Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Memories  (Read 24564 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Favorite Childhood Memories
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:09:18 pm »
I used to LOVE these when I was a kid....

Now what the hell made me think of orange cupcakes all of a sudden?  ???

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Favorite Childhood Memories
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:50 pm »
Moon Pies were my favorite!  It was a really special day when one of these showed up in my beloved Barbie lunch box ;D

My second favorite were Ho Ho's  ;)

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:00:36 am »
Moon Pies were my favorite!  It was a really special day when one of these showed up in my beloved Barbie lunch box ;D

My second favorite were Ho Ho's  ;)

I LOVED Moon Pies. I still do. Moon Pies and RC Cola! That's the life!  :D

And I love Hoho's too! When I was a kid, I always tried to eat the chocolate icing off the hoho without breaking through the cake part and expose the vanilla filling. I did the same thing with Ding Dongs. It's not as easy to do as it sounds!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 01:02:18 am »
Didn't they also make orange Twinkies when we were little, Dottie?

It seems like I remember those back in the 1960's.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 01:13:23 am »
Remember Fluffernutter?  :D

Man, that stuff would make me really thirsty! So I'd wash down my fluffernutter sandwich with a big glass of cold milk!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:25:10 am »
Remember the Frito Bandito?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSVkOl-5dZw[/youtube]

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 01:34:52 am »
Didn't they also make orange Twinkies when we were little, Dottie?

It seems like I remember those back in the 1960's.  :D

Sounds familiar David, I remember the banana flavored ones for certain.  They're rare but  you can still find them sometimes.

I also found this old recipe for Cremesicle Twinkies

Orange Cremesicle Twinkie Dessert

10 Twinkies, halved lengthwise
(15 oz can of mandarin oranges – optional)*
1 3-oz package orange Jell-O
1/2 cup boiling water
1 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding (or French)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup French vanilla liquid coffee creamer
1 (12 oz) container non-dairy whipped topping, such as Cool Whip (big tub)

Arrange the Twinkies cut side up in a 13x9 inch baking dish. If using, lay some drained mandarin oranges over Twinkies.

In a bowl, stir together the Jell-O and boiling water. When Jell-O is dissolved, put the mixture in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes. To hasten the process, drop in an ice cube – the extra liquid won’t hurt anything.

In a large bowl, beat together the pudding mix, milk and coffee creamer for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the orange Jell-O/water mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in two-thirds of the whipped topping. Spread the orange mixture (pour it, smooth it) over the cut Twinkies.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 6-8 hours. Before serving, spread the remaining whipped topping over the top. Decorate thematically.

Definitely one of those homely, back yard BBQ, tailgate, family picnic kind of desserts.  If you know what I mean  ;)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 01:40:52 am »
Remember the Frito Bandito?

"Aye, yi, yi, yiiiii, I am the Frito Bandito, Give me Fritos corn chips and I'll be your friend.  The Frito Bandito you must not offend! "

Remember Lays Potato Chips... "Betcha can't eat just one"

and Speedy the Alka Selter tablet

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 01:46:24 am »
How many of you had a V-RROOM attached to your bicycle? I did! I asked for one for Christmas. I don't think I had it on my bicycle for more than 3 months before Dad ripped it off my bike and threw it away! It drove him nuts. So, after that, I resorted to attaching playing cards to my bike spokes to make those cool motor sounds!  :laugh:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0dK42wOOA[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:48:43 am »
"
and Speedy the Alka Selter tablet

"Plop! Plop! Fizz! Fizz! Oh, what a relief it is...."

I remember Speedy!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 02:11:15 am »
This isn't exactly one of my favorite childhood memories, but who could EVER forget that "Flintstones" commercial?

It played for years, and I remember seeing it on TV all the time when I was a kid. I won't even tell you what it's about. You'll just have to watch the commercial and see for yourself. But it sure is a blast from the past for those of us old enough to remember it!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7voOuURHTvE[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 02:27:02 am »
Slinky!!!

This was one of my favorite toys when I was growing up! I have no idea how many of them I went through though. They  always ended up in a big knot!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And Silly Putty!

haha. I ate this stuff! I chewed it like gum. It tasted terrible, but I couldn't keep it out of my mouth!  :laugh:

You could copy comics with it, you could stretch it, you could bounce it... and I guess you could eat it too, if you were a kid like me!  :P

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 07:42:48 am »
Slinky!!!

This was one of my favorite toys when I was growing up! I have no idea how many of them I went through though. They  always ended up in a big knot!

And Silly Putty!

haha. I ate this stuff! I chewed it like gum. It tasted terrible, but I couldn't keep it out of my mouth!  :laugh:

You could copy comics with it, you could stretch it, you could bounce it... and I guess you could eat it too, if you were a kid like me!  :P

Those were so much  fun!!! I could be entertained for a long time with either one of them. I copied the comic section of the paper on my Silly Putty,too, but I didn't chew it.  :P They still sell thiis stuff at Cracker Barrel! Thanks for the memories, David.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 07:48:53 am »
Haha---I don't remember the commercial, but.......how "incorrect" can you get? Ahhhh....the good ol' days!! :o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 03:28:49 am »
Does anyone else remember these vintage soda pops?  Collecting the bottles, finding them on the side of the road or in the trash and then turning them at the store for the deposit?  I use to get my pocket money that way :D and in the summer time spent it on more Pop!

Chocolate Yoo-Hoo, Kickapoo Joy Juice, Frostie Root Beer, Bubble Up, Nesbits Strawberry Soda, Grape Nehi
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 10:41:35 pm »
Does anyone else remember these vintage soda pops?  Collecting the bottles, finding them on the side of the road or in the trash and then turning them at the store for the deposit?  I use to get my pocket money that way :D and in the summer time spent it on more Pop!

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/4570/50129204544dc4cbf8mby1.jpg[/img]

Chocolate Yoo-Hoo, Kickapoo Joy Juice, Frostie Root Beer, Bubble Up, Nesbits Strawberry Soda, Grape Nehi

I remember Nehi!! That stuff was GOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Do they sell it anymore? I haven't seen it in years!

I used to collect bottles too! But they don't give refunds for bottles anymore in Indiana. In fact, I don't think they even sell soda in glass bottles here any longer. Those glass bottles had a down side to them too. Sometimes the mouth of the bottle would be chipped. Once I cut my lip on a chipped bottle, and I bled like a stuck pig for about 10 minutes! I'll never forget that. I think I was 5 or 6 when it happened.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 10:48:05 pm »
These old pictures of products are great  :)

Well, let's see:

Friday night cause school was over for the week.
Watching "Dark Shadows" after school.
Watching scary movies, especially late on Friday nights.
Listening and finding new music (yes, it goes back that far).
Buckburgers.

That's a few I can think of. Oh yeah, I remember Shake A Puddin'. Do they still make that

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 10:54:45 pm »
Poor David--that's a bad memory for a little 5 year old! You probably didn't even notice it.  My gran told me not to drink out of the chipped bottles because she said the glass might be inside. Of course---if she didn't catch it.......I'd do it anyway.

We used to have big 16 ounce Pepsis, and on Saturdays, my granny and I would "half" one and drink it out of a glass full of ice with popcorn while I watched "wrestling". LOL. That seems so funny now, that we  shared a bottle and we had a Pepsi only on Saturdays---it was a treat.

Yep--Grape Nehis were very tasty! I don't know if they still make those or not.

Remember Radar O'Reilly on M.A.S.H.? He always drank Grape Nehis, didn't he! I think he got "drunk" on them once.
 :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 11:34:25 pm »
Poor David--that's a bad memory for a little 5 year old! You probably didn't even notice it.  My gran told me not to drink out of the chipped bottles because she said the glass might be inside. Of course---if she didn't catch it.......I'd do it anyway.

We used to have big 16 ounce Pepsis, and on Saturdays, my granny and I would "half" one and drink it out of a glass full of ice with popcorn while I watched "wrestling". LOL. That seems so funny now, that we  shared a bottle and we had a Pepsi only on Saturdays---it was a treat.

Yep--Grape Nehis were very tasty! I don't know if they still make those or not.

Remember Radar O'Reilly on M.A.S.H.? He always drank Grape Nehis, didn't he! I think he got "drunk" on them once.
 :D

My Dad LOVED M*A*S*H! Dad is a veteran of the Korean war, and he always watched M*A*S*H each week. In fact, I think he still watches it when it airs on TVLand. Yup! Radar loved his Nehi!! And I think I remember the episode when he got drunk on them!  :laugh:

Well, let's see:

Buckburgers.

