Author Topic: Heath's best scene -- by jpseacadets  (Read 7161 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Heath's best scene -- by jpseacadets
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:56:30 am »
Heath's best scene.   
  by jpseacadets      (Sat Feb 25 2006 15:34:32 )

UPDATED Sun Apr 16 2006 12:23:31

Different people have their own opinion and after seeing BBM for the
second time, I've decided that Heath comes across best in his quiet
moments in this movie. The walk, the glance, the gestures...they all
conveyed a marvelous presence that fits the stoic and unspoken Ennis
perfectly. The scene that best suits these qualities, I believe, is
right after his first night spent in the tent with Jack. He exits
the tent, climbs upon the stallion, merely glances back at Jack, then
rides off late to tend the sheep. It was at this precise moment where
he started to grow on me. Not a word spoken, not even to answer Jack,
but he takes charge of the movie...and never looks back. You don't know
yet how important this scene is, but we do know he's just lost his
virginity and right afterwards he's riding his stallion under that
foreboding sky and along that perilous ridge. Ang Lee's ominous warning
connected to the night before. Just then Heath tenses, goes from a trot
to a gallop, then his face darkens as he looks and spots the butchered
sheep. Marvelous scene, marvelous way of showing that it's morning out
and yet midnight in the soul. We know from what we hear later what Ennis
must be thinking...but Ledger is so amazing he somehow gives us that
information NOW. It's this dominating quality, effortless and unspoken,
he uses so effectively. He aims for the bull's eye and hits it without
ever saying a word.

It's been years and years since a talent like his came forth. James Dean,
for one. Monty Clift, another. Actors whose quiet, understated qualities
made them great. I don't know where Heath will go with his. Great directors
of the quality of a George Stevens are rare these days. But there's no
denying Heath has them. Ennis Del Mar is proof of this. It's the stuff of
which Oscars are made. This is Shane riding his horse and heading only God
knows where.

Now what is your best Heath scene?

Re: Heath's best scene.   
  by ray-390     (Sat Feb 25 2006 15:44:21 )   

And THOSE tears in the final scene.., MAN!

~ Singles Dances? I thought we were dating! ~

by stardog70     (Sat Feb 25 2006 19:00:28 )

Did anyone notice a flash of tear in Ennis' eye at the end of the divorce scene? I noticed it for the first time after 8 viewings; now I wonder if I imagined it.

by ray-390     (Sat Feb 25 2006 20:03:43 )   

No, they were definitely there. I didn't notice on the first viewing either, but when I did I felt the pain he was going through not being able to belong to one life or t'uther.

~ Singles Dances? I thought we were dating! ~

by latjoremekeed     (Sat Feb 25 2006 20:14:37 )   

Did anyone notice a flash of tear in Ennis' eye at the end of the divorce scene?

Not only can you see a flash of tears, you can see the tears actually FORM, watch his eyes go from dry to teary. No behind-the-scenes administration of glycerin! He is great.

by Trouter2000      (Wed Feb 21 2007 14:46:36 )

And THOSE tears in the final scene.., MAN!

Yeah that final scene really stood with me, I've only seen it once, but it really is touching in a way, and that scene especially sums up the tone of the film.

Lust's passion will be served; it demands, it militates, it tyrannizes.
-De Sade

by BannerHill     (Sat Feb 25 2006 15:44:54 )

<<It's this dominating quality, effortless and unspoken,
he uses so effectively. He aims for the bull's eye and hits it without
ever saying a word>>

Very very well said . That is one great scene. It is followed soon by the great silent scene where he sits staring into the fire, contemplating going into the tent for the second night....

One of my great favorites is very sad. It takes place at Jack's parents' house. So little said, so much conveyed. "I can't tell you how sorry I am about Jack". Well, he can't. But we see.

"I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

Re: The moment stepping out of the truck...   
  by hsuvera     (Sat May 13 2006 06:03:57 )   

This is also me most heart broken scence.

The truck drove through darkness till dawn, the guitar trangs.
When Ennis(Heath) stepping out the the truck put on his coat, walking into his fate.

I just can't believe this is the same boy who played " A Knight's Tale".
Is he a too good actor or the life stucked him to be so over-mature.

by nocompromiseever     (Sat May 13 2006 23:37:43 )   

Yes!my dear.
That's the moment that he, a "no Sinner" boy Ennis, stepped out of the truck to walk into his fate.
From my second view, I couldn't stop crying from this very opening scene.

by ddmaul     (Wed Nov 29 2006 07:36:56 )

UPDATED Wed Nov 29 2006 07:49:19
It's funny how the emotion takes hold with this movie, isn't it? The first time I saw it, not one single tear was shed by me, although I did find it sad. On the second-viewing, I teared-up at the more emotional moments. But the THIRD viewing!! I literally started sobbing -- not tearing up, not crying, but SOBBING -- from the first twang of the guitar chords to the last "git along little dogies" of the end credits. If I were one of those people that's embarrassed by being human in public, I probably would have left the theater! As it was, I just tried to sob as quietly as possible, and let the magic of Proulx, McMurtry, Ossana, Lee, Ledger, Gyllenhaal and all the rest sweep over me.

by adamx013     (Sat Feb 25 2006 15:51:36 )   

Boy, I really loved your essay so much that it is hard to follow. I agree that he was fabulous in that scene. There are so many more that I almost am at a loss to pick one!

I guess the entire kitchen table scene with Jack's parents is right up there. Such a sense of quiet and sheer sadness around him, and way in which Jack's mother comes to his aid because she can see how alone he is.

And the second tent scene - the way in which he approaches Jack and seems to be looking down in shyness but can't keep from continually sneaking peeks back up into Jack's face because Ennis is falling in love with Jack. Ennis' pained expression when he finally lies down next to Jack is amazing and puts so much across! Longing, loneliness, lust, and love!

I also am in awe of some of his more physical scenes though:

He was amazing in the fireworks fight scene, and also in his fight with Jack after the lasso scene, and also in his big blow-up with Alma over the kitchen sink.

It was an AMAZING performance, and it ranks right up there with Brando for me - I am thinking of his work in On The Waterfront.

by BannerHill     (Sat Feb 25 2006 15:55:18 )

And yes, Heath is one great actor, and yes he can be compared to Marlon Brando or James Dean. Hopefully his future will be happier than either of those two.....

