Author Topic: Ennis, Cassie and the Twists (revised title)  (Read 27296 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What Ennis says about Cassie. (from TOB)
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 09:15:42 pm »
You are so right, silk
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »
David & Latjjoreme

More than that - the way she treated Ennis; the look of understanding AND joy (?) that he couldn't 'eat no cake right now,' the gentle hand on his shoulder @ that potentially devastating moment, the way she kept her sons room, her nudge of Ennis towards the room - she knew he didn't have a place to be with Jack's ashes, but he had his moment alone there in that room, the slight smile & nod of acknowledgement when he came down w/ the shirts, when she asked Ennis - the last link to her son - to come back and see them again.

Because of all that, I know that she, when Jack mentioned 'the Rancher' knew that that man meant little to nothing to her son.  I absolutely believe that she just knew.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 11:05:46 pm »
I'd like to think that when old man Twist kicks the bucket, that Ma Twist sends Ennis a post card (General Delivery of course) to Ennis.     She's make him an offer.   If he were to move up to Lightning Flat and run the ranch for her that she'd leave him the place in her will.    Ennis is after all, her only connection to Jack.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 01:19:39 am »
More than that - the way she treated Ennis; the look of understanding AND joy (?) that he couldn't 'eat no cake right now,' the gentle hand on his shoulder @ that potentially devastating moment, the way she kept her sons room, her nudge of Ennis towards the room - she knew he didn't have a place to be with Jack's ashes, but he had his moment alone there in that room, the slight smile & nod of acknowledgement when he came down w/ the shirts, when she asked Ennis - the last link to her son - to come back and see them again.

Because of all that, I know that she, when Jack mentioned 'the Rancher' knew that that man meant little to nothing to her son.  I absolutely believe that she just knew.

I completely agree with all of this.  She really is almost pushing Ennis when she's inviting/telling Ennis to go up to Jack's room.  She leaves her hand on Ennis's shoulder and seems to be leaning on him ever so slightly.

So, I have a big question about the Lightning Flat scene (sorry that this is a bit off topic from the Cassie theme of the thread).  When Ennis comes downstairls holding the shirts bundled up... We all know that he walks by Old Man Twist... and just tonight I noticed that there's a black and white picture on the wall next to Ennis as he walks towards Jack's Mom.  Can anyone enhance this detail?  I can't quite tell what it's a picture of... or whether it's even a photo of Jack.  It would make sense that his folks (especially his Mom) would have a photo of him.  I would find this interesting if it is a picture of Jack since many people have noted how sad it is that Ennis doesn't have a photo of him to grieve over or keep for his little shrine in the closet.  I hope I'm not completely imagining this detail.  But, I really think it's something I hadn't noticed before.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

TJ

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 02:31:04 am »

In the photo above, that seems to be an old B&W picture of a woman.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 11:15:17 am »
Amanda -

I would think that there would be some photos of Jack somewhere in the house.  Too bad Ennis didn't ask for one...maybe his dreams (day & night) were enough.

David - Well that house would certainly be better than that trailer we last see him in.

I feel as I suspect you do, although invited (almost pleadingly), I don't think Ennis went back to that house - not unless he knew John Twist was no longer there.

(We  should have started a new thread about this scene as it has moved quite away from Cassie!)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 11:35:27 am »
He dislikes himself so much that he can't imagine anyone finding it "fun" to be with him.  When she says that, I think he realizes that Jack found being with him fun, so to speak, because he loved him.
I totally agree with this! But I have a question (and I forget how it is in the short story), but has Ennis actually 'consumed' his affair with Cassie? I mean, when you see the film, it's not even clear, whether they have ever slept together. Or is it?

I keep thinking about the fact, that Ennis lost his virginity to Jack, then married Alma, had two chidren, continued his relationship with Jack, divorced Alma, kept seeing Jack until Jack's death. No relationship after that (of course we don't know, but that's how the film ends). To me it looks like in his whole life, Ennis has only ever been together with Alma and Jack. I just can't see him in a sexual relationship with Cassie at all (but that's maybe wishful thinking, because I don't like the Cassie character at all..  :-\).

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis, Cassie and the Twists (revised title)
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 11:58:11 am »
Hi Jude,

Consumated you mean?     Yeah, he did.    Remember he told Jack he was "Putting the Blocks" to her.

Now I'm taking a guess, but isn't that a cattle reference?.   Don't they put a cow in blocks so the bull can come up behind and impregnate her?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 12:07:18 pm »
Hi Jude,

Consumated you mean?     Yeah, he did.    Remember he told Jack he was "Putting the Blocks" to her.

Now I'm taking a guess, but isn't that a cattle reference?.   Don't they put a cow in blocks so the bull can come up behind and impregnate her?

It might be a horse breeding reference if not cattle, or maybe they use "blocks" for both.

And that icky wine that he uses to toast Junior's coming marriage is a relic of Cassie.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 12:15:41 pm »
And it must be really icky by then, if it's been sitting open in his fridge since the last time she was over. People who see the movie without reading the story must be surprised -- Ennis doesn't seem the white wine type.

I assume he did consumate it with Cassie. They dated long enough that I think she would have wondered if he didn't. But I guess I don't mind that; I like Cassie!