Author Topic: Opera/Musical/Ballet  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Opera/Musical/Ballet
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:52:01 am »
How about we all get together for a chat? Let's talk about the realities of an opera, musical, or ballet based on our favorite film and what their repercussions might be. Is this another step for global evolution or the deconstruction of a classic. All welcome. Saturday, May 6, 7:00 PM (CST), 8:00 (EST), 6:00 (MST), 5:00 (PTS). The chat should go on for a few hours, so don't worry about being late. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:23:34 pm by Phillip »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Opera/Musical/Ballet
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:44:01 am »
How about we all get together for a chat? Let's talk about the realities of an opera, musical, or ballet based on our favorite film and what their repercussions might be. Is this another step for global evolution or the deconstruction of a classic. All welcome. Saturday, May 6, 7:00 PM (CST), 8:00 (EST), 6:00 (MST), 5:00 (PTS). The chat should go on for a few hours, so don't worry about being late. 

Lovely idea for a chat, Daniel! Unfortunately I won't be available to join in, as I have a dinner date Saturday evening. But I'll put my two cents in for a ballet. Something stylized might work best, rather than try to do the entire story in an evening-length piece (though I'd bet Christopher Wheeldon [choreographer] could probably pull that off). The final solo has to be Ennis with the shirts.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 12:37:44 pm »
speaking of musicals, a friend got me tickets, last friday to see The Black Rider at the Ahmanson, and guess who was in the audience too? Jake with his sister Maggie and his mom. James Franko was there too, but sadly for him, when Jake's in the house, no one else can compete, except maybe Heath.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »
I remember a delightful post on the BBM board on IMDb some while back, where the OP proposed a 'Brokeback' opera, and listed the voice types for each character (Jack would be a tenor, for example). I've not been able to find that thread again, and it may well no longer exist. But my choice would definitely be for an opera.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:22:27 pm by moremojo »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:07:38 pm »
I remember a delightful post on the BBM board on IMDb some while back, where the OP proposed a 'Brokeback' opera, and listed the voice types for each character (Jack would be a tenor, for example). I've not been able to find that thread again, and it may well no longer exist. But my choice would definitely be for an opera.

Scott M.

Scott,
Maybe our preferences are based on our already established preferences in art forms. I'm a big fan of ballet, so my choice would be ballet. I'd love to see one of today's stop stars, say, Ethan Steifel from ABT, in a solo as "Ennis." Heartbreaking, I'm sure!

I remember that thread from IMDb. Probably a victim of the Great Troll Uprising. Too bad.

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:38:22 pm »
Scott,
Maybe our preferences are based on our already established preferences in art forms.
Hi, Jeff--

I certainly am a bit more knowledgeable on opera than ballet (which isn't actually saying much, as I still have so much to learn on both forms). But I can't resist the idea of a grunting and hmmm-ing Ennis being set to music! Furthermore, since Claude Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande is my favorite opera, I'm a sucker for operas with sheep in them, and Brokeback would be a prime candidate (assuming, that is, that they don't omit the sheep scenes, like is so often done with Yniold's sheep scene in live stagings of Pelleas >:().

Scott

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:12:16 pm »
I can't resist the idea of a grunting and hmmm-ing Ennis being set to music! Furthermore, since Claude Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande is my favorite opera, I'm a sucker for operas with sheep in them, and Brokeback would be a prime candidate (assuming, that is, that they don't omit the sheep scenes, like is so often done with Yniold's sheep scene in live stagings of Pelleas >:().

I understand, Scott! Just as I could weep just imagining a ballet solo for "Ennis" and the shirts--maybe ending crumpled up on his knees on the stage, clutching the shirts like Ennis in the closet in Jack's room.   :'(

Jeff