"I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by marjorie9      (Sat Feb 25 2006 17:46:25 )   

I also am in awe of some of his more physical scenes though

I agree. In his scenes where he reaches his 'breaking points' if you will, I feel scared even after 7 viewings. When Alma drops the bomb on him after Thanksgiving dinner and when he yells without yelling at Jack about going to Mexico, I get nervous. That feels like good acting to me.

"I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by deedee120     (Sat Feb 25 2006 16:12:20 )

Great Post!! All his work throughout this movie is awesome, as well as Jakes.
But my still favorite scene is when he first goes into the tent and can't look at Jack.. It's a mixture of embarrasment, longing, and fear. My tummy flutters whenever I see that.

by jpseacadets      (Sat Feb 25 2006 16:19:29 )   

UPDATED Tue May 9 2006 02:30:06

Yeah...and he gives us that same look later in the courtroom
during the divorce proceedings. He's adorable! What can we say!

- - SoundTrak

Another pick   
  by balrog_ressurected_again      (Sat Feb 25 2006 17:34:40 )

I really like the last scene with Cassie and the apple pie in the bus station cafe. Both actors here are dynamite. I felt like I got clubbed over the head with this sequence.

Ennis just got finished with the encounter with Jack and now almost a repeat with Cassie. Does he start to realize here that he has an effect, a profound effect, on the people around him?

I always wondered how come you never brought any trouts home...
  by SnickerD      (Wed Aug 23 2006 12:42:30 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
agreed, some great scenes, he and Jake will have a much bigger stars in their future!

When I see Ennis surrender and enter the tent, hat in hand, and kneels to Jack I automatically think of the line from the story,
"The Sheep be Damned"

Gotta Love *Our* Boys!
  by looofah2002     (Sat Feb 25 2006 17:56:29 )   
UPDATED Sat Feb 25 2006 17:57:26
There are so many. The second love scene with Jack is one. He looks so afraid and so vulnerable for the first time and Jake takes him in his arms and holds him and then kisses him. There is so much conflict and longing in Heath's face. It's so tender and moving.

And the final scene of course is unbelievably powerful.

perfect performance. man he deserves that Oscar
  by latjoremekeed     (Sat Feb 25 2006 18:31:08 )   
Too many to list, but I'll say this: when he's on the screen I can't take my eyes off of him.
  by oilgun     (Sat Feb 25 2006 18:46:47 )   
Great post jpseacadets.

Heath reminded me of James Dean and Monty Clift as well. They all seem uncomfortable in their own skin and have this vulnerable quality. They are so emotionally transparent that we always know what they are feeling. And they make us feel it too. River Pheonix was like that and Alain Delon. (and, dare I say it, Eminem?) It's a real gift.

I think Heath was amazing throughout, my favourite scene changes depending on my mood. The Kitchen fight scene with Alma stands out because the look on his face actually scares me. Everytime. His eyes seem to change colour and go white with rage, it's amazing! In the pie and Cassie scene, I mean he's just this guy sitting there, why is watching him so devastating and painful?

He was also amazing in Monster's Ball. His scenes were the most affecting and a lot of people were chewing the scenery in that film.

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence
- C. Hitchens
  by muscla_1     (Sat Feb 25 2006 18:53:29 )   
My favorite was very subtle, and I didn't really catch it until the fourth viewing...his reaction to Jack's father when he tells him that Jack was going to be moving up to Lightning Flat with another man.

Another was (and I'm paraphrasing...sorry) when he tells Jack "things that could get you killed if I come to know them."

And, of course (see my sig line).

I've said it before and I'll say it again...my ten favorite words in the world would be:

"And the Oscar goes to....Heath Ledger, for Brokeback Mountain."

PS: Saw "Hustle and Flow" last night. Terrance Howard is the OTHER Brando of this generation of actors. And let's not to give mad props to Philip Seymour Hoffman. His Capote was jaw-droppingly good (just not QUITE as good as Heath).

"Jack, I swear..."
  by BlmGuy     (Sat Feb 25 2006 19:19:28 )   
This guy played a guy so lost in himeself - don't think he ever even knew he existed until he met Jack. That is why my vote for most moving scene was the first parting. His heart, his entire being, was throwing up.

Second most moving scene - of course the scene when he and Jack's mother met in the eyes and soul with their absolute love for Jack.

Third most moving scene - The end when Ennis will not let external circumstances stand in the way of love anymore - telling his daughter he will be there for her for her wedding, "they can find themselves another cowboy" if they have trouble with him leaving his job. This is what he couldn't say to Jack - that someone else was "all of it".

by Shasta254     (Wed Nov 29 2006 05:02:34 )   
This guy played a guy so lost in himself - don't think he ever even knew he existed until he met Jack.

True---borne out in the line about ".....that's the most I've said in a year." Such a sad and lonely life until he met Jack, then so much heartache for both.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"
  by montferrat     (Sat Feb 25 2006 21:48:54 )   
Like many others,

His reactions in the scene in the Twist's kitchen are remarkable for their understatement. His grief is just so heavy and profound. His ability to convey this is brilliant. His whole performance from the beginning of the movie up to the final scene is just astonishing.

"I'm gonna yell for Mon-ROOOOOE!!!!" ~ Alma Del Mar Sr.
  by montferrat     (Sun Feb 26 2006 14:42:10 )   
bump

"I'm gonna yell for Mon-ROOOOOE!!!!" ~ Alma Del Mar Sr.
  by stitchbuffymoulinfan     (Sun Feb 26 2006 15:03:19 )   
I agree that Heath Ledger was amazing in this movie. Physically, he embodied and became Ennis with gestures, glances, stance, etc.

Emotionally, his use of restraint was so well-thought. I love his work from when he calls Lureen to the very end of the film -- those scenes are so devastating and moving.

I also think he's great when Ennis is apologetic for turning Jack down after Jack drove to see Ennis when Ennis got divorced, and when he's trying to clear his case for not being able to see him again until November.

So far, I've always gotten nervous the morning after their first love scene when Jack approaches Ennis. And he's great in the "You don't go up there to fish" kitchen scene.

Hell, Heath is great in just about every scene.

www.jlodown.com
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jlodown

by vince55     (Mon Feb 27 2006 20:10:40 )   
Health holding the shirt to his chest! I lost it!
  by lucise     (Mon Feb 27 2006 20:54:23 )   
jpseacadets - thanks! I loved reading your post, well-articulated and thought-out.

