Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 147683 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2008, 09:21:40 pm »

For anybody who cares to good answer, I will recommend a product that is pretty likely to make your eyelashes longer (albeit at some risk  ;D).

Heya K!

I'm still intrigued about this part of your post from a while back.  How does such a product possibly work?  Is it a fancy kind of mascara?
 ???

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2008, 11:22:11 pm »
I have been reading the posts in here about "shaving" for the past week, and have hesitated to add my own, because it is such a personal thing. But I'm feeling in a "what the hell, put your two cents worth in" kinda mood today, so......

As much as most of us ladies do not enjoy the task of shaving or waxing, the bottom line is, it is our mindset, that smooth legs and arm pits is prettier, more feminine and much more attractive. It is no more or less a routine than getting our hair styled, or wearing an attractive outfit, if we feel good about it, then thats why we do it. I guess its what we, and others, perceive as attractive, and smooth legs and arm pits are considered that.

As far as shaving the "other area"....well........I find that being smooth "down there" very very sexy.

I have not always shaved there, but I go through stages and moods, where I keep it either trimmed, or completely shaven, and because I am in the mood to have it that way, I find it attractive and I feel very sexy and those feelings are reciprocated by my husband, and not in a pedophilic way, but because it adds a sense of adventure, and a "different" feel about things. Its just all about enjoyment of how one feels, and I like feeling sexy, or maybe the word "provocative" is what I should be using....its just all part of the sexual adventure.

I've always said, that sexuality, or sexiness, is how one thinks..... what is going on more in the mind than even what is going on in the bed, more of what is going on between the ears than what is going on between the legs..as long as you feel comfortable with it and it is what you want to do. But in saying that, if you are hesitant about trying something different, you will never know if it turns you on, if you dont try it, at least once.

And....another thing I like doing, is going out to dinner or somewhere public, and not wearing underwear under a dress.....I dont do it all the time, but once again, when I'm "in the mood", and I've done it, I find that gives me a real sexual turn on, not to mention what it does for my husband.....its all part of the adventure.

oh, it is entirely a different matter if you are a mature woman with a woman's figure...the images I was refering to in men's magazines are of very young looking women with tiny breasts....when did SMALL breasts come into vogue for men's magazines? I mean really!

THOSE images to me are 'grooming' men to accept or find 'sexy' the wrong image. If they were of the traditional bosomy girls/women they used to show it MIGHT not seem so...ick!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2008, 12:51:15 am »
Heya K!

I'm still intrigued about this part of your post from a while back.  How does such a product possibly work?  Is it a fancy kind of mascara?
 ???

OK. I kind of later regretted having brought that up, because it's a) complicated to describe and b) possibly risky to use. Still, now that I've brought it up, I'll tell you. But hold on for the long explanation.

At 50, I don't have any gray hair. Literally, I've never seen a strand of it. Unfortunately, what I do have is hair that doesn't grow very well. I don't have bald spots (yet!), but it's what happens is the top layers, particularly in the front but also on the sides, only get so far and then they kind of stop. I think it's hormonally related. It's not a big problem, but it annoys me.

So I ran across mention of a product that helps your hair grow better. I was skeptical, of course, but I was intrigued because I got it from a source I completely trust (cosmeticscop.com -- this woman, Paula Begoun, has written a couple of books and has a website analyzing cosmetics and debunking advertisiing claims; if you get nothing else out of this post I urge you to check that out. She also has her own line of products that is well-priced, effective and fragrance-free.)

So anyway, the product was by Jan Marini (janmarini.com), which sells a lot of high-end cosmetics, supposedly much researched. And I found that she sells not only a hair-growth formula but also a lash-growth formula. I wanted to buy the first, and as long as I was at it I figured I'd throw in the second. They were VERY expensive -- about $300 together, much, much more than I'd ever normally pay on products like that. But what the heck. I splurged.

So I got the products just after Thanksgiving and started using them. The hair product is a spray. The lash product is like liquid eyeliner, but colorless. And I swear, after a few months of using, I notice a difference in both my hair and lashes. Both seem fuller, thicker, more healthy, and yes, longer. I didn't measure either with a ruler, so I can't absolutely swear to it or provide any statistics. But that is my impression.

So then, I was reading something that said Jan Marini's product had been RECALLED last fall because it might be dangerous. Of course, I was alarmed and did more research. Apparently the substance it contains is used to treat eye conditions and it actually has been found to lengthen eyelashes. But it hasn't gone through proper testing, which means it can't make claims as a cosmetic, and  could cause bad reactions. Some references mention blindness (!!!), but others just talk about skin redness and irritation. I read some websites that went back and forth about it. Here's one good one: http://www.truthinaging.com/2007/11/jan-marini-fda.html

Then I determined that the product I'm using is probably the one they issued AFTER the recall, a reformulated version that is less dangerous but also less effective. Still, as I said, I've noticed some effects.

But then I heard that there's a similar product, Revitalash, that is available for much cheaper on eBay. That hasn't been officially recalled, but it has been reformulated in a similar way. You can get both the new version and the old version on eBay. So I bought some of the old version, and am still wondering whether I dare use it. I stlil have plenty left of the Jan Marini stuff, so I don't have to decide yet.

That's the whole story.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »
I'll have to check out that L'oreal mascara. Does it come in a waterproof version? I have to use waterproof.  I've been using Maybelline Great Lash for many years.

On another note, since this is the female thread; I have the worst cramps ever! I've been cramping like hell for the past two days. Ugh! This is one of the worst periods of my life.  I've been hotflashing and having night sweats for a couple of years now so I'm thinking this is part of the pre menopause thing. Why can we just stop menstrating? Why must it take like 10 years???

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
sorry for the cramps Ms. Merc - hope they are better soon!

warning: heavy ick factor to follow!!!

on the subject of cramps (again, taking advantage of the female thread): I quit taking birth control pills about 6 months ago, after having taken them for about 4 or 5 years.  I didn't consult anyone (i.e. my doctor) about stopping, just decided to stop.  Here is what I have found: I have light bleeding for about 5-7 days - then a true period for 1 or 2 days, then done.  Everyone think this is okay?  Any reason to worry?

I actually have less cramps and less heavy bleeding off the pill, and just wanted to make sure it seemed 'normal' to every one else.

thanks, for indulging me...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2008, 11:21:30 pm »

Heya Mercury and BelAir!

I'm sorry to hear about your bad cramps MsMercury... cramps really can be so unbearable.  My advice probably won't help for this cycle much... but, do you exercise regularly?  I've found that makes a massive difference.  If I'm being good about an exercise routine I find that my cramps are much less severe or even sometimes blissfully nonexistent.  I'm not much of an exercise buff... so I go through phases where I don't exercise much, and I can often tell the difference pretty distinctly.

And, about birth control pills... that's a fascinating subject to me because I've never had cause to use them, so I never have. 

For me, having never been on the pill... what you describe sounds related to what I experience on a normal basis.  About 5-7 days of bleeding... usually days 1-3 are heavier (depending... sometimes it varies a bit) and then the end is lighter.  I think periods off of birth control usually are longer than periods on the pill - or so I understand from what friends have told me, etc.  Maybe your body is regulating and adjusting a bit.

LOL, isn't this thread remarkable!  Some of the topics we've covered here are pretty amazing!  ;D

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:57 pm »
I exercise off and on and yes, it's a proven fact that cramps are less severe for those who exercise.  I need to get my butt back to the gym ASAP!

As for BC pills, it is common for them to make your periods more tolerable. I was on the pill from the time I was 18 up until I was 31.  On the pill my periods were very light and lasted about 3 days. Hardly any cramping at all. Wonderful!  Well went I got into my 30's my doc said I can no longer be on the pill and smoke as the chances of heart attack or stroke increase. So she asked me want I wanted to do and I said, "Tie my tubes!"  I'd been asking for a tubal since I was 18.  I never wanted kids and begged each year for them to tie my tubes but they wouldn't do it until I was 31. She said if I still didn't want kids by this time I was probably never going to. Thank goddess someone finally listened to me. I'm so happy to have my tubes tied these past 9 years but the periods are just like they were when I was in high school. Heavy and awful.  So it was a trade off.
Yeah, I know the sensible thing would be to quit smoking so I could be on the pill but that ain't happening.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2008, 11:45:43 pm »
That's interesting about your experience wanting to have your "tube tied" and having doctors not be willing to heed your request.  I had an acquaintance-type-friend in my early 20s who was determined that she wanted this done too, and the doctors would just not listen to her.  It seems very odd to me that doctors often don't respect women's decisions in this regard, even if they're young.  It's like there's an institutional disbelief that there are women (and even very young women) who really have no desire to reproduce.. or there seems to be an unwillingness to believe that a woman knows what she wants and what's best for herself.  This issue - of doctors not listening to/ respecting what women tell them - really makes me angry.
 >:(

I'm sorry that happened to you.

But, about the heavy periods... yeah, I'm pretty aware that my periods are longer than women on the pill.  But, in general they're not too, too heavy (except for a couple days at the beginning... the later days are pretty light).

For those of you not on the pill... have you ever experienced the phenomenon of the schedule of your period shifting based on other women around you?  I went to a women's college for undergrad. and it was such a noticeable trend within dorms it was amazing.  Sometimes essentially a whole floor in a dorm would be on the same schedule (you could sort of tell by the state of the communal bathrooms). 

And, this may be "too much information"... but this thread is pretty darn intimate, so here goes... the shifting of "schedules' based on other women around you... is very helpful/ convenient for lesbian couples.  At least in my experience, often within just two months you're pretty close to synchronized.  It's pretty incredible.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:38 pm »
I'm guessing the reason for doc's not listening to us when we are young is because they are afraid we'll get older and regret it then want to sue them. You know how people can be.  "But i was too young and didn't know what I was talking about!"  I think it should be my decision since it's my body but I can see the other side too. Plus I know there are women who changed their mind.  I know a lot of women who swore they didn't want kids but ended up having them later.  I just knew I was one of those people not destined for kids. How could I explain that to a doc and have them believe me? They aren't going to buy, I just know.

Oh yes, I know the phemomenon well of the period schedule with other women. I've heard other women say it as well. It always happens.  The only thing is, where I work, almost all the women I work with have either had a hysterectomy or are going through menopause!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:53 pm »
I'm guessing the reason for doc's not listening to us when we are young is because they are afraid we'll get older and regret it then want to sue them. You know how people can be.  "But i was too young and didn't know what I was talking about!"  I think it should be my decision since it's my body but I can see the other side too. Plus I know there are women who changed their mind.  I know a lot of women who swore they didn't want kids but ended up having them later.  I just knew I was one of those people not destined for kids. How could I explain that to a doc and have them believe me? They aren't going to buy, I just know.

I'm also one of those women. I never wanted children when I was a young woman. This changed to maybe sometime later, much much later (a very vague maybe) when my best friend had her first baby. I ended up having three kids  :laugh:.

I think this happens quite often, so I can understand why doctors are hesitant to tie tubes when the woman is very young.