That's a few I can think of. Oh yeah, I remember Shake A Puddin'. Do they still make that

What is Shake A Puddin'? I don't think I remember it.

I remember Jiffy Pop! It came in a pan with a foil top. You heated it over the stove and the foil would expand as the popcorn popped inside of it. You had to shake it constantly so the popcorn wouldn't scortch.

I remember mom saying "Stand away while I pull open this foil or you'll get a steam burn!"  :laugh:

Anyone remember this commercial? I sure do!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNvHgPWFtbM[/youtube]

Her fried chicken wouldn't taste greasy if she'd drain it before she served it!!  >:(  :laugh:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 11:50:56 pm »

Well, let's see:

Buckburgers.

"Fantastic Features" came on from a Memphis TV station--can't remember whether it was on Friday or Saturday. But I would BEG someone to stay up with me to watch it.  Haha I was too afraid to watch alone, but I didn't want to miss it!!! The host was "Sivad" and later I learned that his real surname was Davis, so he spelled it backwards for his stage name. He wore a top hat and a cape--and fangs.

Did ya'll watch "The Twilight Zone"? That one scared me too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 12:03:08 am »

Did ya'll watch "The Twilight Zone"? That one scared me too!

YES!! Mom and Dad watched that show, and sometimes I would come downstairs and watch it with them. It scared the fire out of me! Remember "Night Gallery"? That was another scary show!

But here in Indy, Friday nights at 11:30 is when "Nightmare Theater" came on! Sammy Terry was the host of the show. Get it? Sammy Terry (Cemetery)!

Later, I found out the owner of the music store I took my violin and cello lessons at, was SAMMY TERRY!! His real name was Bob Carter. After I met "Sammy Terry" in person, and realized he was a nice guy, I wasn't so scared of him anymore. God, I remember watching "Nightmare Theater" in black and white!! haha! Anyone my age from Indiana would remember Nightmare Theater.

Then there was Science Fiction Theater on Saturday night! Both shows aired on Channel 4, a local television station here in Indy.  :)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 02:32:40 am »

Well, let's see:

Buckburgers.

I remember "Shake-a-Puddin'"--Chocolate, Vanilla or Banana. Just put it in the shaker cup, add water, shake and in minutes you'd have a creamy treat. And all in one container, which sure made Mom happy. I still remember the perky girls in the ads with there flip haircuts, mini skirts and Go-Go boots shaking it up to the tune of "Shake, Shake, Shake-a-Puddin'. Puddin-Puddin, Shake-a-Puddin' Mmmm- Mmmmm."

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 02:39:08 am »
Remember

"Funny Face"--Goofy Grape, Loud Mouth Lime, Chinese Cherry, and Injun Orange were only a few of the politically incorrect stereotypical personas lent to Pillsbury's answer to the popular Kool-Aid drink mixes of the day. The TV ads were strange. Goofy Grape was insane, (you could tell by the oversized Napoleon's hat he sported). Loud Mouth Lime was a big windbag, and Chinese Cherry looked like....... uh........ Well, let's just say that, soon after "Funny Face" was introduced, Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange were changed to Choo-Choo and Jolly Ollie, respectively. Soon after that "Funny Face" went into oblivion.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 02:52:50 am »
Remember

"Funny Face"--Goofy Grape, Loud Mouth Lime, Chinese Cherry, and Injun Orange were only a few of the politically incorrect stereotypical personas lent to Pillsbury's answer to the popular Kool-Aid drink mixes of the day. The TV ads were strange. Goofy Grape was insane, (you could tell by the oversized Napoleon's hat he sported). Loud Mouth Lime was a big windbag, and Chinese Cherry looked like....... uh........ Well, let's just say that, soon after "Funny Face" was introduced, Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange were changed to Choo-Choo and Jolly Ollie, respectively. Soon after that "Funny Face" went into oblivion.

Yes. "Injun" is a BAAAD word!! Even back then, I remember squirming a little when I heard it! But I also remember drinking Injun Orange Funny Faces when I was a kid. And I ALSO remember my Native American/ African American/ Creole Mother (GAWD! All kinds of possibilities there, huh?  ;) ) serving them to me. So it must have not been TOO bad; at least not back then.

Thanks for making me smile for a few minutes Dottie! I sure do remember Funny Faces, and they are a very good memory for me!  :D

But now that I think about it, they really didn't taste very good, did they?  ;)  :P  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 05:51:33 pm »
Remember this thing?

