Author Topic: New Brokie Test of renewal!  (Read 29087 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: New Brokie Test of renewal!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:23:04 pm »

tHANKS TO ALL THE RESPONDERS///

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 01:43:34 pm »
A year later, I thought it would be fun to revisit this questionnaire:

1.    What do you consider your most lasting benefit from BBM?  Now that
       some time has elapsed, and you can reflect more unemotionally?

Both the great friends scattered around the globe, and the in-depth understanding of an amazingly complex cinematic/literary masterpiece.

2.    How many Brokies have you met in person over the last year and a half.?

Since the BBQ would be within that time frame, the answer is dozens. But since then, I think I've seen only one in person, and that's someone I had already met. So no one new.

3.    Do you now go on trips to meet up with friends from BBM?  Or do you
       wish to do so?

Yes to both.

4.    Do you still identify with the same character in the movie that you did
       at first?  Or have your thoughts changed?

I've always identified with both Jack and Ennis. But I've taken steps to become a little less Ennisy.

5.    Have you watched the movie again in the last two months.?

No.

6.    Do you have any plans to see it soon?  Within the next two months.?

No.

7.    Have you made any purchases that have to do with the movie,  
       ie...memorabilia, or special things?  Clothing, jewelry, other books, movie
       stuff.?

No.

8.    What is the one most important truth you think you have gleaned from
       your Brokie experience?

If you can fix it, you don't have to stand it.

9.     Do you feel that in any way your time here has been a waste..?  Or
        a productive road that you have gotten a lot of enjoyment and learned
        a great deal from..?

Both. I know that a lot of the time I spend here could be used more productively. But I have gotten a lot of enjoyment and learned a great deal from it.

10.   Do you think you will still be a brokie in a year from now.?  If not why
        not?

Well, a year later, here I am. I think I will always be a Brokie, though the definition of that changes with time.

11. BONUS QUESTION (added by me): When conversing with other Brokies, do you still love to sprinkle Brokieisms throughout your writing and speech?

YES! :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 07:35:50 pm »
A NEW BROKIE QUESTIONAIRE

1.    What do you consider your most lasting benefit from BBM?  Now that
       some time has elapsed, and you can reflect more unemotionally?  self-knowledge

2.    How many Brokies have you met in person over the last year and a half.? twenty-five or so  from here in DFW, WY, and MT

3.    Do you now go on trips to meet up with friends from BBM?  Or do you
       wish to do so? I go on trips with Lodge brothers

4.    Do you still identify with the same character in the movie that you did
       at first?  Or have your thoughts changed? sure, Jack had my heart right from the start

5.    Have you watched the movie again in the last two months.? about two months ago

6.    Do you have any plans to see it soon?  Within the next two months.? maybe, if someone suggests it I might fire it up tonight when some conservative campaign folks drop into my suite, to discuss the debates and drink some "punch".

7.    Have you made any purchases that have to do with the movie,   
       ie...memorabilia, or special things?  Clothing, jewelry, other books, movie
       stuff.? just some memorabilia, and books

8.    What is the one most important truth you think you have gleaned from
       your Brokie experience? we are not alone

9.     Do you feel that in any way your time here has been a waste..?  Or
        a great deal from..? absolutely not a waste of time

10.   Do you think you will still be a brokie in a year from now.?  If not why
        not? sure, the movie tapped into my own experiences, I couldn't help but be a brokie - I was one for decades and didn't have the word "brokie" to describe my feelings.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 11:08:08 pm »
Heya Janice!  Great survey Bud. :)

There are several major benefits I think.  One is just BBM itself, knowing that I have the story and the DVD here for me whenever I need it is very important to me at this stage.  The friendships that the Brokie experience has helped me develop (both in real life and online) are certainly hugely important to me.  And, the experiences I've had that were mostly unthinkable prior to BBM for me... in terms of traveling to unexpected locations and the development of unexpected interests (bull riding, etc.) are also things that I'm very grateful for.

In addition to the 70 or so folks at the BBQ last year, if my count is correct, in the last year and a half I've visited with about 15 Brokies in person.  Most of these 15 folks are people whom I'd met before at previous Brokie events or individual Brokie get-togethers.

wish to do so?

Yes, it's exciting to me to see real-life aspects of certain Brokie friendships strengthen for me based on the fact that I've been able to visit with some folks more than once at this point.  And, I certainly hope to continue to pursue opportunities for Brokie visits, even when travel is an inevitable part of it. And, of course sometimes/often the travel becomes part of the fun.

I still identify more with Ennis than with Jack as far as my own personality goes.  But, my affection and sympathy for Jack as a character has become more heightened over time, to the point where I slightly prefer Jack to Ennis (whereas before I used to try my hardest to strike a balance between the two).

Oh yes.  I watch the movie about once a month (at least).

Of course.

stuff.?

Well, in July at the rodeo in Cheyenne I bought some expensive cowgirl boots (which I love).  Prior to BBM I would never have thought of buying cowgirl boots (or going to a rodeo in Wyoming for that matter).  And, whenever I wear those boots I, of course think of BBM.  Also this summer in Seattle, I bought a copy of McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.  I still haven't read it, and I'm looking forward to it.  Again, this is a book I would probably not have thought about reading if not for BBM.

your Brokie experience?

