Author Topic: Top Ten Films of all Time!!  (Read 24691 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Top Ten Films of all Time!!
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 01:21:17 pm »

SUMMERTIME 1950's Katharine Hepburn movie filmed in Venice, Italy. Hysterical! Katharine Hepburn at her comedic best!  I love the scene where she falls into the canal!  :laugh: 

David, I loved SUMMERTIME also.  I found it more sad than funny, though. 

Here's my list.  I'm using "watchability" as my criterion.  These I could--and have--seen over and over again.

Brokeback Mountain duh.

Casablanca never disappoints. So stirring.

The Wizard of Oz brings out the little kid in me.

Diva  by Jean-Jacques Beneix was the first film I was obsessed over.  And it's a story of obsession.

Some Like it Hot by Billy Wilder is the funniest film ever made.  Tony Curtis: "Who's the lucky girl?"  Jack Lemmon (wistfully):  "I am."

Field of Dreams is such a tear-jerker for me.

Mon Oncle d'Amerique by Alan Resnais got me interested in psychiatry.

What's Up, Doc? by Peter Bogdonavich with Barbra and a delicious Ryan O'Neal manages to distill every slapstick film ever made.

The Hours is a masterpiece.

A Christmas Memory based on Truman Capote's short story with the brilliant Geraldine Page.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 01:44:50 pm »

If we are getting to have more choices.  here is my 11-20

Arthur,,,,wondererful and lasting movie...I still watch it again and again...

Gone With the Wind

Chinatown

Psycho

2001 A Space Odyssey

The Godfather two....and one

Titanic

The Unforgiven

Full Metal Jacket,,,,Platoon     because they told the story !!!           :'( 

Jarhead....same reason.

The sands of Iwo Jima.  same reason...we need to remember the sacrifices.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 10:34:51 pm »
Here's another one....

THE LONG LONG TRAILER Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Anyone who has ever tried to tow an RV behind their car or truck will LOVE this movie!  :D

I loved Madge Blake's cameo as Aunt Anastasia. "OH MY ROSES!! MY BEAUTIFUL ROSES!!!!"  :laugh:  :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 12:08:49 am »
Here's another one....

THE LONG LONG TRAILER Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Anyone who has ever tried to tow an RV behind their car or truck will LOVE this movie!  :D

I loved Madge Blake's cameo as Aunt Anastasia. "OH MY ROSES!! MY BEAUTIFUL ROSES!!!!"  :laugh:  :laugh:
Yes, wonderful movie! Thanks for reminding me of this one, David. I loved the sequence where Desi and Lucille make the perilous, nerve-shattering trek over the mountain, with the trailer overloaded, unbeknownst to Desi's character. As someone who is phobic about heights, I can relate to that, but I love how the sequence can make you laugh at the characters' fear, and thus helps you laugh at yourself.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 12:19:00 am »
Yes, wonderful movie! Thanks for reminding me of this one, David. I loved the sequence where Desi and Lucille make the perilous, nerve-shattering trek over the mountain, with the trailer overloaded, unbeknownst to Desi's character. As someone who is phobic about heights, I can relate to that, but I love how the sequence can make you laugh at the characters' fear, and thus helps you laugh at yourself.

What made it even funnier was she had the entire trailer full of rocks!!  :laugh:

Remember that? Crazy movie!!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 12:20:30 am »

I also loved the scene where she's trying to fix dinner while the trailer is moving! She ended up wearing most of it.  :laugh:

moremojo

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 12:24:41 am »

I also loved the scene where she's trying to fix dinner while the trailer is moving! She ended up wearing most of it.  :laugh:
Oh wow, David, you are bringing all those details back to life for me! I'm gonna have to see if I can rent this one sometime.

Did you know the director was Vincente Minnelli, the same man who helmed Meet Me in St. Louis? No wonder I love these two films so much.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 03:59:11 am »
Oh wow, David, you are bringing all those details back to life for me! I'm gonna have to see if I can rent this one sometime.

Did you know the director was Vincente Minnelli, the same man who helmed Meet Me in St. Louis? No wonder I love these two films so much.

I didn't know that Scott! But it helps to explain why both of these films are so good!  :D

I should have added LOVE STORY (1970 I think) to my list.

