate any kind of generalization. 

And I will let my darkest secret out, I think the story will look less fabricated if the shop owner did kill locksmith’s daughter, not a blank shell.  I know it’s really an evil thought as I don’t think I can accept such a horrible ending, but nonetheless, it’s more likely to happen in reality. To make it otherwise, seems to me that Paul Haggis got soft and wanted to make a movie that makes people feel good to acknowledge the issue, but not really confronted with the harsh reality.

If I want to see a movie that makes me feel good, I will see “Happy Endings”, which is another movie that touched on some social issues and pretty much everyone got happy ending at the end.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2006, 04:52:50 pm »

First no one wants to see United 93, and now Mission Impossible 3 is going to tank on the CT board as well.
`

I can understand why some people won't see United 93. Watching the whole attack on live TV was already a very painful and shocking experience. I guess seeing this movie will be like going through the whole thing again. It's a day nobody will forget, not matter how far you were when it happened.

My cousin was on the Financial Distrit when the whole thing happened. She is completely traumatized by the attacks. She saw people falling from the towers, got herself covered with ashes and had to walk all the way to Brooklyn. She is actually angry this movie was made in the first place and even premiered in New York. She hates the fact that a few people are going to be profitting from a lot of people's pain and loss, even if part of the profits go to the victims.

A similar sentiment was felt here in Spain when a movie about the March 11, 2004 Madrid's terrorist attacks was premiered about a year afterwards. I live 10 minutes walking distance from the station where the trains were blown up and I couldn't get myself to go to see that movie. Neither did a lot of people. It seems to me some producers take no consideration on people's feelings, they just see dollar bills. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »
Yeah, Mandy, well our beloved eastern hemisphere counterpart will rise and shine shortly and join us here.  I'm flying over to sign her cast, dunno about you guys.

rt

If only my student income allowed such a thing. *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:59:16 pm by dmmb_Mandy »

rtprod

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2006, 04:57:38 pm »
To make it otherwise, seems to me that Paul Haggis got soft and wanted to make a movie that makes people feel good to acknowledge the issue, but not really confronted with the harsh reality.

If I want to see a movie that makes me feel good, I will see “Happy Endings”, which is another movie that touched on some social issues and pretty much everyone got happy ending at the end.

Very, very nicely put -- the blank bullet of course makes good on the cape protection, but removes the realism of a film trying for gritty realism.  

Happy Endings is an interesting film, not a great one, but with nice performances all around, especially Lisa Kudrow, who can play a modern, neurotic woman with the right mix of humor and disillusionment, and Jesse Bradford, just a wild card here and scruffy as hell.  

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2006, 05:00:16 pm »
BTW, it turns out that her ankle isn't broken, it's actually sprained with torn ligaments, which is still very terrible  :'( I'm sure she'll tell you all about it.

I haven't seen Happy Endings yet. But it looks interesting. And I love Lisa Kudrow.

rtprod

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2006, 05:01:02 pm »
She hates the fact that a few people are going to be profitting from a lot of people's pain and loss, even if part of the profits go to the victims.

Well, I can understand this and others have echoed similar things, and I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive to anyone.  But the film, again, is a tasteful, very well made thing, with respect for those involved with September 11.  

Most criticism, protests and objections to things--BBM notwithstanding--all stem from some sort of misunderstood idea of what the art is trying to do or say, and not actually with what is in the piece itself.  

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2006, 05:01:23 pm »
Yeah Mandy, Phoebe's in it ;) lol

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2006, 05:08:16 pm »
Yeah Mandy, Phoebe's in it ;) lol

You bet.  :-*

BTW, Moussaoui was sentenced to life in prison today. Forgive my ignorance, I know he was involved somehow in 9/11, but who is he exactly and what did he do? (Sorry for swaying so off-topic as well)  :-\

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2006, 05:10:48 pm »
He was supposed to be one of the terrorists on the airplanes. He was involved in the planning.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2006, 05:15:57 pm »
Thanks sparkle. Sorry about that, y'all.

So back to the topic, yeah I don't hate Tom Cruise and I'll definitely see MI3

rtprod

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2006, 05:20:20 pm »
Mandy, check your PM babe.

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2006, 05:21:52 pm »
I did. Check yours too  ;)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2006, 05:22:20 pm »
Haha, Cute.
Same here.  His personality, his conservatism, bleh.  But at some point I get tired of some of the overpaid, superstar actors who build a career out of playing themselves or at least the same persona over and over (to me Tom Cruise applies here).  (I hope neither Heath Ledger nor Jake Gyllenhaal ever get to be that big.)

Julia Roberts is in the same category, although I did love Closer.  I agree with what someone wrote about the dialogue being brillant, yet I didn't find it believable.  I loved the theatricality of it, the raw conversations that could happen but rarely do between lovers.  But give me some Clive Owens on a stick anyday!  I saw Inside Man the other night and really enjoyed it, especially Jodie Foster.

