Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375615 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 08:52:55 am »
Heres  a link to another story I,ve read.

LINK
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:57:46 am by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 08:57:33 am »
Heres  a link to another story I,ve read.

LINK

The title of the story is "Nothing But Time."

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2007, 03:37:54 pm »
Heres another story I,ve read. It,s in 3 parts and it,s about the time Jack and Ennis had some time in Don Roes, cabin. It,s called Cabin Fever.

http://pairofdeuces.livejournal.com/1806.html      Chapter One

http://pairofdeuces.livejournal.com/4195.html      Chapter Two

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/599529.html?view=7827945#t7827945    Chapter Three.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 05:52:27 am »
Here is another story I found today. It,s called; "Life aint easy"

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/414729.html

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 07:24:06 pm »
Hi everybody, I just thought I'd pop in and lend my own view of the AU!AU trend in BBM fanfic.

When I first heard about AU!AU I was dubious.  What's the canon connection?  Why call them Jack and Ennis at all?  I think this is a fairly common reaction to the whole idea.  But then I started reading some of it...I think "Lead Me To Your Door" was the first, and it's a good AU!AU to start with seeing as Jack and Ennis are very closely connected to the canon characters...and I gradually changed my mind.

I think what makes AU!AU interesting and what makes a good AU!AU is the way in which the writer incorporates the canon characterizations, settings, themes and even key pieces of dialogue or significant scenes into their new setting.  And the more new settings I read, the more it altered my thinking.  I started viewing Jack and Ennis not only as characters from the canon, but as archetypes.  These two men started to feel like people who'd existed in all times, all places, and had had this connection with each other no matter where or when they met.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, sometimes they lived happily ever after, sometimes they didn't.  But they are always there, and that lent new resonance to each new AU!AU I read, each new version of Jack and Ennis.

In addition, I've come to think that AU!AUs are essential to the survival of the fandom and the fic-writing community.  Because we have so little canon...a thirty-page story and a two-hour movie...the AU!AUs are, in a way, creating new canon for us.  Each new incarnation of our boys is a new story we can invest in and sustain our interest in the characters and the storyline.  So much has been done within the canon and in AU stories, but there is infinite freedom to explore in an AU!AU.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 07:32:30 pm »

Here here, I agree with what you have said one hundred percent...If there is no AU.AU there will eventually be no further fanfic.  We love the characters, so deeply until we are accepting to them in whatever incarnation they come..

Beautiful mind

Offline ImJackshesEnnis

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2007, 07:30:51 am »
Not that this is a shameless plug for my girl's writing, but is there a thread dedicated to Carol's stories here?  (Is there enough interest for one?)  She's done OWL and Return to Home and is starting up Fire & Ice (four chapters in) and I was just curious as to the level of discussion for her here.

Anyone?

H.

eta:  I've started a new topic discussing Carol's writings
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:36:06 am by ImJackshesEnnis »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2007, 07:35:08 am »
Hi Heidi,

Feel free to start a story thread on any stories that you wish, you dont have to wait for an invite!

Louise
Fan Fic Moderator
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ImJackshesEnnis

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 07:44:03 am »
Thanks Louise!  I did!   ;)

Here it is:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13097.0.html

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2007, 10:06:53 pm »
Howdy, y'all!
I don't know where to pose this question, so I thought I'd start here.  I've been trying to catch up on some WIP's that I had lost track of for some time, and am having trouble finding some that I lost due to broken links, etc.

Does anyone know where I can find access to the story 'That Little Bit of Hope' by Minchout?  I don't know if it was finished or how many chapters there were, but I'd really love to find out how the story turned out.

Thanx for any help.
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"