Everything Heath's Ennis does is fascinating, hard to pick a favorite. If I absolutely had to pick, it would be:
- The farewell scene: Jack looks into Ennis' eyes when he asks if he'll be back the next summer. Ennis fumbles with his bag, unable to look at Jack readily in the eye.
- The 2nd tent scene, others here have said it all really.
- The reunion scene - who knew Ennis had that much desire for Jack built up in him? He was in love, he saw Jack and threw all his cares to the wind! He was spontaneous for once in his life...and that kiss was unbeleivable!
- Ennis at the Twist home in the end, just breathtaking!

The Ledger rules!!

'If you sleep through life, you wake up dead.'
  by joyce023     (Sun Mar 19 2006 05:09:41 )   
bump
OSCAR clip   
  by LauraGigs     (Sun Mar 19 2006 11:20:24 )   
UPDATED Mon May 15 2006 10:36:47
What's strange to me is the scene they picked to show at the Oscars. It was probably the most unremarkable, least expressive scene Heath had (no fault of his own), and they picked it. (At least for Jake G, they played a clip that showed his chops nicely!)

I know they shouldn't air scenes that give away the plot, and the awards have already been picked, but still. Show something that demonstrates the greatness of Heath's performance.
  by HellsThorn     (Sun Mar 19 2006 11:42:11 )   
I agree, I was pissed when they didn't show a good clip from BBM for Heath. His acting in it inspired me. I think they should of shown the part where he says "I'm nowhere," Ennis doesn't show his emotions much in the movie, so it was probably hard to pick a good clip. And what eats me is that I think people in the crowd were laughing after they showed the clip! That made me very mad. PSH, no offense, but all he had to do is mimic Capote, not that that is easy, but try to bring a character to life with no photos and videos left behind by him(like Heath and Terennce Howard did) Most people don't understand why Heath is being praised so much for his role. In another thread some stupid bitch said his performance was bad, of course I had to tell her off. You have to feel Ennis in you, and you have to relate to Ennis to completely understand the character.
  by markalan-2     (Sun Mar 19 2006 19:45:37 )   
The I'm nowhere, nobody" scene by the lake did me in. I don't cry easily, but that one was a gut-punch. "Why dontcha then, and leave me be?" There were too many scenes that were really great.. And reading about others choices I can't disagree with any of them. It was a monumental performance from the get-go to the very end, but for sheer emotional effect, I'd have to say that one. Tough question though
  by jshane2002      (Sun Mar 19 2006 20:41:22 )   
bump
  by PvtRolandBozz     (Sun Mar 19 2006 20:57:34 )   
Yeah at first I thought the most touching scene was

"You don't know nothing about it"
But now I think it is the scene when Jack confronts him about how all they got is brokeback, and nothing else.

And of course the end scene gets me everytime.

One that nobody mentioned was when Ennis calls Jack's wife, it is really one of my favorites.

"We was uh, we was herding sheep up on brokeback one summer, back in 63."
"Well he always said it was his favorite place, i thought it meant to get drunk. HE drank alot."

I felt so bad for Jack during this scene, it made me realize how lonely he really was (he wasn't alone, but he was lonely).

"I'm real sorry. We was good friends." That line always gets me.

As a straight male I must say I really felt for Ennis and I think it was Heath's acting that made the movie so convincing and sad.

Also Jake was amazing and I thought his acting was incredible.

"All we've got no is brokeback mountain, that's all we got boy."
and how could one forget

"You have on idea how bad it gets"

I'm overworked, underpaid, underloved and overlaid.

http://www.myspace.com/Bryon_A
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Heath's best scene -- by jpseacadets
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:57:47 am »
  by Sheyne     (Fri Mar 24 2006 01:00:52 )   

What a great post, jpseacadets. I don't get on here much anymore - work is killing me these days. But I LOVED your assessment of Heath's acting. Couldn't agree more myself. I still physically gasp during that reunion kiss, its so powerful, so passionate.

My favourite scenes with Heath:

Someone mentioned the fireworks scene. YES. He doesn't drop his bundle here, he maintains Ennis SO beautifully (I should qualify this by saying my biggest gripe with Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote was that everytime he laughed, he laughed exactly like Philip Seymour Hoffman laughs in every movie the guy has ever been in - can't imagine Truman Capote laughing like Dusty from "Twister", but he did and it bugged me). So when Heath had to "cut loose" and beat those guys up, he still did it like those words were punching themselves out of his mouth. As though even in moments of total rage, he was still a man suppressed. You see it best when he turns to Alma after he's kicked the guy in the face. What is that look? She's cradling the girls, looking horrified and he gives her this look.. It just kills me.

The table scene at the Twists. Beautiful. Lots has been said. Can't say it better.

The second tent scene. Ahhh.. (drool). So vulnerable and beautiful. I just want to hold BOTH those boys in that scene.

The "what" scene. They're drinking whiskey and he opens up, probably without even realising and Jack can't hide his delight.

That whimper as he breaks down in the alley.

The soft whimper you hear stuck in his throat as the camera moves over his shoulder when he gets Jack's "deceased" card. That makes me cry every time. A full-on Sally-Field-esque crying fit wouldn't have carried the power that one little noise carries.

Sigh. The guy is just perfect in this movie. Sorry for the long post. Brokeback brings out the writer in me. *blush*

by jshane2002      (Fri Mar 31 2006 18:04:41 )   
bump
  by joyce023     (Mon Apr 10 2006 10:24:38 )   
bump
  by garlicbreath     (Fri Mar 31 2006 21:02:15 )   
Yes! I can't believe no one's mentioned the scene where he completely loses it by the shed. Him trying to puke, nothing's coming up, and he just starts crying. When a strong man like Ennis starts to cry, you KNOW how much he feels it. This and the "i'm nothing.. nowhere" scene. Oh dear, I can't help but just start crying everytime Ennis starts to cry - not just even the glimmer of tears, but when he can't even keep it in anymore.

And without a doubt, cos this is my favourite scene in the book AND the film :D the FLASHBACK, darlings! That back-to-chest hug is the most comfortable, easiest hug ever. Ennis is the most relaxed you'll ever see him - Heath's subtle stroking of Jake's collar, the tiny nuzzlins, resting his chin on his shoulder, that HUMMING kills me every single time. That's possibly the most romantic scene those two have. The reunion, the 2nd tent scene sure are passionate, but the flashback scene is just pure love. No sex, no hunger, no desperation, no worries, just love. And it's amazing how two actors can deliver that to us.

Oh, sorry, we're focusin on Heath. Heh. But yeah, these three scenes. :D I'm obsessed!

