Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 941552 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #840 on: February 27, 2023, 11:53:02 am »
My dream night before last was quite different although it had many of the same elements as usual. I was in a modern office tower but this time I was moving in and preparing to start a new job. There were people around, I could hear them out in the large main area, but I was in a somewhat secluded alcove, setting up my desk. All of my supplies looked like they were from Barnes & Noble, lovely flowered pens, bookmarks, sticky notes, etc. And a cozy throw for when it was drafty or chilly.

Then, I could see a peek through an open door that there was a man setting up his office about 50 ft. away. His office had a window, blinds, and light coming through. A feeling came over me of the situation being unfair. My space was nice, but it didn't have the trappings of power that his did. I turned my back to him and continued setting up. I made a conscious decision that I wasn't going to say anything about the inequity and I was going to establish my own power without trappings.

As I finished up, some women came by one by one and complemented me on the look of the space. I noticed that someone had pulled a curtain over the entrance so I would have more privacy. It was almost like having a private office. There was a window that I hadn't noticed before. I woke up feeling very well rested, alert, and sharp. Getting a good night's sleep is very health-giving and valuable.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #841 on: March 22, 2023, 10:01:36 am »
Gradually my dreams are shrinking down in scope so they feel less overwhelming. I'm interrelating with smaller groups of people and the burdens of responsibility are dissolving away. It feels more like a free exchange of ideas and the giving is more mutual and free will. Last night, it was just a horse. I was in a barn, in a stall with the horse, and I was cleaning out the stall, but the stall was fairly clean already, so I was basically keeping the horse company. And she was communicating with me somehow, like the horses in Gulliver's Travels.

And then I had a dream where I was photographing Harry Styles for a movie promo. The movie? John Waters' Hairstyles, of course!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #842 on: March 22, 2023, 11:37:47 am »
I was finally able to finish watching that movie last night. What really helped was seeing the comedy in it. That's what also makes my dreams so memorable too...seeing the absurdity of life and using it as a tool. I woke up to learn that it has been nominated for several Oscars.

I watched the first half Sunday and haven't brought myself to finish it. TBH I thought it was boring -- they just kept zipping around from one setting to another, people would start beating each other up, and off they'd zip again. I had no idea what the underlying mission was. But then, that's not unusual, I can never follow regular action movies, either.

I'm hoping the reason I can't follow them is because I'm so uninterested in them (and maybe also not up on the tropes). But I can't help remembering my grandmother, who in her later years had no idea what was happening in, like, Frasier.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #843 on: July 06, 2023, 10:43:23 am »
I had a full moon dream for sure last night. It began well...I met a tall man who looked something like Armie Hammer and we became a couple. We were at a conference at the university where I had received my degree. We were going to a reception and I was trying to figure out where. The program seemed to have gone missing and, though there were a lot of people around, no one seemed to know. Finally I got a lady who seemed to be part of the cleaning staff to write the address on a piece of notebook paper.

I went off from my new lover to find out how to get to the reception. There was a table of ladies with an empty spot and I sat down and introduced myself. Since I couldn't read the address I passed the slip of paper to the lady next to me who passed it to another lady at the head of the table. She wore an old fashioned dress and a beehive hairdo. I asked her to read the address so I could rewrite it in my journal. Tentatively she said, "Billing conferencing 1020 Fillmore" in a small voice. Jokingly I replied that I needed to get out my ear trumpet so I could hear her. She and everybody laughed. She tried again, "Building conferencini..." I thought I detected a bit of an Italian accent and thought I'd take my chances on a second joke. Unfortunately, it was a Godfather joke, and I could tell immediately that she took offense. She pressed her lips together in disapproval. I waved my hands in the air and apologized and said, "Since my ex-husband is Italian and I have an Italian last name I thought it was okay to joke about it." But it was not okay. In dismay, I realized that I was waving my arms like the stereotype of an Italian. There was nothing to do but excuse myself and leave the table. She gave me the paper back and when I studied it long enough I was able to make out the address.

