Author Topic: the reunion scene when alma catches a glimpse  (Read 6955 times)

Offline chris_chicago

• Don't Say Much
the reunion scene when alma catches a glimpse
« on: May 04, 2006, 04:13:04 pm »
the explosiveness of ennis' passion made this a great scene, and the way he was looking around nervously was wonderfully acted.....even as he was all over jack I felt the tension of ennis trying to restrain himself..and what was jack thinking?....he had to be thrilled at this unexpected welcome after 4 years...This scene makes my heart hurt for jack however, because even with this wild show of affection, it wouldn't continue the way jack would think it would.....it is like ennis gave jack a lot of hope, only to come crashing down just a few hours later when they were having a conversation in the motel....All I know is, had that happened to me, I would be devastated
(<>..<>)

TJ

Re: the reunion scene when alma catches a glimpse
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:51:46 pm »
In the original short story, Alma for a few seconds only catches a glimpse of Ennis's straining shoulders through the slightly open apartment door. That's because Jack joins Ennis on the upstairs landing in front of the apartment door. There was no mention of a storm door with glass in the book. I think that she might have noticed a hug; but, a kiss? I think not.

The passion in the movie does fit that of the original story; but, in the way that the story was written, it was dark outside due to the late afternoon storm and a narrow light shown from behind the door when Alma opened it the 2nd time.

And, in the book, Jack's buckteeth made Ennis's lip bleed because they tried kiss so hard.

Offline korgriff

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:19:35 pm »
 :P Oh my goodness!  I LOVE this scene it's one of my favorites!!!  I LOVE the look on Jack's face when Ennis shoves him up against the wall and plants one on him.  You can tell what he's thinking "did that just happen?"  then he goes after Ennis.  Ohhhhhh such passion!!  Jack doesnt want to stop but Ennis pulls away but I think that the forehead rub was a piece of art because it lets you and Jack know that he doesnt want to stop but he feels he has to before anyone sees them.
"....you got a better idea?" Ennis Del Mar
"I did once." Jack Twist

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 02:50:10 am »
I once loved a man who was like Ennis in that he couldn't express feelings openly for me very well.  He never said, "I love you."  Even when I said it, he'd couldn't.  I wondered for a while about this.  I questioned him and he'd always say something like, "You know there's no one else. I'm with you and only you." but never, "Yes, I love you too."   

In public he was cautious, but he showed his love like this:  we'd be walking in a rose garden or hiking a spring meadow with no one around when, overwhelmed by a moment of beauty, he'd grab me and kissed me so hard I thought I'd pass out!  In the coastal mountains of California, at Salmon Creek, a hidden place of waterfalls and wildflowers, after a day of swimming, he dragged me into the shade of ferns to do way more than kiss.  There are many such moments and times now etched in memory.  While together, I learned to appreciate him.  I never knew when he'd surprise me.  I was never unhappy about that.   

Some men are just better at physical not verbal expressions of love.  When they do express their feelings, there's little doubt what they feel. 
Ennis was like that and that's why Jack loved him and kept coming back.

Peace,
Rayn
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:54:49 am by Rayn »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 05:26:38 pm »
Thanks Rayn for that. So many viewers interpret Ennis's reservation to mean he doesn't express his feelings for Jack. I believe he both knows and expresses those feelings, and I believe Jack knows totally well how Ennis feels about him.

O0

Heathen

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 06:08:38 pm »
In the original short story, Alma for a few seconds only catches a glimpse of Ennis's straining shoulders through the slightly open apartment door. That's because Jack joins Ennis on the upstairs landing in front of the apartment door. There was no mention of a storm door with glass in the book. I think that she might have noticed a hug; but, a kiss? I think not.

The passion in the movie does fit that of the original story; but, in the way that the story was written, it was dark outside due to the late afternoon storm and a narrow light shown from behind the door when Alma opened it the 2nd time.

And, in the book, Jack's buckteeth made Ennis's lip bleed because they tried kiss so hard.

Why is everyone always so quick to point out the slight differences between the book and the movie? I like the way the scene was filmed in the movie myself; it's a lot more realistic than Alma drawing a conclusion from merely seeing Ennis' shoulders.

I admit I would have liked to see Ennis' lips bleed in the film but the film is just as good without it...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 06:15:03 pm »
Thanks Rayn for that. So many viewers interpret Ennis's reservation to mean he doesn't express his feelings for Jack. I believe he both knows and expresses those feelings, and I believe Jack knows totally well how Ennis feels about him.

