Author Topic: First Troll Attack...  (Read 14030 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
First Troll Attack...
« on: May 06, 2006, 06:56:09 pm »
BetterMost is now on red alert after our first troll incursion.  The user has been identified as a student at the University of Binghamton.  His IP address has been blocked, account terminated, and messages deleted.  All users should be on the lookout for troll posts and please notify any moderator on the system through PM if you see one.

I will be filing a complaint with the university's abuse department with the logs of the incident for further action against the person responsible.  I do not play with these people.

Thanks.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

Re: First Troll Attack...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:58:39 pm »
Wow....someone mark it on the calendar!  Our first Troll attack....LOL

Thanks for the warnin Phillip...

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:59:07 pm »
Special thanks to DavidinHartford for his extremely sharp-eyed catch of the messages and his quick reporting!

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:59:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick action Phillip.    I hit the "Report to moderator" button as quickly as I could,  then found Victoria to alert her.     If we all work together we'll keep them out.

David
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 07:07:39 pm by DavidinHartford »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:00:36 pm »
Wow, I hadn't even noticed a troll. Quick work you both, good jobs  :-*

*still feeling so lucky to be at an amazing place such at this*

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 07:03:55 pm »
I am gone for about an hour for my daily power walk.  If anything develops, I'll be on it at around 8pm ET.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 07:04:26 pm »
Our vigilant shepherd [heart]
"chewing gum and duct tape"

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 07:10:54 pm »
I only deleted one of his obscene childish posts, one of the other mod's or perhaps Phil himself got to the first two before I did.  But I'll be keeping my eyes open.  Everyone on CT knows how I feel about trolls!

And Phil...I love you..it warms my heart to meet someone who doesn't play with these cretins :-*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 07:18:16 pm by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 07:11:37 pm »
I only deleted one of his obscene childish posts, one of the other mod's or perhaps Phil himself got to the first two before I did.  But I'll be keeping my eyes open.  Everyone on CT know how I feel about trolls!

As will I.....be here all day...

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 07:13:21 pm »
Wow.  You guys are quick... it's nice not to see these posts sitting around for hours while some nameless mod gets around to deleting.
Good job!
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 07:14:36 pm »
Thanks Phillip and other mods.  It's wonderful to know that even if trolls come here, there is a remedy to the problem, and that they can't anonymously destroy what has been created here.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 07:27:57 pm »
Thanks Phillip, David, and Victoria.  You guys are so quick, many of us never even had to read the garbage posted!  It's nice to have so many great folks watching all our backs.  There's no place like home.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 07:32:19 pm »
Good work, David!  Yay team. 

Phillip, I'm going to sticky this for now.  Unsticky if you prefer.

Clarissa
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 07:34:33 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 07:35:53 pm »
Well done, David - our eagle eyed Neo.

And good job everybody else.  Not nice that we've been invaded but very reassuring that something gets DONE about it. Thanks Phillip.
Chut up!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 07:43:11 pm »
Goodness. I went out with the sheep for a few hours, got 'em bedded down, came back to see that we had an attack and that it's already fixed. You guys are great!  :-*

What's the troll's name, so we can be on the lookout?

And how the heck did you find out what school he goes to? Amazing.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 07:47:38 pm »
Well done guys!!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 08:33:10 pm »
What's the troll's name, so we can be on the lookout?

And how the heck did you find out what school he goes to? Amazing.

His handle was edited out.  When someone logs in here, I can see their IP address as well as who it is registered to.  I tracked it down to the dorm computers at SUNY Binghamton.  Because I logged the whole thing, I am sending the whole mess to the abuse address at the school, who should be able to track down exactly what dorm room was involved. 

IMDb just suspends accounts and they start new ones.  I go much, much further.

(New policy - no reason to feed egos so I have stricken the handle from the record. -- Phil)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:39:17 am by Phillip »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »
Wow! Way to take care of bidness!
Was it a random troll or was he targeting the former IMDb'ers specifically?
Also, I just tried to post and it said I had just posted and needed to wait for a few seconds. Is that new because of these dang trolls or have I just never posted so quickly before? :)
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 08:40:11 pm »
Phil, the administration here is very BetterMost! :)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 08:47:06 pm »
Wow Phillip, when you said you had tools to take care of trolls....you weren't foolin'!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 08:53:33 pm »
Was it a random troll or was he targeting the former IMDb'ers specifically?

I think it was random, and I have to also thank Fran-E who caught the messages extremely quickly, and ChefJudy who was amazing as an early warning detector.  She found a thread on IMDb by a user who essentially challenged the trolls that they couldn't stop the forum at BetterMost and she reported it to me this afternoon.  I put the moderators on yellow alert the moment she hooked me up with that message to be on the lookout, and an hour or so later, the troll was here. 

It really is a team effort, except we share the power to control our own destiny here instead of relying on overworked admins on a huge site who get around to dealing with issues when they can.  I thank everyone involved.

