Author Topic: Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??  (Read 12605 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:36:59 pm »
Or am I the only one??  :laugh:

I won't even tell you what happened to me today at the grocery store, but let's just say it involved me, a large bottled water display, an old woman and two shopping carts.  >:(

Do these things happen to you too? Do the most embarrassing and humiliating things happen to you at the worst possible moment?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

Re: Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:47:48 pm »
Yes, I voted yes. I usually feel embarrassed, at least once or twice, every single day...I'm serious! It's a painful subject, which I don't care to go into here and now, but I do feel frustrated and unhappy about it...a lot. But I forge ahead, thinking that my experiences are there for a reason--I'm getting something from them, on a soul level, as are the other people who are part of those experiences.

injest

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:55:59 pm »
I was sitting on a big ol bench at the library....by myself. A woman came up and sat so close to me she sat ON my dress....I got up and moved.

She followed me screaming at the TOP of her lungs that she was gonna kill me.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:52:01 pm »
A couple of years ago I was walking to my younger daughter's grade school to bring her home from school.  There was this homeless guy with a bottle in a paper bag standing outside a McDonald's that I had to walk past.  Other people were walking past -- it was three o'clock in the afternoon -- so I figured I'd just walk past, too, and not make eye contact.  I walked past him and was stopped at the corner waiting for the light to change -- it's a three-way intersection -- when he came up behind me and started swearing at me, calling me an effing whore, etc.  I just ignored him, and then he spit at me, hitting me on the back of my head.  I could feel it.  It was so gross.  I had no kleenex with me, so I just wiped it off with my hand.

The other people at the corner did nothing and said nothing, not even a sympathetic look in my direction.  Which made it even worse.  :(

But I learned my lesson.  Now I cross the street to avoid situations like this.

David, at least no one spit on you today.  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:11:43 pm by Fran »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:55 pm »

Don't even get me started.... :-\            :-\

I often fall it seems for one reason or another..          crapp.....anyway i do get the rush of sympathy, but i feel worse afterward.

i think i wish they would just look the other way and pretend nothing happened.....uug

Beautiful mind

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 08:56:37 pm »
Ewwww....that sounds scary, Fran, and it is assault--he could have been arrested. That happened to a friend of mine at a ballgame--a parent from the other team spit on her. I tried to get her to file charges, but she wouldn't. Spitting is so nasty!!!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:13:19 pm »

Yes David that is tragic.  I am very sorry to hear about your uncle...bless him

Beautiful mind

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 01:39:51 am »
Ewwww....that sounds scary, Fran, and it is assault--he could have been arrested. That happened to a friend of mine at a ballgame--a parent from the other team spit on her. I tried to get her to file charges, but she wouldn't. Spitting is so nasty!!!!

I did talk to a policeman about it.  Basically, he said it's best to just avoid people like that, if you can, by crossing the street, etc. 

And yes, in the scheme of things it really doesn't matter, but still I wonder what made him pick me as the one to lash out at.  (I wonder if Jess is thinking the same thing about the lady at the library.)

injest

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:58:05 am »
I did talk to a policeman about it.  Basically, he said it's best to just avoid people like that, if you can, by crossing the street, etc. 

And yes, in the scheme of things it really doesn't matter, but still I wonder what made him pick me as the one to lash out at.  (I wonder if Jess is thinking the same thing about the lady at the library.)

oh yeah, LOL!

and the thing that really made me go  :P was it happened during an odd series of encounters...made me wonder if there was just something about ME that was causing the weirdness!

All these happened in the same month one summer:

1) I was at the grocery store checking out and an older couple came up and started going thru my cart!! The man was handling all my groceries, picking them up and moving them around in the cart and the woman came and stood right up next to me....I mean there wasn't a foot between us.... ::) I had a coupon for ketchup that was expired and the man PUSHED my cart back and was asking the cashier "What? what is it??" I told him it was none of his business and the woman said "Well, we MIGHT have bought the ketchup FOR you but you can forget it now!"

HUH?

