Author Topic: TOTW 08/07: Was Alma afraid to confront Ennis after seeing him with Jack?  (Read 14075 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
"aw, he's from Texas, where they do stuff like that."

that is absolutely true, we do that kind of stuff here in TX.

I think that Alma was so shocked by what she had seen that she didn't know what to do or say other than ask Ennis to pick up some more cigarettes. That shows you the power of those addictive cigarettes. Nothing in Alma's life experiences would have prepared her for the sight of Ennis kissing a real live Texan! Alma even may have blamed herself, thinking that she wasn't "good enough" for Ennis. Finally, a few years later, I think Alma got the picture and yelled at Ennis what she should have said years sooner: "get out of my house, Ennis del Mar!"  for what its worth

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
As you can see, Brokeback Mountain, had many parallels to my own life, but most importantly as I watched it (then aged 55), for the first time, I finally realized and understood both the emotions and fears that both my father and mother must have gone through all those years before.

Your post touched me deeply.  Thanks for sharing such personal memories. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
May I say likewise like Marie does that your post is touching !!

Au revoir,
hugs! And we need to think more about issues in Brokeback Mountain movie / Annie's story !!

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
I think Alma was too shocked to react.  She saw something new about her husband, and I don’t think that she would have even, in those few moments, thought about what it meant for him, for her, for her family-I think she was just so astounded and overwhelmed that she didn’t have room for thought (or too many thoughts which didn’t allow her to think of one).

When Ennis came home the next day, and she was sitting at the table, I sensed a calmness about her.  She didn’t jump up when he arrived; I think she may well have raised what had happened (depending on how he reacted to her).  Of course, he arrived in a flurry, storming impatiently in and leaving like a tornado.  When she went to the window to see Jack, she looked like she could kill him in her rage.   

Over the years her bitterness grew however I saw her character develop a strength that wasn’t present at the start-she would look at the postcard and still leave it out for him, and she stood up to him when she was in bed.  And of course, she was the one who filed for divorce.

I don’t think she planned to bring it up with him at Thanksgiving, but I definitely think it was on the cards. 

She had reached security with Monroe, who had clearly wanted to be with her from the beginning.  She felt stable and loved, and was in a position of strength, knowing that she was a good wife and mother, that she wasn’t to blame.

I think the words she used are the most telling - she told Ennis not to try and fool her no more, she knew what it meant.  She had felt stupid, had felt that Ennis thought she was a fool and wanted him to know that she wasn’t, that she knew.  Interestingly enough though, she didn’t mention that she had seen them-only that she had known from the note on the case.  I wonder why. 

Offline Artiste

It was more tha shocking Sandy ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS

I think the words she used are the most telling - she told Ennis not to try and fool her no more, she knew what it meant.  She had felt stupid, had felt that Ennis thought she was a fool and wanted him to know that she wasn’t, that she knew.  Interestingly enough though, she didn’t mention that she had seen them-only that she had known from the note on the case.  I wonder why. 

I think that Ennis was the love of Alma's life and this is reflected in the time that she took to divorce him, and the lingering bitterness after the divorce. Alma was very disappointed, but she picked herself up, went on with her life and did fine. Her dream of a life with the man she loved was destroyed, but she survived. And that is why I have always admired the Alma character. She reached into herself, and found the strength to make a new life. I just wish the Jack had found that strength much earlier when it was clear that Ennis would never be able to accept his love.

Offline Artiste

Well said brokeplex, but it was also more than that ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
issues between people who are in strained marriages are always complicated, I think that the root of Alma's reluctance to just come out and confront Ennis right away, is her deep love for Ennis and perhaps her fear that she was at fault. She probably also had a difficult time getting her mind around the image of two men in a passionate kissing embrace. Nothing in her life could have prepared Alma for confronting this issue. But once Alma understood where she stood with Ennis, she played her cards very well.

Offline Artiste

Meric brokeplex !

Indeed as you say:
    She probably also had a difficult time getting her mind around the image of two men in a passionate kissing embrace. Nothing in her life could have prepared Alma for confronting this issue.           

Brokeplex: it seems that she did not suspect at all that Ennis will be be kissing another man ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Meric brokeplex !

Indeed as you say:
    She probably also had a difficult time getting her mind around the image of two men in a passionate kissing embrace. Nothing in her life could have prepared Alma for confronting this issue.           

Brokeplex: it seems that she did not suspect at all that Ennis will be be kissing another man ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I think that you are correct, before she actually saw the incident, she had no clue that it could even occur to Ennis. It was a total shock to her. I think her little world fell apart at that moment. But then this is where I learned right away to admire Alma. Instead of becoming a whining griper, she adapted, she survived, and she made a new marriage with Monroe later on. Alma could have easily become a professional victim, bemoaning her marriage mistake. Instead she bided her time and survived.