Author Topic: Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost - POV from a real Pentecostal  (Read 12873 times)

TJ

At the suggestion of Roland, one of the moderators, I created a discussion topic thread related the Pentecost.

Some people don't know that "Pentecost" does not have an 'a' in it. "Pentecost" means "fifty." Please note that I did not create this thread to have those Believers in Jesus the Christ to be flamed by those who don't approve of "Christians."

Here is a quote from the Annie Proulx short story which was published in books regarding the mention of "Pentecost."

The summer went on and they moved the herd to new pasture, shifted the camp; the distance between the sheep and the new camp was greater and the night ride longer.
Ennis rode easy, sleeping with his eyes open, but the hours he was away from the sheep stretched out and out. Jack pulled a squalling burr out of the harmonica, flattened a little from a fall off the skittish bay mare, and Ennis had a good raspy voice; a few nights they mangled their way through some songs. Ennis knew the salty words to "Strawberry Roan." Jack tried a Carl Perkins song, bawling "what I say-ay-ay," but he favored a sad hymn, "Water-Walking Jesus," learned from his mother who believed in the Pentecost, that he sang at dirge slowness, setting off distant coyote yips.

I will add more to the discussion as time progresses.  I am openly gay and just as openly Pentecostal and the only closet which I have is a "prayer closet," which just means that while I do pray in church, I don't pray in public to attract attention to myself. I am evangelical; but, I am not a fundamentalist. Even Jesus got a lot of flack from the religious right Pharisees because he was not exactly a fundamentalist Jew either.

TJ

I do own/moderate a Yahoo Group for Pentecostal Gays and Lesbians who are Trinitarian in the doctrinal beliefs. As you can see below, it is not limited to gays only.

I call it The Country Church of Good News. Here is the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Country_Church_of_Good_News/

Title:    The Country Church of Good News 
Description:    Since this group is for those mentally mature ADULT men and women who are OUT-OF-THE CLOSET,   Believers (aka "Christians") who belong to the Faith in Jesus the Christ community (called "The Way" in the Bible), your name [legal or nickname], your adult age, your location [City and State or City and Country, Please!], and your  gender(male or female) must be listed on the Yahoo! Profile webpage linked to your Yahoo! ID for this group!

An open discussion and support group for members who are OUT-OF THE CLOSET and accept all people just as they are and open about being Believers in Jesus the Christ, too.

To Evangelize means to "Announce the Good News!" Jesus said, "Let whosoever come unto Me." You are a whosoever, no matter if you self-identify as one who is gay, lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual, transsexual, transgender, or Intersex. 

I do post messages related to Brokeback Mountain in the Country Church group.

TJ

I posted the reply below in another location originally.

I love Jack's mom because she allowed herself to acknowledge and accept the relationship between her son and Ennis. As a Pentecostal woman-that was a couragous thing to do. I grew up in the Pentecostal church. Let me tell you, homosexuality is about the worst "sin" in their view. There are some wonderful aspects of the church. But tolerance is not one of them. My grandmother and my father were two of the most honest and decent people i have ever known. They tried to live the best life they could. They followed the Pentcostal dogma though. So sadly, they missed the experience of knowing people of many beliefs and walks of life-because those people didnt conform to the church's view of what was "right".

I do like the way that Roberta Maxwell portrayed Jack Twist's movie mother, even though she does/says some things in the movie that are slightly different than in Annie Proulx's original short story.

If Jack Twist's mother was a Pentecostal as Roberta Maxwell said, more than likely she would have been a Trinitarian Pentecostal who either had attended an independent Pentecostal church or a denominational one like an Assembly of God.

I have non-trinitarian Pentecostal relatives who belong to United Pentecostal Church International congregations. When they say "the Pentecostal Church," they are only talking about their own denomination which claims that it is not THE only Pentecostal church God recognizes, it is the only denomination that God recognizes. The "United" in the denominational name refers to that some congregations and preachers split from the General Council of the Assemblies of God and united themselves with the One-ness/Jesus-Name-Only Pentecostal church. The UPCI does not approve of women having short hairdos.

I grew up attending a variety of Pentecostal churches, some independent and some denominational. The only people whom I knew grew up in any church, literally speaking, LOL, were those whose families lived in residence, someplace in the church building.

My parents were Pentecostal before they got married. Mom had become Pentecostal by experience in a church which later became an AG. And Dad became Pentecostal in an independent Oneness Pentecostal church which most of Mom's relatives attended in the community of Tiawah, south of Claremore, Oklahoma. We started attending mostly AG churches after I was 4 years old and my father even pastored the Washington Community Assembly of God in rural Rogers County NE of Claremore when I was in the 4th & 5th grades.

I have mentioned in other forums, besides the "BetterMost" one, that "If Jack's mother had taught Jack the sad hymn 'Water-Walking Jesus,' more than likely she would have either taught what Pentecost meant or he would have learned it himself in Sunday School and church. In the small town/community & country Pentecostal churches that I attended while I was growing up, the non-regular church attending husband had respect for his wife's beliefs. And, if they had children, including sons, the father usually sent them to church services with their mother, even if he had to drive the car or truck to make sure they got there.

The "Water-Walking Jesus" was probably a song title that Annie Proulx made up for her story. And, while James McMurty actually wrote the limited lyrics as sung by Jack, credit for the song was given to her and  Larry McMurtry, too.

From my own very personal POV as a practicing Pentecostal by choice and by experience, I think that the implied song in the book had to do with one of the pre-Easter "Good Friday" stories since it was a "sad hymn." J. McMurtry's version made it into a "Rapture Me (take me away) Jesus" song to fit the movie script.

While the AG congregations did sing classical church hymns back in the 1950s and 1960s, more than likely Jack's song would have been what is called "Southern Gospel" since that singing style was more popular with Pentecostal churches. Jack and Ennis could have known Stuart Hamblin's "This Ol' House" (a "Rapture" song) and "It Is No Secret." Hamblin used to have a Hollywood based radio program called "Cowboy Church of the Air." The gospel songs he wrote were based on classical Western Ballads as far as the music was concerned.

My mother was an okay singer when singing with others as in a choir, but, she was not that on-key when she sang by her self. And, Jack's mother could have done like my mother when doing household chores, Mom sang church songs or even made up some while doing house work and especially when doing dishes in the kitchen.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Please note that I did not create this thread to have those Believers in Jesus the Christ to be flamed by those who don't approve of "Christians."

TJ - to paraphrase - When you came aboard here at bettermost, you were reborn!  :D -

OK, the analogy may be all screwed up, but my point is, you're at bettermost here, not at IMDb! trolls are not tolerated here. Should there be any lack of respect here the moderators WILL do something about it. And unlike IMDb, threads don't get deleted unless they are inappropriate. Rest assured, you are welcome here, and soon the IMDb nightmare will disappear from your concerns. after all - WE are family here!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

TJ

Oh, Roland, it was not to an "IMDb nightmare," to which I was making a reference, it was on the davecullen.com forum where I got "flamed" by a forum member (I even got banned from there). I did very little posting on the IMDb site.

TJ

I created a poll somewhat related to this discussion and it is for those Believers in Jesus who are indentified as "Christian."

Here is the link: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1173.0

TJ

I posted this elsewhere and I believe it fits here. Please excuse what might have been repeated previously in this discussion.

----------------
Because of I know the "official" history of those who "believe in the Pentecost" like Jack Twist's mother did and the fact that Roberta Maxwell, who portrayed her in the movie, said that Mrs. John C. Twist, Sr. was Pentecostal, I chose an alternate answer which was "Non-organized Christian."

Pentecostal churches, independent congregations, semi-non-denomination and denominational ones, are not historically speaking Protestant churches.

According to Catholic and Protestant denominational histories, for a church to be officially a Protestant Church, it has to have split from the Roman Catholic Church AND have Martin Luther in its official history.

None of the Pentecostal Churches, referred to either as denominations or fellowships which began 100 years ago, are a split from any particular denomination, not the RCC nor any Protestant Church.

The United Pentecostal Church, an non-trinitarian doctrine denomination, does have in its history people who split from the Assemblies of God Fellowship which is Trinitarian in doctrine.

This year is the 100th anniversary of the Azusa Street revivals which took place in Los Angeles.
You can read some about it here at this link. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week935/cover.html
The offical website is here: http://www.azusastreet100.net/

The General Council of the Assemblies of God (AG) which has the Azusa Street meetings in its history can be found here. http://ag.org/top/

Annie Proulx does not have Jack Twist even discuss "The Pentecost" in her original story. Unlike what is said in the movie, and using my own experiences here and if he were an actual person, Jack Twist more than likely told Ennis Del Mar what the Pentecost was if his mother was actually Pentecostal, even if his father did not attend church regularly.

Since the movie's Ennis Del Mar stated that his "folks were Methodist," I believe that Ennis might have known a little bit about what "the Pentecost" meant, too; because the Methodists, like most Protestant denominations, have a "Pentecost Sunday" every year.

In the book, what is in the following quote is the only thing connected with any kind of religious belief.

I know that I made this a little long here. Although I am Pentecostal by experience and my basic doctrinal beliefs are very much like the Assemblies of God's "16 Fundamental Truths," and I grew up attending regular church services and special services, I prefer to say that "I was raised AT home and not in a church." The only people that I have known who were raised in a church were those who actually lived in one while growing up. My Parents were Pentecostal by experience, too. But, they did not demand that their children believe just like them. They taught us to make our own choices and believe according to what we felt the Holy Spirit wanted us to believe.

TJ

I have copied what I posted in another location and I am pasting it here because it is related to this discussion.
----------------------
I watch the PBS-TV program "Religion & Ethics" on a local station and I get weekly email updates before the program is aired. In Oklahoma, they don't show it until Sunday Afternoon.

This year is the 100th Anniversary of a special event that took place on Azusa Street in Los Angeles 100 years ago.

COVER STORY:
Pentecostal 100th Anniversary

April 28, 2006   Episode no. 935

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week935/cover.html

BOB ABERNETHY, anchor: Tens of thousands of Christians from around the world have flooded into Los Angeles to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Azusa Street revivals, a series of prayer meetings that helped launch the modern Pentecostal movement. The week-long celebrations include numerous high-profile Pentecostal speakers and lots of praise and worship. Many participants are also touring the places where the revival began in April 1906.

Today, it's estimated that nearly one quarter of all the Christians in the world are part of the Pentecostal movement, which emphasizes the power of the Holy Spirit. Kim Lawton has our special report on how far Pentecostals have come in just 100 years.

KIM LAWTON: They were once ridiculed as fanatical holy rollers, but their exuberant style of worship appears to have caught on.

Bishop T. D. JAKES (Preaching): Your God is not passive. Your God is not indifferent. And your God is not weak.

LAWTON: Pentecostals are by far the fastest-growing group in Christianity, with multi-megachurches and leaders who are best-selling authors.

JOEL OSTEEN (Preaching): Today I will be taught the word of God.

LAWTON: There may be as many as a half billion Pentecostals around the world, with more joining every day, and the movement is only a century old.

Dr. HARVEY COX Jr. (Professor, Harvard Divinity School): That is phenomenal growth. That's astonishing. In fact, there's very little precedent in all of Christian history for a movement which has grown as rapidly as they have and spread around the world as rapidly.

Bishop KEITH BUTLER (Pastor, Word of Faith Christian Center, Detroit): And those people who were once called holy rollers and other names not so charitable today are mainstream.

LAWTON: The modern movement exploded after a mass revival on Azusa Street in Los Angeles. Gary McGee is professor of Pentecostal studies at the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary in Springfield, Missouri, where a museum at the denominational headquarters documents the history.

Dr. GARY MCGEE (Professor of Church History and Pentecostal Studies, Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, Springfield, MO): The Azusa Street revival, with the pictures that you see here, has a special place in the collective memory of world Pentecostalism.

LAWTON: The revival grew out of the Holiness tradition, a 19th-century Protestant movement that stressed the need for personal conversion and a holy lifestyle. Around the turn of the century, some Holiness leaders began teaching that Christians could be baptized in the Holy Spirit. In April 1906, William Seymour, a black Holiness preacher and the son of former slaves, brought this message to Los Angeles. He held prayer meetings in a small house on Bonnie Brae Street, where people began what they called speaking in tongues, a sign, they believed, of being touched by the Holy Spirit. When they outgrew that space, Seymour began holding daily meetings in an abandoned stable turned church on Azusa Street.