Juan

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2006, 05:25:15 pm »
(I hope neither Heath Ledger nor Jake Gyllenhaal ever get to be that big.)

I expect them to get big but I don't think they'll ever have a problem with being typecast or anything......

But I do think that Jake in particular is the next big thing.....IMO

rtprod

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2006, 05:31:49 pm »
Juan, let's backtrack for a second though because Cruise, and let me say I'm as nauseated with his persona and bizarre, increasingly weird habits, really plays an action hero with a degree of sweat, blood and tears that most don't.  He's very focused, takes it very seriously and is never off his game. 

And also, he played an outrageous, moving character in Magnolia not too long ago, completely against type.  I wish he'd do more ensemble work like that, rather than films built around his image. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:47:03 pm by rtprod »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2006, 05:34:53 pm »
Juan, let's backtrack for a second though because Cruise, and let me say I'm as nauseated with his persona and bizarre, increasingly weird habits, really plays an action hero with a degree of sweat, blood and tears that most don't.  He's very focused, takes it very seriously and is never off his game. 

And also, he played an outrageous, moving character in Magnolia not to long ago, completely against type.  I wish he'd do more ensemble work like that, rather than films built around his image. 

rt

I've always thought that Tom was more like his character in Magnolia than any of the other movies he's done.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2006, 06:12:31 pm »
I never saw Magnolia, not completely, but I probably should since I liked Boogie Nights.  So obviously I don't know what his performance in that was like.  I saw probably five minutes of Collateral so again not really enough to form an opinion.  You're probably right, rt, about what he brings to the action hero roles.  It just hasn't been enough to draw me in to see a movie of his.  I think the last thing I saw him in was Minority Report, which I found enjoyable, but not as good as Blade Runner.

I remember seeing him on some awards show, and Jamie Foxx was on and it was after they did Collateral so I guess they were pretty friendly.  At one point Jamie Foxx might have been presenting, or just speaking at the mike, and it looked like Tom Cruise was standing on a sloped part of the stage.  I just thought, how bizarre, it's like it was designed to make him look at tall as Jamie Foxx, because God forbid anyone should think Tom Cruise is short. 

Some celebrity/superstar/actors, to paraphrase Dorothy Parker, run the gamut from A to B in terms of the type of part they play.  Good for them if it brings in a steady income and people flock to see it.  I had a similar dislike of Bruce Willis, in terms of his range of roles and his politics.  The Sixth Sense changed my mind a bit, at least enough to also see Sin City (then again, Clive Owens was in that too, drooool).  Occasionally the persona doesn't overshadow the celebrity...but not very often.

Juan

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2006, 06:16:47 pm »

To me, Closer is about as raw and honest a look at selfish modern relationships and the impulses and manipulations that drive them than any other film I have ever seen. 

The honest dialogue is acidic and pointed and Natalie Portman (and Clive Owen) is completely heartbreaking, particularly during the scene where she says:

"I'm not sure when your moment was, but I'm sure there was one." 

The scene between her and Clive Owen later in the strip club says a lot about the putting on and taking off of masks, and it's frightening. 

The way the control is wrestled back and forth between the four of them and where they end up, is, at least to me, pretty frank and honest. 

rt

Sorry, but I really liked Closer. I just LOVE Clive Owen as an actor and Natalie Portman as an actress.  I'm with you on this rt, and I loved your summary of the movie.  If I had 1 minor quibble with Closerl, it would be that people rarely speak in the meaningful prose that seemed to comprise every line, but I understand this was a deliberate tactic on the part of the writer and director.  Still doesn't detract from the fact that its a great film.  I love seeing an actor like Clive Owen get to shine.  And rt, i LOVED that scene between he and Portman at the end in the strip club. Especially when you realise she's being honest with HIM, when she couldn't be honest with her boyfriend of several years.. So powerful.

And for the record, I'll definitely be seeing MI-III.  I'm not so naive as to claim that actors and their personal lives won't influence whether I will or won't see a movie, but there just happen to be many actors in this movie that I admire greatly and I'd like to support their work (especially the fabulous Michelle Monaghan). Leaving Tom Cruise - the-couch-jumping, placenta -chomping-Scientologist-weirdo out of the picture? I can enjoy watching him do what he does best. Yes, I mean that. I thought he did a great job in Born of the 4th of July, I thought he was mesmerising in Magnolia (if only for the fact that he turned in a blistering perfomance in a film where he wasn't the lead - I loved it!!) and I loved him in Collateral. Heck I even liked him in Jerry Maguire, even though that film belongs in the same category at Blockbuster as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty... lol. Cruise CAN act, anyone who says otherwise hasn't paid close attention to the aforementioned movies.  