That everything is ambiguous and you can look at anything and everything from multiple angles (and something seemingly simple on the surface can be hugely complex in terms of its meaning).

a great deal from..?

I think this has been an extremely unexpected, wonderful life changing experience.  I could never have imagined how much one film could impact my life so much (again in terms of the friendships and opportunities/experiences that have come about as a result).

not?

Of course.  I don't know how someone could stop being a Brokie.  Even if a person drifts away from the online community or something, I certainly hope that they still are or consider themselves to be a Brokie. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 02:08:57 am »
I think this has been an extremely unexpected, wonderful life changing experience.  I could never have imagined how much one film could impact my life so much (again in terms of the friendships and opportunities/experiences that have come about as a result).          

Well put, Bud.

:)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 02:30:50 am »

Looking for a forum, and finding Bettermost, where I have made some wonderful friends as well as learning from Brokies how BBM changed so many lives,

2.    How many Brokies have you met in person over the last year and a half.?

one

wish to do so?

at first?  Or have your thoughts changed?

its probably not "identify" with any particular character, but I indentify with the story and how it parallels things in my own life

5.    Have you watched the movie again in the last two months.?

Yes

6.    Do you have any plans to see it soon?  Within the next two months.?

Yes. I have an inernet friend visiting me in Australia from America in Novemeber, and she has NOT seen the movie, so I am looking forward to sitting with someone who will be watching it for the first time

stuff.?

I bought the DVD and the Book Candy, and every magazine I see with a story on Heath or Jake

your Brokie experience?

That LOVE definately IS A FORCE OF NATURE, and everyone should be entitled to have love without fear or reprisal

a great deal from..?

definately a journey of learning and enjoyment and a bond with people that I would never have had the opportunity to know if I had not loved BBM and come into Bettermost

not?

a year from now, twenty years from now.....I will always, always, be a Brokie....Brokeback sure got me good

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 08:44:20 am »
1.    What do you consider your most lasting benefit from BBM?  Now that some time has elapsed, and you can reflect more unemotionally?

Lasting benefit? New friends and of course finding this wonderful place. A re-found interest in reading and critiquing the written word, and discussing and interpreting it, and the ability to look below the surface of a story/film, a skill I'd sadly lost over the years since I finished school. On a certain level yes, it is less emotional than it used to be, and since finding Bettermost I don't feel that sense of being lost and going crazy. I still can't watch the flashback scene though when Ennis is on the phone with Lureen, and the more and more I think about the characters I realise that it was all so much of a tragedy, but perhaps the greatest tragedy is that no matter how you cut it, there was never going to be a happy ending to the story because BBM is real life, and based on the stories of real people, and the world and society is cruel and hard thing. BBM just reflects that. In that sense I guess it's more emotional, but I am better able to separate that now from my feelings towards the film.

7 I think, and nearly recruited another one.  ;)

3.    Do you now go on trips to meet up with friends from BBM?  Or do you wish to do so?

You bet! My summer 'holidays' this summer were Brokie events, and I haven't had such good times in a long time.

4.    Do you still identify with the same character in the movie that you did at first?  Or have your thoughts changed?

At first I think I probably identified more with Ennis, in that when it comes to relationships in the past I've found it difficult to do what I really feel and commit to relationships. Over time though I've come to identify probably more closely with Jack - I can out-talk Jack any day, and at heart I'm a romantic dreamer. Given a choice between doing the sensible thing and what I really want to do, I go for the impulsive what I really want to do option. I guess when it comes down to it I can understand Jack's actions better, whereas with Ennis though I can see how his upbringing and experiences made him what he was to a point, there's a point where I can't help but feel frustration over his constantly sending Jack away. I love 'em both though.

I guess what being here at Bettermost has shown me also is that there's much more to BBM than just Jack and Ennis's relationship, and that's helped me to see things from the point of view of the other characters.

Three times all the way through, and numerous times for specific scenes.

You bet!

7.    Have you made any purchases that have to do with the movie, i.e...memorabilia, or special things?  Clothing, jewelry, other books, movie stuff?

Far too many! The thud of my credit card bill landing on the doormat each month is an unfortunate reminder of that.  :laugh: My "Brokie collection" (not including boots, hats, and shirts and stuff) includes film memorabilia, photos, autographs, postcards, BBM and related books, western stuff generally, cowboy and western jewellery, and a wide selection of Wyoming related items and knick-nacks and objects. I hate to think how much I've actually spent if I added everything up together! Most of my Brokie collection currently lives in a suede covered box, but I recently bought some display boxes for putting all my stuff in. It's nice looking through my box of stuff, but a lot of it really needs displaying, and when I get round to tidying my office in the spare room up I've got the ideal location for it where I can see it all the time when I'm on my laptop on the sofa.  ;D

8.    What is the one most important truth you think you have gleaned from your Brokie experience?

There's never enough time, never enough, and life's a one shot deal and you should live for the day and not put off doing whatever it is that makes you happy and that you really feel strongly about. You only get one chance, and you have to take that chance and live life, otherwise you're liable to find yourself winding up metaphorically in a trailer with only postcards and memories.