Dr. COX: There were men and women, black and white. In fact, someone has once said that Azusa Street in 1906 may have been the most integrated location in the United States.

LAWTON: Word of the revival spread, and people came from around the world to be part of it. Local newspapers reported that a "weird Babel of tongues" was breaking loose. The meetings continued for three years.

Participants saw the revival as a rediscovery of the practices described in the New Testament, beginning on the day of Pentecost 50 days after Easter, when the Book of Acts says the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus' followers with tongues of fire. They also saw it as a fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies, which say in the end times God will pour out his Spirit on both men and women.

Dr. MCGEE: The heart of Azusa was about evangelizing the world in the last days before Christ came and the sense at the turn of the 20th century that time was running out. So the Spirit was empowering people to go overseas and preach the gospel.

LAWTON: That evangelistic urgency took the message in numerous directions, building a highly varied movement that includes organized Pentecostal denominations and independent Pentecostal churches small and huge. Pentecostal-style worship has also permeated mainline Protestant and Catholic churches in what is called the Charismatic renewal movement. There are now between 10 and 20 million Pentecostals and Charismatics in this country.

According to the 2006 YEARBOOK OF AMERICAN CHURCHES, two Pentecostal denominations are among the 10 largest church bodies in the U.S.: the predominantly African-American Church of God in Christ, with five and a half million members, and the Assemblies of God, with nearly three million. The YEARBOOK says the Assemblies of God is the fastest-growing denomination in the country.

Experts say in all there are between 400 and 600 million Pentecostals and Charismatics in diverse congregations around the globe. Most are considered part of the broad category of "evangelical." But Pentecostals emphasize the individual experience of the Holy Spirit manifested in "gifts" such as speaking in tongues, healing the sick, casting out demons, and prophesying, and an enthusiastic style of praise and singing that is being adopted even in non-Pentecostal churches.

Harvey Cox says the movement has great grassroots appeal.

Dr. COX: If you can stand up as you can in a Pentecostal church and pray even though you're an uneducated person -- you can pray, you can even pray what they call "tongues," which is the prayer of the heart -- it equalizes people. It declericalizes the movement. Anybody can come in and do this.

LAWTON: Although racial and gender divisions still exist, experts say Pentecostals and Charismatics have given power to people often marginalized by other churches, such as immigrants and women. The draw is a personal connection to God.

PAULA WHITE (Preaching): I don't know who's been left outside, but God is getting ready to come after you. You've had disappointment, you've had unmet expectations, but I came to tell you it's over. God is getting ready to come visit you right now.

Dr. COX: You don't have to study a catechism, you don't have to know any dogmatic teachings. You go in there, you sing, you pray, and you have this experience, and that appeals a lot to 20th-century -- 21st-century people. It's the experiential element of many religions now that seems to be the one that's most attractive.

STEVE STRANG (Founder, Strang Communications): When you go to church it's fun because you clap your hands and you sing happy songs and you raise your hands and you worship, and if there's a special touch of the Lord, tears might fall down your cheek or you embrace other people. I mean, this is all a part of the worship.

(To Ms. Lawton): My grandmother was ordained in the Assemblies of God in 1914, the year it was founded.

LAWTON: Steve Strang is a fourth-generation Pentecostal whose ancestors helped spread the movement. He founded what has become a $40 million company that publishes books and magazines aimed at the Pentecostal/Charismatic market. The growth of his company illustrates the growth of the movement itself. They used to sell mainly to churches and Christian bookstores. Today, the number one customer is Wal-Mart, and they have a distribution deal with Penguin, one of the largest secular publishers in the world.

Mr. STRANG: I've lived more than half of the Pentecostal movement, and in my lifetime I've seen enormous changes, because in the early days Pentecostals were very much considered "across the tracks."

LAWTON: Now, Pentecostals like Strang have wide social and political influence.

Mr. STRANG: For many years and many generations, Pentecostals absolutely felt like they were looked down on. That has changed. Undoubtedly, it still happens in lots of circles, but I think a lot of Pentecostals don't care. You know, they just -- they're so big and they are growing, and things are exciting, that I don't think they worry too much about approval, maybe, like they used to.