Just my $0.02.. ;D
Chut up!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2006, 06:34:31 pm »
I think you're only appologizing to Chris, as far as I can tell the rest of us here all loved it! I adore Natalie and Clive's not so bad himself  ;D
Well said Sheyne, babe, well said  :-*

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2006, 06:39:05 pm »
I think you're only appologizing to Chris, as far as I can tell the rest of us here all loved it! I adore Natalie and Clive's not so bad himself  ;D
Well said Sheyne, babe, well said  :-*

And there's no reason to apologize......I didn't care for the film but I respect the opinion of those who did....no worries!  ;D

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2006, 07:56:29 pm »
I'm boycotting it. I don't like Tom Cruise, at all. But thanks for the review.

Ditto.

I liked 'Signs' but because of the director and the topic.  It had nothing to do with the actors.  I used to see Mel Gibson movies simply because the man was ungodly beautiful.  He's still a good actor, but he's rapidly lost his looks and  his bizarre personal beliefs quickly killed my interest in him.

'Jarhead' I failed to connect with and failed to 'feel his pain'.  However, perhaps Mendes - like Ang - meant us to feel the 'disconnection' these guys felt there, the idea that their real personas were buried under their military bravado masks and only came out to their detriment.  I found more to like in 'Jarhead' the more I saw it.  And though I do find Jake very attractive, he wasn't in 'Jarhead'.  Did not go for the skinhead no-neck look.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 08:06:30 pm by delalluvia »

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2006, 08:02:37 pm »
I have a question. The only time I saw the first two MI movies was way back when they were in theatres. I pretty much don't remember anything about the stories. Will I be lost in MI3 without remembering what happened in the first two?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:29 pm »
Most criticism, protests and objections to things--BBM notwithstanding--all stem from some sort of misunderstood idea of what the art is trying to do or say, and not actually with what is in the piece itself.  

rt

Well, I agree with you rtprod but not everybody has enough strenght to see these kind of films, not after experiencing the attack first hand in one way or another. I was just to trying explain why some people won't see the film. They simply cannot deal with it.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2006, 08:44:07 pm »
I don't want to like Tom Cruise.  So I'm going to wait and borrow the DVD from a friend.  Don't even get me started about homophobe Mel Gibson.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2006, 09:08:57 pm »
Good Night to me, was a very tiny slice and a modest film that rode its way to considerable attention for two reasons -- George Clooney at the helm and and a built-in issue that resonated with the artistic industry voting bodies.  It's certainly well-made and intelligent, but to me it seems content to be a "small" picture in many ways and is a bit esoteric.  Still very well made.

Capote was my second favorite of the nominees, and to me just an amazingly complex character in Capote, with his shifting loyalties and allegiances, his dark heart and impure motivations and ability to be as much of a con man as Perry Smith himself.  And speaking of Smith, Clifton Collins, Jr., was robbed of year-end kudos in my book, and if that is not a powerful supporting character who forces the lead to re-examine himself (the ideal function of a best supporting actor) then what is?  I really dug the vibe of something sickening rising in the heartland, crime, murder and corruption of the soul.  

Ah, RT, my other half it seems at times.  I too think Crash is a good film.  I just don't think it's a great one.  But I agree that it's been maligned more than it deserves in and of itself, and like you, I hold Lions Gate accountable for that.  Just as I hold Miramax accountable for giving one of my favorite films in recent years a bad name it doesn't deserve by buying its Oscar.

And I thought Good Night... was just so-so.  None of the characters - not even Edward R. Murrow who's a hero of mine about whom I wrote my 11th Grade 20-page term paper and played by the brilliant David Straithairn.  And I too thought it got more publicity than it deserved because of a certain George's ties to it.

Finally, Capote was my second favorite movie of the year, and I think far and away better than 3 out of four of the other contenders.  Well-constructed, beautifully shot and edited.  I'm only sorry that Hoffman's notoriety for his role overshadowed the really excellent work done by all of the supporting cast.  Not a one of those performances rang false.

On your recommendation, I may very well see this one.  I *loathe* Tom Cruise the person, but I have to admit he's really a fine actor.  I actually quite liked him in "Jerry Maguire," and believe me, I didn't expect or even want to.  My biggest bias against this one was that MI:II was such a chocolate mess.  My husband calls it "Mission:  Improbable" on a regular basis.  It actually pissed him off just how bad it was.  But I *loved* the original Speed, the original Lethal Weapon, and even True Lies (I actually found it very romantic, even though certain aspects kind of annoyed the crap out of me, like how badly it stereotyped Arabs).  I quite liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith, too, even though I wouldn't call myself an Angelina Jolie fan (sorry, dear Del).  I do think she is really a fine actor who's always engaging, though, even in crapola.  And she's certainly been in her share of that.

So I'll give it a whirl.  For you, lovey.  :-*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:11:47 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2006, 09:12:26 pm »
Oh, and Mel Gibson can bite my lily-white ass.
No more beans!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2006, 09:24:51 pm »
Oh, and Mel Gibson can bite my lily-white ass.

