Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 147664 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2008, 04:53:01 pm »
Yeah, as I mentioned before... "synchronicity" was definitely a noticeable trend at the women's college I attended.  And, it's seemed to happen with all the women I've dated for any significant amount of time.

I read the Red Tent a long time ago.  I remember that I liked it, but I don't remember a lot of the details about it at this point.  It seems entirely possible that it probably touched on the subject of synchronicity, since the book was a lot about female-ness in general.  There was a phase when it seemed like a ton of people were reading that book.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2008, 05:18:44 pm »
no but I don't think it is recommended for younger women that might later want to get pregnant...

I am sure Leslie will be in shortly to give us all an education in it!

Well, since you suggested it...

Lybrel is a type of oral contraceptive (ie, "the pill") but it is designed to be taken 365 days a year. Most OCPs are dosed for 21 days with 7 days off, at which time a period occurs. Lybrel is taken daily and hence, no periods, although some women will have irregular spotting and breakthrough bleeding.

It can be used by younger women as a form of birth control. As with any OCP, all the usual caveats apply (smoking, etc). It will prevent pregnancy but it will not protect against STIs and HIV (no OCP does, obviously).

Kelda, it might be something you could take. Check with your healthcare provider.

http://www.wyeth.com/hcp/lybrel

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2008, 08:48:57 pm »
Yeah, as I mentioned before... "synchronicity" was definitely a noticeable trend at the women's college I attended.  And, it's seemed to happen with all the women I've dated for any significant amount of time.

I read the Red Tent a long time ago.  I remember that I liked it, but I don't remember a lot of the details about it at this point.  It seems entirely possible that it probably touched on the subject of synchronicity, since the book was a lot about female-ness in general.  There was a phase when it seemed like a ton of people were reading that book.

I read it a while back too - I think it was somewhat 'biblical' and I'm pretty sure it wasn't about synchronicity - the Red Tent is just where the woman went when she had her period.

Unless, of course, I am remembering a different book!
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2008, 10:46:59 pm »
I read it a while back too - I think it was somewhat 'biblical' and I'm pretty sure it wasn't about synchronicity - the Red Tent is just where the woman went when she had her period.

Unless, of course, I am remembering a different book!

Yes, I think that was basically it.  I think I recall it was fictionalized aspects of certain Biblical stories from the female point of view.  And, I also seem to recall it was all about "femaleness" and female family ties on all sorts of levels.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2008, 05:27:17 pm »
Well, since you suggested it...

Lybrel is a type of oral contraceptive (ie, "the pill") but it is designed to be taken 365 days a year. Most OCPs are dosed for 21 days with 7 days off, at which time a period occurs. Lybrel is taken daily and hence, no periods, although some women will have irregular spotting and breakthrough bleeding.

It can be used by younger women as a form of birth control. As with any OCP, all the usual caveats apply (smoking, etc). It will prevent pregnancy but it will not protect against STIs and HIV (no OCP does, obviously).

Kelda, it might be something you could take. Check with your healthcare provider.

http://www.wyeth.com/hcp/lybrel

L

Thanks lelsie and Jess!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2008, 09:59:03 am »

Yes. Before Lybrel, I was on Seasonale, which limits your periods to four a year. Lybrel is better. For one thing, I never have to worry that my period will coincide with travel or something like that. Back when I had periods and they were pretty intense, if they occurred during a vacation they more or less ruined at least a couple of days of it.

One caveat: If you want to avoid periods for a special event, start taking Lybrel or Seasonale or whatever for several months before the event to allow your body to adjust. I switched to Seasonale a few years ago, just a month or two before going to Italy. D'oh! I spent almost the entire time in Italy -- about 12 days -- with a period. A relatively light one, but still. My plan really backfired. (It didn't ruin the trip, though!  :))

Lybrel didn't take quite as long to adjust to, but that may be because I'd already been taking Seasonale for a couple of years.

From what I've read, the periods you get while on a regular b.c. pill aren't "real" periods. When the pill was first developed, the inventors thought that if women went off the pill for one week a month and experienced that artificial period, the pill would seem more "natural" and therefore better accepted by the Catholic Church. Of course, it wasn't anyway. But -- again, from what I've read -- there's no medical reason to have to have those fake periods.

Still, I'll admit I might be a little more nervous about it if I were younger and planned to have more children. The docs say it's OK, but ...

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2008, 10:44:01 pm »
I'm glad it worked out well!!!

;)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2008, 12:30:07 am »

Heya Ladies,

I'm back to revisit the topic of lipstick/ lip-gloss/ chapstick...  When I went to that art opening two weekends ago, I bought some lip-gloss (slightly tinted and with some sparkly stuff in it) just for the special occasion, and now I think I'm a little addicted to it.  As I posted here a while back... for years I've resisted lipstick.  But, now this lip-gloss thing seems really fun and different.  It's really not too obvious (not like bright red lipstick or something).  It's just subtle and shinier than my old stand-by Burt's Bees chapstick.  Just thought I'd report on this change of heart.
8)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2008, 12:52:22 am »
I'm back to revisit the topic of lipstick/ lip-gloss/ chapstick...  When I went to that art opening two weekends ago, I bought some lip-gloss (slightly tinted and with some sparkly stuff in it) just for the special occasion, and now I think I'm a little addicted to it.  As I posted here a while back... for years I've resisted lipstick.  But, now this lip-gloss thing seems really fun and different.  It's really not too obvious (not like bright red lipstick or something).  It's just subtle and shinier than my old stand-by Burt's Bees chapstick.  Just thought I'd report on this change of heart.
8)

Thanks for the lipwear update, Bud. That's how I felt when I started to use lipstick. Again, like you, not the bright red kind or anything -- just a subtle plummy-peachy shade that's pretty close to the color of my actual lips. And I still forget to use it about 75 percent of the time. But that leaves 25 percent more than I used it, oh, 10 years ago or so, when I NEVER wore lipstick, didn't even own any.

I still don't like seeing those rings on my coffee cup. But I feel it does make me look more ... put together, or sumpn.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2008, 12:54:01 pm »
To me, lipstick is a sexual thing. Okay, maybe I have a one-track mind, but I use it whenever I need a sensual pick-me-up, so to speak...I like the look of it sliding out of the holder, the smoothness and silkiness on my lips, and the sensual color, even the taste!

"chewing gum and duct tape"