Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 147699 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:38 pm »
sorry for the cramps Ms. Merc - hope they are better soon!

warning: heavy ick factor to follow!!!

on the subject of cramps (again, taking advantage of the female thread): I quit taking birth control pills about 6 months ago, after having taken them for about 4 or 5 years.  I didn't consult anyone (i.e. my doctor) about stopping, just decided to stop.  Here is what I have found: I have light bleeding for about 5-7 days - then a true period for 1 or 2 days, then done.  Everyone think this is okay?  Any reason to worry?

I actually have less cramps and less heavy bleeding off the pill, and just wanted to make sure it seemed 'normal' to every one else.

thanks, for indulging me...

I don't know whether this is "normal", I guess so. But in general, for most women it's the other way round: less bleeding and less cramps when they are on the pill.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2008, 12:30:14 pm »
I take the pill Lybrel, which keeps you from ever getting periods. It's great! I've had one very short, slight one in about the past six months. Otherwise, I'm period free. I have a fibroid (sorry, TMI again) and had really bad periods, so now I feel I've been liberated.

Of course, I'm 50. If I were younger or still planning on further reproduction, I might be more nervous about what it was doing to my body.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2008, 01:09:51 pm »
For the past few years, I have had what I call the trifecta of periods: heavy bleeding, backache, and cramps, every month. I have been as regular as a clock (every 28 days) for quite a few years now. There have been times when I was glad my period started on the weekend so I didn't need to go out of the house. Interestingly, this month I was 10 days late and my period was very mild. Maybe the end is in sight? (I am 52.)

Of course, my gynecologist has suggested the ultimate solution: a hysterectomy. But I just look him straight in the eye and say, I'll keep all my body parts while they are still functional, thank you very much. That shuts him up.

And yes, I have a male gynecologist but we go way back and I like him very much.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2008, 01:27:17 pm »
I'm 54, had one period in October, and now in Feb. I had something, looked like a "miscolouring".... ;D

I think it is finally over!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It was "fun" while I needed it but now I'm so happy it's gone  ;D :D :laugh: :)

Berit

Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2008, 02:11:26 pm »

LOL, isn't this thread remarkable!  Some of the topics we've covered here are pretty amazing!  ;D

yeah, I'm so glad I started this thread! Although I have to admit it wasn't an original idea - there is a similar thread on abnother board I frequent and I thought it would be a good addition here!!!  ;D

And, this may be "too much information"... but this thread is pretty darn intimate, so here goes... the shifting of "schedules' based on other women around you... is very helpful/ convenient for lesbian couples.  At least in my experience, often within just two months you're pretty close to synchronized.  It's pretty incredible.

YOu know I had never thoguht about that but yes, that IS useful!  ;) It is pretty amazing how we schchronize isn't it!? (Although I guess that relates to if you are on the pill or not.......

Ive been on the pill for over ten years - can't rember what its like NOT to be.

It's good for things like holidays when you can just not have a break and continue taking them so that you dont have a period and feel icky when you've got something planned.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2008, 02:13:12 pm »
I take the pill Lybrel, which keeps you from ever getting periods. It's great! I've had one very short, slight one in about the past six months. Otherwise, I'm period free. I have a fibroid (sorry, TMI again) and had really bad periods, so now I feel I've been liberated.

Of course, I'm 50. If I were younger or still planning on further reproduction, I might be more nervous about what it was doing to my body.

I've never heard of that - do you need to have a medical condition to get this?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2008, 03:08:36 pm »
I'm guessing the reason for doc's not listening to us when we are young is because they are afraid we'll get older and regret it then want to sue them. You know how people can be.  "But i was too young and didn't know what I was talking about!"  I think it should be my decision since it's my body but I can see the other side too. Plus I know there are women who changed their mind.  I know a lot of women who swore they didn't want kids but ended up having them later.  I just knew I was one of those people not destined for kids. How could I explain that to a doc and have them believe me? They aren't going to buy, I just know.

Oh yes, I know the phemomenon well of the period schedule with other women. I've heard other women say it as well. It always happens.  The only thing is, where I work, almost all the women I work with have either had a hysterectomy or are going through menopause!

I guess the reason the doctors won't do it when women are young is because of the possibility of suing, but is that really something that would stand up in Court?  After one is an adult, one should take responsibility for one's own actions, I can't believe that a Court would side with the woman.

Look at Roe vs Wade.  The woman is now regretting her decision (now of course) and is trying to change the law, and trying to give every reason under the sun as to why she wasn't - in control, mentally stable, emotionally responsible, whatever - when she brought up her case.

It's these situations that give women a bad name in society. 

Suppose something like a woman regretting getting her tubes tied when she was in her early 20's does come up in court, all that has to happen for the woman to win her case against a doctor is basically for her to testify in front of the judge and maybe a jury and cry and sob and bemoan her inability to have babies and the tragedy of a poor decision made when she was young - and it's all the doctor's fault.

Most companies I've worked for that deal directly with the public all agree that if the issue of children come into any lawsuit, it's always better to settle out of court even if the injured party is clearly in the wrong because no jury will side with the

big mean corporations
big bad doctors
name your demonized organization

Is it any wonder women in society still have a reputation of being indecisive, waffly, emotionally unstable, wanting to please their menfolk and unreasonable?

I'm one of those women who made up my mind when I was 5 years old that I didn't want kids.  All these years later, I still don't and for the same reasons.  Nothing has changed that, not any man, nor any hormones, nor the plump, diapered bundles of germs (babies) that my friends have had and are currently showing off.

injest

« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2008, 03:25:41 pm »
I've never heard of that - do you need to have a medical condition to get this?

no but I don't think it is recommended for younger women that might later want to get pregnant...

I am sure Leslie will be in shortly to give us all an education in it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2008, 03:31:02 pm »
Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news, but I am 56 and the Big M has not visited me yet!

About synchronicity among women, wasn't there a novel about this, entitled The Red Tent?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »
Synchronicity is a well-documented event.  It is a fact.  However, after a few months or weeks of this, women drift off back onto their own schedules. It's not known why this happens - or sometimes - why it doesn't happen at all.  My sister and I were a classic case.  I lived with my sister for a while and we got in sync then - as per the scientific observations- we fell out after a while.