Nice!

I really liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was funny and those two just OOZE the charm. Plus, it had Vince Vaughn in it and I LOVE me some Vince.

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2006, 12:16:37 pm »
Thanks for your review rt,... I probably will check it out... I did not plan to see it untill I read your post.  The MI: 2.. was such a disaster!!!..... it was SO full of it. I remembered that  I checked my watch constantly when I was in the theater... even I  loved Tom Cruise back then.   ::)

rtprod

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2006, 12:34:46 pm »
Hey Barb!

Ah, RT, my other half it seems at times.

Seems so, doesn't it babe?

So I'll give it a whirl.  For you, lovey. 

Have I told you lately....?   ;)

xo

rt
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:46:20 pm by rtprod »

rtprod

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2006, 12:39:13 pm »
If I had 1 minor quibble with Closer, it would be that people rarely speak in the meaningful prose that seemed to comprise every line, but I understand this was a deliberate tactic on the part of the writer and director.

Sheyne, so true, so true.  While most real life interactions tend toward the banal (sadly true), those characters speak in a rather poetic foreign tongue, don't they, in terms of their self-awareness and direct level of communication?  Nothing remotely realistic about it -- thank god. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:47:13 pm by rtprod »

rtprod

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2006, 12:49:19 pm »
Thanks for your review rt,... I probably will check it out... I did not plan to see it untill I read your post.  The MI: 2.. was such a disaster!!!..... it was SO full of it. I remembered that  I checked my watch constantly when I was in the theater... even I  loved Tom Cruise back then. 

Hey Houston,

Still waiting for that lunch date you owe me.... what gives?

Yeah, I did the same -- saw that MI2 dog on its opening holiday weekend some years back and squirmed through two hours of canted camera angles, white doves in slow-mo and a feature that looked like cutting room floor Woo. 

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2006, 12:54:22 pm »
Sheyne, so true, so true.  While most real life interactions tend toward the banal (sadly true), those characters speak in a rather poetic foreign tongue, don't they, in terms of their self-awareness and direct level of communication?  Nothing remotely realistic about it -- thank god.

I agree with you both.  But I found it kind of Shakespearean that way.  I saw it on the London stage (after Clive Owen's tenure with it, unfortunately).  Ed and I bought half-off tickets the day of the show, and they ended up being front row center, which was actually not the best seat in the house because our knees almost touched the stage.  Kinda weird looking at everyone from that angle for 2 hours, ya know?  But I thought it was tremendous.  Ed said he thought it was good but "hard to watch."  I think that's the point.
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2006, 01:20:42 pm »
I have a question. The only time I saw the first two MI movies was way back when they were in theatres. I pretty much don't remember anything about the stories. Will I be lost in MI3 without remembering what happened in the first two?

Nope, not one bit.  It's completely self-contained and needs no refresher. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:38:52 pm by rtprod »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2006, 01:28:23 pm »
I don't want to like Tom Cruise. [..] Don't even get me started about homophobe Mel Gibson.
Tooooooootally with you on this Flashframe! Don't want to like Tom Cruise. Never really did. True though, good actor. Will see MI3 once probably.

Not that it interests anyone, but TC's films I've seen:

War of the Worlds - once
Minority Report  - once
Mission: Impossible II - once
Magnolia - once (but not to the end)
Mission: Impossible - once
Interview with the Vampire: - never, but have it on tape
A Few Good Men - once or twice
Rain Man - once
Cocktail - once or twice
Top Gun - once or twice
The Outsiders - several times, but NOT because of TC!

None of the ones not mentioned.

Same thing with Mel Gibson..

Signs – never (have it on tape for Joaquim Phoenix though)
We Were Soldiers – never (have it on tape)
What Women Want - never
The Patriot – have DVD because of Heath Ledger!
Payback - never
Conspiracy Theory - never
Ransom - never
Braveheart - never
Maverick - never
The Man Without a Face – several times for Nick Stahl. Awesome!
Forever Young – once I think..
Hamlet - never, but would
Air America – never (but would for Robert Downey Jr)
Bird on a Wire - never
Tequila Sunrise – once I think..
Lethal Weapon – none of them
Mrs. Soffel – once because of Matthew Modine
The Bounty - once
Gallipoli – once or twice
Mad Max – none of them

The ones I haven't mentioned, I haven't seen either.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2006, 02:09:46 pm »
Nope, not one bit.  It's completely self-contained and needs no refresher. 

rt

Thanks! In that case, I'm sure I'll see it at some point.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2006, 03:13:22 pm »
Stephanie Zacharek, who writes reviews for salon.com, has a negative review for MI3. She also did not like United 93 and I think we all remember that she is the reviewer that slammed BBM. What does she like? How about American Dreamz....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

rtprod

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2006, 03:34:52 pm »
Stephanie Zacharek, who writes reviews for salon.com, has a negative review for MI3. She also did not like United 93 and I think we all remember that she is the reviewer that slammed BBM. What does she like? How about American Dreamz....

