Author Topic: Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!  (Read 18375 times)

injest

Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:48:11 pm »
Let's see what we can all remind one another of!

For some reason I was thinking today of back when I was a kid....how much of the tools in the kitchen were metal....and of course we didn't have no stick pans....do ya'll remember soaking the pans while you washed the rest of the dishes and having to scrub them?

Do you remember the first dish washer you ever saw?

and these....ya'll remember these??

Oh they were hard for a seven year old to pop....but we would work on it til we got it!

Tell us about what you remember....about things we have lost...

injest

Re: Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »
Cloth diapers! Oh god. Does anyone remember them? talk about droopy drawers!! they got soiled there wasnt a question...EVERYBODY knew it...

and those big ol safety pins? I remember rich people had ones that had little pink or blue tops! We just used plain ones. I never poked the baby but I poked my finger a few times. I also remember we thought you were just a lazy spendthrift if you bought those that had the prefold in them! LOL!!!

Anyone still remember how to use a cloth diaper? did you trifold or double?

Remember sloshing that diaper in the tiolet when it got soiled?? I tell you, parents today are SPOILED! LOL!!

Plastic pants! do they even make them anymore? remember for Sunday you had the plastic pants with ruffles! LOL

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:56:10 pm »
Truman and I were talking about these a couple of days ago...

injest

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:56:51 pm »
Do you remember that you could (if you had a telephone) pick up the reciever...dial your own number (on a rotary dial!) and hang up real fast ....and your own phone would ring! LOL!

I got a whupping one time for doing that....

injest

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:57:45 pm »

hey! I used to eat those....my dad loved them... :P

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:03:31 pm »
Do you remember that you could (if you had a telephone) pick up the reciever...dial your own number (on a rotary dial!) and hang up real fast ....and your own phone would ring! LOL!

We lived out in the country where 2 or 3 families shared a "party line" and when you picked up your phone, you could hear other people talking. When the phone rang, you had to listen to the rings to see whether it was yours or someone else's. Ours was 1 long and 2 shorts or something like that.  By the time I got to be 11 or 12, the country had private lines. YAY.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:11:03 pm »
I was in the sixth grade before we got our first phone but it was a private line!! :laugh:

injest

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:17 pm »
the rumble seat of the station wagon...and no seat belts...you could waller all over the place.

do kids today get the 'stop short' arm anymore? I am 42 and my mother still will throw her arm out in front of me if we have to stop suddenly....see? we DID have safety devices...who needs a seat belt or air bags if you got your momma's arm??

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:38 am »
It's a wonder we lived past childhood, Jess! No seat belts ever--our cars didn't even have them for a long time.  I rode in the back of a pick up--sometimes sitting on the tailgate. And I rode my bike all over the place and played  alone in a wooded area about a half mile from home---climbing trees and walking around--probably near snakes. If something would have happened--no one would've known until it was time for me to come home. I wasn't scared a bit then---now it seems scary. We didn't let my little niece out of our sight---course it's a vastly different world now. We made it tho, didn't we?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:08:44 am »

Ugh!  :P

Do people really eat those things? I thought they just hung them there to encourage people to buy the more expensive stuff.

I tried one once and I couldn't get it down. Clarissa, please tell me you really don't eat those!  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:13:27 am »

Hey Jess, did you ever stick your tongue on a frozen one of those? I did.

Don't try it at home kids.  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:18:35 am »

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

YES!!! I used to prank mom and dad all the time doing that!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:22:32 am »
Anyone remember their phone number looking like LINCOLN 5-1126? (That was our old phone # on Radnor Rd.)

Or CIRCLE 7-5252?

Or is everyone else around here younger than me?  ???

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 03:55:07 am »
Let's see what we can all remind one another of!

For some reason I was thinking today of back when I was a kid....how much of the tools in the kitchen were metal....and of course we didn't have no stick pans....do ya'll remember soaking the pans while you washed the rest of the dishes and having to scrub them?

Do you remember the first dish washer you ever saw?

Oh they were hard for a seven year old to pop....but we would work on it til we got it!

Tell us about what you remember....about things we have lost...

