Author Topic: which scene made you cry ?  (Read 23304 times)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
Re: which scene made you cry ?
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 09:20:03 pm »
The tears definitely start for me at the dozy embrace flashback scene.  Can't make it through that yet without getting teary eyed.  It gets progressively worse as Ennis talks to Lureen and how he pauses afterwards with the telephone receiver on his mouth.  The tears then proceed into crocdile tears as Ennis is buttoning that shirt.  I can't stand it!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
There are many tender moments in the movie for me. 

The first that struck a watershed of tears is the second tent scene, Ennis finally giving into to his longing and the loneliness of years melting away in Jack's embrace.  That moves me.  I don't know why except that I know how that feels.

Peace,
Rayn

Rayn, your whole post is wonderful, but these lines moved me most.

I watched my BBM dvd tonight. This must have been my 11th or 12th viewing in all -  I have stopped counting -  but as I hadn't watched in weeks, I found that I was as deeply hit as on my second viewing in the theater. Yes, second, not first.
On my first viewing, I had the book on my mind too much. I WAS hit in a major way especially 20 minutes after I left the theater, and then for days on end, but thought: " I must go back and take another good look at this movie!". And a week later, the second viewing just floored me.
Like tonight. And yet I have come a long way in my personal life since that first and second viewing almost 6 months ago. I now know why this film hit me so deeply, and how I can "finish the story" in real life...
But still I started crying tonight come tent scene2, and never stopped till the end.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2006, 02:14:48 pm »
One of the saddest is, but not often mentioned is when Jack says "Time to get going cowboy". The end of their time on Brokeback.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:17:02 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2006, 03:13:26 pm »
Always the flashback scene. It did the first time I seen it and still does.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2006, 11:22:19 pm »
Ennis listens to a homophobic joke on the radio? "You're not gonna get this from your Caddie?" What are these? Explain please!

I agree with atz when she said it's, in a way, kind of nice to cry in BBM. I've cried literally 1000s of tears for this movie, most of the time hysterically, but in a way, it is a nice outlet for my emotions.

I cried in the second tent scene. It's sooo beautiful and touching.
I was upset when they left Brokeback and Ennis cried in the alley, the poor thing.
I cried for Alma when Ennis and Jack reunited and she discovered their secret.

I cried hard during the campfire scene halfway through when Ennis talks about Earl's death and after they realize their relationship can never amount to anything, Jack reaches over and tenderly brushes Ennis' face... That was so sweet.

The post-divorce scene is depressing as is when Ennis gets beaten up outside the bar and then you see them silently riding horses together. Those last two scenes really kick my ass because I really start to sense time passing by in their lives and the better days in 1963 are, at that point, a sweet memory... (Cries.)

Then I got all choked up during the "Sometimes I miss you so much..." scene and again and again, I've lost it during the lakeside confrontation. That scene kills me. The flashback is equally wrenching. I sniffle through the Cassie scene in the bus station but it has become even more devastating to me now, considering that in this scene, Ennis realizes he's in love with Jack.

Phone call. Oh, God, this scene is powerful and upsetting. "He said it was his favorite place..." -- sorry if that's paraphrased incorrectly -- is a gut-wrenching and haunting line.
The entire Lightening Flat scene is devastatingly powerful and I bawl through all these scenes, the final scene in Ennis' trailer, all the way through the credits, and the last time I watched this movie, a couple times over the following days...

Seriously, you'd think I was conscious during an amputation -- that's how hysterically I react to the heartbreaking scenes in this movie.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 04:08:32 am »
One of the saddest is, but not often mentioned is when Jack says "Time to get going cowboy". The end of their time on Brokeback.

What makes Ennis, Ennis, is all that undercurrent of emotion, feelings he can't connect with or express willingly.   Ennis isn't as self directed as Jack because he can't always direct his strongest feelings.  It's a weakness that controls the direction his life takes.

Yes, the "Time to git gonin..." scene is sad, especially for Ennis.   He's sitting up there not wantin' to leave, that was clear when he responded to Jack's news with feeling that they were being cheated out of a whole month's pay, but it's way more than money that Ennis is upset about. 

He's sulking on the hill like he's been hurt.  He is hurt because he doesn't want to leave the magic of Brokeback with Jack, and in a larger way, he is hurt by the course his life takes with Jack.  He's hurt and healed, he's blessed and cursed at the same time by the course his life takes with Jack. 

He is hurt because he is crippled by internal homophobia and the awful dread that he might be killed on account of how he feels for Jack.  His fear becomes so acute in the end that he reveals feelings that are rather paranoid, feeling like people "know" or are "looking at him like they know".   But he is also saved by what he feels for Jack and by doing what he can to stay with Jack inspite of his fears.  Had he never known Jack, he might never have known love, he might never have known how loveable he is and the web of knots in his heart, his sadness, fear and isolation might have remained all his life. 

I believe that the realization of Jack's love for him will be enough to free him, carry him through the rest of his life and maybe even make it possible to love again later on.   I like to think that at least, because I really like Ennis and want to imagine him getting better.   He deserves better in life...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:12:39 am by Rayn »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2006, 06:15:10 pm »
I... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Um. I mean, I just watched the movie again after about a six week break.

Aw, f***.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2006, 06:30:31 pm »
I... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Um. I mean, I just watched the movie again after about a six week break.

Aw, f***.

Yeah, me too, watched it last week, after a break of about a month......

Still tugs at my gut.....but after it was over I went back and replayed over and over, the reunion scene.....i still cant get over how powerful that was......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2006, 06:31:35 pm »
I hear ya.   I have watched my DVD a few times, but seldom the entire thing in one sitting anymore.    I just want to turn it off befe the last lake scene.  

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2006, 04:02:45 pm »
Bump for people who see the movie for the first time on HBO, and maybe haven't managed to cry yet...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.