Author Topic: Sean Penn to play HARVEY MILK  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Sean Penn to play HARVEY MILK
« on: September 12, 2007, 11:18:38 am »
and Matt Damon to play the assassin.  What do ppl think about Sean Penn playing Harvey Milk?  Will ppl go and see the movie if Matt Damon is in it as well.  Will it have crossover appeal.   Now both Bryan Singer and Gus Van Sant are trying to get their own Harvey Milk movie made . It's possible only one could get made. Where can they get the financing for two films about Harvey Milk? 

=============================================================================================
Both Sean Penn and Matt Damon have been signed up to play leads in the Gus Van Sant film of the 1970's San Francisco politician Harvey Milk.

Although it seems that Sean Penn is a definite for the film, with an uncertain start date Matt Damon may not be able to star, but we'll have to wait and see how that one turns out. Penn is set to play Harvey Milk, and Damon his assassin Dan White.

There's another film looking at Harvey Milk,'s life in development, and that one is currently under the eye of Bryan Singer. Seeing a film from these two Directors on the same topic would be very interesting and could well be poles apart. However both have been through a very long development and both are still far from being made.

Bryan Singer's version is entitled The Mayor of Castro Street while Gus Van Saint.'s isn't yet carrying a title. Both tell the story of Milk who rose to power as an official in San Francisco and was recognised as the first openly gay official in the US, however he was assassinated along with the Mayor of the time George Moscone by a fellow official Dan White.

Singer's version was last rewritten by Chris McQuarrie and the project has already had a lifetime of some fifteen years. Saint's has been written by Dustin Lance Black and they are currently looking for a buyer.

Sant sounds like he's ahead of the Singer film, especially with this casting news from Yahoo News, Damon and Penn would be great for the film and match off well with each other. Penn is an especially huge draw for the film.

Link:  http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2007/09/penn_and_damon_on_milk_biograp.html

It's also being reported on Gay.com as if Damon has committed to the film and will play the assassin.  Isn't it hard to find ppl to play notorious assassins? Good for Damon.  Something other then an Ocean's movie or a Bourne movie. Yep, I know he was in THE DEPARTED, but I think this will a more testing role.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Sean Penn to play HARVEY MILK
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:07:20 pm »
What do you think?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:12:49 pm »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 02:08:04 pm »
I'd love to see another movie about Harvey Milk. I watched a TV movie about him 10 or 15 years ago. I don't remember who starred in it. It would be wonderful if they would produce a major cinematic movie about his life.

Yes, I think Sean Penn and Matt Damon look fairly close to the characters they will be portraying. A little makeup, a change of hair styles and they could probably pull it off.

Thanks for telling us about this Karl and thanks for the pictures, Paul!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:12:53 pm »
Wow. I'd love to see this movie made also. I read The Mayor Of Castro Street and loved it. If I ever read it again though I will refuse to read the ending with the trial and all. It made my blood boil.

At first I thought Sean Penn. No way! But looking at the picture comparisons. Maybe. (thanks for posting those)

When I heard Will Smith was going to play Mohammad Ali I thought "no way. They look nothing alike" But when I saw Will Smith in the movie I could not believe it! He really pulled it off. So Sean Penn may work too.