Well American Dreamz was quite appealing though a bit strained at times, but funny. 

I can't stand Salon.com, and never have been able to. 

rt

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2006, 03:48:18 pm »
I like both Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson in movies. I don't like either in real life. For whatever reason, I'm usually able to forget about that stuff inside the theater.

Not always, though. Katie Holmes kind of creeped me out in "Thank You For Smoking." But that's probably also because she's not the greatest actor and her character was despicable. And at this point I think I'd have trouble watching anything with Tony Curtis or Ernest Borgnine.

Anyway, rt, thanks for the recommendation. I loved "Speed." I probably wouldn't have seen MI3 otherwise, but now I will.

rtprod

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2006, 05:04:05 pm »
Katie Holmes, hmmm.  Wish I felt differently about her but after more than her fair share of performances, I can't think of a single one that was really "good," though she was fine in Wonderboys I thought, and had Pieces of April stolen away from her by Patricia Clarkson.  She bellyflopped in Batman and Thank You for Smoking.  Ho-hum. 

Anyway, rt, thanks for the recommendation. I loved "Speed." I probably wouldn't have seen MI3 otherwise, but now I will.

Boy, now it really better be good I guess with people paying to see it.  Do I have to reimburse ya'll if you don't like?

:-\

rt

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2006, 09:34:45 pm »
Heh, just read in US magazine that Tom has announced that 'Katie' is now 'Kate'.

Apparently, 'Katie' is a girl's name and Katie is now a 'child-bearing woman'.

Funny how this didn't come from Kate.

[cut to Kathy Bates as Molly Brown in 'Titanic']

You gunna cut her food for her too, Cal?

:P  Gag me now. 

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2006, 11:24:53 pm »

Boy, now it really better be good I guess with people paying to see it.  Do I have to reimburse ya'll if you don't like?

:-\

rt

Naw,  a gooooood lunch will do  ;D   Remember our lunch date? :-*

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2006, 11:35:28 pm »
Funny how this didn't come from Kate.

[cut to Kathy Bates as Molly Brown in 'Titanic']

You gunna cut her food for her too, Cal?

:P  Gag me now. 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love you, Del.   :-*  That was beautiful!!!
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2006, 08:42:22 am »
I'm not sure if this was posted before but for all of you that are interested in Cruise's latest flick, CNN has good reviews. I'm still boycotting it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/04/ew.mov.mi3/index.html

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2006, 09:28:45 am »
Rottentomatoes emails me every week with movie reviews.  For MI3, it said something like, nevermind it's nonsensical plot, it's gotten the best reviews of the series.  Even if I didn't dislike Tom Cruise, I try and limit how many movies I see where I know going into it that it's gonna be ridiculous.  My summer popcorn movies are gonna be X-3, Superman, possibly Poseidon and The Da Vinci Code.

Juan

rtprod

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2006, 12:53:44 pm »
Naw,  a gooooood lunch will do     Remember our lunch date?

You better believe I do, you're my first stop on my summer road trip babe.

xo    ;)

rt

rtprod

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2006, 12:55:09 pm »
Rottentomatoes emails me every week with movie reviews.  For MI3, it said something like, nevermind it's nonsensical plot, it's gotten the best reviews of the series.  Even if I didn't dislike Tom Cruise, I try and limit how many movies I see where I know going into it that it's gonna be ridiculous.  My summer popcorn movies are gonna be X-3, Superman, possibly Poseidon and The Da Vinci Code.

Juan, I'm going to meet you and treat you to this film...

lol

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2006, 01:02:21 pm »

You better believe I do, you're my first stop on my summer road trip babe.

xo    ;)

rt

You like lobster, rt? (Gotta figure out some way to get ya to put Maine on the road trip itinerary...)

L

rtprod

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2006, 02:47:46 pm »
You like lobster, rt? (Gotta figure out some way to get ya to put Maine on the road trip itinerary...)

L

Leslie babe, you're too good to me, you know that?     ;D

And it won't take lobster to get me up to your place -- just you. 

rt 

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2006, 10:02:48 pm »
I may have to wait for DVD on this one.

Saw this on CNN. It's interesting, Tom's weird behaviors started to impact his earning power.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/05/10/cruise.poll.reut/index.html

Cruise's popularity on the skids?
Overexposed or odd, Cruise's behavior may be costing him millions

Wednesday, May 10, 2006; Posted: 9:15 p.m. EDT (01:15 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Powerful Hollywood friends of Tom Cruise rallied to his defense Wednesday as a new poll suggested the actor's odd behavior in recent months may have cost him millions of dollars at the box office.

Days after his latest movie, "Mission: Impossible III," opened to lower-than-expected domestic ticket sales, a USA Today/Gallup poll showed Cruise's star power has dimmed considerably during the past year in the eyes of the public.

