Author Topic: Disney bows out of 3rd Narnia film  (Read 2697 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Disney bows out of 3rd Narnia film
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:07:11 pm »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The Walt Disney Co will not partner on a third film in the "Narnia" franchise it shares with Walden Media because of "budgetary considerations and other logistics," a Disney spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081224/film_nm/us_disney_narnia

Shame.  I really liked the quality of the films.

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
Re: Disney bows out of 3rd Narnia film
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 06:19:33 pm »
Cold tidings for Caspian this morning, as Walt Disney Studios announced that they will not be co-producing and co-financing the adaptation of CS Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the third of the Narnia films. This leaves Walden Media, the other big force behind the films, to find another partner if the film is indeed to hit screens in 2010.

Disney cited "budgetary and logistical" reasons for the move, which probably translates as "it's very expensive, and the last one didn't do so brilliantly at the box office". Prince Caspian made a hair under $420 million at the worldwide box office, compared to $745 million for its predecessor The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Prince Caspian also cost in the region of $200 million, and given that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader would present more logistical difficulties given its sea-borne nature, the studio presumably thought it was a bit of a gamble - and the recent failure of other non-Potter kids fantasy films like The Golden Compass may further have put the wind up them. Disney's withdrawal also casts doubt on the involvement of talent like planned director Michael Apted and screenwriter Steven Knight.

But all may not be lost! Walden Media works closely with Fox on most of its productions, so it may yet persuade Fox to step in. Watch this space for further news.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=23934

I agree. Very sad indeed. I've always loved the Narnia Books, and the first two movies were quite extraordinary.  :'(

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 01:04:19 pm »
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The Walt Disney Co will not partner on a third film in the "Narnia" franchise it shares with Walden Media because of "budgetary considerations and other logistics," a Disney spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081224/film_nm/us_disney_narnia

Shame.  I really liked the quality of the films.

I haven't seen them yet, although I loved the books as a teenager.  Thanks for the recommendation, del!  :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:36:42 pm »
I haven't seen them yet, although I loved the books as a teenager.  Thanks for the recommendation, del!  :-*

I do recommend the movies.  The casting of the children was perfection and their burgeoning talents made their acting seem all the more sincere.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:40:49 pm »
Cold tidings for Caspian this morning, as Walt Disney Studios announced that they will not be co-producing and co-financing the adaptation of CS Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the third of the Narnia films. This leaves Walden Media, the other big force behind the films, to find another partner if the film is indeed to hit screens in 2010.

Disney cited "budgetary and logistical" reasons for the move, which probably translates as "it's very expensive, and the last one didn't do so brilliantly at the box office". Prince Caspian made a hair under $420 million at the worldwide box office, compared to $745 million for its predecessor The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Prince Caspian also cost in the region of $200 million, and given that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader would present more logistical difficulties given its sea-borne nature, the studio presumably thought it was a bit of a gamble - and the recent failure of other non-Potter kids fantasy films like The Golden Compass may further have put the wind up them. Disney's withdrawal also casts doubt on the involvement of talent like planned director Michael Apted and screenwriter Steven Knight.

But all may not be lost! Walden Media works closely with Fox on most of its productions, so it may yet persuade Fox to step in. Watch this space for further news.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=23934

I agree. Very sad indeed. I've always loved the Narnia Books, and the first two movies were quite extraordinary.  :'(

Seems strange in this day and age that when a movie makes nearly half a billion dollars in box office, it's considered a 'failure'.