Also, I just tried to post and it said I had just posted and needed to wait for a few seconds. Is that new because of these dang trolls or have I just never posted so quickly before? :)

There is a 30 second wait before each post is allowed to be made.  This prevents thread jamming by automated scripts.  It has always been in place.  So it was the latter.  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 09:39:24 am by Phillip »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 09:18:03 pm »
Cheers Phillip and everyone who took swift action in this matter!
We definitely don't want anything like the troll activity at Imdb here at Bettermost.
Great job !! ... ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 09:35:49 pm »
I think it was random, and I have to also thank Fran-E who caught the messages extremely quickly, and ChefJudy who was amazing as an early warning detector.  She found a thread on IMDb by a user who essentially challenged the trolls that they couldn't stop the forum at BetterMost and she reported it to me this afternoon.  I put the moderators on yellow alert the moment she hooked me up with that message to be on the lookout, and an hour or so later, the troll was here. 

Yay, Phillip and everyone else who helped stop the troll !!!  Way to go!  :D :D :D

It's distressing to me that BetterMost is being discussed like that over on imdb.  I hope that type of "challenge" won't turn BetterMost into a target for trolls.  As long as we have such watchful moderators it seems that we'll be perfectly safe around here.  I remember when info about BetterMost was only passed around very, very cautiously.  I understand wanting to raise the profile of BetterMost on sites like imdb in order to welcome new members here, but I wonder if the wider awareness will also be a tempting thing for trolls. 

I'm just so glad to have found this space...  :)

I never, ever spend time at imdb anymore.  It feels too tainted over there by people with ill-intentions reading and mocking the heartfelt posts of well-meaning Brokies who are really trying to understand the movie. :-\ :(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 10:12:42 pm »
 :) it looks like that thread has now been deleted on the OB - it was put up by trolls anyway so I reported it - losers >:(
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 10:25:14 pm »
Well done guys and thankyou!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 11:47:26 pm »
(((((( HUG )))))))
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 11:59:09 pm »
Missed the action.  Thanks everyone for your great work!  We will be vigilance on abusive posts.

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 12:08:51 am »
I think this in just incredable!!!  when the trolls were on ibdb they were reported, a couple by me personally, i copied their PM to me and sent it to admin..i got a email back saying there would be nothing done about it and that i shoulput them on ignore. well, so much for reporting abuse!!  they PM'd me with really vile stuff...sick=o

and i want to apologize...i have been so excited about Bettermost, that i have stated that it was the place to come for intellegent conversation...stupid me, i never thought about it drawing "THEM" too....i am really niave, i guess, and very very sorry....

gaylee 
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

vkm91941

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 12:19:35 am »
Don't you feel bad Gay you're not the only one mentioning the board on IMDb.  It's not like it's a big secret.  This was just our first and he was swiftly and efficiently delt with and it was a thing of beauty I am telling you.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2006, 12:25:38 am »
Hi Maggiesmommy:

I for one am very grateful that you wrote about Bettermost over at IMDB, otherwise I would never have found this place!  It is good if the true BBM fans can find this site, and hopefully the mods are able to keep out the cretins.  I have been enjoying many of your posts over at IMDB, I have been a BBM fan only since I first saw the movie on April 12th would you believe!  It has captured my heart.

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2006, 12:52:51 am »
Welcome J-0156can'tyouplesaefindaneasiernametotype.  (And thankyou Gay for inviting him/her/them.)  It's a wonderful place here and we welcome your fresh perspective.  feel at home and meet the family.  hopefully you will enjoy the warmth.  Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 03:12:11 am »
thanks..ok, i feel better, i was afraid i had left the barn door open..or is it the Tent flap??
i am so glad some of my posts on the other board were helpful..you never really know...
J..you are so welcome here and your questions are never shot down...we all have them and there are so many people here with just astounding insight..you will be so pleased...
I am a newby to the movie, too..never saw it in the theater..adn i am also irevacably (sp?) changed...
so, ask away...keepwatching and we'll share...
I am SO glad you're here

Offline opinionista

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 07:54:03 am »
I didn't notice there was a troll. Hope it's just one incident. Thanks Phil.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:29:44 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 09:38:48 am »
and i want to apologize...i have been so excited about Bettermost, that i have stated that it was the place to come for intellegent conversation...stupid me, i never thought about it drawing "THEM" too....i am really niave, i guess, and very very sorry....

Actually, that kind of promotion about BetterMost is almost certainly not the reason the troll showed up here.  There have been threads on IMDb openly discussing BetterMost since it started back in February, and an even more recent thread has been openly advocating people come here.

First, I can only speculate the troll originated on IMDb - I don't have direct evidence of it.  Second, if he was from there, it came almost certainly as a result of a post that openly taunted/dared the trolls to try and stop the forum here.  That is much different than just discussing the forum here as a place for intelligent discussion.  So it is very, very unlikely you drew any trolls here and there is nothing to be sorry about.

Third, BTW, I don't mind this incident because, if anything, it demonstrates just how pointless it is going to be to target this system for anything.  The offensive messages were gone in less than a minute after they were first noticed, the user's IP was blocked within a half hour, and I have already filed a complaint with the administrators at binghamton.edu which got back a reply that they will investigate this further because this violates their campus acceptable use policy of Internet resources.  If this guy faces some consequences and he is part of some troll group, imagine him taking the message back to them that I don't play around.

