Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 147687 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 06:18:21 am »
I will regulate to be on the other women's cycles.  It's honestly pretty fascinating.

It is. My daughter and I tend to be on the same schedule.

For quite a few years I have been as regular as clockwork (28 days, to the minute) just on my own (no birth control or anything. I had my tubes tied 10 years ago). Then, at the end of July I started a few days early and my period started again on Aug 21...just 21 days later. I am wondering if this is permanent or just something that happened because Hannah (my daughter) was away for the month.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 06:36:09 am »
I shave my legs and armprits quite regularly. My sister says I am obsessed. She only shaves during the summer, the rest of the year, she doesn't bother. But I do it anyway, regardless of the season. As for my period, I am very regular. Sometimes, I get it a few days ahead. I'm rarely late. Curiously enough, the few times I have been late, I happened to have a boyfriend, and I really thought I was pregnant. But luckily for me it was a false alarm, both times.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:55:34 am »
Oh, I'm a stickeler for armpit hair - almost every day - even to the point that I get the tweezers out to catch the few little stray hairs not caught by the razor.

Legs, as I say not so much - leg shaving is a weekend job most of the time!

I have had my eyebrows waxed once and it was an amzing difference - when I see photos of myself before hand I think my eyebrows look ridiculous! And since that one wax, I ahve kept my eyebrows in chgeck with tweezers.

My top lip, I bleach.

And my bikini area. well I had it waxed for the first time last year ready for my summer holiday and I wasn't too impressed, and reverted back to shaving. But i think the girl might not have been very good. I may give it another try just before I go away in 2 weeks,... but LADIES! here is a question.... What is the best time before you go away on hol to get that done, too long and the hairs are coming back, too short and you look and feel like a plucked chicken 'down there'.    :laugh:

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 02:49:05 pm »
Waxing hurts a lot the first time you do it, but much less on subsequent visits.   I have to get my underarms and lower legs waxed roughly every 3 weeks.     

Ladies:   would you recommend a Tylenol the next time I get a mammo?  As you well know, it hurts so freaking bad to get that done!    Same question for the pelvic exam/PAP.   They were unable to complete it the last time I was supposed to have one done.  It is so painful.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 03:04:03 pm »

Ladies:   would you recommend a Tylenol the next time I get a mammo?  As you well know, it hurts so freaking bad to get that done!    Same question for the pelvic exam/PAP.   They were unable to complete it the last time I was supposed to have one done.  It is so painful.

I have never found a mammogram painful, but if you do, maybe a Tylenol would help. Or a glass of wine! I would also explain to the tech beforehand that you have had a bad experience with painful mammos so that s/he is aware of how much compression is being used.

Likewise, a pelvic exam should not be that painful. Talk to the practitioner, explain about your last experience. S/he should be able to help you breathe and relax. Sometimes they'll warm the speculum, too, that can help.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 04:18:05 pm »
I agree with what Leslie said.  Neither a mammogram nor a pelvic exam should hurt too much.  I think that a little discomfort is to be expected... but if either procedure is truly painful, then the practitioner is doing something wrong.  Be sure to speak up for yourself if you feel pain in those procedures.  Don't take the doctor's behavior for granted... you definitely have the right to speak up if you're uncomfortable.

For me, I almost always get bad cramps (sort of like menstrual cramps) following a pelvic exam, so yes, I often take Tylenol or something. But, usually the exam itself doesn't hurt (cause sharp pains, etc.).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 04:54:04 pm »
I second (or third) what Leslie and Amanda have said: I never had a pelvic exam that hurt the slightest bit. You should talk to your doctor.
Can't say anything about mammogram though, never had one yet.

I never had any waxing of hair, and I'm sure I'll never try it  :o. It already sounds so horrible (and I mean not the story Kelda posted, lol). I am lucky and don't have many hairs anywhere on my body. For 35 years I never needed to shave or wax anything. But the last few years, the hair on my legs seem to get more. Now I have an epilator and I love that little machine. It doesn't hurt badly, only a little bit and it takes weeks for the hair to come back. Actually, I use it three times a year: one time in each, June, July and August. I'm like Natali's sister, in winter I don't bother with the hair on my legs.

I remember in puperty, when all girls of my class already had body hair and I wondered when I will get more than the three meager hairs I had. Well, that time never came and a few years later (and to this day) I'm happy about it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 05:53:53 pm »
I've never heard of a pelvic exam being out-and-out painful. Not the most fun thing in the world, but not painful.

Mammograms, on the other hand, I would say are on the extreme side of uncomfortable. I remember seeing an internet joke about how you can prepare for a mammogram by slamming your breast in a refrigerator door and then running over it with the car, or something like that. That's about right, but luckily you only have to endure it for a minute or so.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 11:53:30 pm »
Thank you for the replies.   I can survive the mammo, somehow, but that pelvic just kills me.    I even had them used the child's speculum and it still seems too big.    Not to get too personal, but....well, heck, we already are personal here, aren't we?----I'm, uh, how do I put this.....Small.   

Sigh.

I never thought I would wax, but now that I'm used to it, I can't stand to use a razor any more.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 09:12:44 am »

Mammograms, on the other hand, I would say are on the extreme side of uncomfortable. I remember seeing an internet joke about how you can prepare for a mammogram by slamming your breast in a refrigerator door and then running over it with the car, or something like that. That's about right, but luckily you only have to endure it for a minute or so.

I have seen that joke and it irks me because I know there are women who don't get mammograms because they are afraid of the pain. MAMMOGRAMS  SAVE LIVES. A minute or two of discomfort once a year is certainly bearable, don't you think, ladies?

In my personal opinion, I concur with the American Cancer Society: women should have an annual mammogram, beginning at age 40. If there is any significant family history, you may want to begin sooner. Discuss this with your practitioner. I had my first mammo at 35.

Leslie