2) I went to the store. There was a open parking spot next to the door, there was a Lexus in the next spot, and a woman waiting for me to pull in. Now, she had a huge buggy of groceries. What would you have done? Wait for me to get out? NO. She came ON MY side and opened her door and started putting her groceries in her car. I guess she felt I should wait til she finished loading her car. (I was just mad enough; I opened my door reached over and pushed her door shut and got out....she didn't say anything)

3) Maybe it was just grocery stores I should have been avoiding....I was in another store and this old man came up and put his stuff in with mine. ????? I had to tell the cashier; 'yes, that is mine...no that is not mine...yes that is mine....no..."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:57:55 am »
ah yes sometimes we all feel like that don't we! But as Davidsays - in the grand scheme of things these things aren't huge deals... If something embarrassing happens to me I tend to laugh along with everyone else - best way to deal with it I think!

(I'm clumsy as hell, fallen out front doors onto main streets, ripped trousers, and skirts doing it, I drop things, trip up, and have no sense of balance what so ever!)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »

Sounds like you have a few loose screws in your neck of the woods Jess.  That is more than the random amount of odd
shopping cart episodes.  In my way of thinking.             :-\

Beautiful mind

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 01:19:23 pm »
For a long time I was always looking up and saying " Why me!?!"  Most embarassing example I can remember, back when I worked with in the PD's office I was on my way to a meeting at the DA's office, I was dressed to the nines to make the appropriate intimidating presence, my arms were loaded with files and briefs.  As I strode confidently across the parking lot I stepped on a sun blackened banana peel, yep a banana peel, just like in the movies.  AND just like in the movies my foot shot out from under me and right up into the air and down I went, HARD.  So there in the bright afternoon sun, in a busy parking lot, in full view of a dozen people, my skirt flew up, daytimer, handbag, briefcase, cellphone files and briefs flew and there was paper everywhere.  Of those dozen people, at least 8 of them were men AND do you think one of those men came to my aid, NO, I was helped up by an elderly couple exiting the building at the time.  Nothing was hurt but my pride, needless to say I was so shaken I had to reschedule that meeting.

But that's life at least for me... ::)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 03:24:24 pm »
David - you have such a good way with words.. When looking at the Whos online page, I saw that a guest - I guess a spy bot - was looking at this and thought it was this thread and clicked on it but it wasn't it was another one - and your inserts and descriptions are hilarious!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,4125.msg81894.html#msg81894

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 05:26:22 pm »
ah yes sometimes we all feel like that don't we! But as Davidsays - in the grand scheme of things these things aren't huge deals... If something embarrassing happens to me I tend to laugh along with everyone else - best way to deal with it I think!

(I'm clumsy as hell, fallen out front doors onto main streets, ripped trousers, and skirts doing it, I drop things, trip up, and have no sense of balance what so ever!)

Kelda, I do that too... ALL THE TIME!!

So don't feel embarrassed about it okay? Isn't it nice to know you aren't the only one who does it?  ;)  :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 05:45:36 pm »
Kelda, I do that too... ALL THE TIME!!

So don't feel embarrassed about it okay? Isn't it nice to know you aren't the only one who does it?  ;)  :D

exactly!!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Do you sometimes feel like you're "God's Biggest Joke?"
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 10:48:08 pm »
Do these things happen to you too? Do the most embarrassing and humiliating things happen to you at the worst possible moment?

They used to, but I've made a concentrated effort to remove myself from situations when I see the weirdness starting to stack up like dominoes and it's worked.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:05:50 pm by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

A Votive Offering
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:04:54 pm »
The flaw is called hubris and I humbly beg pardon of the gods.

I offer my sincere apologies to the goddess of memory and my own subconscious for not investigating more closely the calculations I made on my car’s gas mileage.  Despite little niggles that had me checking and rechecking my math all week, I kept concluding that this day I could still get 20 more miles out of my tank of gas.

I was wrong.

To the god of travel, I offer many grateful thanks.  When my car did run out of gas, I was on a side street known to me that was decently traveled, less than ¼ mile from a gas station.  There was no oncoming traffic which allowed my car to coast unimpeded into a factory parking lot complete with a friendly and attentive security guard and grounds staff.