I hurried back to the place where my man was waiting, but suddenly a big purple monster started coming after me. It looked sort of like the hound of the Baskervilles and snapped at me with sharp teeth and jaws. The only way I could keep it from biting my face was to press my head into the side of its head and press my whole body into its flanks. I couldn't do this for long, so I just backed away and looked at it. It looked back, reached out and took a small bite out of my chin. This seemed to satisfy it and it bounded away. I finally arrived at the little inn but my lover was nowhere to be seen. Someone said a bus had come to take everyone to the reception. I contemplated whether to catch an Uber but, since my chin was bleeding, I decided not to.

(In real life I don't recall ever telling a Godfather joke, I hasten to add)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #844 on: July 06, 2023, 12:58:34 pm »
I was in a CVS drug store recently having the manager take my passport photo. I asked him whether they carried sparkling mineral water and he led me to the section and named some brands. He pronounced San Pellegrino with a rolled R, so I asked if he was Italian; prior to that I'd detected no accent. Turns out he's both Italian and American and travels back and forth. I told him I'd been to Italy twice and he wanted to know what cities I'd visited. I did not tell a Godfather joke.  :laugh:

But enough about me, back to your dream! I see two allusions to cannibalism in your dream: Armie Hammer and the monster. Does that connection sound meaningful to you, and if so what do you make of it?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #845 on: July 06, 2023, 09:26:46 pm »
But enough about me, back to your dream! I see two allusions to cannibalism in your dream: Armie Hammer and the monster. Does that connection sound meaningful to you, and if so what do you make of it?

Maybe with a side of fava beans?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #846 on: July 07, 2023, 12:16:48 pm »

Haha, I  think that's a Hannibal Lechter reference, right? I'm not sure what the connection to cannibalism and Armie Hammer is, and not sure I want to know. So let's say my lover in the dream looked a little like a Ken doll instead.

About the monster, it was purple with green spots and I think it actually had two  heads but one was on a short neck so it was not a threat. That whole part of the dream reminded me of the passage in Brokeback Mountain where the spoon and cup were in lurid cartoon colors and the  spoon resembled a tire iron. Sometimes your brain does things to try to defuse a situation so you can tolerate it.

A lot of my dreams have metaphors and puns. So I think that the monster biting my chin means that sometimes my past actions will come back to bite me. Literally.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #847 on: July 07, 2023, 12:44:27 pm »

And a nice chianti.  :laugh:

I'm not sure what the connection to cannibalism and Armie Hammer is, and not sure I want to know.

Let's just say he's fallen from grace. He hasn't eaten anybody's liver or any body part AFAIK but some little gross things, also told women he imagined eating their ribs. But the real dealbreaker was that he was abusive and rapey. Sorry to have to break this to you. If you google "Armie Hammer cannibal" you'll see a bunch of articles describing his specific actions.

But if you weren't aware of this, then obviously the Armie in your dream did not hold that meaning, so whew.

So let's say my lover in the dream looked a little like a Ken doll instead.

Much better, because a Ken doll apparently looks like Ryan Gosling and that's about as good as you can get!

So I think that the monster biting my chin means that sometimes my past actions will come back to bite me. Literally.

That's an intriguing interpretation!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #848 on: July 07, 2023, 01:31:36 pm »
And a nice chianti.  :laugh:

I wasn't sure of the wine.  ;D

Much better, because a Ken doll apparently looks like Ryan Gosling and that's about as good as you can get!

That's a movie I think I'd actually like to see, that and Asteroid City.   :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #849 on: August 09, 2023, 09:46:16 am »
Last night I woke up at about 3 a.m., half-remembering a dream I'd just had. I could vaguely see meaning in the part I could remember, and I told myself I would come here today and write about it. But now I have no memory of even that part.

Maybe I should keep note paper by my bed. Although I have a feeling any notes I might have jotted at 3 a.m. would be unreadable or make no sense now.

My theory is that dreams happen in a language so different from that of your conscious brain that it doesn't translate well and the memory fades far more quickly than memories of waking experiences.