You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you
  by latjoremekeed     (Fri Mar 31 2006 21:21:44 )   
I think it's perfectly OK to focus on Heath, garlicbreath. We've certainly heard many odes to Jack on this board, and that's fine. Jack is great. But it's Heath -- well, Ennis -- who grabs ahold of me, too.

All the scenes in which Ennis displays any vulnerable emotion whatsoever are magical. That's because he's so intent on NOT doing that. And when he does ... wow! Very powerful.

Jack is nice because he is steadfast and loyal and nurturing throughout the movie. But I am much more moved by Ennis, because he is trying so hard not to feel the way he does, but he does anyway!
Bump Only   
  by catglith     (Sun Apr 16 2006 09:57:19 )   
Bump
  by catglith     (Mon Apr 17 2006 09:11:43 )   
Bump
  by ladywilde1980     (Mon Apr 17 2006 09:52:48 )   
I was going to mention the 'flashback' scene. This moved me to tears the third time, I watched it. I was just blown away by it - the beauty of that scene and what it represents for both of those characters.... just beautifully done. I loved just about everyone of Ledger's scenes he was just fantastic in this film. He really blew me away and even though I believe that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was amazing in Capote, I feel as many of you on this board feel that Heath Ledger was the better choice. His acting was so multi layered - so deep and meaningful that it should have been recgonized. He was just great as Ennis. There is no if and or buts about that.

Love is Love. Period. End of Discussion.
  by Penthesilea     (Mon Apr 17 2006 11:36:59 )   
UPDATED Mon Apr 17 2006 14:31:35
Heath's best scene? Difficult, there are so many wonderful scenes. They're all mentioned already on this thread. And I love them all.
But for me, Ennis at the Twist kitchen table is it: all his guards down. Devasteted.
And then the mean old man gives him another one (about "the other guy"). And then Ennis' reaction with no words. I hardly can bear to watch this.

Heath has not many words in this scene, but he doesn't need them. It's all in his face and his body language. You can feel, not only understand, how Ennis feels.

Incredible work. Before BBM I thought Heath Ledger is just another pretty face, a teenage heart-throb. I never thought he could have this skills in him. How I was wrong.
I, too, think he is to put in a row with James Dean. And I'm glad someone mentioned River Phoenix. Glad that there are other people who remember him. And yes, River had that vulnerability we see in Ennis's (not Heath's) Character. But unlike River, I believe and hope Heath is a much happier person. Because we know how it ended for River.

Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved
  by pkdetroit     (Mon Apr 17 2006 11:48:03 )   
Heath's best scene(s)?....all of them
"It was the Summer that Sebastian and I went to the Incantadas"
  by paolovicente     (Mon Apr 17 2006 18:39:36 )   
BUMP
  by shasmiles     (Tue Apr 18 2006 04:10:41 )   
bump
  by genwang     (Tue Apr 18 2006 05:02:39 )   
I've watched the movie six times in the theatre. But it has to take the DVD for me to appreciate the last scene Ennis with Almar Jr. fully. The scene when Ennis sees how disappointed Almar Jr. was about his not being able to attend her wedding, the following ten seconds Heath as Ennis is the best acting I've ever seen on screen in my entire life. I remember when I finally caught it on DVD I couldn't believe my eyes. How sad I was for not seeing it on bigger screen, yet how lucky I also felt to be able to discover it finally.
  by jpseacadets      (Tue Apr 18 2006 11:44:02 )   
UPDATED Tue May 9 2006 02:27:25

I haven't watched the DVD yet. But I remember his changing

his mind about missing her wedding for work. He says "They

can find another cowboy," and then promises his daughter

to attend her wedding and missing work. This is a departure

from the old Ennis whose scruples told him work always

held a higher time priority over anything else - - time

he spent with Jack being the only exception to the rule.

I believe this is also the first time in the whole movie

where he speaks the word love. Quite a change from the

Ennis of old we knew.

- - SoundTrak
  by NewHorizons37     (Wed Apr 26 2006 16:50:21 )   
the last scene Ennis with Almar Jr. fully. The scene when Ennis sees how disappointed Almar Jr. was about his not being able to attend her wedding, the following ten seconds Heath as Ennis is the best acting I've ever seen on screen in my entire life.

Can't argue with this, or with any of the scenes that have been mentioned, but I would go back a little earlier in the last scene with Alma Jr. When she replies, "Yeah Daddy, he loves me", the look on Ennis' face when he reacts to this and turns away a little, is just amazing. Talk about great acting. I'm sure that entire scene will be studied in acting classes (if it isn't already.)

Every time I watch the movie I discover something new somewhere in Heath's facial expressions that make it a richer experience. Heath's performance from beginning to end is a classic. As one reviewer said, "the stuff of Hollywood history."
  by catglith     (Tue Apr 18 2006 13:03:53 )   
UPDATED Tue Apr 18 2006 13:05:19
The scene that will always stick out for me, and did so from my very first viewing, is the diner scene. That long shot before Cassie enters of Ennis alone eating pie - wow, that really affected me. Can't explain why either.
  by tforster42     (Tue Apr 18 2006 13:09:49 )   
I agree! ... the scene where he is eating the pie all alone... the first time I saw the movie that scene really hit me in the gut... because it shows us what Ennis' life will probably be like when all is said and done...
  by robins-1     (Tue Apr 18 2006 14:47:50 )   
UPDATED Tue Apr 18 2006 14:49:55
I can't name a favourite scene. Heath is Ennis from beginning to end. I see no break in character. That is why, to me, the character of Ennis is so real. I just want to hold him and love and assure him the world won't treat him as badly as he thinks.
He and Jake were sublime in their roles. I have never seen anything like these two performances.
  by genwang     (Wed Apr 19 2006 03:39:21 )   
Robins, I can't agree more. The more I watch BBM, the more I am amazed at how great Heath's acting is. You are completely correct when you said there is no break in Heath's depiction of Ennis. And he shows no acting break in the following two scenes, which I find absolutely incredible. When waching BBM in slow motion, in the following scenes, we can see continuity break from Jake's performance, yet Heath (his facial expression, his body expression) remains the same: In the second tent scene, when Jake holds Ennis's head to his chest and they lay down, then in the next shot Ennis began his famous stroke of Jake's body; the renunion kissing scene, when the shot changes from their hugging to Ennis' beginning to push Jake to the wall. How Heath maintains in these shots the same experssion on his face, the same emotional depth is beyond me. He is a real genius!
  by catglith     (Wed Apr 26 2006 15:27:11 )   
Now i've got the DVD, i really appreciate the final trailer scene too.
  by terryhall2     (Wed Apr 26 2006 18:46:25 )   
BOTH actors show a myriad of emotions without saying a thing...that's real acting. Heath has grown in stature because he threw himself into the role...the dry puking scene, the second love scene in the tent, the guilt at the dead sheep, the embarrassment and anger on Thanksgiving day, the final collapse at the lakeside , the apple pie scene, the meeting with Jack's mum and the discovery of the shirts...all impeccable. I felt I was living both men's parts.
  by vince55     (Wed Apr 26 2006 19:15:50 )   
You got them terryhall2!
  by ailuro      (Wed Apr 26 2006 19:25:20 )   
Speaking of scenes, can anyone answer me this:
In the final meeting, Ennis is explaining to Jack why they can't meet next August. Ennis explaining, says something to the effect of "If you have a better idea..." Jack's famous " I did once. " Ennis " You did once. You been to Mexico Jack Twist? "
What in hell prompts that response? What leads Ennis to suspect anything from a simple " I did once." ? Wasn't Jack talking about the calf & cow operation?
Something here so subtle I missed it? After 6 or 7 viewings ?
" This is not a psychotic episode. This is a cleansing moment of clarity. " Network
  by NewHorizons37     (Wed Apr 26 2006 19:36:24 )   
It's just Ennis getting defensive. Jack saying "I did once" put him on the defensive, and he did what many people do when put on the defensive: attack the other person about something that has nothing to do with what they were just talking about.

