The World Beyond BetterMost > The Culture Tent

Music News

<< < (2/78) > >>

Front-Ranger:
Thanks, Gatt! This is very interesting. Notice he left the answer a little ambiguous, everybody, so we can debate it some more! BTW, do you ever think of the acoustic guitar as representing Ennis and the steel guitar representing Jack (or vice versa??

gattaca:

--- Quote from: Front-Ranger on June 07, 2006, 12:08:44 pm ---... do you ever think of the acoustic guitar as representing Ennis and the steel guitar representing Jack (or vice versa??

--- End quote ---

I'd have to give it some thought. Pedal steel elicits more sadness or sorrow (read: evokes minor chords) in a superior fashion to acoustic guitar IMO, so on the surface, I'd say I would tend to associate pedal steel with Ennis.

I found this:
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=602498865859&z=y&btob=Y

Gustavo Santaolalla         Guitar, Pump Organ
Mike Turner              Guitar
Mickey Raphael         Harmonica
David Mansfield          Mandolin
Richard Ruttenberg       Piano
Bob "Boo" Bernstein     Pedal Steel Guitar

Which gives clear composition credit to Bernstein for "pedal steel guitar"

Front-Ranger:
Yes, but isn't Jack more the tragic figure (tho they both are). Also, I think of the acoustic guitar as like Ennis because the notes are picked and they are precise and digital, whereas the bottleneck notes are analog and slidey...how do you like my command of musical terminology?  :laugh: And the acoustic guitar is what we hear at the beginning when we first see Ennis.

moremojo:

--- Quote from: Front-Ranger on June 07, 2006, 01:06:01 pm ---Yes, but isn't Jack more the tragic figure (tho they both are).

--- End quote ---
I see Ennis as the more tragic of the two. Jack acquires a kind of ironic peace, while Ennis must bear his sorrow, loneliness, and regret for the duration of his life.

Front-Ranger:
That is a good point, Scott. I will try to think "Jack/ironic peace" and maybe it will bring me some peace. I think that theme is contained in "Wings" too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version