Author Topic: Black Hats, White Hats  (Read 61520 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Black Hats, White Hats
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2006, 05:48:44 pm »
That's what I initially did, but when I saw just the punctuations marks I didn't think it took, so I deleted it.  Boy, am I learning all kinds of new things..Thanks..Doug :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 05:50:20 pm by [email protected] »

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2006, 05:50:34 pm »
Funny; I saw Chris' explanation of how to do quotes, and I had given an explanation of how to do quotes just this morning -- to someone else! It's a day for tutorials, I guess. Let me know if you have any other questions (though I'm hardly the best person to ask).

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2006, 05:52:05 pm »
Between the two of you, I should get it figured out...soon or later..Doug
l

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2006, 10:20:15 pm »
there are tons of amazing threads on this board discussing the hidden meanings of all kinds of things in the movie: hats, rotary fans, elk, sheep, bear, binoculars, clothing, colors, snow, water, coffee pots, buckets, laundry, spitting, windows ...

Hey there Bud,

Yup, I love that this movie elevates absolutely mundane things, as demonstrated by your list, to the level of poetry and deep meaning. 

And, I also love this new observation about the types of hats... and the trim.  I've always noticed the trim but never thought to ponder possible meanings... silly me.  Well, actually, I have always wondered about the decision to remove the detail of the eagle feather from Jack's hat.  It's mentioned twice in the story.  I wonder if it would just be a distraction in his costume.  I know some posters have argued that movie viewers might strongly object to the notion or visual suggestion that Jack might have shot an eagle during his first solo summer on Brokeback.  But, still he could have just found the feather. ::)  I would have liked to see it there as a further metaphoric link between Jack and the wind/ air. The "twist" aspect of Jack's hat and the rigidity of Ennis's hat (fireworks scene, etc.) are amazing things to notice!  About the removal of hats as foreplay/ sexual innuendo...  I like that in the happy tussle, not only does Ennis playfully knock Jack's hat off, but once they're on the ground together Jack reaches up and takes Ennis's hat off too (he sort of uses it to cover their faces as they seem to kiss).  I think this even heightens the idea that they've reached a mutual level of comfort in their romps at this point.

Ennis's hats are interesting because he gravitates away from wearing outright cowboy hats.  Jack's hats change color and style, but they remain clearly recognizable cowboy hats.  I know lots of people don't like Jack's mustache (and I agree with this thoroughly), but Ennis's later hat is almost the same thing for me.  That hat that really does look more like a fisherman's hat has always bothered me.  I'm sure it's meant to help make him look older (and it works) but it bothers me that it isn't so classically "cowboy" in appearance.  It's funny because Ennis is the one that maintains an identity as a cowboy through his work over the years more than Jack, yet in a way Jack seems to cling to the image.  He doesn't give up on his rodeo belts and by the last argument scene he's graduated to a Texas-sized black cowboy hat.

ps.  I love that this thread has gotten a jolt of new life!  It's a great old thread.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2006, 12:49:53 am »
Fernly once pointed out something I never noticed before: Lureen rejects two men in white hats--and goes for Jack-in-black instead.

The bartender here has a white hat too.  I've always thought of these guys in white here as peripheral temptations for Jack... the constant reminder of Ennis and also the real objects of Jack's interest in the bar anyway (even with Lureen there flirting with him).  It's sort of a cruel situation to see Lureen casually rejecting white-hatted-guy after white-hatted-guy like it's nothing.  It doesn't take much to realize how excited Jack would be if a cute guy in a white hat would approach him and flirt with him (even if it couldn't be Ennis, the ideal, here in this bar).  In a way, this little moment continues to illustrate the frustrations of being gay, single and looking to meet someone in Jack's environment (in a different way from the Jimbo scene).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2006, 01:38:29 am »
I like that in the happy tussle, not only does Ennis playfully knock Jack's hat off, but once they're on the ground together Jack reaches up and takes Ennis's hat off too (he sort of uses it to cover their faces as they seem to kiss).  I think this even heightens the idea that they've reached a mutual level of comfort in their romps at this point.

Hey there to you, Friend!  :) While we're on the subject, I've always thought it interesting that Jack DOES use the hat as if to cover their faces when they seem to kiss. They're all alone in the wilderness -- why bother to be demure? It's as if he thinks there might be someone watching ... !

:o :o :o

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2006, 02:41:43 am »
I've always wondered that about Jack's gesture with Ennis's hat too.  I don't know.

I have another hat question... What should we make of the fact that during the confusing tussle (prior to the punch) Jack is able to keep his hat on while Ennis loses his hat?  When Jack tries to wipe Ennis's bloody nose he still has his hat on, while Ennis is hatless.  I'm honestly forgetting at the moment... does Jack lose his hat too after the punch?  In any case, there's a lot of complex hat action in this scene.
 ::)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:45:53 am by atz75 »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2006, 08:52:46 am »
I've always wondered that about Jack's gesture with Ennis's hat too.  I don't know.

I don't think Jack did it deliberately to hide. They were just playing/ horsing around.
But that danged Ang Lee sure did it deliberately to *not* let us see. Restaraint - never enough of our boys, never enough...

I have another hat question... What should we make of the fact that during the confusing tussle (prior to the punch) Jack is able to keep his hat on while Ennis loses his hat?  When Jack tries to wipe Ennis's bloody nose he still has his hat on, while Ennis is hatless.  I'm honestly forgetting at the moment... does Jack lose his hat too after the punch?  In any case, there's a lot of complex hat action in this scene.
 ::)

Jack loses his hat when going down after the punch.

There's also a continue mistake in that scene. When their hussling gets angry and Jack is on top, he shoves Ennis into the ground and Ennis's hat lays under him and gets flattened (aside: like the harmonica).
But when Ennis grabs his hat after the punch, it is in perfect shape again.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2006, 04:40:34 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for reviving this classic Open Forum thread! 

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2006, 06:53:15 pm »
The black hats symbolised jack's openness to his gay side, the tan hat symbolised Ennis' closed off sexuality, the straw white hat--Jimbo, and JT in the tractor with Bobby--'str8' characters/characteristics.

The black hats around jack symbolised his openness to sex. the lack of black hats around Ennis symbolised he was a one hat sorta ..... ::)  hat.

So far as i know the cool-dude-rodeo straw hat ennis wore with Cassie and at the fireworks display is not categorised. Any tries?
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"