Still don't have a dishwasher - and still use ice cube trays - these fancy american firdges with ice making facilities are too expensive for me!!

the rumble seat of the station wagon...and no seat belts...you could waller all over the place.

do kids today get the 'stop short' arm anymore? I am 42 and my mother still will throw her arm out in front of me if we have to stop suddenly....see? we DID have safety devices...who needs a seat belt or air bags if you got your momma's arm??

See Your Mum does love you!

And Clarissa - what do circuis peanuts taste like exactly? sounds odd!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 04:44:30 am »
Remember how cool we were riding our new Stingray bikes with banana seats?

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 07:13:00 am »

What are they? I know, peanuts, but are they huge peanut sweets? Are they chewy?

injest

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 08:15:08 am »
they are like really stale marshmellows...a thicker consistancy. fresh they aren't too bad, but stale? UG!!

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 09:08:18 am »
they are like really stale marshmellows...a thicker consistancy. fresh they aren't too bad, but stale? UG!!

Aaaaah now I see.... :P  We call them schuimpjes, but they are usually strawberry or lemon flavored and in different shapes...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 10:24:27 pm »
Anyone remember their phone number looking like LINCOLN 5-1126? (That was our old phone # on Radnor Rd.)

Or CIRCLE 7-5252?

Or is everyone else around here younger than me?  ???

My mother does!  She remembers her number as being Lakeside XXXXX or Oakheights XXXX

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 10:30:56 pm »
Aaaaah now I see.... :P  We call them schuimpjes, but they are usually strawberry or lemon flavored and in different shapes...

Melissa, those circus peanuts are TERRIBLE!! I tasted one once and I almost threw up right where I stood. It was AWFUL tasting. They don't taste like peanuts at all. I can't describe the taste. There's really no way to describe it. They are really terrible tasting. Absolutely disgusting.  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 10:38:50 pm »
Did anyone else play this game when they were a kid in the 1960's?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 10:41:44 pm »
The first part of our phone number was Pershing 7 -- Which meant that the first 2 numbers were 7 and 3 for the P and the E. Sometimes we just gave our number as P.E.7-2231. Later on it just changed to 737-2231. And I think we had to call 0 and tell the operator which number we were going to call if it was a long distance number, and she would connect us. Wow! It has been a long time since I thought about that---thanks for jogging that sleeping part of my brain! Long distance calls were limited too; they were expensive.

Ours looked liked this---in beige.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 11:02:11 pm »
How many of you remember the clackers?

How many times did you knock yourself upside your head with one of them?  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 11:06:54 pm »
The first part of our phone number was Pershing 7 -- Which meant that the first 2 numbers were 7 and 3 for the P and the E. Sometimes we just gave our number as P.E.7-2231. Later on it just changed to 737-2231. And I think we had to call 0 and tell the operator which number we were going to call if it was a long distance number, and she would connect us. Wow! It has been a long time since I thought about that---thanks for jogging that sleeping part of my brain! Long distance calls were limited too; they were expensive.

Same thing with us Shasta. Our phone exchange was Lincoln 5, which meant it was actually 545. We also had to use the long distance operator when making a long distance call. If I remember correctly, my grandmother's phone number was Bramble 7-2121 ring 2, because she had a party line. Remember those?  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 11:09:33 pm »
How many of you remember the clackers?

How many times did you knock yourself upside your head with one of them?

OUCH!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

...or smashed a finger between them. I loved the sound those things made, David. Not so much now.  ;)

We lived out in the country where 2 or 3 families shared a "party line" and when you picked up your phone, you could hear other people talking. When the phone rang, you had to listen to the rings to see whether it was yours or someone else's. Ours was 1 long and 2 shorts or something like that.  By the time I got to be 11 or 12, the country had private lines. YAY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 11:14:42 pm »
I think my grandma's phone was two short bursts. We used to eavesdrop on other calls too! She would get so mad at us if she caught us doing it.

"HANG THAT RECEIVER UP!"  :laugh:  :laugh:

Boy, those were the days!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 11:19:20 pm »

Oh my brother had Green Ghost!  We loved that game!  We also loved Mousetrap and Go to the Head of the Class.

But my all time best loved game, along with all my Beatles Bubble Gum Cards was this one....

