Author Topic: Tell ya folks: I've been to Wyomin'!  (Read 8836 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Tell ya folks: I've been to Wyomin'!
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:44:46 pm »
Hi folks,
just back from a wonderful trip to Denver and the heart of Wyoming, and have huge difficulties in returning to real life. It's been truly an experience: first I had a chance to meet two great Brokies, FrontRanger and EdelMar, spending a lovely evening with them feasting on rattlesnake (believe me, we did) and buffalo steak, then travelling around town on Ennis' original truck. It was simply out of this world...
Then my trip to the "wide open spaces" began and I was able to explore at least a part of Wyoming on my own: travelling from Cody to TenSleep (or Signal as it was renamed in the novel and film) it was a trip in itself. Nothing else but wide open spaces around me, and on the way there, while crossing the town of Greybull, the radio was broadcasting just guess... Roger Miller in "King of the road", which prompted me to start singin' along!
Following EdelMar suggestions I went uphill beyond TenSleep up to Meadowlark Lake, where the road to the top of the original Brokenback Mountain begins: sorry it was already too late to get up there, but that was kind of enough to satisfy my soul, at least for now.
Then my trip brought me through the Yellowstone Park the long but beautiful way, via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway: grey and red mountains covered with forests gradually took over from prairies, and every single moment made me think about the places Annie Proulx had so beautifully described in the novel. I could now feel and touch what I had read, and every single feeling and emotion I had felt was now completely tangible. And the sky was so blue, with picture-perfect clouds placed in it, I could have been staring at them forever.
But it was probably on top of Signal Mountain, crossing into the Grand Teton National Park, that I probably felt the strongest feeling of being deep into the story. Below me the plains of Wyoming running east to Dubois and Riverton, and west to the Grand Tetons, with their majestic peaks. No other sounds but the wind gently blowing and cicadas, while the aspens were showing off their skills with their moving foliage lulled by the breeze. I felt as if that idyllic landscape was really "my" place. Tell you: I was moved by all this beauty, and had difficulties in leaving the place, but ... we have never enough time, never enough! And for me it was time to go.
My "emotional journey" ended in Jackson Hole, a very nice place but a bit too much a tourist destination: then it was back to Europe. Like a flash my dream was over, and I had to leave the land of Ennis and Jack. But I know the journey continues, and will continue throughout my everyday experience. I will re-read Close Range (not only BBM but also the other short novels in the book) and of course re-watch our beloved movie, sure that now more and more details will be clearer to me.
Luigi

They were two friends of mine

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Tell ya folks: I've been to Wyomin'!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:20:37 pm »

Thank you so much for retelling your story to us here...It was great to see and visit the places
along with you.  I am so glad you had such a memorable time, and was touched by the beautiful landscapes.                                                                                                janice

Beautiful mind

Offline luigival

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:56:15 am »

Thank you so much for retelling your story to us here...It was great to see and visit the places
along with you.  I am so glad you had such a memorable time, and was touched by the beautiful landscapes.                                                                                                janice
I really was, and that feeling of longing still lingers around me. Maybe the spirit of Ennis and Jack...

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:40:17 am »
Beautiful, Luigi.  Folks might not know - You're a Brokie and BetterMostian from way back.  Glad that you treated yourself to that experience, and took us with you.  :)  Did you take pictures?

Offline luigival

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:57:33 am »
Beautiful, Luigi.  Folks might not know - You're a Brokie and BetterMostian from way back.  Glad that you treated yourself to that experience, and took us with you.  :)  Did you take pictures?
Hi Elle, and great hearing from you! Yes I did take plenty of pictures, but in slide format - I usually travel with two cameras, my old Nikon F70 and a smaller Coolpix, and for my travel shots aIways still keep to the old "chemical" way of using colour slides: I prefer the quality and texture of images. I will have them developed in a week and will try to have some of them in a digital format as well so that can post a few here.
Landscapes were absolutely, breathtakingly, and sometimes painfully beautiful! I was staring to them speechless, only the wind blowing and the forces of nature. GREAT! Loved every moment of it, and already looking forward to replicate sometimes in the future, maybe trying to include Lightning Flat and Devils Tower next time...
Luigi

Offline luigival

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 12:08:04 pm »

And as promised, thanks to David's suggestions, and hopefully to Elle's delight, here's the first of a series of images I took during my WY. trip.
Right now entering TenSleep, aka Signal, after having driven for almost three hours from Cody via Greybull, Manderson and Worland. The excitement of getting there was great, you bet... too bad I was unable to locate Aguirre's trailer, but nevertheless it was already too late in the summer to get a job up on Broke(n)back! Had ice cream and a few postcards at Dirty Sally's instead...