Ennis can't handle actually addressing the "I did once" which as you correctly assume, was referring to them having a life together, and Jack's disappointment that they never did, which was Ennis' choice. So Ennis brings up something he can throw at Jack. It's meant to make Jack defensive, but it doesn't, and things escalate from there.
  by ailuro      (Wed Apr 26 2006 19:55:12 )   
Thanks New for clearing that up. I can be a bit thick at times.
Makes sense after Jacks' wanting to go someplace warm like Mexico & Ennis using that in getting back at Jack.
Geez, why can't these two leave us alone?

" This is not a psychotic episode. This is a cleansing moment of clarity. " Network
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Heath's best scene -- by jpseacadets
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:58:42 am »
  by moooooviefreak     (Wed Apr 26 2006 19:26:33 )   
The thing about Heath is, he acts with his eyes. He shows every emotion through his eyes without saying a word. Now that is one reason he is so perfect to play Ennis, because Ennis is a man of very little words and they needed an actor who could portray emotions without even talking. Jake is another actor who can do this, so can Johnny Depp and Joaquin Phoenix. I love actors who can do that.

As for my favorite Heath scene? I cannot choose. It is just to difficult to pick.

"Jack fu*kin' Twist". Ennis Del Mar, Brokeback Mountain
  by jpseacadets      (Wed Apr 26 2006 21:44:59 )   

- - Sound Trak

Why can't these two leave us alone, you ask? They can't
because we keep seeing ourselves in them: "It could
always be like this," "I did once," (Jack). "I'll
bring Ennis Del Mar up here and we'll lick this ranch
into shape," "He's got another fella who's gonna come
up here and help build this place," (John Twist of Jack).

Jack's the Dreamer of the two. Hanging onto Ennis and
believing he would somehow change his mind.

This is why I started this OP two months and 55 postings
ago. They haunt us.
  by joyce023     (Mon May 8 2006 12:45:57 )   
b
  by pretendervcj     (Sun May 14 2006 18:17:18 )   
I think that Heath is a fantastic actor who always puts subtleties in his roles. BBM just gave everyone a reason to start noticing. Go back into some of his other films and watch for those subtle character definitions.

This film has stuck with me so much!

Hoo-ah!

by hsuvera     (Mon May 15 2006 03:06:50 )   
The scene Ennis steps out the truck, fearless and alone. It carries the "western mood" for the film right on this act.

Heath's facial expressions are very intense and haunting.

A.Ennis' rage scenes are so authentic and frightened:
Fight with Jack upon the last day on Brokeback Mountain
Shouting to the stranger when he cried in the tunner after Jack drove away.
Fight with the bikers on 4th of July.
Upon hearing Alma said " Jack nasty"
Threat to Jack upon hearing about Mexico trip.

B.Ennis' sorry scenes carries a innocent and young looks:
At court for divorce with Alma.
Turned down Alma jr.'s proposal to move to his place.
Being questioned by Cassie at greyhound bus station.
The telephone call with Lauren.

C.Ennis' shy scenes take so much emotion and dizzy:
The second tent scene: before getting in and after getting in.
Wedding with Alma.
Cassie picked him up and later asked him to massage her feet.

It's hard to describe because many scenes are mixed and involved several emotional expressiona i.e. the meet the Twist's scene Ennis was at first a bit light up when John Twist said Jack talked about Ennis de Mal for twenty years, but his face gradully turned depressing upon hearing "the other guy" Jack would bring, in the same moment Ennis cleared the throat, how painful he was. Yet, Jack's mom put her hand on Ennis shoulder, Ennis calmed down at once.

And very typical "Heath's grin" seems he carries to all his films.
  by jeaniebaby001     (Mon May 15 2006 03:24:42 )   
UPDATED Tue May 16 2006 00:29:11
Many scenes are great, as mentioned by all. Personally, I have two favorites:

1. When he puts his fingers between his eyes and started to convulse, after telling Jack "well, why don't you?" when Jack said the famous I wish I could quit you line. I didn't know a man could do that.

2. This one is just cute. When he was talking about his sister and brother, that was pretty good acting there. And then, Jack raised his eyebrows at him. Ennis looks back at Jack with a very 'special' expression (like, flirty???) and said, "What?". I have never seen that expression before in the history of acting, I think he INVENTED a new expression.

William Buckley wrote a book at Yale; I read one~ GW Bush
I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass
  by revolution-hk     (Mon May 15 2006 03:31:03 )   
UPDATED Mon May 15 2006 03:33:47
Maybe you can add one more

3. After he told Jack "My daddy, he was a fine roper, but he didn't rodeo much. He thought all rodeo cowboys are fxxkers.", Jack returned him a strange look. His eyes starts rolling around, thinking he might just said something wrong and upset his new friend.

"If you can't fix it....call the support hot-line."
  by jeaniebaby001     (Mon May 15 2006 03:45:44 )   
revolution-hk: LOL, that was him being mischievous because he was setting Jack up to see how Jack would react...and Jack did!