Also, I offer my heartfelt thanks to the goddess of glamour who allowed me to forget my plans to wear a jacket, skirt and heels to the office today, and instead, clad me Audrey Hepburn-like in a white shirt, black fully button up cardigan, black capri pants and flat-heeled shoes which allowed easy walking and allowed an easy clean-up once my white shirt became irrevocably stained with dirt and gasoline from the complication I had with my gas can and my gas tank.  Back at work, I simply washed up in the bathroom, removed my shirt and wore my cardigan fully buttoned up as a shirt.

As a post scriptum, I also offer thanks for my high-end choice of MAC’s fluidline longwearing gel eyeliner.  Two layered liners did not run, streak or fade during an hour and half walk through the sweaty, steaming, sunny, hot Texas August weather.

Worth every penny, ladies.

And lastly, vastly humble thanks to My Lady, whose protecting aegis was with me this day.  Her protection allowed the stream of kindly strange men who stopped to offer me a ride to be dissuaded without rancor.

For these and other kindnesses this day, I will joyfully, freely and deservedly pay vows.

(Three years without a working gas gauge and I’ve only run out of gas twice.  I think that’s doing pretty good.)  :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 03:51:23 am »
That is indeed very good - I'm impressed!  ;D But how does your car pas its MOT (or equivalent for the USA) without it working? My sister had that problem with her car and they wouldn't pass the MOT until it was finxed.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 04:28:39 am »
That is indeed very good - I'm impressed!  ;D But how does your car pas its MOT (or equivalent for the USA) without it working? My sister had that problem with her car and they wouldn't pass the MOT until it was finxed.

Well, a car with a broken gas guage still sounds like a safe car to drive in my opinion.  :D

I don't know about Texas Kelda, but Indiana discontinued the Evironmental Safety tests back in the late 1970's. We don't have to get our cars inspected here, which is a shame too. Some of these cars shouldn't even be on the roads. Try driving behind some old car completely held together with electrical tape and belching out thick blue smog from its tailpipe.  :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 05:06:22 am »
yeah - not unsafe but the theory is it could be unsafe for other drivers if you conk out in the motorway cos you have no petrol.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 08:11:21 am »

I don't think it's a requirement here in Texas.  They check emissions, lights, horn, brakes and I believe that's pretty much it.  Or, perhaps you're right, they do check whether my gas gauge works, but since it's stuck in 1/4 tank measurement, they assume it's working, but that I'm just low on gas.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:49 am »
Some years ago, I was doing my grocery shopping at the supermarket. Pushing my trolley around the isles. Minding my own business. After a while, I became aware that people were looking in my direction and laughing. At first I ignored it and pretended they were looking at someone else. It's just my old agoraphobia problem flaring up again, I told myself! They're not really laughing at me. But sure enough, they were laughing at me. Looked down at my fly. Nope, that was okay - closed-up tight. Continued on my way, trying to ignore the attention I was generating, as best I could. And then I saw it! Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a quizzical bobbing head and outstretched claws! It was the biggest praying mantis you've ever seen. And it was sitting on my shoulder, devoutly praying up a novena that would do any zealous novitiate nun proud! "Thank god," I thought, "It's only a praying mantis. I haven't grown a second head, after all!" Pretending like I knew he was there all along, and endeavouring to maintain a stoic demeanour, I made my way to the nearest exit, abandoning my purchases en route, and deposited my newly made friend in a bush by the supermarket door. I still have no idea how that praying mantis got on my shoulder. Must have brushed against him on the way to the store. Who knows? Could have been worse, I suppose. I mean, it could have been a tarantula! In which case, it wouldn't have just been embarrassment that I would have had to contend with. There would have been a small matter of my soiled britches, also!  :P   ::)    ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 01:50:25 pm »
arghhhhhhhh!!! i would have screamed!!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 02:22:03 pm »
He was a health nut.   Planned for an early retirement, made it there and then died from cancer 6 months later.

