Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1006441 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:32 am »
WORMS !  YUK  :o

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2008, 11:36:38 am »
WORMS !  YUK  :o

They are silk worms....LOL

And........where do you think they get bloody silk from.........over in China, they have huge factories, with millions and millions of silk worms spinning out silk. I saw that on a documentary one time.

And knowing the Chinese and what their eating habits are, no doubt, once the silk worm stops spinning silk, they probably eat the poor things.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2008, 11:47:51 am »

And........where do you think they get bloody silk from.........over in China, they have huge factories, with millions and millions of silk worms spinning out silk. I saw that on a documentary one time.

And knowing the Chinese and what their eating habits are, no doubt, once the silk worm stops spinning silk, they probably eat the poor things.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2008, 12:08:49 pm »

I kept silk worms as a child. A neighbour had a big old mulberry tree and I got leaves from his mulberry tree to feed them. I seem to remember it was more of a boy thing at my school. The girls weren't too interested in keeping silk worms.  ::)

It's true about the Chinese keeping silk worms. They've done so for many centuries. Hence the Silk Road to the West. Silk (and hence silk worms) was one of the primary things that initially attracted Western traders to China.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2008, 12:16:36 pm »
I kept silk worms as a child. A neighbour had a big old mulberry tree and I got leaves from his mulberry tree to feed them. I seem to remember it was more of a boy thing at my school. The girls weren't too interested in keeping silk worms.  ::)

It's true about the Chinese keeping silk worms. They've done so for many centuries. Hence the Silk Road to the West. Silk (and hence silk worms) was one of the primary things that initially attracted Western traders to China.  :D

Oh thank god, someone agrees with me, and not that Im surprised, an Aussie. Is it because we are a weird mob??

Yes Kerry, the documentary I saw was about the Silk Road, and I must say, I was flabergasted when I saw the factories of silk worms spinning the silk.

We got the silk worms in the pet shop just to see how they would go. They come in plastic containers (OMG just like what you get Chinese takeaway in), I think there are about six worms in each container. Anyway, we only bought eight containers, and sold out within two hours, so they are obviously still pretty popular with the kids.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2008, 02:14:12 pm »

And........where do you think they get bloody silk from........

;D

Love the swimming turtles pic - wanna see the lizards too!

I'd like to see a pic of the silk worms too actually!

In primary school the girls used to keep snails... we'd keep them in a butter tub (basically plastic box) with air holes and then let them slither about our trays during classes (these were the slide out trays under our desk that you were meant to put jotters in!)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »
;D

Love the swimming turtles pic - wanna see the lizards too!

I'd like to see a pic of the silk worms too actually!

In primary school the girls used to keep snails... we'd keep them in a butter tub (basically plastic box) with air holes and then let them slither about our trays during classes (these were the slide out trays under our desk that you were meant to put jotters in!)

Here ya go, Kelda. Click on this link for lots of silkworm pics, showing the different stages of their life cycle from worm (actually a large, plump, white grub, approx. 4cm long), through silk cocoon to white moth. It would be nice to think that something that spins such exquisite silk would finally emerge from its cocoon as a dazzlingly beautiful, brilliantly coloured butterfly. Alas, however, that's not the case. They're very drab little moths. Here's the link:

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/silkworm/silkworm.htm
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2008, 06:24:29 pm »
Oh thank god, someone agrees with me, and not that Im surprised, an Aussie. Is it because we are a weird mob??

Yes Kerry, the documentary I saw was about the Silk Road, and I must say, I was flabergasted when I saw the factories of silk worms spinning the silk.

We got the silk worms in the pet shop just to see how they would go. They come in plastic containers (OMG just like what you get Chinese takeaway in), I think there are about six worms in each container. Anyway, we only bought eight containers, and sold out within two hours, so they are obviously still pretty popular with the kids.

The kids at my school kept their silkworms in cardboard shoe boxes. For someone who's had no experience of silkworms, it must sound quite strange to hear me say they're funny, friendly, agreeable little fellows!  ;D They're very sluggish and slow-moving and spend all their lives munching contentedly away on mulberry leaves, which may account for their unique, very distinctive odour.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2008, 12:22:33 am »
Hi Shasta!

Here's what it said about my dog...

"CODY – Cody is a great name and is often associated with dogs that are gentle and mild-mannered. They are eager to please and want to be loved. Most Cody's are very huggable. Origin: English. Meaning: Reassuring."

Yup. That describes my baby all right. :D

It sounds just like him.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:49 am »
Huggable!

{{{{{{{{{{CODY}}}}}}}}}}

Give Cody a big hug for me, David!!   :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~