Author Topic: Black Hats, White Hats  (Read 61018 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Black Hats, White Hats
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2006, 12:20:44 pm »
I must say, with all the good natured humor I can muster, I never saw anything but boots, jeans, shirts, vests, jackets and hats in all the clothes people wore in the movie.  Just clothes is all I saw. 

I paid closer attention to when Jack or Ennis had no clothes on than to what color hat either of them wore, but I will admit, Lureen looked hot in her red cowgirl hat and she was HOT, but I didn't come away thinkin' her red hat symbolized her fiery love for Jack.  I guess I'm just not that into clothes or somethin'...   (Smirk)

Ok, I'm teasin' you all now, come on...     ;D
Rayn

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2006, 01:34:41 pm »
He's wearing the light gray jacket in the scene were he gets the postcard, too. And he also wears it in the trailer scene with Alma jr.
He wears it from the pie scene on (directly after the flashback and the one shot of Jack) through the entire rest of the movie: pie scene, receiving the postcard, phone call, Twist home, sticking numbers on the mailbox outside the trailer, Junior arriving, inside the trailer, up to "Jack, I swear".

Do we see Ennis in that light grey jacket before Jack's death? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Hmmm...
I believe, before Jack's death we see him only in brown jackets, after Jack's death in only in a grey one.

What about the pie scene? Is Jack already dead at this point? Maybe the grey jacket indicates that.
"Ennis didn't know about the accident for months..." (from story). At the pie scene neither Ennis nor the audience know about Jack's death, but maybe the pie scene takes place in one of the months Ennis doesn't know about it, but it already had happened.

Any thoughts, someone?

but he does wear the tan jacket on this trip to Lightning Flat, right? I'll have to watch the dvd again, but I'm sure that it was tan, when he came out of the house with the paper bag, mirroring what he wore at the beginning of the movie.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2006, 02:45:02 pm »
but he does wear the tan jacket on this trip to Lightning Flat, right? I'll have to watch the dvd again, but I'm sure that it was tan, when he came out of the house with the paper bag, mirroring what he wore at the beginning of the movie.

No, I'm sorry, Star. He wears the grey jacket at Lighnting Flat, not the tan one. He wears always the grey jacket from the pie scene on for the entire rest of the movie.

Click to enlarge and look:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:49:05 pm by Penthesilea »

TJ

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2006, 06:36:12 pm »
Unless a person involved with the movie has put in writing that a particular color coordination agenda, or the "Black Hats, White Hats" thing, was actually used with the movie, all we can do is discuss our own theories about it.

If I still lived in North Hollywood, CA, I might ask someone whom I know would be in show business to find out for me. I did have actor friends in LA and even knew some guys who were executives in Movie Studios.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2006, 09:53:07 pm »
Wow, Katherine!  I'm certainly glad you watched the movie again!  Great observation of details.  I love the idea that the jacket-shirt-no shirt transitions are significant in showing the boys getting closer, more comfortable and intimate - or conversely pulling away.  And, I do also like the idea of Ennis going back and forth in his emotional confusion re: both Jack and the women in his life.  I've never thought to look at the other clothes in Ennis's final closet.  But, you're right.  They must be important.  I say this because the clothes in Jack's Lightning Flat closet all seem to be important (in addition to the main shirts).  The boots (even in Proulx) are supposed to be boots that draw Ennis in and he thinks he recognizes them.  The furry/wool collar on one of Jack's jackets must remind Ennis of the flashback caress/ Jack's Brokeback jacket (although it's a different jacket hanging there... are the colors blue and red?  I can't quite recall).  And, the most important item in Jack's closet is the shirt or jacket that keeps swinging once Ennis has fondled it.  When we see Ennis kneeling down that jacket or shirt (I can't tell which) seems to be pushing or urging Ennis on to look in the secret nook.  A subtle suggestion of Jack's ghost perhaps...

More ideas about colors, hats, etc.:
I know this has been discussed either on a board long ago and far, far way or maybe even here (sorry, I haven't re-read this whole thread tonight) that Jack's sudden transition into purples and muted red colors after the post-divorce fiasco may have something to do with the metaphor of a bruise.  I know it's been discussed that these are the colors of blood (both wet and dry) and indicate not only his somewhat brokenheart from this point on, but also his hidden secret about the blood soaked shirts in his closet.  Kind of a lovely thought actually.

