Author Topic: Old Joy (2006 movie)  (Read 2212 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Old Joy (2006 movie)
« on: September 02, 2007, 02:51:50 pm »
Have any of you seen this?     It's a small art film, set in Oregon, about two old pals who take a long road trip up into the backwoods in search of a hot springs area.  It has very spare music by Yo La Tengo, a campfire scene, tent, a dog.    Sound familiar a bit?   

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Old Joy (2006 movie)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:14:52 pm »
Nobody?
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

retropian

Re: Old Joy (2006 movie) Warning! Spoilers!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:34:07 pm »
Wow. I can't believe no one has discussed this film. I saw it on DVD a long time ago and have been haunted by it ever since. It really affected me, but not to the degree of BBM of course. It'll come to mind seemingly out of the blue from time to time. It's such a quiet low key film where little seems to be happening on the surface but there seems to be an ocean of meaning hidden just out of sight. I really should watch it again.

SPOILERS AHEAD.
Two friends who's lives have diverged spend a weekend together looking for some hot springs in the Oregon woods. One is now essentially a suburbanite, with a wife or girlfriend and about to become a father for the 1st time. The other life seemingly hasn't changed course, he's a rambler, a drifter, has he always been so? Which of these two are lost? Both? Neither? Where they once lovers? They get lost in the woods together, but eventually find the hot springs, together. Do they share a sexual experience? Or is their small adventure just a revelation that they can no longer be in each others lives? It's such an intriguing movie.