In the poll of 1,013 adults conducted over the weekend the film opened in theaters, 35 percent had a favorable opinion of Cruise, while 51 percent had an unfavorable opinion.

That's a major turnaround from last year when Cruise's previous film, "War of the Worlds," opened and his poll ratings were 58 percent favorable and 31 percent unfavorable.

USA Today reported that Cruise's popularity decline with women was especially sharp, slipping from a 56 percent favorable rating in 2005 to 35 percent now.

The poll prompted a concerted defense by Cruise's supporters, who insisted the actor's popularity and standing as one of Hollywood's most bankable stars was undiminished.

"Tom Cruise is one of the most important stars ever in the motion picture business," Universal Studios President Ron Meyer, a close friend and former agent, told Reuters. "I don't know anybody who has had the consistent success rate that Tom has. And nobody should be counting him out."

"Mission: Impossible III" grossed $47.7 million in its first three days at the North American box office, well short of the $60 million to $70 million expected by industry watchers despite generally warm reviews and an extra-wide opening in more than 4,000 theaters.

rtprod

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2006, 11:50:43 pm »
Don't let that box office report stop you from seeing a terrific action film -- since when is $48 million such a disappointment?  Of course, this cutthroat business did the same thing when King Kong's opening fell slightly below expectations. 

Whether or not Cruise is convicted in the court of public opinion, the film is still pretty damn good.

rt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:38:09 am by rtprod »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2006, 12:22:38 am »
Don't let that box office report stop you from seeing a terrific action film -- since when is $48 million such a disappointment.  Of course, this cutthroat business did the same thing when King Kong's opening fell slightly below expectations. 

Whether or not Cruise is convicted in the court of public opinion, the film is still pretty damn good.

rt

rt, if you say it's a good movie, I trust you :).  I never really pay attention to box office to decide the movie I want to see.  The only time I actually tracked box office was for BBM.  Just felt that is an interesting article, particular with the poll information.

Between United 93 and MI3, I think I probably will watch United 93 if I can somehow manage to see the movie with my husband, unless someone offers to baby sit :).

Edit:

Since part of MI3 was shot in China, I am not sure if I should feel intrigued or dreadful to see the movie.  Most of Hollywood movies portrait China in a way that I honestly don’t recognize.  The way people talk, dress, and act in the movie look phony to me.  I hope MI3 breaks that stereotype I have.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:52:20 am by JennyC »

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2006, 09:00:24 pm »
Don't let that box office report stop you from seeing a terrific action film -- since when is $48 million such a disappointment?  Of course, this cutthroat business did the same thing when King Kong's opening fell slightly below expectations. 

rt

I agree. I went to see it with my son tonight, and apart from one scene of exposition (hey! Look! I'm here to tell you what's going on!) I thought it was edge-of-the-seat exciting. I don't like Cruise, but that doesn't stop him being a terrific actor, and this was Cruise at his best. I won't bother to buy the DVD, but it was a great evening's entertainment.
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

rtprod

« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2006, 01:28:52 pm »
I agree. I went to see it with my son tonight, and apart from one scene of exposition (hey! Look! I'm here to tell you what's going on!) I thought it was edge-of-the-seat exciting. I don't like Cruise, but that doesn't stop him being a terrific actor, and this was Cruise at his best. I won't bother to buy the DVD, but it was a great evening's entertainment.

Wow, great -- so glad that you enjoyed it.  I guess we've seen it all as CGI action goes, but this one really kept me up and excited with a lack of computer effects and just good, old-fashioned stunts, choppers and guns!

Posiedon, on the other hand....  Ugh (read: yuck).   >:(

rt
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:15:44 am by rtprod »

TJ

« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2006, 09:31:08 pm »
While was a regular viewer of the TV series, "Mission Impossible," and a fan of the show, too. There is no way that I am going to spend money see any movie where Tom Cruise is the star. Yes, he is a good actor; but, he is stupid and belongs to a pseudo-religion created by a science fiction writer.

I have talked to several people who had been members of Scientology and they told me how money could give one high ranking status in the cult.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2006, 12:01:45 am »
I looked beyond Tom Cruise the weirdo and saw Ethan the character, which was played well, and I must say I really enjoyed the film. I hesitated about seeing it but I'm glad I went. It had some nice, touching scenes and some terrifically acted moments from Cruise. The plot keeps your attention and the characters are interesting. I won't say much else 'cause I don't wanna spoil anything for those who haven't seen it. I would have liked to have seen more of Phillip S. H.'s character, but overall I was very entertained and I recommend it.

rtprod

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2006, 12:17:24 am »
Mandy, did you not fall in love with Michelle Monaghan as Cruise's wife?  She NAILED that tiny role, especially in the CPR scene, didn't she?  Ohh, i dug her so much if I weren't arleady....  well, you know what I'm saying, right? 

