Author Topic: TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?  (Read 16571 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 11:05:58 pm »
OOOOO!!!   A musical!!!!  Complete with  killer mechanics dancing with exploding tires.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 11:11:01 pm »

Well mayb.....?? NOOOOOOO... :laugh: :laugh:

Now stop that Clyde-B you silly boy.

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 11:18:47 pm »
Just be thankful I didn't mention the singing shirts.   Or Mrs. Twist's Cherry Cake song.  (They're going to have to find some guy who can spit to music.) OOOOOPS!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 01:50:31 pm »
......I would prefer to see another film with Jack as well as Ennis rather than just Ennis alone,... so the co-quel concept is appealing.  Maybe it could be one of those scenarios where Jack isn't really dead but in some hospital somewhere waiting for Ennis to come find him, etc. ;)

So, at this point my answer is... I think it would be fun to see more of this story. :)

You have the same exact thoughts as me. I would not want to see any kind of movie without both Jack and Ennis in it. My scenario in my head has always been one where Jack isn't really dead. Now, the idea of him being in a hospital somewhere waiting for Ennis to find him.......I LIKE THAT  ;)  I know or have heard that there was a big debate over the "Dead Jack" thing so I don't mean to start that up again  :) I have just always thought there was something out that window at the end of the movie that Ennis needs to find....namely Jack. I sure didn't see any ashes anywhere or anything that proved Jack was dead. All I heard were Laureen's explanation and Mr. Twist's thoughts. That's not enough to prove it to me. Mrs. Twist......now she knows the real answer  ;D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 04:38:56 pm »
The more I think about it I can imagine a sequal, but it would not be Ennis, it would be us.

It would feature a lonely middle aged balding man driving in a Geo Metro 150 miles to the nearest theater showing Brokeback Mountain.

It would have two widows, both mothers of gay men, one who has died of Aids and one who has taken his life.

It would have a pimple faced 17 year old and his fag hag girlfriends who would all cry together.

It would have a straight couple married for 33 years sitting in the back in stoned silence.

There would be black folks and white folks and every shade in between, all sitting in the dark, all emerging into a world that will never be the same......

(And then they meet on line and have wonderful adventures together.)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 08:11:47 pm »
   I tend to see the story as the saga of Ennis del Mar.  I wish Jack were alive, but I fear he's not, and to write it so that he was would be false to the sense of reality that gives the story it's strength.

One of the most horrific prospects any of us face is how to carry on after the one we love dies.  Should we just roll over and play dead?  As distasteful as it is, it is a future many of us face, maybe Ennis could show us how to do it.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 09:32:35 pm »
As much as I would love there to be one, I'm hesitant, because sequels oftentimes do not measure up to the original.  And it certainly would have big shoes to fill, Brokeback is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and so complex.  I could never see anyone other than Heath and Jake as Ennis and Jack in a sequel either.    :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 01:52:47 am »
The more I think about it I can imagine a sequal, but it would not be Ennis, it would be us.

It would feature a lonely middle aged balding man driving in a Geo Metro 150 miles to the nearest theater showing Brokeback Mountain.

It would have two widows, both mothers of gay men, one who has died of Aids and one who has taken his life.

It would have a pimple faced 17 year old and his fag hag girlfriends who would all cry together.

It would have a straight couple married for 33 years sitting in the back in stoned silence.

There would be black folks and white folks and every shade in between, all sitting in the dark, all emerging into a world that will never be the same......

(And then they meet on line and have wonderful adventures together.)

Truman,

that is a great idea!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline malina

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 12:43:57 pm »

Yes... this is what I was thinking all along while reading this thread, but the thought just couldn't reach the coherent part of my brain. I'm glad someone else said it.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:37 pm »
Yes and No.

Yes, I'd like to see a sequel.    What happens to Ennis.  Alma jrs wedding.     Ennis goes to Lightning Flat to get Jacks ashes.    Ennis meets a new BF.

No.   I wouldn't like it if different actors played the key characters.     And you just know that Heath and Jake want to distance themselves from anything BBM related.

I'd especially like to see what happens at Junior's wedding -- deciding to go is no small step for Ennis to take since he'll have to interact with Alma at least a little and she (and probably, by extension, Monroe) is one of those people who looks at him and "knows."  And I wouldn't rule out the possibility of his either getting to carry out Jack's wishes or getting involved with someone new, heretical as some may think that.

But I just can't see anyone but Heath and Jake in those roles, and even if they were interested in doing it, it could be a minefield. The original movie wasn't just their work, it was the combined work of the director, writers, tech people and even if you could get that whole team together again there's no guarantee that lightning would strike twice.