My sister got an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas when she was little. I think I played with it more than she did!  :laugh:

You put a light bulb in there, and it heated the inside of the oven. It really worked too! It came with all kinds of mixes. You could make cakes and brownies in it.

They tasted terrible, but that wasn't the point, was it?  :laugh:

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 06:15:56 pm »
David, I think you should bake us up a cake and some brownies in the Easy Bake :)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »
I think the one they had here on Friday nights was called "Inferno" and it was on channel 7. I remember it would start out with some kind of monster coming out screaming. I think we had "Science Fiction Theatre" on Saturday nights too it. I remember something like that. One movie I remember in particular was "Planet of Blood." This space crew picked up this beautiful woman on a planet and she would suck their blood out at night killing them. Near the end they killed her, but as they approached Earth they found that she had laid eggs all over the ship.

We also had "Shock Theatre" on Saturday afternoons. I remember "Night Gallery" and I still love seeing the old reruns of "Twilight Zone." There was another show called "Journey to the Unknown."

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 09:26:37 pm »
How about The Outer Limits?  Remember that show?  Sort of like the Twilight Zone.  Remember the Alfred Hitchcock show?  It was an hour long show that was sort of creepy.  Remember the show called Fury?  It was a show about a boy and his horse and was on every Saturday morning, and then after Fury came a show called Sky King, about a airplane pilot who was also in some sort of law enforcement I think.  Does anyone remember Sky King?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 09:45:13 pm »
How about The Outer Limits?  Remember that show?  Sort of like the Twilight Zone.  Remember the Alfred Hitchcock show?  It was an hour long show that was sort of creepy.  Remember the show called Fury?  It was a show about a boy and his horse and was on every Saturday morning, and then after Fury came a show called Sky King, about a airplane pilot who was also in some sort of law enforcement I think.  Does anyone remember Sky King?

I remember The Outer Limits, Dobie. I remember The Alfred Hitchcock Show too. But I don't think I remember Sky King.  :)

Remember Dennis The Menace? That was one of my favorite shows growing up. I was a lot like Dennis, I think. I was always getting into trouble. People called me a "dickins". I think I could relate to Dennis, and that's why I liked the show so much.

David, I think you should bake us up a cake and some brownies in the Easy Bake :)

I wonder what ever happened to that crazy oven? Mom probably sold it in a yard sale or something.  :-\

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 10:10:35 pm »
Does anyone remember Sky King?

The television version starred Kirby Grant as Sky King and Gloria Winters as his teenager niece Penny. Other regular characters included his nephew Clipper, played by Ron Hagerthy, and Mitch the sheriff, played by Ewing Mitchell. Mitch was always coming to Sky for help.

I remember always wanting to watch it on Saturdays, but I can't remember any specific episodes. I watched "Rin Tin Tin" too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 10:22:06 pm »
Oh yeah, I definitely know of the Outer Limits and the Alfred Hitchcock Show. Both of those are great  :) I'm not sure if I know of Sky King. Did they use to jump out of the plane? And Dennis the Menace, I remember watching that after school and eating a peanut butter sandwich and chocolate milk.

David, you have to find that oven since we are all coming to Indy for cakes and brownies. If you don't find it what will you cook them on  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 11:17:02 pm »
Oh yeah, I definitely know of the Outer Limits and the Alfred Hitchcock Show. Both of those are great  :) I'm not sure if I know of Sky King. Did they use to jump out of the plane? And Dennis the Menace, I remember watching that after school and eating a peanut butter sandwich and chocolate milk.

David, you have to find that oven since we are all coming to Indy for cakes and brownies. If you don't find it what will you cook them on  ;)

WHAT?? MORE COMPANY??!!!! I just cooked for 14 people yesterday!!  :laugh:

Well, if you do show up, I'll bake some cookies, cakes and brownies in my regular oven. No more baking with a light bulb for me!  :P :D