"William Buckley wrote a book at Yale;I read one"~ GW Bush
I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass
[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by the poster
bump   
  by LauraGigs     (Sat Jun 10 2006 10:14:43 )   
bump
Re: bump   
  by mal_300     (Sat Jun 10 2006 12:05:15 )   
My favourite scene was definitely after Jack let Ennis have it. Jack was voicing his frustration ("You have no idea how hard it gets sometimes!"), and Ennis turned around, and crumbled to a sobbing mess to the ground. Jack came over, telling him it's alright, cradling him in his arms.

How could the Oscar not have been awarded to him after such a tremendous performace? That scene crushes me every time I think or see it.
  by bruno-32     (Sat Jun 10 2006 17:18:51 )   
I agree with almost everything you said...but for those same reasons I was disappointed when I did research on this actor. I've heard of him mainly by name in columns, but never saw a movie he was in till BBM. In my research, I found that for a 26 year old the guy is more mature than some adults I know..articulate and loyal to family and friends...but then i saw some recent pictures of him on the web...tatoos, earings and that aussie accent...just shattered my Ennis image. Its like Jeykl and Hyde. I hope I haven't offended anyone reading this about the earrings..."Ennis" wasn't that type..LOL
  by agrawal_alka     (Sat Jun 10 2006 18:11:38 )   
UPDATED Sun Jun 11 2006 17:15:06
Heath really transformed himself for this role. I was shocked when I saw him interviewed and on the DVD. He doesn't look or sound anything like Ennis. And yet somehow he understood the character so well, even better than Annie Proulx, who created the character!

I'm not sure this scene is any great indicator of Heath's acting ability, but I really like the scene after the second tent scene when Ennis knocks off Jack's hat and they start chasing each other and horsing around and collapse on the ground kissing. Everything between them is always so serious and it's nice to see them so lighthearted. And it reminds you just how young they are.

I agree with the all the other scenes people have pointed out including the original post. I think the cinematography of Ennis riding the rocky ridge under the cloudy sky coupled with his stoic expression is one of the most beautiful in the film and is really an iconic image of the lone cowboy.

The opening scene of Ennis jumping out of the truck in Signal in 1963 has become more and more painful for me to watch, knowing that in a little over two hours 20 years of his life is going to go by and he'll end up a lonely and regretful person living in a claustrophic trailer.
  by toycoon      (Sat Jun 10 2006 19:02:54 )   
Oh agrawal alka-
I really like that sequence, too. They are SO serious prior to this and they seem so playful, contented and in love at that moment. No wonder Ennis is so bummed when they have to leave early.
  by hprox345     (Sat Jun 10 2006 19:12:53 )   
jpseacadets, your description of your favorite scene was beautiful! I loved the entire movie, so I can't pick just one scene, but I think Heath did a really good job w/ the scene at the carnival when he punchs the man for talking crudely while his daughters are there!
  by jpseacadets      (Sat Jun 10 2006 21:25:12 )   

His lonely horse ride...very stoic, just like his character. Very much

like the imagery of the lone cowboy in SHANE. I'm the original poster.

I'm thrilled that you like my favorite scene from this extraordinary film.

- - SoundTrak
  by daphne7661      (Sat Jun 10 2006 22:03:14 )   
Oh My - are there ANY scenes in which Heath is not absolutely flawless?! I don't think so, but the one which really stands out for me is when he deflects being on the defense from Jack's "I did once" accusation and takes the offense at the lake scene.

When he suspects that Jack has been to Mexico and been unfaithful to him with another man (note that they talk about sex with wives and other women all the time and NEVER get jealous!), his soulful eyes bear into Jack's with a hurt jealousy that is beyond real....

"You been a Mexico, Jack Twist? Hunh? 'Cause I know what they got in Mexico for boys like you. ***** I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack **bleep** Twist, and I ain't foolin'.... What I don't know? All them THINGS that I don't know? Might get you killed if I should come to know them... I ain't jokin' " [TURNS AND SPITS].

My God, I get goosebumps at his emotional range here.....

by beans1030     (Sun Jun 11 2006 11:24:44 )   
My favorite scenes are:

Where Ennis opens up to Jack about his brother and sister, and not talking for a year.

The 2nd tent scene...I just see him let go of all of his fears, even if it's for a short time.

From when he sees Jack pull up, after 4 yrs of being apart, all the way through their 1st "fishing trip." He's just so emotional in all of that, it really gets to me.

I, too, thought he was great in the Thanksgiving dinner kitchen scene. It just shows his love for Jack, his own way of protecting him, and their "secret"
  by edd_joey     (Sun Jun 11 2006 11:49:46 )   
Ennis in Jack's parents house. Simply heartbreaking the moment when he finds the shirts

You have turned me into this...
  by bruno-32     (Thu Jun 22 2006 07:09:24 )   
"You been a Mexico, Jack Twist? Hunh? 'Cause I know what they got in Mexico for boys like you. ***** I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack **bleep** Twist, and I ain't foolin'.... What I don't know? All them THINGS that I don't know? Might get you killed if I should come to know them... I ain't jokin' " [TURNS AND SPITS].>>>

Definitely one of his best scenes...but lets take the 'above' statement in context..Ennis was a loner, homophbic, we have to assume he has never spoken to anyone about 'queers", so how come he knew all about Mexico and what went on there?
bump   
  by joyce023     (Tue Jul 4 2006 10:35:34 )   
bump
Re: bump   
  by Axewind129201     (Tue Jul 4 2006 11:04:34 )   
The ending is good, its so inarticulate (my favorite word) Ennis just stares and cries. I like the scene when Ennis and Jack are in the bar,near the beginning,and the one scene where Jack is about to go all crazy with the dancing from Ennis's "rodeo cowboys are all f u c k ups" I like how he doesn't really catch Jacks eyes (something gay men often don't do when they find someone attractive) He looks away so quickly,I got what he meant right away. The "I wish I knew how to quit you" scene,of course is good.
  by agrawal_alka     (Wed Jun 14 2006 17:07:36 )   
bump
I'm startin' to fall for jpseacadets just a bit...   
  by toycoon      (Tue Jul 4 2006 12:11:00 )   
UPDATED Tue Jul 4 2006 13:25:57
... your posts are so very articulate and well thought out.

I guess I was sucked up into the tale right from the get-go. I can't pick a favorite scene because to me, the entire movie is so perfectly crafted that I don't see it as parts but as a whole.

