Author Topic: Ugly record covers  (Read 11547 times)

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
Re: Ugly record covers
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 06:16:46 am »
Yep, those are truly tasteless. The Scorpions one wouldn't even be released today, with the high anxiety in our culture right now about the exploitation and abuse of children...similar issues now haunt the cover to Led Zeppelin's 'Houses of the Holy' (designed by Hipgnosis), and there is that one cover (for Traffic[?]--a band featuring Steve Winwood) that was controversial even in 1969/1970 and suppressed, though the design itself is rather interesting.

Yes very vulgar and crass.  But the young have always rebelled through music and the from the late 60's on album art was another method utilized  to fuel that rebellion.  I think the album you are referring to is Blind Faith's brilliant album featuring recently departed members from Cream and Traffic, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood.  It was denied major retail placement because the album cover picture displayed a prepubescent nude female.  After a recall of the album, a new cover featuring band members was reinserted and placed into a satisfied distribution system.

The young girl on the cover of The Scorpions Virgin Killer album was reported to have been the daughter of the RCA executive who came up with the concept.  What kind of father does that.
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 07:11:02 am »
A couple of pathetic attempts at being hip, slick and cool  ;)

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 07:44:54 am »
Jeez! There are some ugly and tasteless covers on this thread  :o.

I had never seen the Virgin Killers cover by the Scorpion before, but interestingly it was also a Scorpions cover that came immediately to my mind when reading the thread heading:

The forks - uuuuh
What a nightmarish pic.

moremojo

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 10:12:35 am »
I think the album you are referring to is Blind Faith's brilliant album featuring recently departed members from Cream and Traffic, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood.  It was denied major retail placement because the album cover picture displayed a prepubescent nude female.
Yes, thank you for reminding me of the band's name (I knew Steve Winwood was in there somewhere). That LP's controversial, suppressed cover has been reproduced in books about album cover art, and, whatever one may say about the use of the young model for the image, the image itself is not tasteless and is actually rather interesting in design.