Author Topic: What year was Jane Wyman born?  (Read 3041 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
What year was Jane Wyman born?
« on: September 11, 2007, 03:20:47 pm »
For women of a certain age, the year of their birth is often shrouded in mystery. Jane Wyman, star of screen and television, and Ronald Reagan's first wife, is one such lady. I have read several obituaries and there are discrepancies in the year of her birth. What's your guess? How old was Jane when she died yesterday?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: What year was Jane Wyman born?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:16 pm »
Since most folks think ladies shave a few years off their age I chose the oldest one 1914.  ;) I loved her in Johnny Belinda and later when she was the matriarch on Falcons Crest.   Seems to me she was always billed, at least later in life, as "Miss Jane Wyman"... like an extra measure or respect.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 03:40:27 pm »
Definately 1914. I loved Jane Wyman. She was a fabulous actress and I will miss her, but I'm grateful she lived such a long life.

She was a wonderful woman.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:47:01 pm »
I really didn't guess. I heard someone--must have been Brian Williams on the NBC news last evening--say she was 93, so I just did the math.

Especially in her later/Falcon Crest years, Jane Wyman always reminded me of my favorite aunt, my mother's oldest sister, and even a little bit of my mother.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:48:54 pm »
Well, 1914 is the current favorite hands down, and that's what I went with myself. Reagan was born in 1911, so 1914 seemed a more plausible choice out of the contenders.

Veering a bit off-topic, but I confess it irritates the hell out of me when people act secretive about their age. This has traditionally been a woman's prerogative, but more recently even some gay men have gotten in on the act. I mean--what's the big deal? Isn't being seventy-six, say, preferable to being, like, dead? And why can't we wear our ages like badges of honor, testaments to our resilience and fortitude in facing this frequently challenging world?

Just my two cents' worth on our free soapbox...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 03:56:20 pm »
Veering a bit off-topic, but I confess it irritates the hell out of me when people act secretive about their age. This has traditionally been a woman's prerogative.

Years ago, when I was editor of a genealogical society journal, my predecessor as editor died. A member of the society's board wrote an obituary for inclusion in the journal. She didn't want to include the deceased's birthdate because then people would be able to figure out how old she was, "and that wasn't very lady-like."

Imagine. Not wanting to give someone's birthdate because it wasn't lady-like. In a genealogical journal!  :laugh:

But more recently even some gay men have gotten in on the act. I mean--what's the big deal? Isn't being seventy-six, say, preferable to being, like, dead? And why can't we wear our ages like badges of honor, testaments to our resilience and fortitude in facing this frequently challenging world?

That's fine--as long as you aren't trying to hook up on the Internet!  :P  >:(  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.