Author Topic: Music News  (Read 221057 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Music News
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2020, 12:20:46 am »
Youth is no guarantee against fogey-ishness.

Well, that's true. I just looked it up and it specified that it's not necessarily old but "old-fashioned or conservative in attitude or tastes." So yes, one could be a fogey-ish youth.

In this case, I think it was that the guy called "boomer" as an insult had compared an older rapper to a newer rapper -- something like that. The term "boomer" didn't mean they were literally pining for the good old days of the Beatles.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2020, 02:32:01 pm »
Kenny Rogers is Dead at the Age of 81

Kenneth Ray Rogers (August 21, 1938 – March 20, 2020) was an American singer, songwriter, actor, record producer, and entrepreneur. He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2013.  Though he was most successful with country audiences, Rogers charted more than 120 hit singles across various music genres, topped the country and pop album charts for more than 200 individual weeks in the United States alone, and sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time.

He acted in a variety of movies and television shows, most notably the title roles in Kenny Rogers as The Gambler and the MacShayne series for The NBC Mystery Movie, and the 1982 feature film Six Pack.  He was a co-founder of the restaurant chain Kenny Rogers Roasters in collaboration with former Kentucky Fried Chicken CEO John Y. Brown Jr.. Although the stores closed in the United States, they are still a fixture in Asia.

Billboard Top 40 Hits

(as Kenny Rogers & The First Edition 1968-1973)

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - #5

But You Know I Love You - #19

Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town - #6

Something's Burning - #11

Tell It All Brother - #17

Heed the Call - #33

(Solo & Duet singles as Kenny Rogers  1970-1999)

Lucille - #5

Daytime Friends # 28

Love or Something Like It - #32

The Gambler - #16

She Believes in Me - #5

You Decorated My Life - #7

Coward of the County - #3

Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer - #4 (Duet with Kim Carnes)

Love the World Away - #14

Lady - #1

I Don't Need You - #3

Share Your Love with Me - #14

Through the Years - #13

Love Will Turn You Around - #13

We've Got Tonight - #6 (Duet with Sheena Easton)

All My Life - #37

Islands in the Stream - #1   (Duet with Dolly Parton)

This Woman - #23

What About Me? - #15 (with Kim Carnes and James Ingram)   

Buy Me a Rose - #40 (with Alison Krauss and Billy Dean)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2020, 03:09:33 pm »
Kenny knew when to fold 'em.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2020, 03:16:55 pm »
Bad news.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2020, 11:27:00 am »
Kenny knew when to fold 'em.

I wonder if he thought about how that often song would be quoted in his obituary/ies.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2020, 11:34:08 pm »
Check this amazing medley out!

Vocal group Pentatonix has released this video, since we're all stuck at home, of a medley of songs that talk about 'home' and 'house'.

They each recorded their own part from their own homes.

"Break My Heart" - Dua Lipa  (I should've stayed at home - 'Cause now there ain't no letting you go -Am I falling in love -With the one that could break my heart? )
"My House" - Flo Rida
"Our House" - Madness
"Our House" - Crosby Stills & Nash
"Work From Home" - Fifth Harmony
"House Party" - Sam Hunt
"Home" - Edward Sharpe
"Home" - Phillip Phillips
"Take Me Home" - Pentatonix
"Home" - Michael Bublé
"Home" - Daughtry
"Mama I'm Coming Home" - Ozzy Osbourne
"Home Sweet Home" - Motley Crue

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2020, 08:24:42 am »
If I heard correctly this morning, the Dixie Chicks will now be just the Chicks, and Lady Antebellum will be just Lady A.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2020, 02:16:34 pm »
If I heard correctly this morning, the Dixie Chicks will now be just the Chicks, and Lady Antebellum will be just Lady A.

I haven't checked into the Dixie Chicks story, but I did hear that about Lady A, and even that is a problem now.

Lady Antebellum Is Now ‘Lady A.’ But So Is a Blues Singer Who’s Used the Name for 20 Years

By AMY X. WANG & ETHAN MILLMAN

Seattle blues singer Lady A had just gotten off of work on Thursday when a bombardment of phone messages from friends, fans and producers came in all shouting the same thing: Her name had been stolen.

Earlier that day, Grammy-winning country trio Lady Antebellum — whose name had been criticized for its associations with romanticized ideas of the pre-war, slavery-ridden American South — announced they were changing their name to Lady A in light of a heightened national conversation about racism. Lady Antebellum made the changes swiftly on social media and distribution platforms including Spotify and Apple Music, and the group’s website also announced their rechristening as Lady A. But according to Seattle’s Lady A, neither the band nor any members of their team reached out to her before making the change.

This Lady A — a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White — has been playing the blues under the name for more than 20 years. She began singing as a gospel performer at church and started going by Lady A for karaoke nights in the Eighties. She’s released multiple albums with the name, and on top of her day job working with Seattle Public Utilities, she’s gearing up to release another album, Lady A: Live in New Orleans, on her birthday on July 18th.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/lady-antebellum-lady-a-country-blues-1013919/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2020, 02:43:05 pm »
Lady Antebellum Is Now ‘Lady A.’ But So Is a Blues Singer Who’s Used the Name for 20 Years

Ooops.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2020, 03:57:52 pm »
Just found this online.

Dixie Chicks Change Band Name To The Chicks

June 25, 20202:37 PM ET  Anastasia Tsioulcas

The country trio Dixie Chicks have changed the group's name to The Chicks in an apparent distancing from a name associated with the Confederate-era South.

The switch was not made with any kind of official announcement or explanation but simply with the release of a new song, "March March," on Thursday. Its lyrics and video reference current and past public protests involving racial justice, police brutality, gun violence, climate change and LGBTQ rights. The video compares current themes to historical fights in the U.S. for women's right to vote and the struggles for Black and LGBTQ civil rights.

The video also scrolls the names of dozens of Black victims of police brutality and those who died in apparently racially motivated confrontations, including George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Eric Garner and Amadou Diallo. The list of names that quickly flash by goes on for more than a full minute.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/25/883328370/dixie-chicks-change-band-name-to-the-chicks