I can, however, watch the reunion kiss over and over. I never saw it coming the first time I watched the movie. I was just as surprised as Jack with Ennis' response!
  by coffeecat33     (Tue Jul 4 2006 12:40:58 )   
Oh Ennis.... when he talks about his brother and sister, doin' the best they could and the little "whut?' with the coy smile at the end. The last line with the tears in his eyes. I think my favorite is when he is in the apartment, drinking beers & chain smoking waiting for Jack - if he shows. Ennis instinctively knows the truck that just pulled up is Jack even before he looks out the window. The reunion kiss - which knocked me out!

"[If] you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."
  by Santinos_Bridesmade     (Sat Jul 8 2006 18:05:20 )   
I love, love, love the second tent scene. He's so vulnerable in that scene, like a shy little boy working up courage to stand up to someone. How he gathers himself to go into the tent.....how he kneels before Jack, unsure and hesitant.....glancing around, unable to look Jack in the eye.....trying to gather something in him that he suddenly lost.....how he pulls away at first when Jack tries to kiss him, then submits willingly, realizing it's alright to feel this way.....Heath's performance here just blows me away every time. That scene alone, automatic Oscar!! One of the biggest snubs in Academy history...

"We celebrate Labor Day by not going to work?"
  by Dbrockerskk     (Sat Jul 8 2006 20:28:56 )   
His still, set, and stricken face during the divorce scene. Not a word spoken. It's all there.
The kitchen sink scene where Alma finally confronts him.   
  by bobweaver     (Sat Jul 8 2006 20:32:58 )   
That scene convinced me that Heath should have won the Oscar. The slowly building anger as he realizes Alma's on to him and he's been lying to her all this time, the sudden explosive reaction - it was gripping
Re: The kitchen sink scene where Alma finally confronts him.   
  by jpseacadets      (Sat Jul 8 2006 21:45:14 )   

I'm the OP and your "not a word spoken," Dbrockerskk, is Heath's chief
acting asset in this film. You don't need words in a role of suppressed
emotions like Ennis DelMar. Heath possesses this understated quality and
it fits perfectly like hand in glove. It's always good to see a part that
is well cast as this one certainly was. That others who are in the Academy
didn't recognize this and reward it appropriately is not Heath's failing,
but theirs. His work in this film is nothing short of amazing.

- - SoundTrak
Re: The kitchen sink scene where Alma finally confronts him.   
  by Santinos_Bridesmade     (Wed Aug 2 2006 18:17:29 )   
Heath was great in the Thanksgiving confrontation too. He was so believable in his conveyance of rage and restaint - Ennis being urged to hit Alma, then storming out of there before he could, then picking a fight with a random person to vent his emotions. Everything about Heath's performance was flawless.

Vote to get this one the top 250! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/
[Post deleted]   
  by kevinmcg     (Wed Jul 19 2006 17:53:30 )   
Discovering the shirts, hands down. Love, lonliness, longing, fear, pain, regret. All acted beautifully, done with no one else on screen and done without a single word being spoken.

Jack n' Ennis forever
  by StreetWithNoName     (Wed Jul 19 2006 22:42:10 )   
"This Kurt fella...he loves you?"
"Yeah, daddy...he loves me."
[Ennis pensively stares out the window]

The emotional nuance of Heath's performance during this scene is mind-blowing. I would've given him the Oscar based on that minute alone.
  by drjdm319     (Thu Jul 20 2006 08:11:37 )   
His face when he brings his 2 kind to the grocery store and Alma asks him "What about my job?"
  by drjdm319     (Thu Jul 20 2006 08:13:46 )   
sorry, 2 kids....
  by Santinos_Bridesmade     (Fri Jul 21 2006 13:29:39 )   
The scene where he discovers the shirts and hugs them carefully is......I can't find words. Heath is simply incredible there. You just can read the loss, remorse, lonliness, the final revelation that took 20 years to get to him. Heath may have missed out on an Oscar this time, but like hell it's his only chance. He'll get his Oscar!! He should, he can and he will!

My imaginary friend thinks you have serious mental problems.
  by HeathandMichelle     (Mon Jul 24 2006 07:35:13 )   
The confrontation scene, It's because of you I'm like this, I'm nothing. The pain on his face when he falls to the ground in Jack's arms will stay with me forever.
  by jubinne      (Mon Jul 24 2006 14:10:52 )   
This was the first movie I saw from Heath Ledger and I was amazed at his masterful performance to bring a fictional character to the screen with such an intensity. He deserved all the nominations and awards he got. He didn't get the Oscar, but to me Oscar is not everything. As long as Academy members who vote without even seeing all the nominated films, as long as the members vote for friends and words of mouth, what do you expect? I am a Sag member and I saw all the nominated films before casting my vote for this beautiful film. Heath Ledger's performance will stay with me for as long as I live.
  by stephen-mellor      (Mon Jul 24 2006 15:37:31 )   
For me, it's the "Whut?", just before Jack says "Friend, that's more words than you've said in the last two weeks."

All the other scenes are indeed powerful and worthy, but "Whut?" is my favorite. He looks so vulnerable.

"Tent don't look right" always make me laugh too.
  by SnickerD      (Wed Aug 23 2006 12:55:49 )   
For me, it's the "Whut?", just before Jack says "Friend, that's more words than you've said in the last two weeks."

All the other scenes are indeed powerful and worthy, but "Whut?" is my favorite. He looks so vulnerable.

>>I love that scene too, especially Ennis saying "Whut?" He is also very sexy/flirty in his delivery of that "whut?" Also it stands out to me how he continues to open up and chat away to his soon to be lover with no pushing from Jack<<

Gotta Love *Our* Boys!
  by Doug-Nasty     (Tue Jul 25 2006 15:49:12 )   
UPDATED Thu Jul 27 2006 15:07:55
To jubinne: Thanks for your thoughts! It must be tough being so involved with "the industry" and seeing all the inequities and plain unfairness of an industry that is supposed to represent and highlight the best in the art of filmaking. Stand your ground, and stick to your principles. Your input is sorely needed in Hollywood!

"What do you do Ennis Del Mar?" "This mornin' I was castratin' calves."
Doug O'Connor
  by Doug-Nasty     (Mon Jul 24 2006 15:55:43 )   
UPDATED Tue Jul 25 2006 15:08:16
To jpseacadets: Hard to top this one! I'll pay even closer attention next viewing! Another favourite, is when he and Jack are talking about their families, and their essentially lonely upbringing, and Heath's sincere, almost warm look as he starts to finally "open up" to Jack, his soon to be, "Best Friend."