O0

I agree with both RouxB and Rayn, and that is why this is my favorite scene -- actually, everything between this and the "sending up a prayer of thanks" scene. That stretch shows Ennis at his most expressive. I never thought of it as setting Jack up for crushing disappointment, but I guess you're right, it does.

TJ

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 08:21:23 pm »
Why is everyone always so quick to point out the slight differences between the book and the movie? I like the way the scene was filmed in the movie myself; it's a lot more realistic than Alma drawing a conclusion from merely seeing Ennis' shoulders.

I admit I would have liked to see Ennis' lips bleed in the film but the film is just as good without it...

But, I ask why some people in various internet forum boards, not just this one, dislike the movie so much that they would prefer not to know that Annie Proulx wrote the original short story. She never expected anyone to want to write a screenplay adaptation of it.

Some of the differences between the movie are not merely slight subtle differences, they are major differences. As to whether Jack would/should have made Ennis's lip bleed in the movie, they had the wrong actor or the wrong teeth for Jake in the movie.

A number of Movie-Only fans hate the moustache that Jack is wearing later in the movie; but, after Jack got his teeth capped, he grew a 'stache to make his upper lip look better in his own mind, anyway.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 07:23:11 pm »
But, I ask why some people in various internet forum boards, not just this one, dislike the movie so much that they would prefer not to know that Annie Proulx wrote the original short story. She never expected anyone to want to write a screenplay adaptation of it.

See, their logic doesn't make sense to me either. (You're talking about forums like IMDB right?)

What did you think was a major change in the movie? The only changes, off the top of my head, were how we never saw Jack telling Ennis of how Jack's dad used to beat him (or the flashback to that). (I admit, I kind of wish that was in the movie.) The motel scene was longer in the book but the movie showed the rest of that conversation up on Brokeback.

In the book they never went back to Brokeback; in the movie, they did. (See, I think that works really well both ways for different, symbolic reasons.) And Ennis in the book was more expressive than Ennis in the movie.

And some of those beautiful, touching endearments in the book like "little darlin'" were scrapped. Malheureusement...

I guess I don't consider them to be major changes because I recall details from Harry Potter books being altered or how A Little Princess has a completely different resolution in the book, apparently (that Alfonso Cuaron!), and Valentine, the crappy movie, was changed a lot from it's original source, which is pretty decent so far (I'm almost done).

P.S. The moustache has grown on me. I think it works to the filmmakers' advantage in aging Jack.

I was actually, when reading the book, blown away at how faithful the film was to it's source. 
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

TJ

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 08:10:00 pm »
You're talking about forums like IMDB right?

No, I have never spent enough time on the IMDb board to remember much of anything. I have belonged to something like 3 other BbM Forum boards. One of them was run by a guy in an Eastern European country which had been in the former Soviet Union.

What did you think was a major change in the movie? The only changes, off the top of my head, were how we never saw Jack telling Ennis of how Jack's dad used to beat him (or the flashback to that). (I admit, I kind of wish that was in the movie.) The motel scene was longer in the book but the movie showed the rest of that conversation up on Brokeback.

The rest of the book's motel conversation was up on some other movie mountain. Ennis and Jack never went back to Brokeback Mountain after they left it in August 1963. From the way that I figured out the distance from Dubois to Riverton with Signal to the West of that, It would have taken them more than two hours to go back to Brokeback. Brokeback Mountain which was north of Signal and not in the same county, Fremont, as Dubois and Riverton.

In the book, when Jack and Ennis were together in 1983, Ennis was working at the Stoutamire Ranch "at" Signal. In the movie, when Ennis got the returned "November meeting postcard," he picked it up at the Riverton Post Office.

When Ennis put the postcard on the interior wall of the trailer and the shirts under it, his trailer was on the Stoutamire ranch.

I have not read one Harry Potter book or seen one HP movie. So, I cannot discuss the comparison.

But, I  see a whole lot of stuff in the movie that is not even in the book. Such as "Jack never worked for a guy named 'L. D. Newsome'." Jack did not have a brand new pickup in 1967. Jack never worked for the farm and equipment company until AFTER Alma divorced Ennis. Lureen's father was dead when Jack began working there.