Author Topic: Old Man Twist is in an AMEX commercial  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Old Man Twist is in an AMEX commercial
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »
Hey, has anyone seen this American Express commercial? 

It doesn't seem to be posted on YouTube, but in it John McEnroe discovers that American Express has a dispute resolution service.  He jumps in a car and drives 11 hours to visit an umpire that he had a famous dispute with in his tennis days.  The guy opens the door and McEnroe gives him a big hug.  It's Peter McRobbie!  They must have needed someone who could look crabby, so they called Old Man Twist.  ;D

Also, when I was at dinner with Brokies last night at a BBQ place here, suddenly I looked up and saw L. D. Newsome on the TV!  Graham Beckel is featured in a commercial for the Armed Services, so keep an eye out for it.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Old Man Twist is in an AMEX commercial
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:50:45 pm »
I'll be watching for those two, Meryl--  in the meantime....last night I saw Old Man Twist (okay, Peter McRobbie  ;)) on Law & Order again.  I've seen him several times on there as a judge, but last night was one from 2001, I believe, and he played the part of a priest.
Does Mr. McRobbie always look crabby?!  Have you seen him smiling?

Quite a while back on the Bean Site I think we had a poll regarding which of the Dads was the worst.

>:(                     >:(                     >:(

Old Man Twist      Mr. Del Mar          L.D. Newsome

I think I'm still undecided.    :P :laugh:
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:32:55 am »
Quite a while back on the Bean Site I think we had a poll regarding which of the Dads was the worst.

Yikes, that is a hard choice, isn't it?  Poor Jack had to put up with two of the three!  :P

It's interesting--I looked up Peter McRobbie on IMDB, and most of his roles either have something to do with the law or the priesthood.  He just has that look of JUDGMENT!  ;D

Ironically, he played the father of Maggie Gyllenhaal's character in World Trade Center.  That would make a good trivia question: which actor has played the father of two actor siblings in two separate movies?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:13:49 am »
Good eyes Meryl! Your findings are neat....

I can just imagine what those AMEX penalities are for late or skipped payments....Peter McRobbie will personally come to your house and spit in your coffee cup!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:19:26 am by BBM-Cat »
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:20:42 am »
Yikes, that is a hard choice, isn't it?  Poor Jack had to put up with two of the three!  :P

Here's a sad thought - of the three bad dads, maybe the one that made Jack's life the worst was actually the one he never met, because he's the one who terrorized Ennis into being unable to risk the sweet life. 

:(

I'm goin a find that poll and bannerize it soon!  Thanks Meryl and Melinda.  :-*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:31:03 am »

I'm goin a find that poll and bannerize it soon! 

I couldn't find it, could someone else look and PM me if you find it?  While you're looking, PM me any other polls you would like to see bannered.  :)

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 10:28:57 am »

For me, it's Mr. Del Mar. The man was a possible murderer, and even if not, certainly condoned murder and terrorized his children with the witnessing of its aftermath.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 02:49:25 pm »
for late or skipped payments....Peter McRobbie will personally come to your house and spit in your coffee cup!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"You said the check was in the mail. But like most of your payments, it never come to pass ..."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Here's a sad thought - of the three bad dads, maybe the one that made Jack's life the worst was actually the one he never met, because he's the one who terrorized Ennis into being unable to risk the sweet life. 

:(

I thought exactly the same when I read Meryl's comment of Jack having to put up with two out of three. I thought it's even worse, he had to put up with all three of them, even when he never met Ennis's father.  :(

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:52:08 pm »
I thought exactly the same when I read Meryl's comment of Jack having to put up with two out of three. I thought it's even worse, he had to put up with all three of them, even when he never met Ennis's father.  :(

How true, and how sad.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:20:32 pm »
I'll keep an eye out for the commercials.  I haven't seen any yet.

Thanks for the heads-up!
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:35:29 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"You said the check was in the mail. But like most of your payments, it never come to pass ..."

LOL!  :laugh:  :laugh:

...We got us a repository...and your payment is GOING IN IT

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?