Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 147751 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2008, 11:02:43 am »
Advice needed.

I don't know that there is anything to be done about this. BUT....if someone knows of something, let me know, please.

I have light colored skin, but my eyelids and under eye area is very dark. With no make - up -- it's raccoon city. I know about concealer. I have some that is used for people who have to cover scars or dark birthmarks. But is there some kind of vitamin deficiency at work here or is there some procedure or action that can diminish the darkness?

Thanks in advance.  8)  
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:49 am »
I had that problem for several YEARS after my children were born!! But finally I went back to getting enuff sleep and it went away...but then the wrinkles appeared!! There are creams that have bleach in them that you can put on at night. I used it on sun damage spots on my upper lip. And they worked okay but just applying sunscreen religiously worked almost as well.

I also use something called Vitamin A moisture mask from...Boots? The Body Shop? one of those. Instead of applying it and then taking it off like a mask, I put it on my face just like a moisturizer and let it sink in, just wiping off any excess. I also apply it at night. It works really well, and gives your whole face radiance. There are also moisturizers that reflect light that make the deep-set portions of your face appear lighter.

How about applying bronzer to the rest of your face so it is a little darker? That might work better than trying to lighten the eye area.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2008, 11:37:22 am »
I had that problem for several YEARS after my children were born!! But finally I went back to getting enuff sleep and it went away...but then the wrinkles appeared!! There are creams that have bleach in them that you can put on at night. I used it on sun damage spots on my upper lip. And they worked okay but just applying sunscreen religiously worked almost as well.

I also use something called Vitamin A moisture mask from...Boots? The Body Shop? one of those. Instead of applying it and then taking it off like a mask, I put it on my face just like a moisturizer and let it sink in, just wiping off any excess. I also apply it at night. It works really well, and gives your whole face radiance. There are also moisturizers that reflect light that make the deep-set portions of your face appear lighter.

How about applying bronzer to the rest of your face so it is a little darker? That might work better than trying to lighten the eye area.

Thank you, Lee. Those are some good ideas for me to try. My eyes DO get darker with less sleep -- I get 4-5 hours a night during the week and a lot more than that on weekends. So getting more sleep would help.

I will have to try to find some of the Vitamin A mask -- I'll look it up on Google. Never thought of the bronzer. That might work too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2008, 12:51:21 pm »
4 - 5 hours/night is not very much!!

:o
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2008, 01:01:59 pm »
4 - 5 hours/night is not very much!!

:o

I know!! I try to catch up on weekends, but I know that's not the same as getting 7-8 hours every night on a regular basis!  :P  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2008, 01:45:49 pm »
But is there some kind of vitamin deficiency at work here or is there some procedure or action that can diminish the darkness?

The racoon-look can be a hint that a person has problems with their kidneys. Hopefully that's not the case, but you could keep it in the back of your mind and ask your doc next time you see him.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2008, 05:01:12 pm »
The racoon-look can be a hint that a person has problems with their kidneys. Hopefully that's not the case, but you could keep it in the back of your mind and ask your doc next time you see him.

EEK!! Ok -- I will. But I've had it to some extent for a long, long time. So I hope it's just from lack of sleep, genetics, thinning skin due to age --- ugh!!! that's not so great either!!!  :P  8)  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2008, 05:21:38 pm »
EEK!! Ok -- I will. But I've had it to some extent for a long, long time. So I hope it's just from lack of sleep, genetics, thinning skin due to age --- ugh!!! that's not so great either!!!  :P  8)  ;D

My husband also has had it for ages. That's why I know about the possible connection with kidney problems. Luckily, his kidneys are just fine.

But you're right, the other combination of causes isn't too great either  ;) :laugh:
Oh well, mother nature sure has given you a fair trade-off for it. Either you'll stay healthy like a horse until you reach 90, or you don't get orange-peel skin, or your teeth are arragned beautifully even (this comes from a person who knows that uneven teeth are not a simple cosmetic problem, but also will cause health problems once you're not 20 anymore  ::)).

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2008, 05:37:05 pm »
Hi Shasta,  As I grow older, I am noticing the under-eye darkness a little more, but then again, I, like you, know I don't get enough sleep at night either.  When I do manage to get  7 hours of sleep a night for several nights in a row, it seems to help.  Seven hours seems to be the golden number for me.  I don't notice the darkness and my face doesn't look so tired.  My 4 legged hairy "kids" wake me up early to let them outside, and to eat, so that doesn't help either.  On weekends, they don't know it's the weekend, and they wake up pretty much the same time as they do during the week.  I usually go to bed around 11:00/11:30 PM and get up weekdays at 5:30 AM.  Weekends I usually get up about 6:30 AM/7:00 AM.  There never seems to be enough hours in the day, does there?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
Advice needed.

I don't know that there is anything to be done about this. BUT....if someone knows of something, let me know, please.

I have light colored skin, but my eyelids and under eye area is very dark. With no make - up -- it's raccoon city. I know about concealer. I have some that is used for people who have to cover scars or dark birthmarks. But is there some kind of vitamin deficiency at work here or is there some procedure or action that can diminish the darkness?

Thanks in advance.  8) 

I think a really good moisturizer (rich in vitamin K & E) for around the eyes can go a long way.

I have a friend who used skin lighteners to reduce the darkness around her eyes, but then you'd have to be sure of what creams you use because of the sensitive nature of the skin ...

And other thing - get plenty of sleep!  :)