Also, it seems important that Jack reverts to a black cowboy hat in the argument scene.  It's a rather large, maybe *Texas* size hat actually.  I think no matter how many shifts in hat color he went with in the middle of the movie, we and certainly Ennis think of him as a black-hatted cowboy (black sheep).

I've always wondered why Ennis stops wearing cowboy hats.  Ang Lee has said he was expecting Ennis to carry the weight of the "western" genre and mood (which I think he does do).  But, given this I think it's very odd that he stops wearing cowboy hats... in a gradual way as has been pointed out.  I don't know what to make of this.  And, I've never liked his smaller hats for some reason.

It's probably been said too many times.  But, the colors of brown (predominantly for Ennis) and blue for Jack correspond with their nature symbols (earth and air/water).  I quite love this too.

Oh my, there's a lot to think about in this thread!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2006, 10:16:04 pm »
I know this has been discussed either on a board long ago and far, far way or maybe even here (sorry, I haven't re-read this whole thread tonight) that Jack's sudden transition into purples and muted red colors after the post-divorce fiasco may have something to do with the metaphor of a bruise.  I know it's been discussed that these are the colors of blood (both wet and dry) and indicate not only his somewhat brokenheart from this point on, but also his hidden secret about the blood soaked shirts in his closet.  Kind of a lovely thought actually.

actually the blood color showed up even earlier than that. we first see it on Jack when he goes back to Aguirre's trailer. We see it on him, even as he shows up for the reunion. Although both times, they weren't shirts. The first was a sweater, and the second was a vest. Still they did really stand out as color shifts.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 10:29:09 pm »
Good point starlightboard.  Maybe the bruise colors have their root in Jack's actual bruise...  The big bruise from Ennis's punch before their parting on Brokeback.  I don't think it matters what kind of clothing the bruise color is on... it just becomes associated with Jack generally.  The dark blue of the parka is also a sort of bruise color when you think about it.  So, it relates to both of his metaphors... bruised/ love (if blue is thought of as the color of love in the movie).

These colors (black, blue, purple, muted red, etc.) are associated with Jack like the bright red and clear white start out as Lureen's colors.  Many people  have noted that her reds and whites become more muted and subtle as time passes and then finally in the phone-call scene her shirt is black and white (with red on her fingers). She's like a fire that has been reduced to ashes and smoldering cinders.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2006, 07:26:29 pm »
OK, so a conversation in another thread got me thinking about black and white hats again.  So, I thought I'd come here and post on-topic.  Last night I noticed a new, great black-hat moment in the background behind Ennis.  Forgive me if this was mentioned here somewhere before (I haven't re-read this thread all the way through tonight).  But, in the scene where he first meets Cassie and they're sitting in chairs opposite one another to introduce themselves (and Cassie tries to get a foot rub)... there's a guy in a black hat smack in between them but in the background of the bar.  There are a number of black-hatted guys in the bar in that scene.  More visualization of what's on Ennis mind.
 :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2006, 09:59:58 pm »
In the Double Meanings thread there's a discussion going on about the significance of the bus station scene with Ennis and Cassie.  As we've all discussed there's quite a lot of interesting black hat/ white hat action going on in the background of this scene.  Most noticeably with the two guys (one in a black hat and one in a white hat) who buy bus tickets together in the background and leave.  But, at this point I'd like to discuss another black hatted figure that appears briefly towards the beginning of this scene.  Through the window we see a figure in a black jacket and a black hat walk quickly from left to right passed the bus station.  This figure does not seem to enter the bus station, only walks by.  I've been seeing that figure as more and more of an ominous sign that Jack really has already died by this point in the movie.  That figure seems like a little sign that "Jack has left the movie..." so to speak.  That black hatted figure reminds me of the white hatted figure that walks behind Ennis as he has his last conversation with Jack next to Jack's truck at the end of the Brokeback summer.  That white hatted figure has always seemed like a sign that Ennis is trying to find some way to disconnect with Jack and return to his conventional plans.  Of course we all know that this is very much against what his heart is telling him (hence the dry heaves and the crying).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2006, 11:03:25 pm »
Thanks for reinvigorating this thread, Amanda, because there's something I've been thinking about and wanted to mention. Unfortunately, it's not about hats, though.

Back to clothes: in the swingset scene, Ennis is wearing a tan vest with a red lining -- he's back with Alma, but keeping his love (symbolized by the red) hidden and close under his regular tan. And if I'm not mistaken, Jack is wearing a vest like that in the reunion kiss scene. Not sure -- I am going to try to watch it one more time tomorrow, so I'll check.