Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220951 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Music News
« Reply #350 on: May 11, 2023, 09:14:32 pm »
They're all great songs, "Edmund Fitzgerald," "Sundown," and "If You Could Read My Mind."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #351 on: May 12, 2023, 03:19:44 pm »
Did you ever hear the cover version by "Stars on 54"?

The song was recorded for the movie "54",  the film about the NYC disco Studio 54.

Stars on 54 was made up of three successful dance music artists, as a one shot group:   Ultra Nate (pronounced "Nah-tay),  Amber, and Jocelyn Enriquez.

Ultra Nate has 15 Top 10 singles on the Billboard Dance Charts.   Amber has 12 Top 10 singles on the Billboard Dance Charts.  Jocelyn Enriquez has 5 Top 10 singles on the Billboard Dance Charts.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #352 on: May 24, 2023, 07:31:38 pm »
Tina Turner Dies at 83

Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock; November 26, 1939 ? May 24, 2023) was an American-born and naturalized Swiss singer, dancer, actress, and author. Widely referred to as the "Queen of Rock 'n' Roll", she rose to prominence as the lead singer of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue before launching a successful career as a solo performer.

Turner began her career with Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm in 1957. Under the name Little Ann, she appeared on her first record, "Boxtop", in 1958. In 1960, she debuted as Tina Turner.

In the 1980s, Turner launched "one of the greatest comebacks in music history". Her 1984 multi-platinum album Private Dancer contained the hit song "What's Love Got to Do with It", which won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and became her first and only number-one song on the Billboard Hot 100. Aged 44, she was the oldest female solo artist to top the Hot 100.

Turner also acted in the films Tommy (1975) and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985). In 1993, What's Love Got to Do with It, a biographical film adapted from her autobiography I, Tina: My Life Story, was released.

Having sold over 100 million records worldwide, Turner is one of the best-selling recording artists of all time. She received 12 Grammy Awards, which include eight competitive awards, three Grammy Hall of Fame awards and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. She was the first black artist and first woman to be on the cover of Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone ranked her among the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.  Turner had a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the St. Louis Walk of Fame. She was twice inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with Ike Turner in 1991 and as a solo artist in 2021.  She was also a 2005 recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors and Women of the Year award.

Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 singles of Ike & Tina Turner.

Year              Song Title                       Peak Position on Billboard Top 40 Chart

1960  -                "A Fool In Love"                                               #27
1961  -                "It's Gonna Work Out Fine"                               #14
1961  -                "Poor Fool"                                                      #38
1970  -                "I Wanna Take You Higher"                                #34
1971 -                 "Proud Mary"                                                   #4
1973 -                 "Nutbush City Limit"                                         #22

Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 singles of Tina Turner.

Year              Song Title                       Peak Position on Billboard Top 40 Chart

1983  -                "Let's Stay Together"                                        #26
1984  -                "What's Love Got To Do With It"                        #1
1984  -                "Better Be Good To Me"                                    #5
1984  -                "Private Dancer"                                              #7
1985 -                 "Show Some Respect"                                      #37
1985 -                 "We Don't Need Another Hero"                          #2
1985 -                 "One of The Living"                                          #15
1985 -                 "It's Only Love" (Duet with Bryan Adams)          #15   
1986 -                 "Typical Male"                                                  #2
1986 -                 "Two People"                                                   #30
1987 -                 "What You See Is What You Get"                       #13
1989 -                 "The Best"                                                       #15     
1989 -                 "Steamy Windows"                                          #39
1993 -                 "I Don't Wanna Fight"                                      #9

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #353 on: May 24, 2023, 10:14:31 pm »
Amazing woman. ...

"It's Only Love" is on Bryan Adams' album "Reckless."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #354 on: May 28, 2023, 11:38:32 am »
 :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2023, 08:51:04 am »
Astrud Gilberto, the singer who gained world-wide fame as the singer of the ionic "The Girl from Ipanema," has died at age 83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrud_Gilberto

OMG, she was living right here in Philadelphia!  :o

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2023, 08:26:51 pm »
The Weeknd is a Canadian singer, songwriter, record producer, and actor.  A prominent figure in contemporary popular music, he is noted for his unconventional music production, artistic reinventions, and his signature use of the falsetto register.

Since his first hit US single ("Earned It" - released in 2014) he has had 29 Top 40 hits.

His latest song is called "Popular", and it debuted on the Hot 100 chart at #43 this week.  If it gets to #40 (or goes higher) it becomes his 30th Top 40 hit in just 9 years, but "Poplular" is notable for another reason.

The song is not just a song by The Weeknd.  It features a spoken word and sung verse by Madonna, as well as a part by Playboi Carti.  With this week's debut, it means that Madonna has had songs on the Hot 100 chart in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, and 20s.....5 different decades.

The only other woman to do that is Cher, with songs on the Hot 100 in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2023, 08:41:51 am »
Madonna is out of the ICU, but evidently she is still hospitalized.

I saw a report on this morning's news. The reporter, who should know better, said that Madonna is in her sixth decade. Well, no. On August 16 she will turn 65. That means she is in her seventh decade--same as anyone else who has passed age 60.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2023, 11:43:37 am »
Madonna is out of the ICU, but evidently she is still hospitalized.

I hadn't even heard about this!

I saw a report on this morning's news. The reporter, who should know better, said that Madonna is in her sixth decade. Well, no. On August 16 she will turn 65. That means she is in her seventh decade--same as anyone else who has passed age 60.

They forget that your first decade starts right after zero years old.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2023, 12:29:13 pm »
I didn't hear about it either. Was it an injury while she was performing?
"chewing gum and duct tape"