Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3771807 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5820 on: July 11, 2008, 10:10:01 pm »
E's special on Heath was so different from their normal sensational stuff. I actualy didn't  cringe, in fact, at the end when Verne Troy said his piece I was in tears.
It was also sad to hear one of those interviewed saying, he was only just comming to his peak.
What a lot we are going to miss.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5821 on: July 11, 2008, 10:32:16 pm »
I agree that the THS was pretty well done compared to some of the E! network's productions.  I liked that they focused a lot on his work and yes, definitely that they included so many of Heath's own interviews. 

As far as their treatment of BBM, I loved that they included the one little clip of Annie Proulx talking about Heath.  I thought that was wonderful.  I also thought it was wonderful that they included almost all the intimate clips between Ennis and Jack (the reunion kiss, the motel and even a bit of TS2... the main affectionate moment not featured was the dozy embrace, and neither was TS1).  Essentially, I like that they didn't shy away from that.  The way they dealt with the Oscars just made me furious at the Oscars all over again (as is my usual emotion regarding the Oscars... probably more or less permanently at this point).

Anyway, it really is just all so sad. It made me realize how raw a lot of the emotions about this tragedy still are for me.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5822 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:59 am »
I thought it was pretty good, too.  I appreciated that they didn't mention any partying or drinking that he might have done during his Hollywood years.  I was a little surprised they made no mention of "Casanova" or the Dylan movie.

The people they interviewed were very good--articulate, personal, and clearly cared for Heath.  I especially liked his friend Melissa from "Sweat" and dear Verne Troyer, speaking with tears running down his face.

The worst part wasn't seeing the awful gurney shot again (though it was there only twice, at the beginning and in the end sequence); it was those God-cursed pop-up ads intruding on the program.  Whoever thought those up needs to be put in solitary and forced to watch them 24/7.  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5823 on: July 12, 2008, 12:33:16 am »
I'm so happy to hear this!  I very much look forward to seeing it.  I've got it TiVoed.  Happy page 600!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5824 on: July 12, 2008, 04:27:47 am »
After reading your comments about the E! special on Heath, I am actually envious I can't see it. Who would have thought.....
But there's always the hope for youtube. After all, almost all the stuff I've ever seen about BBM, interviews, etc. were on youtube. I'll check it later today.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5825 on: July 12, 2008, 04:32:30 am »
Have a nice weekend Heathens :)

Starting the day with the rest of the picture series from yesterday. I like the first pic best.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5826 on: July 12, 2008, 05:28:32 am »
After reading your comments about the E! special on Heath, I am actually envious I can't see it. Who would have thought.....
But there's always the hope for youtube. After all, almost all the stuff I've ever seen about BBM, interviews, etc. were on youtube. I'll check it later today.

And if you happen to find it, you'll let us know it's out there?  ;)

I'm so glad to hear it was done respectfully and that you guys found it worthwhile.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5827 on: July 12, 2008, 05:34:13 am »
And if you happen to find it, you'll let us know it's out there?  ;)

Of course I will! :)
But it doesn't look good. I did just a quick search on youtube (under "E! special Heath Ledger") and got flooded with thousands of results  :-\
I'll try to think of a more intelligent way to search later.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5828 on: July 12, 2008, 07:06:46 am »
I watched the E! show too--unusual for me since I never watch TV! As Meryl noted, they skipped all the movies between BBM and Imaginarium: no mention at all of Casanova, Candy, I'm Not There or The Dark Knight.

I don't think The Four Feathers got mentioned, either. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Overall, I felt like it had alot of young Heath, which I enjoyed. Lots of pictures and interviews I hadn't seen before. For this sort of show, it wasn't bad at all.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline carolina

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • it could be like this. just like this. always.
« Reply #5829 on: July 12, 2008, 09:27:19 am »
I'm happy (and frankly, surprised) to hear that the E! story was respectful.  I've seen a couple, and they were awful.  I need to check that out now, thanks for testing the waters, everyone.  I watched "I'm Not There" again last night, and wow, if anyone hasn't seen it, you really should.  I was expecting Heath's role to be purely an ensemble bit, you know, good, but just a little part of the whole.  Needless to say, it's much more than that, and like everything, he took it and made it huge.  I was inspired, so I thought I'd share a couuuple... Can I just add how adorable I find him in those huge glasses.