;) ;) ;)

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2006, 12:27:32 am »
I absolutely loved her as his wife. She's so beautiful and talented. She really captivated me in the CPR scene! I loved her in North Country too (please excuse the confusion we had about her and that movie that we had on the phone a few weeks ago  :-\ I got some names mixed up!). Annnyway..

Ohh, i dug her so much if I weren't arleady.... 

If you weren't already... gay, you mean?  ;) ;) ;)

*lotsa love*

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2006, 10:27:18 am »
I loved MI:3's action scenes, it certainly didn't disappoint in the summer blockbuster thrills department - but I found all of the emotional scenes between Ethan and his wife really unrealistic and awkward. Plus watching Tom Cruise doing his crying face is almost as annoying as watching that Jack character from "Lost" do his crying, emotional face every bloody week! Still, MI3 was much better than the 2nd one, but not a patch on the first which I love - even though it has an overly-complicated, far fetched plot, I still love it. And its got Kristen Scott-Thomas in it, and she rules!...

rtprod

« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:46 am »
I absolutely loved her as his wife. She's so beautiful and talented. She really captivated me in the CPR scene! I loved her in North Country too (please excuse the confusion we had about her and that movie that we had on the phone a few weeks ago  :-\ I got some names mixed up!). Annnyway..

If you weren't already... gay, you mean?  ;) ;) ;)

*lotsa love*

Yeah well that's not exactly what I meant.  If that had been it, I would not have used the word "already"....   ;)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:41:14 am by rtprod »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2006, 04:37:19 pm »
Yeah well that's not exactly what I meant.  If that had been it, I would not have used the word "already"....   ;)

S'alright, rt.... s'alright.. I got what you meant..  ;)

Your - ahem - availability, right?  ;)

Mandy, did you not fall in love with Michelle Monaghan as Cruise's wife?

*sticks hand waaay up high in the air*

Um, yes. There. Already there.  Been there since "Mr & Mrs Smith" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
 ;D
Chut up!

rtprod

« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46:40 pm »
Sheyne,

Te he-he-he.  He-he.

Where were we again?  ;D

rt

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2006, 06:26:54 pm »
I looked beyond Tom Cruise the weirdo and saw Ethan the character, which was played well

That was my approach. I don't like Tom Cruise, but I was there for the story, and all I saw was Ethan Hunt. I won't go and see it umpteen times (as I did BBM ;)  ;D ) and I won't buy the DVD, but it delivered value for money for a good evening's entertainment.
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2006, 12:21:23 am »
Sheyne,

Te he-he-he.  He-he.

Where were we again?  ;D

rt

Where were we? Umm, talking about your availability apparently. Although, I haven't a clue WHAT Sheyne could possibly mean by that. Elaborate, my dear ones.  ;)

rtprod

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2006, 12:51:01 am »
Where were we? Umm, talking about your availability apparently. Although, I haven't a clue WHAT Sheyne could possibly mean by that. Elaborate, my dear ones.  ;)

Oh no, you haven't a clue have you?

Here we go again turning a perfectly legitimate thread into a haven for our personal adventures....  LOL. 

Guilty as charged.

rt

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2006, 03:26:24 am »
Here we go again turning a perfectly legitimate thread into a haven for our personal adventures....  LOL. 

Guilty as charged.

rt

Fast or slow, I just like the direction you're goin', rt... ;)  *I'm imagining you giggling.... and now I'm giggling too*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mandy, honey, you're just about the the most clued-in clueless person I evah met...  ;) ;)  One could be forgiven for thinking you wanted to just start talkin' about US again!!??   ::)
 ;D
Chut up!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2006, 09:20:54 pm »
 :-X

Y'all kill me.  ;)

Fabulous, as always.  :-*

*still have rt's adorable laugh and Sheyne's hot acccent in mind.. oh, and one can't forget B's cute accent*  ;D

Also, *bumping to emphasize my recommendation of MI3* It's good; go see it!  :)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2006, 06:54:30 am »

That's it.. I'm moving overseas...

Maybe to Newfoundland..
 ;)

Nobody here thinks my accent is hot..

*pout*
Chut up!

rtprod

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2006, 10:51:03 am »
That's it.. I'm moving overseas...

Maybe to Newfoundland..
 ;)

Nobody here thinks my accent is hot..