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 11:20:38 pm »
Oh my brother had Green Ghost!  We loved that game!  We also loved Mousetrap and Go to the Head of the Class.

But my all time best loved game, along with all my Beatles Bubble Gum Cards was this one....

I played Mousetrap too. I loved that game!!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 11:24:35 pm »
We had a party line too until I was 9.  Our ring was three short bursts.  We also had a real live operator at our telephone exchange.   My Grandmother use to make her tea in the afternoon and sit on the sofa with her hand over the mouth piece and just listen to other people's conversations  :laugh:  drove my Mom nuts!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 11:27:16 pm »
We had a party line too until I was 9.  Our ring was three short bursts.  We also had a real live operator at our telephone exchange.   My Grandmother use to make her tea in the afternoon and sit on the sofa with her hand over the mouth piece and just listen to other people's conversations  :laugh:  drove my Mom nuts!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

My gran wouldn't let me listen (if she knew), but sometimes when the other people talked a long, long time, she would tell them  if she needed to use the phone for something.  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 11:33:27 pm »
I still remember what a big deal it was in 1964 to stand on the sidewalk and watch the color TVs in the store window! 

It was 1966 before we got one at our house.  And TVs then were big pieces of furniture with these decorative wood ( or simulated wood) cabinets.   Teddy and I  would lay on the floor on big pillows and were glued to the TV , especially on Sundays when Disney was on because the opening of the show splashed all that color across the screen and then again on Thursday nights when Star Trek was on.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 11:34:34 pm »
Do you all remember the cinnamon tooth picks? Maybe this was something we only did in Indiana. They sold little bottles of cinnamon liquid at the drug store and we would soak toothpicks in it. Then we would bring them to school the next day. I remember once I tasted a little bit of that cinnamon liquid and it nearly set my mouth on fire!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Did you all make friendship bracelets when you were in school? I had a HUGE box of colored beads of all different colors, shapes and sizes. I made friendship bracelets for all my friends at school and around the neighborhood.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 11:36:09 pm »
I still remember what a big deal it was in 1964 to stand on the sidewalk and watch the color TVs in the store window! 

It was 1966 before we got one at our house.  And TVs then were big pieces of furniture with these decorative wood ( or simulated wood) cabinets.   Teddy and I  would lay on the floor on big pillows and were glued to the TV , especially on Sundays when Disney was on because the opening of the show splashed all that color across the screen and then again on Thursday nights when Star Trek was on.

You got your first color TV in 1966 Dottie?? We didn't get our first color TV until New Years Eve of 1969!  >:(

You were lucky!!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 11:39:43 pm »
Do you all remember the cinnamon tooth picks? Maybe this was something we only did in Indiana. They sold little bottles of cinnamon liquid at the drug store and we would soak toothpicks in it. Then we would bring them to school the next day. I remember once I tasted a little bit of that cinnamon liquid and it nearly set my mouth on fire!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Did you all make friendship bracelets when you were in school? I had a HUGE box of colored beads of all different colors, shapes and sizes. I made friendship bracelets for all my friends at school and around the neighborhood.  :D

I made friendship bracelets too!  We made ours out of macrame' , my Mom took a class at the ladies club at the church and she taught me.  She use to buy all this colored hemp and wood and glass beads,  she made hanging plant holders and necklaces and belts and bags.  She was really good at it, sold lots things she made at the church bazaar.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 11:46:07 pm »
Talking about those friendship bracelets reminded me of chewing gum wrapper chains---did ya'll make those? I had a 10-12 foot one draped over the mirror in my bedroom. Whose posters did you have up in your room?

We didn't have cinnamon toothpicks, and we never had a color TV while I was living at home. Or a remote control. The games look fun, but my gran's dad had been a drunken gambler who gambled away all the money they'd saved for the dentist---so---she wouldn't let me play any games that used dice!! That was an odd thought process. I played them when I went to a friend's house. And I could have games with spinners.  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:20 am »
Talking about those friendship bracelets reminded me of chewing gum wrapper chains---did ya'll make those? I had a 10-12 foot one draped over the mirror in my bedroom. Whose posters did you have up in your room?

