Author Topic: Black Hats, White Hats  (Read 61555 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Black Hats, White Hats
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2014, 03:05:01 am »
So, I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard this? 

No, I've never heard of this. Which doesn't mean much.

And, I also wonder if it is the case... if it could have some interesting ramifications for BBM?  I'll have to go back and watch the movie to see if and when various characters lose their hats (or keep their hats in improbable moments).

Scenes from the top of my head:

- the angry tussle; here both of their hats get knocked off.

- Jack's hat gets knocked off in the heat of the reunion scene.

- Ennis' hat gets not knocked off when he beats up the bikers

- but it does years later, when he gets beat up by the truck driver

- both of their hats do not get knocked off at the end of the lake scene argument (damn you, Ennis), which seems odd to me. Well, not Jack's, but Ennis' hat should come off the way/angle he clings to Jack.

- does Ennis' hat get knocked off when he falls off his horse as he encounters the bear? I think yes, but not sure.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2014, 03:08:29 am »
- does Ennis' hat get knocked off when he falls off his horse as he encounters the bear? I think yes, but not sure.

Nope, it doesn't, which is again odd.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:57 pm »
Thanks for all these observations Chrissi!!  It seems like this actually might be a significant issue.  It's amazing how new angles of analysis can still emerge after all these years.  It does seem like they keep their hats in moments when they are meant to be particularly sympathetic.
 :D

i wonder how this issue relates to female characters?  I keep thinking of the barrel racing scene with Lureen where her hat flies off and Jack gets it for her.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2014, 01:38:16 am »
Paul brought up another example where they keep their hats off, even though it seems against probability:

Interesting that only Ennis is wearing the hat; must have been very difficult to film the dozy embrace without knocking off each other's hats!

But if you ask me, it's purely for the looks in that scene, I don't see any other significance in the fact that they keep their hats on other that it looks simply glorious.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:11 am »
Paul brought up another example where they keep their hats off, even though it seems against probability:

But if you ask me, it's purely for the looks in that scene, I don't see any other significance in the fact that they keep their hats on other that it looks simply glorious.
I think the hats were left on to reinforce the fact that  they are cowboys (I know - sheep hearders - but still).
Cowboys are such an integral part of American folklore.
A fact that no doubt makes it more provoking to some, too.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:43 am »
Interesting that only Ennis is wearing the hat; must have been very difficult to film the dozy embrace without knocking off each other's hats!

I have to agree that the hats were left on for the effect/purpose of reinforcing they were cowboys, and yes, the dozy embrace had to be difficult with the hats.   I speak from experience.

:laugh:

That was from the Colorado gathering.  Jari does not have a hat.  I have seen video from a different angle, and before this pose was achieved, Jari's arm kept resting on the brim, causing the hat to pop up.   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2014, 10:17:20 am »
Coincidentally, I saw one of Fritz's videos on fb yesterday:  it was from Estes Park, and in it, Adam and Rodney were recreating the Dozy Embrace.  Rodney even commented on how hard it is to do when both are wearing hats!  Especially, he said, because Jake and Heath are similar in height.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:08 am »
BTW, here is the photo from opera rehearsals where only Ennis wears the (black) hat: