Author Topic: Bettermost Open House - Friday August 24, 2007  (Read 6276 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Bettermost Open House - Friday August 24, 2007
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:38 pm »
Hey everyone,

For our writers and readers, the Fanfiction & Poetry and Creative Writers Corner will both be participating in the Open House. Join us "on the board" --this will be the place--at 1pm EDT (1800 UTC) to discuss all things creative. Both of us will also be in the dedicated fanfiction chat room at that time for folks you want to participate in a live chat.

The open house is a progressive dinner party and we are the first item on the menu: appetizers! Ellery and Colson will have mini tacos and nachos with guacamole. What do others want to share? Bring photos and recipes, if you want!

Hope to see lots of familiar faces...and lots of new ones, too!

Leslie and Louise
Moderators, Fanfiction and Creative Writers
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:14:57 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Bettermost Open House - Friday August 24, 2007
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:19:53 pm »
Thanks very kindly for the hospitality! I will help myself to a mini taco and will browse around here. I am a writer by trade, but not all that creative. I mostly write nonfiction, but I do have two novels started. The novels are just for fun though. When I was in Alberta, I met Rayn, who is a poet and teacher, and he gave me a copy of his latest book Of One and Many Worlds. I have been enjoying reading it and rediscovering poetry.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:26:47 pm »
That's great, Lee.

Louise posted a link to her poetry on LiveJournal--on this board. She has been helping me to become more conversant with poetry as it has never been my strong suit.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 01:28:11 pm »
Actually, Lee (and anyone else who is around)...

I am reading a new book which I am enjoying very much. "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan. It is a historical fiction that takes place in 1907-1914 and details the very passionate love affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney.

It is very well written and Horan's debut novel.

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:34:41 pm »
That sounds very interesting. I love historical fiction!! My favorites are the stories of Tracy Chevalier, such as Girl with a Pearl Earring and The Lady and the Unicorn. I also really loved The Birth of Venus by Sarah Duvant. One of the novels I am writing now has a historic section set in ancient Greece.

I suck at poetry too but last year I had to help my son with his English homework. He had to critique a lot of poetry and I enjoyed helping him very much. I think I learned more than he did!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 01:36:28 pm »
This book is brand new. I saw a review in the New York Times and ordered it off amazon. Sat down to read last night and buzzed through half the book in a few hours!

Ancient Greece, huh? Sounds interesting. Care to share more?

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:38:43 pm »
I'm always on the look-out for new books.  I'll look that up, Leslie. 

Oh, and The Birth of Venus was brilliant!

Anyone ever read any of Dorothy Dunnett's works? 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline opinionista

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 01:41:27 pm »
Hi everyone!

Those mini tacos are delicious! I'm currently reading (when I have time) a non fiction book about a trip to Africa done by a spanish journalist. I'm not sure if it is translated into English but it is very good. In spanish, the title is: El sueño de Africa: en busca de los mitos blancos del continente negro (Africa's dream: The search of white myths within the black continent) by Javier Reverte.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 01:44:51 pm »
I'm always on the look-out for new books.  I'll look that up, Leslie. 

Oh, and The Birth of Venus was brilliant!

Anyone ever read any of Dorothy Dunnett's works? 

Marie

Dorothy Dunnett? No. What has she written?

I was actually thinking of going back and re-reading "The Weight of Water" by Anita Shreve, another historical fiction. Anyone here read that?

Oh...and welcome, Natali! Glad to have you here!

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 01:54:28 pm »
My favorite series by Dunnett is "The Lymond Chronicles" - a lot of people have a hard time getting into it - she has a unique style, but once you get into her rhythm of her prose, they are fascinating!

I do like Anita Shreve. 

Natali, the title of that book alone sounds interesting.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:59:52 pm »
I believe the next round of the open house is in the open forum...but please feel free to hang around here and continue to discuss books or whatever. I'll be around!

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:01 pm »
Oh, I almost forgot that I brought some food here, too - hope it's not too late for appetizers.

An oldie, but a goodie:

Edna's Zucchini Appetizers

3 cups thinly sliced unpeeled zucchini (4 small)
1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. 
2. Stir together all ingredients. Spread in pan.
3. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 2-inch squares; cut squares diagonally in half into triangles. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 02:31:13 pm »
Ah yum, Marie. Perfect for this time of year when folks have plenty of zucchini in their garden, too!

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:32:50 pm »
Boy, am I glad I came back to retrive my cowboy hat that I left here. These appetizers are so yummy!! I've been wondering what to do with some leftover Bisquick in my pantry, and my daughter planted a whole bunch of zuccini before she left for Ireland, so this recipe comes in very handy!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »
Yep, it's getting to be that time of year - zucchini appetizers, zucchini bread, stuffed zucchini.....

Marie