Author Topic: What is the happiest scene?  (Read 20888 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: What is the happiest scene?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:30 pm »
The scene that left me feeling happiest for them was the transition scene after they had separated Aguirre's sheep from the Chilean sheep, they are riding off together, Jack is making "noises" on his harmonica and Ennis says to him, "you better stop that or you'll run off the sheep again" (or appx that)
They were genuinely bonding, enjoying each others company, and earning their pay doing a really difficult job.

Offline heath4oscar

• Don't Say Much
  • Here and there
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 09:25:52 am »
For me, the happiest scene is the last one.  This may seem odd but it is the only glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak landscape.

It is obvious that Ennis's daughter loves him.  I hang onto that as the only positive thing about this story.  One day, she will take care of him. 
"I don't get you Ennis del Mar!"

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 06:26:46 am »
For me, the happiest scene is the last one.  This may seem odd but it is the only glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak landscape.

It is obvious that Ennis's daughter loves him.  I hang onto that as the only positive thing about this story.  One day, she will take care of him. 

Hi and welcome heath4oscar! I agree with you about the glimmer of hope being Ennis's daughter! She does love him dearly, doesn't she?

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 09:58:46 pm »
For me, I think the happiest scene is the reunion scene.   For that 5 minutes or so, all is right with the world - it's just the two of them together - there's no one else in the world, if you know what I mean.  The dozy embrace scene is a close second for the same reason - time stands still for those wonderful tender moments and it's just the two of them, and no one else. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 11:37:27 pm »
I'm reviving this lovely, old thread tonight because I feel like our community needs a little joy, comfort and happiness these tough days.

As I always say, the scene I think is happiest changes from viewing to viewing.

Following my little private screening of BBM on Friday... I'm struck by two moments of pure happiness.

One is very abstract (and I think has been mentioned before)...
It's when the boys are moving from their first to their second camp.  It's right after they've really bonded following the fun conversation between Jack and Ennis where Ennis laughs and smiles broadly for the first time.  There's just such a wonderful sense of contentment and very simple happiness in that little transition between camps.  Of course, it's before they're lovers... but the idea that they are really enjoying each others' friendship is already established.  The music and the one, beautiful high-pitched bird call just convey pure, platonic joy.

The second thing that really struck me was the pure joy in the "happy tussle" scene that immediately follows TS2.  This is such an abstract scene because of it's silence... but the playful, and now erotic interactions between Ennis and Jack also convey a very simple and pure sense of joy.  Perhaps because during this moment they're free of worry and enjoying the beginning stages of discovery in their romance.  (Of course this peaceful joy is marred immediately when we realize we as viewers are seeing the scene in the position of Aguirre... or through Aguirre's binoculars... it's actually sort of a shock to the viewer to realize that the silence of the scene is due to the fact that we're very specifically located at a far distance and are seeing the scene through the vantage point of a hostile character... still before this realization is made... the happy tussle is wonderful).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:52 am »
Thanks very much atz75!

It is great that you accent this thread, unknown to me and which accents joys (which we all need now and forever do)!!

About your comment: why do you called them abstracts?? May I ask.

Keep care,

hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 12:48:55 am »

I think I'm calling the "move from camp 1 to camp 2" and the "happy tussle" abstractions only because we witness both from such a great distance and both are free of dialogue/ silent.  Though, granted, there are many, many poignant silent moments in BBM. 

That said, the feeling of happiness I get from the "move from camp 1 to camp 2" scene is particularly abstract.  For me it hinges on the quality of light, the tone of the music and probably most specifically the sound of the bird call.  In a way, the happiness I perceive here is based on elements of the scene that don't hinge primarily on the activities of Ennis or Jack... but I project my happiness that I find in these things (music, light, bird) onto Ennis and Jack.  This is what I mean by abstract here... although the word might not be exactly accurate.  It's most definitely subjective and personal.

I'd say that the sensation of happiness in relation to the "happy tussle" is significantly less "abstract."  But, something about the complete silence and the distance we have on the boys makes it very surreal to me.   But definitely happy.

Again, these are just entirely my own, personal impressions.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:52 am »
*bump* for TT :)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:46 am »
I dont know if I've ever posted on this one.....

The happiest scene for me was the reunion scene......

Having not read the book, and knowing nothing about the story when I first saw the movie, I was sitting there quite anxious at the thought of them meeting up again, and wondering if it was going to be awkward or even no emtion at all....so when Ennis grabbed Jack, I breathed a sigh of relief and thought, YES YES YES, this is better than I ever imagined it could be.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:17 am »
I think the happiest scene was the reunion scene, the smile on Ennis' face when he sees Jack's truck pull up, the hug, the kiss, it was just so great.

I also love the "rodeo fuck-ups" scene.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!