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 08:07:21 am »
But then David they would not have that special light bulb flavor  :)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 09:55:49 am »
Wow! I love this thread!
Seeing the wylers funny face mixes! I loved those growing up. I still have some of the cups you could get from saving the pouches and sending them in! Jiffy pop was a treat we had on nights when a special came on tv like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Wizard of Oz or any of the holiday specials.
I loved yoo-hoo and still have one every now and then. My daughter really loves it.
Does anyone remember fizzies? I think the commercial said somthing about having a fizzy party. It was like a Kool-aide but in an effevescent tablet like an alka seltzer. You would drop it in yor glass of water and it would fiz and color and flavor your drink. I loved watching scary movies when I was a kid. Gave myself nightmares! There was one about a pool that was filled with acid and a lady went for a night swim and jumped in and, well you can guess what happened. I think it may have been a night gallery episode I'm not sure. To this day I will never just jump in a pool ecspecially at night without sticking my foot in first! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 06:39:27 pm »
I remember us having Jiffy Pop on special nights too. Speaking of the Wizard of Oz, it seems like it used to come on like on a year and was a big occasion. It does seem like I remember fizzies. I remember something like that, but I can't place it for sure. Hey, what happens to your foot if it is a pool of acid  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 06:50:28 pm »
Does anyone remember fizzies? I think the commercial said somthing about having a fizzy party. It was like a Kool-aide but in an effevescent tablet like an alka seltzer. You would drop it in yor glass of water and it would fiz and color and flavor your drink. I loved watching scary movies when I was a kid. Gave myself nightmares! There was one about a pool that was filled with acid

*David raises his hand*

I remember those!  :D

They tasted like carbonated Kool-Aid. Ours never made it into a pitcher of water though. I'd steal them, sneak them into my room and lick them! haha. I guess I liked the feeling of the bubbles on my tongue. I've said it over and over on here, and I'll say it again.... I was a weird kid!  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 06:59:49 pm »
I remember us having Jiffy Pop on special nights too. Speaking of the Wizard of Oz, it seems like it used to come on like on a year and was a big occasion. It does seem like I remember fizzies. I remember something like that, but I can't place it for sure. Hey, what happens to your foot if it is a pool of acid  ;)

Yup!  :D

It only came on once a year. And we didn't have any VCRs back then to tape it if we wouldn't be home when the show came on.

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 05:38:01 am »
I can remember Sky King.  Maybe I saw some of the reruns instead of the show itself.  It was like a modern day western with the star of the show using an airplane to track down the bad guys or searching for someone who was lost.  Sky King was a decent TV show as I remember it.

I also remember Shock Watch that came on WSAZ-TV Channel 3 in Huntington, WVA on saturday nights after the news and weather about 11:30 PM.  The host of the show would come out of his coffin to get the movies started. Shock Watch always had the old horror film classics.  Some of the movies I remember from Shock Watch were: Dracula with Bela Lugosi, The Mummy, Daughter of Dracula, House of Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.  My brother and myself were allowed to stay up until 2 AM on saturday night which was about the time that Shock Watch went off the air.

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 07:32:41 pm »
How many of you had a V-RROOM attached to your bicycle? I did! I asked for one for Christmas. I don't think I had it on my bicycle for more than 3 months before Dad ripped it off my bike and threw it away! It drove him nuts. So, after that, I resorted to attaching playing cards to my bike spokes to make those cool motor sounds!  :laugh:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0dK42wOOA[/youtube]

Thats interesting David.  My kids must have fallen into the gap because I never heard of that gadget.  I'm kinda glad too. ::)

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 07:37:19 pm »
This isn't exactly one of my favorite childhood memories, but who could EVER forget that "Flintstones" commercial?

It played for years, and I remember seeing it on TV all the time when I was a kid. I won't even tell you what it's about. You'll just have to watch the commercial and see for yourself. But it sure is a blast from the past for those of us old enough to remember it!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7voOuURHTvE[/youtube]

Isn't that just amazing that cigarette ads accompanied children's programming.  Not that The Flintstones was only for kids, but primarily I think.

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 07:39:17 pm »

Those were so much  fun!!! I could be entertained for a long time with either one of them. I copied the comic section of the paper on my Silly Putty,too, but I didn't chew it.  :P They still sell thiis stuff at Cracker Barrel! Thanks for the memories, David.

Shasta, some of us don't know what a Cracker Barrel is though.