9.     Do you feel that in any way your time here has been a waste..?  Or a productive road that you have gotten a lot of enjoyment and learned a great deal from..?

No way! I've learnt so much about the story and the film, and relearned old skills I'd forgotten, as well as making new friends and it's also taught me some things about myself as well, and prompted me to reassess things and my priorities. I said when I first found Bettermost "it feels like I've found home", and I still stand by that. Brokies just seem to be on the same wavelength on a lot of things, and I'd say this place is the most open and friendly forum online I've ever found.

10.   Do you think you will still be a brokie in a year from now.?  If not why not?

Hell yeah! You bet! Always a Brokie!

Interestingly, the other night my mum was on the phone to a friend and was explaining to her, her version of what a Brokie is and why I have a tendency to go out dressed in western gear and said, "Oh, I'm sure it's just one of those things, and she'll have found another fad by next year."  :o It's always gonna be hard explaining to non-Brokies what it's all about... *sigh*

11. BONUS QUESTION (added by me): When conversing with other Brokies, do you still love to sprinkle Brokieisms throughout your writing and speech?

You bet! Even when not conversing with other Brokies I find myself using Brokieisms!

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 10:24:34 am »

Brokeback Mountian helped me change some behaviors that I was clinging to, that were not good for me.  It helped me realize the courage I have, and I'm not as afraid to do what I need to.  On top of that, all the freindships I have now are a very positive side effect of the movie.

I don't think I can give you an exact number.  Perhaps close to 200.

wish to do so?

Oh yes, in the past 2 years I've been to twelve states, and the UK, because of Brokeback Mountain.

My thoughts have definitely changed.  I won't allow myself to be an Ennis any more.

No.

No, but that may change.

stuff.?

oh yes...I've got a few CDs, DVDs, belt buckle, 8 X 10 pics.

your Brokie experience?

Time waits for no one.

a great deal from..?

I've learned much about myself, and others.  ;D

not?

Oh yes, no reins on this one!

if you don't know the answers to all the questions...say i don't know

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:22 pm »

I think only time will tell what is the most lasting.  I don't know yet.

I've met dozens of Brokies.  In the last year and a half, it's been fewer.  I'm going to meet a Brokie tomorrow whom I've never met before.

wish to do so?

Both.  And I've had Brokies come to me too, which has been very nice.  It's hard to leave my little kid for so long for Brokie events (though I've done it four times).

at first?  Or have your thoughts changed?

I still relate to most of the characters in the movie, in various ways. 

No

Probably not

stuff.?

Yes, but not lately.

your Brokie experience?

Good memories that stoke a day are nothing to sneeze at.

a great deal from..?

I might have gotten a lot more sleep, but it's the right road for me.

not?

Yes

11. BONUS QUESTION (added by seriouscrayons): When conversing with other Brokies, do you still love to sprinkle Brokieisms throughout your writing and speech?

You bet!

Offline winterhug

• Don't Say Much
  • Wyoming!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 02:14:42 am »

1.  A better understanding of who I am and why and that has lifted my outlook on life. I still get very emotional when viewing the movie--I always want it to work out for Jack and Ennis, especially Ennis, even though I know that scenario on the screen would not have worked. I guess that's what Fan Fic is for!

2.   None.

wish to do so?

3.   No, but I did plan a trip which took me through the Big Horns, Worland, Thermopolis and Riverton.

4.   No... interesting question. I identified totally with Ennis at first, but I find myself moving across the continuum a little closer to Jack

5.   No.

6.   Not anything definite. I get out the DVD when the spirit moves me. It never gets old! That's a sign of real art I think.

stuff.?

7.   Yes, and I can't believe I did it. I bought a cowboy shirt and western hat in New Mexico. Wore them on a trip through Wyoming--the one over the Big Horns. I also found an old denim shirt of mine and put a plaid one over the top of it, threaded the sleeves through and everything. They both hang in my closet now. I am probably certifiable.

your Brokie experience?

8.   How about many truths! That love really is a force of nature. That love in any form between any two beings is so necessary in life. How ridiculous the position of the religious fundamentalists is and all those who think that love between two men is wrong. This story made it so obvious that their beliefs are totally out of sync with nature and the way God created the world. I guess all these gleanings are just expanding the idea that love is a force of nature.

a great deal from..?

9.    It lead me to BBM Fan Fic which I have enjoyed very much. There are many very talented, unpublished (except on blogs) writers. I am not looking to pal up with other brokies, but it is great to know that relationships have formed and grown from the amazing story that brings us all here.

10.   I guess that depends on how you define Brokie. If it means only that I will still visit this website, then I can't say for sure. If it means that I will always have Jack and Ennis in my heart and mind and spirit, then that is a forever thing and will only die with me or my consciousness--the answer is YES, year after year after year after year...

[/quote]
To talk is one thing... to say something is another.