*pout*

Sheyne, time for a New Found Land I presume?  Um, yes, all of the accents are killing me too, particularly my Latino one lol......    ;D ;D ;D

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2006, 03:47:38 pm »
Sheyne: YES, Newfoundland! (Or, according to RT, New Found Land  ::)) Though, I reckon it's too cold here for you. But then again, I'm sure I could warm ya up!  ;)

Sheyne, time for a New Found Land I presume?  Um, yes, all of the accents are killing me too, particularly my Latino one lol......    ;D ;D ;D

rt

Hahahahahahaha, *pictures B blushing*

PS. We're evil.   :-*

rtprod

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2006, 04:15:26 pm »
Sheyne: YES, Newfoundland! (Or, according to RT, New Found Land  ::)) Though, I reckon it's too cold here for you. But then again, I'm sure I could warm ya up!  ;)

But bein bad feels sooooo good.   :o       

I think the exact wording, amidst the *blushing* you pictured, was:

"Alls I said was...it was some kind of accent...I didn't really mean Latino..."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:11:47 pm by rtprod »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2006, 04:39:59 pm »

That we are..  ;D  *polishes "evil" boots with gusto before leaving for work*

Uhhh, so Mandy tell me more about this "warming" thing, hunh?
 :D

*sheyne also polishes.....* nah, I'm not goin there...  :laugh:
Chut up!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2006, 08:00:58 am »
Uhhh, so Mandy tell me more about this "warming" thing, hunh?
 :D

*blushes* Ummm, I don't think it's appropriate to say in a public forum  ;)

What else is it you're polishing there hunny?

dmmb_Mandy

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 06:31:06 pm by dmmb_Mandy »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2006, 05:19:19 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh Mandy, this was HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!

I'm thinking "where are they going with this??" and then the Brokeback music kicked in and I just lost it...  :laugh: :laugh: LOL

As for what I'm polishing...  ::)  I can't quite describe it... you'll have to come and see it...  ;D
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2006, 06:26:05 pm »
Sorry, ladies, for taking the thread briefly back to its ORIGINAL TOPIC (ahem!) but I just wanted to mention that I took my sons to MI:3 today and rt, as you promised, it was riveting.

My favorite part is where he's sliding uncontrollably down the 45-degree-angled glass roof of a skyscraper, about to fly backward over the edge into downtown Shanghai traffic to meet his certain doom, and in that 15 seconds or so is able to get out his gun and, while lying on his back, take out two security guards with pinpoint accuracy. Tom Cruise is a fairly despicable person and only an OK actor, but he is a really good movie star.

(I did read today that Tom sent Brooke Shields a basket of baby gifts, which was a nice gesture!)

OK, back to the polishing question.

rtprod

« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2006, 06:45:21 pm »
Sorry, ladies, for taking the thread briefly back to its ORIGINAL TOPIC (ahem!) but I just wanted to mention that I took my sons to MI:3 today and rt, as you promised, it was riveting.

My favorite part is where he's sliding uncontrollably down the 45-degree-angled glass roof of a skyscraper, about to fly backward over the edge into downtown Shanghai traffic to meet his certain doom, and in that 15 seconds or so is able to get out his gun and, while lying on his back, take out two security guards with pinpoint accuracy. Tom Cruise is a fairly despicable person and only an OK actor, but he is a really good movie star.

(I did read today that Tom sent Brooke Shields a basket of baby gifts, which was a nice gesture!)

OK, back to the polishing question.

So nice to hear back that you enjoyed it!  I think my favorite moment is on the bridge when he turns around and the helicopters are rising behind him.

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2006, 06:50:49 pm »
So nice to hear back that you enjoyed it!  I think my favorite moment is on the bridge when he turns around and the helicopters are rising behind him.

rt

I LOVED that scene. I also loved the last 15 mins or so of the film; just great!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2006, 08:22:42 pm »

Haven't even seen it yet.  :(

Please forgive me, rt..   :-*
Chut up!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2006, 03:39:12 am »
Finally saw Mission Impossible III.  It’s the best action movie that I have seen in the recent few years.  It actually exceeded my already very high expectation.  The opening scene was very powerful.  The movie grabbed my attention and kept me on my tiptoe the entire time.  The emotion was high, the action sequences were well designed, and old Tom acted like a super hero and regular guy at the same time. Like many movie franchises, some plots in MI3 inevitably became predictable.  But overall it’s thrill ride from beginning to end, and I didn’t mind the parts that were predictable at all.  My husband, who is not a big action movie fan, and who only agreed to see Mission Impossible III with me because I agreed to see The Da Vinci Code next, thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:38:17 am by JennyC »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2006, 09:38:36 am »
I finally saw it yesterday.  Thoroughly enjoyed it myself.  Call me trite, but my favorite moment was when Keri Russell (Lindsay?) asked him if he had enough rounds left, he goes, "Yeah," snipers the bad guy with one shot, and then throws the gun down saying, "I'm spent."

I agree with Katherine, I think it was:  He's not on my list of favorite actors and he's a shit of a person, but he makes one hell of a movie star.  Action hero, really.  I was totally able to suspend any disbelief to the point that I forgot how much I loathe him, so he must be *really* good at it.

And Jonathan Rhys Meyers was in it.  Yippee!  That was an added bonus I wasn't anticipating.  Too bad his role was minimal, but he lit up the screen every (rare) time he was on it.  For me, anyway.  :)
No more beans!