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 07:42:50 pm »

I remember all of these, except Kickapoo Joy Juice.  I always thought that Kickapoo Joy Juice was a made up thing - a reference to something that had some kind of extra "kick" to it - as in alcohol.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 11:46:31 pm »
I remember all of these, except Kickapoo Joy Juice.  I always thought that Kickapoo Joy Juice was a made up thing - a reference to something that had some kind of extra "kick" to it - as in alcohol.
I thought everybody knew about Kickapoo Joy Juice  :) Just joking, I have never heard of it. Has anyone ever heard of the drink called Orbitz? It has these bits of something suspended in the bottle.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2007, 09:15:33 am »
Shasta, some of us don't know what a Cracker Barrel is though.

Cracker Barrel is a restaurant on one side and a store on the other side. A lot of the things in the store part are in the "nostalgia" category. Christmas is great at Cracker Barrel.

Most of the time the stores are close to the interstate and people stop to eat breakfast there a lot. Meals are served all day, though.

Here is a site:

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/index.cfm

There are 10 of them in AR, and there are some in 41 states. I don't know where you live, but there is a map on the website and it will tell you where the stores are located (if you are in the U.S.). I don't know if there are any Cracker Barrels outside the country.

Anyway---good food, good shoppin'!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2007, 09:28:09 am »
When I was in the 6th grade (you know---the big kids on campus), at lunch time we were allowed to walk off campus to a little store across the street. It was like -- the coolest thing -- (we lived in a farming community---cool was defined differently). You know--away from school authorities; out without parents, etc.

Anyway--the lady at the store made sandwiches, and we bought chips and coke, and candy there if we didn't want to eat in the lunchroom that day. I always bought a Pommac. It was a carbonated drink that looked like beer. That added to the coolness of eating "off campus".

I hadn't thought about it (or seen one) in years until you all started talking about different soft drinks. So I looked it up---it has a very interesting history.

Pommac is a Swedish carbonated soft drink made of fruits and berries and matured in oak barrels for 3 months. The first pommac was made in 1919. The name comes from "Pomm" as in pomme, apple in French, and "ac" as it is matured on oak barrels like cognac. The recipe is kept a secret.

In 1919, Anders Lindahl, a failed businessman from Hudiksvall moved to Stockholm, Sweden, and founded Fructus Fabriker and began to make Pommac. The recipe was made by a Finland-Swedish inventor. The drink was made for the upper classes as an alcohol free substitute for wine.

Dr Pepper distributed a formulation of it in the US as a diet drink from 1963 to 1969 in six-and-a-half- and ten-ounce bottles. It took a while for people to become accustomed to the taste, so sales were slow. When sales remained stagnant after six years, and its sweetener, sodium cyclamate, was banned, Dr Pepper discontinued the product.

Some of its loyal (particularly younger) fans thought of it as "near beer." Pommac is also served as ersatz champagne for teetotallers and car drivers on public celebrations.

Have any of you ever heard of Pommac--or had one? I thought they were very tasty, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2007, 12:42:29 pm »
I haven't heard of Pommac. It sounds very interesting, but I doubt I could find one now from the sounds of it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2007, 12:43:38 pm »
Breakfast is excellent at Cracker Barrell!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2007, 07:18:16 pm »
I thought everybody knew about Kickapoo Joy Juice  :) Just joking, I have never heard of it. Has anyone ever heard of the drink called Orbitz? It has these bits of something suspended in the bottle.

I've heard of Orbitz gum, but never Orbitz drinks. What's floating in there? Candy or something? I can't imagine what it could be.

I remember they once sold a drink, a liqueur I think and they put little gold flakes in it. Real gold. But I think they stopped selling it once they figured out people shouldn't consume metallic objects.  :P

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2007, 07:20:57 pm »
I've heard of Orbitz gum, but never Orbitz drinks. What's floating in there? Candy or something? I can't imagine what it could be.

I remember they once sold a drink, a liqueur I think and they put little gold flakes in it. Real gold. But I think they stopped selling it once they figured out people shouldn't consume metallic objects.  :P
No, they still sell Goldschlager! Taht stuff is evil! Almost as bad as Jagermiester but not quite!
I have seen orbitz drinks but could never make myself drink it. It was like a gel more than a liquid with flavor orbz floating in it!
 :P
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 04:15:47 pm »
No, they still sell Goldschlager! Taht stuff is evil! Almost as bad as Jagermiester but not quite!
I have seen orbitz drinks but could never make myself drink it. It was like a gel more than a liquid with flavor orbz floating in it!
 :P

That stuff puts a whole new spin on the phrase "shit a golden brick".