Offline luigival

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 03:30:28 am »

And then, past TenSleep, I drove uphill on the winding road leading to Meadowlark Lake. Somewhere, around there to my right, was the Mountain. It was already 5.30pm and I had to get back to Cody, so didn't have much time left to venture offroad. Neither I had a detailed map to show me which dirt road led to the Brokenback Mountain summit, but I was happy enough I had been able to make it very near to my target, and promised to myself I wouldl come back and make it up there someday.
The scenery was rugged and grand, and Meadowlark Lake seemd a very peaceful place.

Offline luigival

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 03:39:36 am »

The next day, following EdelMar suggestions, I headed from Cody to Yellowstone via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. This picture lets you understand why it's called "scenic". I took it from the top of Dead Indian Pass: a cold wind was blowing and the scenery was stunning, overlooking the Beartooth Mountains and the Absaroka Range.

Offline luigival

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 03:47:10 am »

Past Dead Indian Pass, I faced this amazing mountain and view. The light too was perfect for taking a picture, reminding me scenes from the movie. Can anyone identify the place, though I suspect it was called Table Mountain.

Offline luigival

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 03:56:32 am »

Almost three hours after having left Cody I crossed into Montana (Cooke City) and then entered the Yellowstone Park through Silver Gate, and found myself back to Wyoming. Half an hour later, driving along the Soda Butte Creek plain, a herd of buffalos crossed my way. That was amazing, and as soon as I had passed them I took this shot while driving.
I love it. It reminds me of another very familiar scene: just substitute Ennis for the buffalos and you'll see why!

Offline luigival

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 09:39:11 am »

..and here's another image of the Absarokas - I believe - I forgot to post

Offline luigival

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:43:55 am »

Once travelling through the Yellowstone Park, places out of this World like this one were quite commonplace. It took me a day of driving to get to the southern part of the Park and into the...

Offline luigival

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 09:51:25 am »

...Grand Teton National Park! This picture - sorry for the only partial upload of the image - was taken on top of Signal Mountain and shows Mt. Moran and Jackson Lake. It was there that I probably felt the most touching feelings: everything was perfect. The view, the breeze, the sun, the place. That was "my" place...

Offline luigival

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 09:58:31 am »

... and looking South you had the plains, towards Jackson Hole, and rolling east - to the left in the picture - the way to Dubois, and further beyond to Riverton.

Offline luigival

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 10:05:56 am »

And finally, a lonesome tree, standing in the plain under a perfect Wyoming sky. A symbol, and my gift to all the lonely travellers that span the globe in search of themselves. Thanks for sharing my journey in the land of Ennis and Jack.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 11:21:00 am »
And finally, a lonesome tree, standing in the plain under a perfect Wyoming sky. A symbol, and my gift to all the lonely travellers that span the globe in search of themselves. Thanks for sharing my journey in the land of Ennis and Jack.

Thank you for sharing, Luigi!  You had such a wonderful trip, and those pictures say it all.  Wyoming is a truly beautiful place.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline luigival

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 06:07:35 am »
Thank you for sharing, Luigi!  You had such a wonderful trip, and those pictures say it all.  Wyoming is a truly beautiful place.  8)
Glad you liked the images Meryl. I am trying to post a few more, though the vast majority I have are on slide format... I'm quite a traditionalist in this field.
This one was taken at Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone. A bit eerie, but beautiful place.

Offline luigival

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 06:17:16 am »
And here's another view of Jackson Lake and Mount Moran

Offline luigival

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 07:13:50 am »

Finally, one more shot of beloved TenSleep, where it all began. To the left - where the US flag hangs - is Dirty Sally's, best place around for savouring the locale. Right across there is the main road leading to Worland (to the left) or the Big Horns and Brokenback Mountain (to the right). Ciao!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 03:37:42 pm »
This one was taken at Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone. A bit eerie, but beautiful place.

This IS eerie. But what a great photograph.
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. There's never enough WY pics, never enough.

Offline luigival

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 01:22:59 pm »
This IS eerie. But what a great photograph.
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. There's never enough WY pics, never enough.
Right, Penthesilea, never enough Wyoming pictures, never enough, and the real thing is even better. I oughta get back there...as soon as I can

Offline luigival

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 04:26:04 pm »

And finally here's a (rare) picture of the photographer, this time being himself photographed by the occasional passer-by...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 10:49:27 pm »

And finally here's a (rare) picture of the photographer, this time being himself photographed by the occasional passer-by...

My favourite! And look how perfectly it fits in the window! So nice to see the photographer!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 04:00:10 pm »
Thank you so much, Luigi!! Great pictures! :D

Offline luigival

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 08:04:27 am »
Thank you so much, Luigi!! Great pictures! :D
T'was my pleasure Pipedream, and hapy to see you loved'em! Those places were magnificent indeed, so it wasn't difficult at all to catch gorgeous shots...