Regards: djo9449
Doug O'Connor
  by honeybellashley     (Mon Jul 24 2006 16:51:36 )   
I Like when he says what are you doing? in the tent before things get "Intimate" :D
  by Amry0217     (Tue Jul 25 2006 20:22:17 )   
I thought Joaquin Phoenix deserved the Oscar this year - no two ways about it. But after watching Heath Ledger's performance here, I'm totally confused who deserved it more. Every scene he did was better for him being in it.
  by vcarson101     (Wed Aug 2 2006 18:52:05 )   
jpseacadets that was beautifully put
[Post deleted]   
  by androphile     (Mon Aug 14 2006 19:39:38 )   
The entire scene at the Twists' farmhouse. The sparse dialogue is haunting enough, but what he (and Jack's parents in turn) express with their eyes speaks volumes. The scene would be, for me, unbearable if not for the comfort Ennis gets from Mrs. Twist's loving gazes. She knows that he loved her son and she loves him for it, his gender matters not a bit. Of course, the peak is the part in Jack's room where Heath is alone and has no dialogue at all. With his discovery of the "nested shirts," he is confronted with tangible evidence of Jack's abiding love for him. When he caresses them and tries to find some trace scent of Jack in them, we see the last remnants of any denial of his love for Jack he might have yet had, get swept away, like a dam breaking. It's miraculous acting and the most heartbreaking scene I've ever seen in any film because Jack is no longer there for Ennis to declare his love to. All right, excuse me, I have to go away and cry now.
  by androphile     (Wed Aug 23 2006 12:32:07 )   
bump
  by CowboysInLove     (Sat Sep 2 2006 22:01:41 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
Re: Heath's worst scenes. (Gasp!)   
  by Clyde-B     (Sat Sep 16 2006 07:45:27 )   
Don’t get me wrong, these scenes aren’t even close to being bad. They aren't even close to being mediocre. As far as I’m concerned, Heath is the best thing in the whole picture.

But look closely at his body language in all his intimate scenes with Michelle, especially his hands. There are all these little movements like stroking her nose, or gently brushing the hair from her forehead, or carressing her breast. All those unscripted, unnecessary moments of tender contact that are done in real life just as an excuse to touch the person you love.

He does them frequently with Michelle, but he barely does them at all with Jake or anybody else.

I guess love really is a force of nature.

I'm not sure...are you bugged by the scenes or...?   
  by toycoon      (Sat Sep 16 2006 10:12:11 )   
is it that you thought Ennis should have demonstrated some of those tender gestures towards Jack. I sense that in Ennis' mind just doing anything nice for a man is above and beyond what is expected.
I think that is why some folks find it so hard to believe Ennis could whisper the words, "I love you" at all.
Re: I'm not sure...are you bugged by the scenes or...?   
  by Clyde-B     (Sat Sep 16 2006 10:26:40 )   
Usually, body language speaks the truth even when your not willing to admit it to yourself.

What I meant was that I don't think Heath was very good at hiding the fact that he really was in love with Michelle. (Even though Ennis wasn't supposed to be in love with Alma.)

It didn't bug me, I actually thought it was kind of sweet.
  by ScissorhandsRaineyluv     (Sat Sep 16 2006 10:38:57 )   
Sorry Clyde,but I disagree.Heath can't hide it offsreen, but onscreen I didn't see any chemistry whatsoever.I'll give you the snow scene, but that's it.His body language toward Michelle's character said I'm not interested in you throughout the whole movie.

Ah well, just my opinion of course 

"Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama." Ed Wood
  by jpseacadets      (Sat Sep 16 2006 12:12:46 )   

As I'm the original poster for this thread, may I correct? His one scene with
Alma that gives away the fact he's not in love with her is the scene where
she's embracing him from behind and we can see his eyes are closed. It's
obvious he's pretending Jack is doing the embracing and not Alma.

As for no chemistry between he and Jack, what do you call their flashback
scene? If you pay as much close attention as you claim you'd see he's in
love with Jack more than he is with his wife, Clyde.

- - SoundTrak
jpseacadets, you do care!   
  by toycoon      (Sat Sep 16 2006 12:37:03 )   
UPDATED Sat Sep 16 2006 12:43:56
It's been such a long time, I didn't know you were still around.

I've always thought one of the best things about being in a same-sex relationship is not having to adhere to the conventional rules. My husband and I rarely celebrate Valentine's Day on February 14th mainly because everybody else does. We are already sexual outlaws so why conform?

Back to the main OT, Ennis treats Alma differently because she is a woman. She is smaller and not as strong as him. It's clear Ennis has been taught to protect women as the weaker sex. It's only later at the Thanksgiving scene when both of the them forget the rules for a moment and Alma confronts Ennis with her knowledge about his 'secret desire'. Ennis flips out and totally loses control to the point where he would have struck her if she had not yelled out for Munroe.

Ennis has no experience to draw upon when he is embracing, cuddling or showing affection to a man. All he knows is that men should be stronger, fearless and be able to deal with challenges stoically.
  by BDCNewYork      (Fri Sep 22 2006 03:00:29 )   
this is a good thread...
  by HeathandMichelle     (Fri Sep 22 2006 05:06:28 )   
Knowing, as we do, that at the time of filming Heath and Michelle were just starting their love affair. I think I see some chemistry between Heath and Michelle on screen. I know the Ennis character does not have attraction towards Alma, but the attaction Heath has for Michelle, even a superb actor as Heath, you cannot fully hide it. It's funny when I see the love scene of Alma and Ennis (the characters) I visualize Heath and Michelle (the people).
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
bump   
  by northernplains     (Mon Nov 27 2006 19:57:24 )   
bump
  by TrollHammer     (Wed Dec 13 2006 04:32:44 )   
bump
  by BannerHill     (Wed Dec 13 2006 05:34:26 )   
I have never read this thread. Hard for me to believe since I have been on this board for a long time. I totally agree with the OP, but I have not read the other posts.
  by Shasta254     (Tue Dec 26 2006 02:31:35 )   
Now what is your best Heath scene?

One of my favorites is when he leaves camp after TS1, hears the dog, and rides toward the herd. I love to watch him ride--he and the horse are like one. It's beautiful to watch such a skillful horseman. Sometimes I reverse just to watch again.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"