LAWTON: Lee Grady edits Strang's flagship magazine, CHARISMA, which covers the Pentecostal/Charismatic world.

J. LEE GRADY (Editor, CHARISMA Magazine): The gospel does empower people, and when they get a hold of what that means, in a sense they are empowered themselves. They move up in society. And they also have a vision for transforming society. And I think a lot of Pentecostals today realize that you can't transform society just from the bottom. You've got to go all the way up through the strata of society. So that is happening.

Bishop BUTLER: I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord ...

LAWTON: That's Keith Butler's vision. He pastors the 22,000-member Word of Faith Christian Center in suburban Detroit. He's also running in the Michigan Republican primary for the U.S. Senate.

Bishop BUTLER: What we believe, and the Scripture teaches anyway, what Jesus told us was to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world -- not just being inside the four walls. You should have an impact wherever you go throughout the entire world. And what I believe my calling in life is is to have an impact everywhere.

LAWTON: Butler says he's amazed at how far the Pentecostal movement has come since the days at Azusa Street.

Bishop BUTLER: So many people initially were folks that would be classified at the bottom of the economic ladder. Today, the Pentecostal movement is comprised of people at the highest echelons of government, education, science, you name it.

LAWTON: Still, growth and mainstreaming can bring new difficulties. Grady says some of the movement's strengths are also its weaknesses.

Mr. GRADY: We talk about what Jesus does for us, we talk about how he can bless us, but that message can sometimes be perverted to become a very selfish message. And so then you have lots of people running after the blessing rather than recognizing that the reason we get a blessing is so that we can be a blessing to other people.

LAWTON: Harvey Cox says in particular there is great controversy around the teaching of a prosperity gospel that says God will give health and wealth to the faithful.

Dr. COX: Without hierarchy and without any kind of overall body of consensus, some Pentecostal churches and branches can veer off into what I and many Pentecostals would consider to be really quite suspect directions.

LAWTON: This 100th anniversary is providing new opportunities for Pentecostals to assess where they may be headed.

(To Bishop Butler): What do you see as the biggest challenges that face the Pentecostal/ Charismatic movement in the next 100 years?

Bishop BUTLER: Watering themselves down and becoming too mainstream.

Mr. GRADY: Really, the Charismatic/Pentecostal movement has got to rise up and make a decision that, just as it was in Azusa 100 years ago, it was very much a counterculture movement. We've got to do that in the days ahead, and in a sense we've got to become again a revival movement.

LAWTON: To lose that grasp of the past, many Pentecostals say, could threaten the ultimate success of their movement.

I'm Kim Lawton reporting.

TJ

Here is another link related to the Azusa Revival beginnings: http://www.azusastreet.org/

Some people have found it interesting that the Assemblies of God denomination existed for more that 50 years before it had very many Black Ministers in the USA.

In the early 1970s, before I went to Oral Roberts University to do graduate theology study, I worked with Tulsa's Carbondale Assembly of God's Bus Ministry as a Bus Captain. I had three teenagers working with my team and one cold day, when it was around 0 degrees, they were willing to go knock on doors.

Our bus went to two Tulsa Housing Authority housing complexes. One of them was in a historically black neighborhood which was not actually a big one.

Some of the older women of Carbondale wondered why those black children came to their church. Mom had heard one of them ask another, "Don't they have churches in the neighborhood to attend?"

Those children went to school with their own children and grandchildren.

I did not go to get children just to be counted to ride the bus; I also visited with their parents each Saturday when we went to look for new riders and to remind the regulars to be ready for Sunday School when we came by the next day. We did pick up adults, too.

TJ

I did change my mind about continuing posting in the BetterMost Forums message boards.

Since I have mentioned attending Oral Roberts University (ORU), it was to work on a Master of Arts in Theological and Historical Studies degree. I did not finish the degree and had to drop out because of having the flu affected my GPA and I would have had to switch to another degree program to stay (it allowed for a lower GPA). Oh, GPA refers to grade point average.

But, the main reason I wanted to add a note here is that there used to be a unofficial GLBT Alumni Association with members who had either been graduated from ORU, were former students and/or were former employees of ORU or ministries connected with the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association (they've changed the name of the latter in recent times).

