Author Topic: Your favorite, secret (not for long), comfort food!  (Read 38899 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: You favorite, secret (not for long), comfort food!
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 04:22:59 am »
Oh my. Reading this thread makes me greedy for every second thing that's mentioned  ::).

David, your biscuits look similar to scones in GB. Oh, I love the British tea time: tea with milk, scones and clotted cream. In Germany nobody drinks tea with milk, that's why I didn't like tea before I learned how to do it right in England  ;D.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 05:00:57 am »
anything made out of sweet potatoes

Oh. Oooh. Oooooooohhhhh. I only had sweet potatoes once in my life. It was sweet potatoe fries and I had it when Lee and I stopped for lunch on our way to Estes Park. I was and still am enthusiastic about it. I would so love to eat it again and to try other things made of sweet potatoes. You can't get sweet potatoes in Germany (well, I guess in specialized delicacy shops in bigger cities you will get them, but not around here).
*sigh* I would like to eat them right now. Hey, that's another reason to go back next year (as if I needed more reasons...  ;)).

Other than that, I like most of the foods people have mentioned. Chrissi, I've never heard of "malt candies." Do they have them here? Would I like them about as much as you like marshmallows?  ;)

They are made of caramelized sugar syrup and barley malt and they have indeed a very particular flavor. I know only few people who like it. That's one of the best things about them: my children and husband don't like them  ;D.

Oh yes, the marshmellows. I had one of the best things I ever ate on that trip: sweet potatoe fries ( :D), and one of the worst things: grilled marshmellows ( :P). But we had a good laugh about it, didn't we?  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 05:04:30 am »
Oh my. Reading this thread makes me greedy for every second thing that's mentioned  ::).

David, your biscuits look similar to scones in GB. Oh, I love the British tea time: tea with milk, scones and clotted cream. In Germany nobody drinks tea with milk, that's why I didn't like tea before I learned how to do it right in England  ;D.

Hi Chrissi!

Yes, Alex (my British boyfriend) says British scones and American biscuits are very similar, except we don't put currants in ours. Our biscuits are baked with nothing inside of them. But many people will split them open and add butter to them when served as a side dish during supper time.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:33 am »
We've been talking about scones, and now Alex wants me to try kippers for breakfast sometime soon!

He said I should try it as a comfort food.

uhhhhh............ huh-uh! I don't think so!  :P :P

What do ya'll think? Should I try it? Would you try it?

Well, maybe. God, what we won't do for love!  :laugh:

I don't even know if we can buy kippers in Indiana. Maybe I'll be saved by the bell at the last minute.   :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 05:44:30 am »
Being startled and slightly freaked out by that kippers picture made me want to post that dog picture to "get you back," David, but that would be too cruel to you and everyone else reading.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 05:53:00 am »
kippers were one of the only fish i actually really enjoyed before I was a veggie - they def are a comfort food.

Try them! In scotland they are often a breakfast dish. Very very fishy tasting but nice!

Ah scones! and you put a thick meaty gravy over them?

see we would often have plain scones but eould put butter or a jam in it.. but not something savory.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 06:51:40 am »
Way back in response to Amanda's post ---> I love rye toast. And a diner breakfast is also a favorite. At Guidi's here in Westbrook, my standard breakfast order is 2 eggs over easy, sausage, a few home fries, and 1 slice of rye toast. They'll sell you a "few" home fries for 30 cents. I like grits with my breakfast, too, but you couldn't order a grit here in Maine if your life depended on it. I don't think you could find biscuits with sausage gravy, either. I have had them but not here in the northeast.

And Chrissi for you --> another comfort food for me is a salami and cheese sandwich on a kaiser roll, made with mustard!

David ---> tell Alex he can keep his kippers! That is a food you can find around here, but I don't like them.

Scott --> where were you when I was posting pictures of deep fried oreos on my blog and wondering what on earth they tasted like?

We have a wonderful bakery here in Portland that makes terrific scones. Cranberry walnut are my favorite but blueberry oatmeal are a good second choice.

L
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:52:27 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 07:09:43 am »
its 8.53am here!

Bread and gravy? CRAZY! (But no more than you lot think deep fried pizza is so I guess we're even!!)

What exactly is deep fried pizza? Is it an actual pizza fried (an Italian would find this extremely insulting!) or somekind of turnover stuffed with cheese and tomato sauce?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:27 am »
What exactly is deep fried pizza? Is it an actual pizza fried

Yes, Phillip told us  in Alberta about this strange culinary 'feast'  ;D. I have to say it doesn't sounds kinda strange ...  :-\

an Italian would find this extremely insulting!

probably!  :laugh:

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:38 am »
What exactly is deep fried pizza? Is it an actual pizza fried (an Italian would find this extremely insulting!) or somekind of turnover stuffed with cheese and tomato sauce?

Its a normal frozen pizza like you'd get in the supermarket - fried!

So not an authentic pizza cos - well its frozen! - and cos its of a generally plain varierty with not much topping - as I guess that would cause problems with the oil etc etc, as it'd all fall off into the oils so

cheese and tomato, cheese and onion, mushroom frozen pizza generally.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/