Think about it for a minute.  ;)  :laugh:

I haven't seen that around here in years. I just assumed they pulled it off the shelves. I've always been curious about it, but I never did try it. Eating/drinking gold doesn't sound very tasty to me. I know they sometimes sprinkle gold on the cakes and desserts at the Academy Awards, which also sounds very strange to me. 

Yuck.  :P

Thanks Lee. I'll start looking for Goldschlager. Maybe I'll even try it sometime if I can work up enough nerves.  :)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 04:24:43 pm »
Maybe I'll even try it sometime if I can work up enough nerves.
Do so at your own risk my friend!! You've been warned. :laugh:  :laugh:
So, if ya can't find any I'll senf ya a bottle! LOL :laugh:

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 12:59:36 pm »
Here is what Orbitz looks like. Some people would actually get sick thinking or looking at them. They did not go over in the United States, but apparently they are still made and are popular in some other countries. I wonder what would happen if you rode the Gravitron with one of these? They both defy gravity, so what would be the outcome?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 04:19:10 pm »
Here is what Orbitz looks like. Some people would actually get sick thinking or looking at them. They did not go over in the United States, but apparently they are still made and are popular in some other countries. I wonder what would happen if you rode the Gravitron with one of these? They both defy gravity, so what would be the outcome?

Ewww. Those are big aren't they? I can understand why this drink didn't catch on in this country. Americans don't like things floating around in their drinks. Generally we think it's a mistake. It shouldn't be there. Kind of like a bug floating in a can of coke.

:P  :P

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2007, 04:29:13 pm »
Great idea for a new Coke drink David  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2007, 06:18:50 pm »

Ewww. Those are big aren't they? I can understand why this drink didn't catch on in this country. Americans don't like things floating around in their drinks. Generally we think it's a mistake. It shouldn't be there. Kind of like a bug floating in a can of coke.

:P  :P
Down here folks put peanuts in their coke! I've never been a big fan of that but I know a lot of folks who are.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2007, 06:29:40 pm »
One of my favorite memories is not my own, but one my sister gave me.

She was right older than me and knew our grandparents better. The family lived within walking distance of each other and she would go down to MaMa & PaPa's when she knew MaMa would be getting the corn bread out of the oven and she would always ask "Do you want a piece to take with you?" as a way of shooing her out the door and she'd nod her head yes.

MaMa would cut her off a piece and slice it and slather it with home made butter she had churned herself and wrap it up in wax paper and fold it up to where it perfectly fit the piece of cornbread and she'd hand it to her and told her; "Now don't open it till you get home" and she would run back home, holding it over her head with the butter running down her arm.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2007, 08:17:07 pm »
Truman, your post reminded me of a song that always makes me think about growing up in the south. It doesn't mention cornbread, but for some reason I thought it did. It sure does remind me of those days though. It's called "Flies on the Butter" by Wynonna Judd. You'd probably have to hear it to get the feeling cause the way it sounds along with the words is what takes you back. I know it's got a weird title and I don't remember any flies on the butter  :) Here are the words:

Flies On the Butter

Old tin roof, leaves in the gutter
A hole in the screen door big as your fist, and flies on the butter
Mamaw baking sugar cookies, we were watching cartoons
Heard her holler from the kitchen which one of you youngin's wants to lick the spoon?
Yellow jackets on the watermelon, honeysuckle in the air
Daddy turning on the sprinkler, us kids running through it in our underwear
Old dog napping on the front porch, his ear just a-twitching
Fell asleep on Granddaddy's lap to the sound of his pocket watch ticking

Oh, oh, oh - Oh, oh, oh
It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago
Oh, oh, oh - Oh, oh, oh
You can dream about it every now and then
But you can't go home again

Me and my best friend Jenny set up a back yard camp
Stole one of Mama's Mason jars, poked holes in the lid and made a fire fly lamp
Me and Billy Monroe sneaking down by the river
And I'm still haunted by the taste kiss I was too scared to give him

Oh, oh, oh - Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh - Oh, oh, oh

There's a black-top road, a faded yellow centerline
It can take you back to the place, but it can't take you back in time

Oh, oh, oh - Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh - Oh, oh, oh

Old tin roof, leaves in the gutter
A hole in the screen door big as your fist, and flies on the butter

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »
My favorite toy from childhood.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6a9b9BLyJU[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 04:40:10 pm »
My favorite cartoon from childhood.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlquD61Raw4[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!