Tear jerker. Whew!!  :'( :'(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 09:14:13 am »
Field of Dreams

I never got this one. 

Try watching it with your father...I did once.

A Christmas Memory

But I got this one.  I thought of mentioning it on my list.  Technically, it's a made-for-TV special.  I figured I'd save it for a "Favorite Holiday Specials" thread (which has probably already been done).  Whatever.  It's wonderful. 

It kinda reminds me of "Brokeback Mountain." Both started as short stories; both were then filmed and rather faithfully followed the original stories; both were about outsiders who developed a deep, loving relationship in the rather short time they were together, a relationship that made their hard lives happier. 

I saw on IMDb that a sequel of sorts was made in 1967 called "The Thanksgiving Visitor" http://imdb.com/title/tt0324218/.  I've never heard of nor seen it before.  Also according to IMDb, there was a remake of this one starring Patty Duke, http://imdb.com/title/tt0135187/.  I don't know how I missed it, but I don't know that I would have liked it much. 

Since I live in New York City, it's always been on my list of things to do to visit the Museum of TV and Radio often, but I never seem to get around to it.  I should take a day off and go in the coming months to see this one and its sequel.  Part of me fears that I will be overwhelmed by all that's available to me there and just short circuit.  I get that way in Blockbuster or the public library. 

How it's not a perennial classic like "It's a Wonderful Life" is beyond me.  I'd love to see it and "The Thanksgiving Visitor" released on DVD.  I can't imagine what kind of legal crap would prevent its release. 

I highly reccommend everybody see "A Christmas Memory."  At least read the short story.  You can find it on the internet in its entirety by doing a simple search on the title and Capote.  You won't be sorry. 

Kelly, I know I was technically cheating with this one, but I love it nonetheless.  I found it on VHS for 99cents at my local video store.  It's not Christmas without watching this film.

"The Thanksgiving Visitor" was a later short story, good but not as powerful as "A Christmas Memory".  I didn't know it had been filmed.  Thanks for that.  I'll look for it. 

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 12:54:56 pm »
Some will agree some will not and I'm sure each of us has their own list they can make... Here's mine just for fun:  They are the top ten best so all are equal to each other within the top ten.. i.e. # 1 is no better than # 7.

1. A Room with A View. Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Helena Bonham Carter ...Director: James Ivory, Awards: 3 Academy Awards, nominated for 8 total, it was Merchant-Ivory's first big hit /  E.M. Forster's turn-of-the-century novel about Edwardian manners and in my humble opinion, a "flawless film"... if anything human can be flawless!

2. Gone with The Wind. Starring: Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Director: Victor Fleming, Awards: 10 Academy Awards.

3. A Thin Red Line. ( A personal favorite, the "anti-war-war movie",  Starring: Nick Nolte, Sean Penn and many other great actors. Director: Terrence Malick, Awards: Nominated for 7 Academy Awards, it won none, but personally I thought it better than Saving Private Ryan which got 5 Oscars.

4. Gandhi Starring: Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergen ...Director: Richard Attenborough, Awards: 8 Academy Awards.

5. Brokeback Mountain  Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger ...Director: Ang Lee. Awards:  3 Academy Awards Winner

6. Ben Hur  Starring: Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins ...Director: William Wyler, Awards: 11 Academy Awards.

7. Lawrence of Arabia  Starring: Peter O'Toole, Alec Guinness ...Director: David Lean, Awards: 7 Academy Awards.

8. A Street Car Named Desire  Starring: Marlon Brando, Vivien Leigh, Director: Elia Kazan, Awards: 4 Academy Awards.

9.  The Lion in Winter. Starring: Peter O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, and in his film debut Anthony Hopkins, Director: Anthony Harvey, Awards: 7 Academy Awards.  I love this film because the family was soooooo dysfunctional... like mine!  LOL

10. The Wizard of Oz  Starring: Judy Garland, Frank Morgan et al , Director: Victor Fleming, Awards: 2 Academy Awards: it was nominated for best picture that year but lost to Gone with the Wind, of course, but still a history making and wonderful film.

There you have it, yes, I go for serious drama and classics in film, but have room for fantasy and music too... who can forget Dorothy and her pals.  I haven't looked at all at what other people said, so you got an honest list from me without influence from others, but I will look at others just for the sheer interest and joy of it.  I do love movies!