Author Topic: Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??  (Read 12533 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 08:11:21 am »
That is indeed very good - I'm impressed!  ;D But how does your car pas its MOT (or equivalent for the USA) without it working? My sister had that problem with her car and they wouldn't pass the MOT until it was finxed.

I don't think it's a requirement here in Texas.  They check emissions, lights, horn, brakes and I believe that's pretty much it.  Or, perhaps you're right, they do check whether my gas gauge works, but since it's stuck in 1/4 tank measurement, they assume it's working, but that I'm just low on gas.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:49 am »
Some years ago, I was doing my grocery shopping at the supermarket. Pushing my trolley around the isles. Minding my own business. After a while, I became aware that people were looking in my direction and laughing. At first I ignored it and pretended they were looking at someone else. It's just my old agoraphobia problem flaring up again, I told myself! They're not really laughing at me. But sure enough, they were laughing at me. Looked down at my fly. Nope, that was okay - closed-up tight. Continued on my way, trying to ignore the attention I was generating, as best I could. And then I saw it! Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a quizzical bobbing head and outstretched claws! It was the biggest praying mantis you've ever seen. And it was sitting on my shoulder, devoutly praying up a novena that would do any zealous novitiate nun proud! "Thank god," I thought, "It's only a praying mantis. I haven't grown a second head, after all!" Pretending like I knew he was there all along, and endeavouring to maintain a stoic demeanour, I made my way to the nearest exit, abandoning my purchases en route, and deposited my newly made friend in a bush by the supermarket door. I still have no idea how that praying mantis got on my shoulder. Must have brushed against him on the way to the store. Who knows? Could have been worse, I suppose. I mean, it could have been a tarantula! In which case, it wouldn't have just been embarrassment that I would have had to contend with. There would have been a small matter of my soiled britches, also!  :P   ::)    ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 01:50:25 pm »
arghhhhhhhh!!! i would have screamed!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 02:22:03 pm »
He was a health nut.   Planned for an early retirement, made it there and then died from cancer 6 months later.

It is big stuff like that that makes you think your part of some big joke.

But that's a tragedy. These other anecdotes are comedies.

Sorry, folks, but many of these stories made me laugh out loud. Especially Jess' -- what kind of grocery store attracts so many nutcases?! I just reread the one about the man putting his groceries in your cart and laughed all over again.

I have slipped in mud more than once. At a wedding, I slipped and dropped a full plate of food on myself. But the only "strange person does something weird to me" that comes to mind offhand is a time I was at a small gathering at a friend's. His strange neighbor stopped by. We were introduced; I'd never met this guy before. He didn't seem very bright. He kept staring at me. We were all sitting in the living room. And suddenly, with everybody listening, he loudly said from across the room, "Katherine, you reek of sex."

Yikes. I don't know exactly how he meant that -- not literally, I hope. Possibly he even meant it as a compliment, but it's not exactly the kind you want to hear. My friend threw him out.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 07:23:25 pm »
arghhhhhhhh!!! i would have screamed!!!

I think I did let out a muffled yelp, Kelda!   :o  I remembered, though, that kids at school had them as pets, so knew s/he wouldn't hurt me. Funny how we react in these situations. I remember feeling more concerned about appearing a fool in front of total strangers, rather than having any concerns about the praying mantis biting me on the ear.  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:21 pm »

Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??

I really don't have to answer that question, do I David?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You already know the answer!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 04:04:39 pm »
Do You Sometimes Feel Like You're "God's Biggest Joke"??

I really don't have to answer that question, do I David?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You already know the answer!

:-X  :-X

Don't worry Melissa. I won't say anything.  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 04:23:05 pm »
These other anecdotes are comedies.
Comedies can become tragedies too, when, piled one after another, you realize you're the only one who isn't laughing. Embarrassment can hurt--it really can. And a long succession of embarrassments can lead to a lifetime of hurt.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:52 pm »
Comedies can become tragedies too, when, piled one after another, you realize you're the only one who isn't laughing. Embarrassment can hurt--it really can. And a long succession of embarrassments can lead to a lifetime of hurt.

I know what you mean Scott. A few days ago I was shopping with my boyfriend at Wal-Mart. There was this shopping cart sitting in the middle of the aisle filled with all kinds of things. Wal-Mart will often fill shopping carts up with miscellaneous items for the shoppers to look through; mark downs, clearance items, etc. This cart sat there for about 5 minutes, so I walked over to have a look at what was in there. Suddenly this crazy woman came around the corner and started berating me for pilferring through her things. My boyfriend was laughing so hard he was doubled over. But I wasn't. I didn't think it was funny at all. I was completely embarrassed because everyone was staring at me. So I put the items back in her cart and we got the firetruck outta there.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:07 pm »

I can understand that, Scott, and I didn't mean to make light of your situation. I was still laughing about stories like Jess' tale of the guy putting his stuff in her cart and having to sort them out for the cashier, and compared to David/Nutmeg Guy's uncle's untimely death ... well, in that case, it really is comedy vs. tragedy, IMO.

And some of the stories, while no doubt upsetting at the time, may be best looked back upon with amusement. I mean, Dottie, I bet your experience was awful at the time, but years later the tale of slipping on the traditional slapstick icon makes a good anecdote.

But Scott, the experiences that you have alluded to sound different. Though you don't go into details, I can understand why having small but hurtful episodes pile up day after day and feeling that somehow you're more subject to them than other people would cumulatively cause a lot of pain. It's like the difference between getting hit by a boulder and getting buried under a lot of smaller stones.