Author Topic: Notes on a Scandal  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Notes on a Scandal
« on: February 17, 2007, 01:18:49 pm »
I went to see Notes on a Scandal last night, staring Dame Judi Dentch, her performance just blew me away.

We have had a lot of discussion about gay themed movies, but few that were lesbian themed, I was wondering what others made of this movie. Seeing her aging, repressed character furtively pursue Sheba was both painful and scary for me.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Notes on a Scandal
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 03:00:35 pm »
This is one I've read about and would really like to see. Did Cate Blanchett play Sheba? I want to see a movie this weekend and it will either be Notes or Venus.

Would you consider moving this over to Arts & Entertainment?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 08:39:05 pm »
This is one I've read about and would really like to see. Did Cate Blanchett play Sheba? I want to see a movie this weekend and it will either be Notes or Venus.

Would you consider moving this over to Arts & Entertainment?

Yes, you are right, I will both consider and do just that.

Cate Blanchet did play Sheba, she was more gorgeous than emotionally deep I thought. I saw the preview for Venus, it looked good too.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:13:44 am »
I finally watched Notes on a Scandal tonight and quite enjoyed it despite the politically incorrect premise of the psychotic predatory lesbian, lol! It reminded me of a movie from 1980 called Windows in which Talia Shire gets being terrosized by a psychotic lesbian played by Elizabeth Ashley.  I'm surprised it was never mentioned in reviews for this movie.

The performances were great and Judy Dench certainly had some great lines but more importantly, that kid, he is such a cutie!  Definitely a good career ahead of him, that's for sure!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 01:08:54 pm »
I bought this DVD recently but haven't watched it yet.  I must remedy that this weekend.
Dame Dench has got to be one of my favorite actresses alive...

I finally watched Notes on a Scandal tonight and quite enjoyed it despite the politically incorrect premise of the psychotic predatory lesbian, lol! It reminded me of a movie from 1980 called Windows in which Talia Shire gets being terrosized by a psychotic lesbian played by Elizabeth Ashley.  I'm surprised it was never mentioned in reviews for this movie.

I would hope that it wasn't mentioned because the fact that she was a lesbian does not mean that she can not be psychotic or predatory.  In order words, the fact that she was psychotic and happened to be a lesbian should not somehow be a politically incorrect premise because we all should know better than to make a generalization about all lesbians from that...the same way we wouldn't consider it politically incorrect if she were straight and psychotic .. 
Convoluted enough for ya?.. 8)

Can't wait to check out the movie..

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:40:02 pm »
I bought this DVD recently but haven't watched it yet.  I must remedy that this weekend.
Dame Dench has got to be one of my favorite actresses alive...

I would hope that it wasn't mentioned because the fact that she was a lesbian does not mean that she can not be psychotic or predatory.  In order words, the fact that she was psychotic and happened to be a lesbian should not somehow be a politically incorrect premise because we all should know better than to make a generalization about all lesbians from that...the same way we wouldn't consider it politically incorrect if she were straight and psychotic .. 
Convoluted enough for ya?.. 8)

Can't wait to check out the movie..

I know what you mean and I agree.  It's just that there are so few films with lesbian (or gay) main characters that it's too bad that when when we get one she turns out to be so despicable.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:47:59 pm »
I know what you mean and I agree.  It's just that there are so few films with lesbian (or gay) main characters that it's too bad that when when we get one she turns out to be so despicable.

I know, I guess my point was that we shouldn't associate the fact that the character is despicable/heroic to their sexual orientation, either as a part or consequence thereof.  :) 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 02:43:15 am »
I finally watched it too. 
It was a good movie - Dame Judi and Cate B. gave solid performances as expected.