I have no problem even contacting law enforcement and pressing charges against those that would write threatening messages.  I have done that in my prior bulletin board days, and the message gets around when mom and dad open the door and the equivalent of the late Lennie Briscoe and Ed Green are standing there asking where their precious darling is.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:48:06 pm by Phillip »

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 10:41:49 am »
Phillip, you're Awsome!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 12:33:46 pm »
Sheriff Phil!   ;)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 02:45:54 pm »
A thousand thank yous
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 03:02:43 pm »

Sheriff Phil!   ;)

Oh yeah, trolls.  Don't mess around here.  We got Phillip and John on the case, and you don't even want to know what's going to happen to you if you pi$$ them off!!

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2006, 03:38:45 pm »
Just wondering: What monicker this troll person used? I'd like to know in case he/she decides to find a way to come back, so I can recognize it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2006, 07:13:10 pm »
way to go phil !
at least I dont feel helpless here as I do on IMDB when the vile trolls start attacking.
But I SHALL not be mentioning about bettermost on imdb now.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2006, 09:15:23 pm »
way to go phil !
at least I dont feel helpless here as I do on IMDB when the vile trolls start attacking.
But I SHALL not be mentioning about bettermost on imdb now.

It is not a problem to mention the site on there.  The trolls don't pay attention to those messages.  I think if someone challenges or dares them, that might bring them here, but as I've said, those kinds of promotional messages about BetterMost have been up for months with no problems.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2006, 09:33:04 pm »
Bless you, Phillip.

You're simply the best. And that goes for DavidinHartford, chefjudy, and Fran too!

Jenny

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2006, 09:44:39 pm »
Hello, Newbie, here...

a refugee from Imdb -- it seems you've caught our favorite troll.  I do hope you'll share the info with the Imdb admins...

He as much as admitted he'd been busted in a recent post...

by - edited  on Sun May 7 2006 18:15:29 keep this on the hush..I have been tracked for real.they know my ip

Now... the news that SOMEONE had been busted has made the rounds over there, but no one mentioned him by name.  so this would appear to be genuine.  He heads a gang who follow him around...  maybe you've heard the stories from Vicky.  If he could be made to give the names of his accomplices -- the net would be a much nicer place.

Anyway... thought you'd like to know.

You will be a hero not only here but also on that other board...  when songs are sung and stories told... your name will stand with the legends....

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:40:37 am by Phillip »

vkm91941

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2006, 11:18:28 pm »
Hello, Newbie, here...

a refugee from Imdb -- it seems you've caught our favorite troll.  I do hope you'll share the info with the Imdb admins...

He as much as admitted he'd been busted in a recent post...

by - foxinatir27  on Sun May 7 2006 18:15:29 keep this on the hush..I have been tracked for real.they know my ip

Now... the news that SOMEONE had been busted has made the rounds over there, but no one mentioned him by name.  so this would appear to be genuine.  He heads a gang who follow him around...  maybe you've heard the stories from Vicky.  If he could be made to give the names of his accomplices -- the net would be a much nicer place.

Anyway... thought you'd like to know.

You will be a hero not only here but also on that other board...  when songs are sung and stories told... your name will stand with the legends....

I got a PM about this on IMDb the poster who sent it to me, said that troll actvity from the fox and tiger "armys" dropped dramatically after this was posted.  The were still a few homophobes and right wing Christians...but the big stuff just trickled off.

Hmmm if Phil has the fox himself in a trap...Oh my this is a GREAT day!  Some of us have been fighting that little twit for literally months.  He is the one responsible for the fall of Pierre Tremblay.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 03:39:48 am »
Hmmm if Phil has the fox himself in a trap...Oh my this is a GREAT day!  Some of us have been fighting that little twit for literally months.  He is the one responsible for the fall of Pierre Tremblay.

LOL - Now this would be a sweet turn of events wouldn't it!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 03:48:53 am »
by - foxinatir27  on Sun May 7 2006 18:15:29 keep this on the hush..I have been tracked for real.they know my ip

Am I totally stoopid or is writing "keep this on the hush" sorta pointless when declared on a written forum?

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 10:52:18 am »
Absolutely, Ray...  but we cling to such slender hope over at Imdb.  Alas, whoever was caught at Binghamton, it seems not to have been our favorite troll after all as he returned last night to gloat over our "stupidity." 
So... our joy was short-lived.  But if one can be caught, so can the rest.  At least that is my hope.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:57 am »
I hope the SUNY kid gets expelled. Well, he/she will get their computer priviliges revoked for some time. MORONS. 

Felt so powerless with the trolls on IMDB.com. Here, we don't take prisoners. >:( Incinerate the posts, suspend the account, follow the troll to his "home." That's the way it ought to be at IMDB.com. 

Excellant work by Phillip, DavidinCT and Victoria. Keep up the good work.  :D