Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 147731 times)

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 05:18:25 am »
They are the bane of my existence--I have all the characteristics your derm described, very fair skin with a bluish undertone, so they just leap out at you. The skin of the face is thinnest under the eyes, and if you are already pale you probaby have fairly thin skin, so the blood vessels really stand out. I already have the kind of bone structure that shows them off, high cheekbones, thin-ish cheeks,and really deepset eyes (this tends to get more pronounced with age, I've noticed--yay!)--and when I've not had much sleep, stayed up drinking red wine and eating salty things, I look like Keith Richards the day after.
Back when I was in design school, I was working a full graveyard and then going to class all day, and I'd have to give regular presentations that might be attended by future employers so I'd have to look halfway presentable, and you'll laugh at what I used: Preparation H. It sounds crazy, but if you think about it, it works by shrinking inflamed blood vessels, and that's what causes those horrid dark circles.
I'd put it under my eyes in the morning--yeah, it's gloppy and sticky and you probably don't want to get it in your eyes, slather the rest of my face with Clinique Moisture Surge, then when that was absorbed, I'd slap Clinique Total Turnaround cream over it (tightens the skin and leaves it feeling nice and soft), and pound water all day. Then just before I had to go out there, put Estee Lauder Spotlight cream on--it has really soft rosy gold light-reflecting particles in it,probably  like that Prescriptives mineral  stuff, subtle shimmer, not disco glitter.
Result, even if I felt like death, I did not look like I was about to start singing Paint it Black, and if it worked for me, it would probably work for anyone.
No, I do not work for Estee Lauder or Clinique, by the way!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2008, 09:19:24 am »
wow.. see the problem is would I have the patience to do all this?

Nice to meet you by the way Nevermore
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2008, 09:56:25 am »
...I look like Keith Richards the day after...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I have those deep-set eyes, too. When I was in my teens, one of my relatives told me I looked like my great-grandmother. Thanks, auntie.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2008, 01:33:19 pm »
Another option: glasses. I have not dark circles but bags under my eyes. Luckily, I started wearing glasses in my 40s. The lower edge of the frames coincides with the outlines of the bags, so you can't really see them. But now I know the explanation for what I noticed as a kid: people who wear glasses, when they take them off to rub their eyes or polish the lenses, look weirdly baggy-eyed and older.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2008, 02:36:26 pm »
When my eyes started drying out and I had to stop wearing my contact lenses, I switched to glasses.  They do hide the dark circles, IMO.

Or maybe I'm just fooling myself and they're really magnifying them.  (just kidding)  :)

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2008, 04:10:11 am »
wow.. see the problem is would I have the patience to do all this?

Nice to meet you by the way Nevermore

Likewise.

And yes, its easy, just scoop stuff from jars and--done, no mirror required. What I would not have the patience for is a concealer routine, and I would just end up looking like a fashion Don't in one of those "What Not to Wear" columns in the magazines. Of course, if you are really pressed for time, you can go the other direction and incorporate them into your look with tons of smoky eyeliner--that can work too, though probably not if you work in a bank or law firm. Or if you're my age--sad old goth rocker, coming through!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2008, 01:35:05 am »
Heya,

I have a question related to eyes. 

Today, just to be kooky I decided on a whim to wear mascara to work.  Since I rarely wear it (and have rarely worn it in the past) I'm not as familiar with all the ins-and-outs of this cosmetic product as some.  So, I hope I don't sound too hopelessly naive when I ask this. 

What is the best method for removing mascara (I mean the fancy, waterproof, smudge-proof, etc. kind)?  I mean getting it thoroughly and completely off.  I feel like I just nearly scrubbed my eye-lids off and still I don't feel like my eyelashes are entirely clean.  I feel like I have black glue on my eyelashes that just won't come off in certain places.

???

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2008, 01:57:35 am »
Hi Amanda. I don't use it much either because my eyes are so sensitive. On the rare occasions, I use Vaseline or baby oil to get it off. There are products exclusively for removing mascara, but I don't have any of those.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2008, 03:13:15 am »
Hey Bud, I rarely use mascara, even though my eyelashes are practically clear, because I dye them instead. How weird -- at 50, I don't dye my hair, but I've been dying my eyelashes since I was in my 20s.

Anyway, I do very occasionally wear mascara for extra oomph on special occasions, and when I do it's that smudge-proof kind. I just wash my face the normal way and if there's some left on I don't worry about it. I just figure that will add a little color the next day, when I probably won't re-apply mascara. However, if I really really wanted to get it off, there are special eye-makeup-removal products. I think I have some little pads that are specifically designed for eye-makeup. I've never used them, for the aforementioned reasons. But if I needed to, that's where I'd turn.

Another possibility: baby oil. That's what I recall using in my 20s, when I did wear mascara more often.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2008, 08:19:01 am »
Lee -- I went to Target today and got the Boots Botanic Vitamin Recovery Mask, and just for good measure, the moisturizing eye cream. LOL  8)

I'll let ya know.  :)

I've started to use Burt's Bees oil the past few years - the whole name is Burt's Bee's Vitamin E Bath & Body oil.  It's for general moisturizing, but I rub it on my face, with a few additional drops around the eyes, after showering.  If you do that before toweling off and apply it to damp skin, your skin absorbs it very fast and it has a nice fresh lemony scent. 

You can get it at Target, at the "natural foods" or "whole foods" departments of many supermarkets, or order it on their website here.