It is big stuff like that that makes you think your part of some big joke.

But that's a tragedy. These other anecdotes are comedies.

Sorry, folks, but many of these stories made me laugh out loud. Especially Jess' -- what kind of grocery store attracts so many nutcases?! I just reread the one about the man putting his groceries in your cart and laughed all over again.

I have slipped in mud more than once. At a wedding, I slipped and dropped a full plate of food on myself. But the only "strange person does something weird to me" that comes to mind offhand is a time I was at a small gathering at a friend's. His strange neighbor stopped by. We were introduced; I'd never met this guy before. He didn't seem very bright. He kept staring at me. We were all sitting in the living room. And suddenly, with everybody listening, he loudly said from across the room, "Katherine, you reek of sex."

Yikes. I don't know exactly how he meant that -- not literally, I hope. Possibly he even meant it as a compliment, but it's not exactly the kind you want to hear. My friend threw him out.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 07:23:25 pm »
arghhhhhhhh!!! i would have screamed!!!

I think I did let out a muffled yelp, Kelda!   :o  I remembered, though, that kids at school had them as pets, so knew s/he wouldn't hurt me. Funny how we react in these situations. I remember feeling more concerned about appearing a fool in front of total strangers, rather than having any concerns about the praying mantis biting me on the ear.  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:21 pm »

I really don't have to answer that question, do I David?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You already know the answer!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 04:04:39 pm »

I really don't have to answer that question, do I David?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You already know the answer!

:-X  :-X

Don't worry Melissa. I won't say anything.  ;)

moremojo

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 04:23:05 pm »
These other anecdotes are comedies.
Comedies can become tragedies too, when, piled one after another, you realize you're the only one who isn't laughing. Embarrassment can hurt--it really can. And a long succession of embarrassments can lead to a lifetime of hurt.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:52 pm »
Comedies can become tragedies too, when, piled one after another, you realize you're the only one who isn't laughing. Embarrassment can hurt--it really can. And a long succession of embarrassments can lead to a lifetime of hurt.

I know what you mean Scott. A few days ago I was shopping with my boyfriend at Wal-Mart. There was this shopping cart sitting in the middle of the aisle filled with all kinds of things. Wal-Mart will often fill shopping carts up with miscellaneous items for the shoppers to look through; mark downs, clearance items, etc. This cart sat there for about 5 minutes, so I walked over to have a look at what was in there. Suddenly this crazy woman came around the corner and started berating me for pilferring through her things. My boyfriend was laughing so hard he was doubled over. But I wasn't. I didn't think it was funny at all. I was completely embarrassed because everyone was staring at me. So I put the items back in her cart and we got the firetruck outta there.  >:(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:07 pm »

I can understand that, Scott, and I didn't mean to make light of your situation. I was still laughing about stories like Jess' tale of the guy putting his stuff in her cart and having to sort them out for the cashier, and compared to David/Nutmeg Guy's uncle's untimely death ... well, in that case, it really is comedy vs. tragedy, IMO.

And some of the stories, while no doubt upsetting at the time, may be best looked back upon with amusement. I mean, Dottie, I bet your experience was awful at the time, but years later the tale of slipping on the traditional slapstick icon makes a good anecdote.

But Scott, the experiences that you have alluded to sound different. Though you don't go into details, I can understand why having small but hurtful episodes pile up day after day and feeling that somehow you're more subject to them than other people would cumulatively cause a lot of pain. It's like the difference between getting hit by a boulder and getting buried under a lot of smaller stones.

moremojo

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 06:00:23 pm »
Thank you for your kind words, Katherine, and I didn't feel trivialized in any way by your post. I guess I was just reflecting on how, in a comedic film, the character who slips on the banana peel wouldn't feel at all funny about the event.

But you know, I think one of the characteristics of spiritual mastery may just be the ability to laugh at the sheer absurdity of life and the world--and that your own pain and worry is just another part of that absurdity. But it takes great courage to honor and express such laughter--courage I don't have at present.