The group, although not recognized by ORU was a non-profit organization even registered with the IRS. It was called ORU-OUT, Inc. Jeff, the founder of the group and the only President, had not only been an alumni of ORU he had worked for the university itself for a while and his late father was on the faculty. Jeff had moved to Texas when he started the group.

Quite a few of the members on the email list, one had to sort of be out of the closet to be a member, went to ORU in the 1970s when I went there and we knew each other. Even one of my former room mates joined the group sometime after I did.

In 2001, we had a float in the Tulsa Oklahomans for Human Rights (TOHR) Diversity Pride Festival Parade. Our float won the Grand Marshal's Trophy.

But, a couple of years after that, for some unknown reason, the group just seemed to have disappeared. No one who was on a e-mailing address list I had even knew why that happened.

More about this later  . . . and something else about gays and the Oral Roberts family, too.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Pentacost Sunday, I'm reviving this old thread that I found on page 18 of the Open Forum! Today, the Pentacost story was retold: how, 50 days after the resurrection, the apostles were just hanging out when suddenly the Holy Spirit descended on them, in tongues of fire, and they were able to speak in other languages. They rushed out and began talking to the people of the town, who came from many places far and wide, but these foreigners were able to understand them, and they listened and believed! So must we learn to speak other languages, so that we can tell about the open space between what we know and we believe!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:51:32 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 07:29:15 am »

For a quick overview, here's an article by the BBC to give you an idea what the Pentecost is:

Pentecost

What is Pentecost?
Pentecost is regarded as the birthday of the Christian church © Pentecost is the festival when Christians celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is celebrated on the Sunday 50 days after Easter (the name comes from the Greek pentekoste, "fiftieth").

It is also called Whitsun, but does not necessarily coincide with the Whitsun Bank Holiday in the UK.

Pentecost is regarded as the birthday of the Christian church, and the start of the church's mission to the world.

The Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is the third part of the Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit that is the way Christians understand God.

Celebrating Pentecost
Pentecost is a happy festival. Ministers in church often wear robes with red in the design as a symbol of the flames in which the Holy Spirit came to earth.
[...]

Pentecost Symbols
The symbols of Pentecost are those of the Holy Spirit and include flames, wind, the breath of God and a dove.

The first Pentecost
Pentecost comes from a Jewish harvest festival called Shavuot.

The apostles were celebrating this festival when the Holy Spirit descended on them.

It sounded like a very strong wind, and it looked like tongues of fire.

The apostles then found themselves speaking in foreign languages, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

People passing by at first thought that they must be drunk, but the apostle Peter told the crowd that the apostles were full of the Holy Spirit.

Pentecostal Christianity
Pentecost is a special day for any Christian, but it is emphasised particularly by Pentecostal churches. Pentecostal Christians believe in the direct experience of the Holy Spirit by believers during all of their services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/holydays/pentecost.shtml

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Thank you for this, Chrissi! Now I'm looking forward to celebrating the Pentacost! I had originally thought it had something to do with being pentinent!!  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 08:06:25 am »
Pentecost Symbols
The symbols of Pentecost are those of the Holy Spirit and include flames, wind, the breath of God and a dove.

I just realize how well the symbols of the Pentecost fit with symbols of our movie, like Jack and the wind, or Jack as a winged animal (not necessarily a dove though). And he was a breath of god fresh air in Ennis' life for sure! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Definitely, Chrissi! Jack and breathing are closely associated. He played the harmonica, which works by breath passing over tubes, he might have been killed by an exploding tire (filled with air) knocking the breath out of him, his uncle had pneumonia, a disease of the lungs, and he breathed hard sometimes, like when Ennis was introducing him to Alma.

Also, he was almost struck by lightning, which got 42 sheep, and he was born in Lightning Flat, so he is also associated with fire.

Sometimes theologians think the Holy Spirit represents Mother Nature or is a remnant of the old goddess that predates Christianity. It's the most mystical part of Christianity, for sure.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Now I'm all ready for church and I'm wearing lots of red!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I have heard too, that the original Pentecost was interpreted as the spirit comforting the disciples, which in a way, is what Mrs. Twist did when Ennis came to visit them. She demonstrated it through her actions.

Also, have you read the thread "Errie Event #2"?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."