We didn't have cinnamon toothpicks, and we never had a color TV while I was living at home. Or a remote control. The games look fun, but my gran's dad had been a drunken gambler who gambled away all the money they'd saved for the dentist---so---she wouldn't let me play any games that used dice!! That was an odd thought process. I played them when I went to a friend's house. And I could have games with spinners.  :P

I made chains out of pull tabs Shasta. Remember the pull tabs from coke cans? I would collect them until I had about a hundred, and then I would stick the tab through the hoop of another tab and bend it down. I kept doing this until I had a chain. Then I would take the chain and hang it in my bedroom. I had an entire curtain of pull tab chains. Sometimes I would paint the tabs with shiny metallic paint; red, blue, pink, green, purple, etc. I placed the chains in the center of my room and the "curtain" helped divide the room into two separate spaces. a bedroom area and a lounge area.  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 12:40:53 am »
I made chains out of pull tabs Shasta. Remember the pull tabs from coke cans? I would collect them until I had about a hundred, and then I would stick the tab through the hoop of another tab and bend it down. I kept doing this until I had a chain. Then I would take the chain and hang it in my bedroom. I had an entire curtain of pull tab chains. Sometimes I would paint the tabs with shiny metallic paint; red, blue, pink, green, purple, etc. I placed the chains in the center of my room and the "curtain" helped divide the room into two separate spaces. a bedroom area and a lounge area.  :D

WOW!!  ::)  That's a lot of coke can tabs!! Are they still somewhere in the house where you grew up?? Isn't it funny how kids liked their rooms to be "sections" like that? I didn't have any dividers, but I thought of different parts of the room as separate. My room was added on to the house--it was nice and big, but it had very little insulation and no heat source. Winters were the pits!! Water left in my room actually FROZE once in a while. Quilts, blankets, whatever---were piled on the bed. MAN!! It was hard to get up in the mornings.  :o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 12:47:33 am »
WOW!!  ::)  That's a lot of coke can tabs!! Are they still somewhere in the house where you grew up?? Isn't it funny how kids liked their rooms to be "sections" like that? I didn't have any dividers, but I thought of different parts of the room as separate. My room was added on to the house--it was nice and big, but it had very little insulation and no heat source. Winters were the pits!! Water left in my room actually FROZE once in a while. Quilts, blankets, whatever---were piled on the bed. MAN!! It was hard to get up in the mornings.  :o

Oh God Shasta, that sounds awful!! You poor thing!!  :'(

Yeah, I sectioned off my bedroom and I had the whole black lights, strobe lights, florescent posters, incense, flashing lights theme going on in there! I would go in my bedroom, turn off the overhead light, turn on the black lights and strobe lights and jam to Boston, Styx, Kansas, Kiss, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath on the stereo!  :D

Like I said, those were the days!!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 12:52:56 am »

Yeah, I sectioned off my bedroom and I had the whole black lights, strobe lights, florescent posters, incense, flashing lights theme going on in there! I would go in my bedroom, turn off the overhead light, turn on the black lights and strobe lights and jam to Boston, Styx, Kansas, Kiss, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath on the stereo!  :D

Like I said, those were the days!!

:)  :) ROCK ON!!!  :)  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:16 am »

OMG!  I still think about Green Ghost to this day..  Both my brother and I wanted the game for Christmas, and i was the one who got it!  I felt guilty about that....  But we played with it together so its just as well.  LOL Green Ghost.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 01:34:40 am »
Anyone remember POW bracelets.  I wish i still had mine

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 03:16:09 am »
Anyone remember POW bracelets.  I wish i still had mine

Whats that Dev?

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

injest

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 06:50:28 am »
I didn't know about the POW bracelets at the time, Dev. The first one I ever saw was in the late eighties I think...(also the ONLY one I have ever seen)

Kelda, they were ID bracelets that had the name of a service member that was MIA/POW in Vietnam. People wore them in protest or in memory until the person returned home.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 07:28:47 am »
I didn't know about the POW bracelets at the time, Dev. The first one I ever saw was in the late eighties I think...(also the ONLY one I have ever seen)

Kelda, they were ID bracelets that had the name of a service member that was MIA/POW in Vietnam. People wore them in protest or in memory until the person returned home.

I did think that the only abbreviation for POW I could think of was Prisoner of War... interesting.