Author Topic: In Plain Sight by Victopet  (Read 75073 times)

mvansand76

In Plain Sight by Victopet
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:10 am »

In Plain Sight is a crossover between the movie Witness and BBM. It's got great dialogue and an interesting storyline with Ennis as an Amish man and Jack as a streetwise cop.

http://victopet.livejournal.com
Her journal is friendslocked now, so you have to ask her to be friended...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: In Plain Sight by Victopet
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:24:34 pm »
Chapters 11 and 12 are now up. 

Yes, the dialogue is very strong - whether its Amish!Ennis, toughcopwithsoftheart!Jack or even little Samuel.  And she gives Ennis's character such respect - he's naive, but very smart.  And his feelings and struggles are never treated with condescension.   I find the idea of this Ennis being drawn to this Jack especially enticing. 

Not to mention the murder and the mystery surrounding Ennis's brother, K.E. which are interesting by themselves

Marie
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:59:33 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

yb

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:20:07 am »
Chapter 13 is now up. 

Marie, a little correction there.  Vic has posted 2 chapters today - chapter 11 & 12.  It may be a while until we get another update because Vic is starting a new job.  But great chapters as always, and she left us with a cliffhanger.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:50:28 pm »
Marie, a little correction there.  Vic has posted 2 chapters today - chapter 11 & 12.  It may be a while until we get another update because Vic is starting a new job.  But great chapters as always, and she left us with a cliffhanger.

Thanks for catching that, yb!  I'll correct my post. Yes, she took me by surprise when I saw that she posted another chapter so quickly. 

SPOILERS

It was a great cliffhanger, wasn't it? - we are off and running with this story now.  Wonderful characters and a suspenseful plot.  I imagine that being forced into hiding with a wounded Jack can't help but bring more of Ennis's feelings to the surface.... and Jack's too.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:03:18 pm »
Thanks for catching that, yb!  I'll correct my post. Yes, she took me by surprise when I saw that she posted another chapter so quickly. 

SPOILERS

It was a great cliffhanger, wasn't it? - we are off and running with this story now.  Wonderful characters and a suspenseful plot.  I imagine that being forced into hiding with a wounded Jack can't help but bring more of Ennis's feelings to the surface.... and Jack's too.

Marie

Have you guys seen Witness? I have, about 10 times, so I can't think of this story without thinking of:

* Harrison Ford singing Sam Cooke's What a wonderful world this would be to Kelly McGillis.
* The building the barn scene
* Rachel bringing Book the lemonade while he is all sweaty and building a new birdhouse...

:D

yb

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 07:47:22 pm »
I haven't watched Witness, but I did watch the dance clip on youtube that Vic provided, I can totally see Jack in Harrison Ford's character, and Ennis laughing heartily while dancing with Jack will definitely be a charming scene.  I'm anxiously waiting to read how Vic will write this scene.

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:23:46 am »

A new chapter has been posted and it's wonderful! Anybody who is not reading this story yet, should start now. It's one of my favorites right now....

:D 

yb

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:36:10 pm »
Quoting Maggie, this is by far one of the best stories out there.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 01:38:15 am »
Quoting Maggie, this is by far one of the best stories out there.

I agree! So happy to see a thread here for it. I haven't read Chapter 15 yet (I think its chapter 15?) but I plan on doing so first thing in the morning. Can't wait!  ;D
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:20:47 pm »
The setting in Amish land is intriguing - an interesting layer to the story. 

SPOILER

I admit to being amazed at Ennis's extreme naivete.  Yikes.  Reading through some the comments and the author's replies, I guess it makes sense.  It's hard to get into the mindset of someone who's been so restricted and sheltered  - not only from his own body, but from having his own thoughts, as well.  I think it's a combination of denial and fear on top of his innocence.   I felt so sorry for him, though, thinking that perhaps he's caught some "English" disease or infection. 

The contrast between Ennis and Velda is fascinating.  She is clearly not afraid to be a rebel.  I wonder why she hasn't had her own Rumspringa?  Or maybe she has?   

I'm enjoying this story very much ...

Marie