Author Topic: Something good from Italy  (Read 5662 times)

TJ

Re: Something good from Italy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 10:56:01 pm »
If I use the babelfish translator program for a Spanish language webpage, I am reminded of the time when I was an undergraduate with a Spanish major. I had to make sure that the translation into English was not word for word but idiom for idiom. Some expressions in one language don't translated well into another.

That's how some of the Brokeback Mountain English expressions don't translate or interpret well with English Speaking Americans on the East Coast or the West Coast. Or sometimes from Wyoming lingo translated into Texas (where Larry McMurtry is from) or Missouri/Arizona (where Diana Ossana is from/currently lives) lingo gets misunderstood too.

I hope I made that above sentence clear.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 10:10:23 am »
Luigi, time to come back for your monthly check-in with your fellow Brokies and to accept your birthday accolades! Tho I can't blame Luigi for leaving the computer and enjoying the summer in Sardinia or wherever he is roaming to. We need a report!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:57 am »
I was wondering about Luigi too! (and Reanna!) Luigi, any chance you might join our EURO meeting in London in September? I'm recruiting..  :laugh:

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -