Author Topic: For BetterMost Forum Members - the Believers who are called "Christian"  (Read 7221 times)

TJ

I created this new poll just to see which forum members might be anything like what Jack Twist's mother believed.

It is a non-scientific poll, aka "straw poll," just to see what people are willing to admit. I was raised by parents who were Pentecostal by experience, that is they received the dynamic Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in an unlearned language after they had accepted Jesus as their personal savior. When one becomes "Born From Above," the actual words Jesus used in the Greek text (not "born-again'), the Holy Spirit dwells inside the person. But, that is not the same thing as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. When the 120 Disciples were baptized with the dynamic power of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, they were already saved, aka Born From Above."

My mother in her early teens received the HS Baptism in an independent Trinitarian doctrine Pentecostal church in a small community between Claremore and Tulsa, Oklahoma (Tulsa is SW of Claremore). But, most of her relatives on her father's side of the family attended an independent Oneness, aka Jesus Name Only, doctrinal church in the community of Tiawah, southeast of Claremore in Rogers County.

My father did not get saved until he was in his later 20s and he happened to be living on a farm near Tiawah with his parents. He accepted salvation in the little church in Tiawah and on the very same night before he got up from the altar bench, he was also baptized with the Holy Spirit. Mom had aunts and uncles (half-siblings to her father) near her age and Dad's age. Dad had become friends with the uncles and that is how he ended up at the church in Tiawah.

TJ

For a discussion some what related to this poll and discussion of what Jack's mother believed (or might have believed) in the story and the movie, go to: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1162.0

The name of the discussion topic there is "Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost - POV from a real Pentecostal."

vkm91941

I personally am an anglo-catholic Episcopalian.  My maternal Grandfather was a Pentecostal Preacher like the Assemblies of God.  He preached in North Carolina and in Norfolk Virginia.   He was a very tolerant man with a heart as big as all out doors and it is he who taught me that GOD is all about LOVE and that even GOD does not presume to judge us until our last day therefore we have no business judging those around us.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I personally am an anglo-catholic Episcopalian.  My maternal Grandfather was a Pentecostal Preacher like the Assemblies of God.  He preached in North Carolina and in Norfolk Virginia.   He was a very tolerant man with a heart as big as all out doors and it is he who taught me that GOD is all about LOVE and that even GOD does not presume to judge us until our last day therefore we have no business judging those around us.

Sounds like your grandfather really understood the message of Jesus Christ. The world--and the U.S.--could use a lot more people like your grandfather.

(Baptized, raised, and confirmed Lutheran in the old LCA here, currently worshipping as a moderate [not Anglo-Catholic] Episcopalian)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

dmmb_Mandy

TJ: You should have a "none of the above" option!

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Sorry. I voted in order to see the outcome, thinking I could remove my vote afterwards. Please lower the total for the last option by one. I wonder how exclusive those categories are. I'm sure they're not exhaustive.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Yes, too bad, you can't view the results without voting. I think TJ - you created this poll - may be able to change it, so that non-voters can see the results.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The only way that I can change the poll is to switch to my phony "TJ" alias. That means I would have to sign out of the forum and sign back in.

I decided not to hide behind a made up name or ID because of the importance of who the book, the screenplay and the movie as it is related things in my own life, to the lives of people whom I know/have-known and love/have-loved and to the issue of politics and religion in the local, state, and national governments of the USA. 

Joe, sorry! I didn't realise that you had changed your alias. It's alright, I guess. But maybe someone who votes can post the results.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Either Phillip, the Adminstrator, or a forum moderator can close or modify this poll. I sent Phillip a PM about closing this poll.

Added note on Saturday, May 20, 2006: I attempted to use the "TJ" alias here and it would not work. I have no control what I created as "TJ" now.

I will try to create a new generic type poll for "The Believers who are Called 'Christian'." And, the wording of that will be more inclusive.

If you want to resume using that alias, PM me and I'll see if I can't edit your account.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

vkm91941